2017-2018 Howard University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish Howard would either interview me or reject me already :( the wait is gruesome

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Rejection is far better than waiting not knowing your faith. If I didn't make the cut tell me immediately so I can start preparing for the next cycle. I am still young to try again with better stats.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
According to HUCM’s admissions timetable on their website, on March 15th we should have gotten an Interm email who have not been invited to interview & beginning mid March “final” emails should have been sent to applicants who are not being considered for an interview. Have any of you all received these emails? I haven’t. Not sure what that means, maybe they will be interviewing longer this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
According to HUCM’s admissions timetable on their website, on March 15th we should have gotten an Interm email who have not been invited to interview & beginning mid March “final” emails should have been sent to applicants who are not being considered for an interview. Have any of you all received these emails? I haven’t. Not sure what that means, maybe they will be interviewing longer this cycle.
Sorry for the weird verbage! Just waking up :) *On March 15th those who have not been invited to interview should have received an Interim email.

Sorry for the weird verbage! Just waking up :) *On March 15th those who have not been invited to interview should have received an Interim email.

Looks like they interview through April with II approximately one month prior. If anyone has information on their last interview date, that will probably indicate if those still waiting might still receive an II or if they should expect the interim email.

Looks like they interview through April with II approximately one month prior. If anyone has information on their last interview date, that will probably indicate if those still waiting might still receive an II or if they should expect the interim email.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the only interview date that has been given out for April so far is the 3rd.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the only interview date that has been given out for April so far is the 3rd.
Actually, the 3rd and the 10th have been given out, leaving the 17th and 24th open (Tuesdays) as well as the Wednesday slots, since Howard interviews on Tues/Weds.

Has any who interviewed early February heard back yet?
Interviewed early Feb, received a letter in the mail about 2 weeks ago saying I was placed on their strong alternate wait list and that I will hear back by May 7th

Interviewed early Feb, received a letter in the mail about 2 weeks ago saying I was placed on their strong alternate wait list and that I will hear back by May 7th

I just received a letter like that

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So technically speaking, it;s mid-March. So technically we are suppose to be getting a letter from the interim dean that we aren't getting invited to an interview... Idk what Howard is doing right now

So technically speaking, it;s mid-March. So technically we are suppose to be getting a letter from the interim dean that we aren't getting invited to an interview... Idk what Howard is doing right now
I am a current reapplicant. For the 2016 entering class, I received this email on May 26, 2016 (that year, similar information was also dispersed about March 15 being the day to inform those who will not be invited to interview).... so yes, it's hard to tell when the email will be sent this year. All the best nonetheless.

Just spoke with Howard Admissions they said they will be sending out II for the next 8 days then rejections in early April.

May the odds be in our favor!

Reactions: 12 users
Just spoke with Howard Admissions they said they will be sending out II for the next 8 days then rejections in early April.

May the odds be in our favor!
Do you mean they’ll be sending some over the next 8 days or they are sending out interviews for the next 8 remaining interview days? Lol sorry the wording confused me.

Going to withdraw my application today. I have gotten a full tuition scholarship to my top choice institution. I'll still be in the city though ;)

Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 14 users
Going to withdraw my application today. I have gotten a full tuition scholarship to my top choice institution. I'll still be in the city though ;)

Good luck to everyone!!

Wow!! Congratulations. Will you be withdrawing from all the places you were accepted too?

Any updates for February interviewees? Acceptances/rejections/waitlist ?

I interviewed 2/13 and still haven't heard anything back as well. Getting a little worried at this point

I interviewed 2/20 haven’t heard back either

I called last Friday and was told there was a delay in having the Dean sign the letters. Not sure what’s really going on but hopefully good news to come soon!

I interviewed on the 27th of February. And I called today to ask for a status and they said they sent me a mail on the 15th of this month. If it was an acceptance shouldn’t it be by email first? Does anyone have a clue of what I should expect?

Hello There, interviewed early Feb and was place on their strong alternate wait list as well. My question is how many people are usually put on that waitlist, what specific % of it get off. What's the difference between that waitlist and the regular one. I'm very confused. Thanks

I interviewed on the 27th of February. And I called today to ask for a status and they said they sent me a mail on the 15th of this month. If it was an acceptance shouldn’t it be by email first? Does anyone have a clue of what I should expect?

lol expect to wait for a while, a lot of us have interviewed in early February, and we still haven't heard back yet. I wouldn't lose hope yet though. I read in a couple of comments earlier in the thread where students got accepted through regular mail with no email!

lol expect to wait for a while, a lot of us have interviewed in early February, and we still haven't heard back yet. I wouldn't lose hope yet though. I read in a couple of comments earlier in the thread where students got accepted through regular mail with no email!

They are playing with my emotions lol

Hello There, interviewed early Feb and was place on their strong alternate wait list as well. My question is how many people are usually put on that waitlist, what specific % of it get off. What's the difference between that waitlist and the regular one. I'm very confused. Thanks
It is my understanding from reading the letter that students on the strong alternate wait list have priority over students on the regular wait list and that our apps don't need to be re-reviewed, instead we are pulled off the list as seats become available. As far as percentage accepted from this wait list, I have no idea. During my interview (early feb) the dean said that all seats had already been filled, but that they over accept students because they anticipate students to not accept. If I had to guess, I don't think we will see any real movement from their wait lists until after the April 30th deadline.

I would still advise you to reach out to admissions. Trust me, it matters. You want to be at the top of their minds and show that you want to be there. Howard does not just go off of numbers, they go off of fit. If you have an update, send it. You can even email to ask for an update and remind them that you want to be here. I can't guarantee that it will get you in, but I can say that HU admissions definitely take that into consideration.

Reactions: 2 users
The forum is not allowing me to post the link.

There are articles saying he did report it

This "officials stealing $1 million from financial aid" is a distraction. What does it have to do with my interview? I want my interview. Give me my interview first, then we talk about fiduciary issues.

Reactions: 17 users
Are they still sending IIs? Just curious. I've pretty much given up hope anyway.

So...are we gonna talk about Tyrone or nah? I withdrew partially because I was told financial aid/ scholarship info wouldn't be available til June.

Wonder if this is even remotely why:
Howard University fires six employees after investigation into misappropriated funding

:(

Apparently Tyrone was distributing emails telling fellow students that all the funds were gone and that they'd have to look at external scholarships. Meanwhile, anyone got their pitchforks and torches ready?

Do these issues affect medical school matriculants though? It seems like most people affected are undergraduates. (Although it’s unfortunate)

From my limited understanding, this should not affect medical school. But I will definitely find out and let all interested parties know. Stay tuned.

How badly does this financial aid issue affect low-income/poverty family kids applying to medical school?

I finally got a letter in the mail and I was also put on the strong alternate waitlist. My letter was also marked March 15. I interviewed feb 13

I finally got a letter in the mail and I was also put on the strong alternate waitlist. My letter was also marked March 15. I interviewed feb 13
+1 "strong wait-listed" today as well. Interviewed on 2/14. Anyone know how the movement on waitlist happens?

My question is if Howard is no longer giving out regular acceptances and only strong wait-listing people? Does anyone have any insight on this?

It’s extremely late in the cycle and it wouldn’t surprise me if the class was already full. I could have sworn someone above said that they interviewed mid February and the Dean said the class is full (can someone from a February interview confirm or deny this statement)?
Yes I interviewed Feb 6th and at our interview the dean said they already accepted a full class size (~150) but that they over accept students (as do most if not all schools). Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I've seen any acceptances after the last wave in late Jan. I think they are waiting for more seats to open up after the April 30th deadline.

Just got my letter and now email as well (weird?) for Strong Alternate. Really praying it becomes an acceptance