2017-2018 Howard University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally heard back after interviewing on 2/13. I’m on the strong alternate waitlist and should hear back regarding seat availability by May 7.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was everyone here a feb interview?

Reactions: 1 user
A previous post said about 20-30 spots will open up by May. Howard refused to give me the exact number of people on the Strong Alternate Waitlist though, but I don’t think there would be up to 30 people on the list

Reactions: 1 users
A previous post said about 20-30 spots will open up by May. Howard refused to give me the exact number of people on the Strong Alternate Waitlist though, but I don’t think there would be up to 30 people on the list

I think it's about 15 people (that posted in here) so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm praying that we all get in by May 1st and I am not sure if they rank the list or if it depends on when you had your interview.

I’ve been hearing that it’s a good thing to be waitlisted

I have not been waitlisted. I contacted them last Monday and they told me my file is still being reviewed. I interviewed in February.

Did you interview on April 3rd? I think I was in your group! I got the "strong waitlist" email too :(
Yes, I interviewed on April 3rd! I'm just hoping that there is some significant movement for allowing the strong waitlisted people to get an official acceptance soon :whistle:

How do scholarships work here? How are they given out? Should you accept what you are initially offered or try to negotiate?

Also, when is orientation?

I may be freaking out but something is telling me that the strong alternate list is just a ... standard list because if it's not ranked how can they guarantee seats for us all by May 7th, also i have not seen anybody on a regular list? I have check previous years, no strong alternate list..
If by May 7th seats are not opening, are we just on regular list or rejected?
Someone please help me understand

I may be freaking out but something is telling me that the strong alternate list is just a ... standard list because if it's not ranked how can they guarantee seats for us all by May 7th, also i have not seen anybody on a regular list? I have check previous years, no strong alternate list..
If by May 7th seats are not opening, are we just on regular list or rejected?
Someone please help me understand
I feel exactly the same way. Although I met someone on here that said they were on the regular waitlist. I keep wondering the committee standard for taking people off the strong alternate waitlist since it is not ranked

Just got put on the Strong Alternate Wait List, as well. Interviewed on 4/10, so I'm with the last batch of people that interviewed.

Just received an email about being put on the strong alternate waitlist. Interviewed April 11th...the last interview date

strong alternate list, 4/10

edit: do any M1s know if strong alternate list = no financial aid??

I feel exactly the same way. Although I met someone on here that said they were on the regular waitlist. I keep wondering the committee standard for taking people off the strong alternate waitlist since it is not ranked

I have a friend who’s on the regular waitlist also. They said their letter had no mention of May 7 as a deadline for notification. According to another friend who’s an M1 at Howard, it’s not uncommon for ppl to drop from the class at varying points of the summer, causing Howard to call people off the waitlist even in June/July. I think they have 2 waitlist b/c they’re ancipating a lot of movement and want the class to be totally full.

*edit: missed a word

I have a friend who’s on the regular waitlist also. They said their letter had no mention of May 7 as a deadline for notification. According to another friend who’s an M1 at Howard, it’s not uncommon for ppl to drop from the class at varying points of the summer, causing Howard to call people off the waitlist even in June/July. I think they have 2 waitlist b/c they’re ancipating a lot of movement and want the class to be totally full.

*edit: missed a word

But what do you think will happen to us all in the strong waitlist if by May 7 there is not enough seats for all of us?

But what do you think will happen to us all in the strong waitlist if by May 7 there is not enough seats for all of us?
I’m not sure. Based off what my M1 friend has told me, we’ll probably remain on the waitlist to be called up if people drop from the class throughout the summer.

strong alternate waitlist yesterday; interviewed 4/11

Long time lurker, first-time poster here. Accepted off Strong Alt list today via email! Interviewed 2/14. Keep hope alive!

Reactions: 10 users
Long time lurker, first-time poster here. Accepted off Strong Alt list today via email! Interviewed 2/14. Keep hope alive!
Congratulations! Safe to assume the movements on the strong waitlist has already begun. Perhaps some accepted students have already started declining their seats; the rest of us are next in line for our miracles.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations! If I may ask, when did you receive an email for the strong alternate wait list? I am assuming they are giving out acceptances on a first come first serve basis.

Congratulations! If I may ask, when did you receive an email for the strong alternate wait list? I am assuming they are giving out acceptances on a first come first serve basis.

Sure! I got a letter in the mail about 6 weeks after the interview (2/14) that was stamped "March 15th". I then got an email with a pdf saying the same thing a few days later.

Hey guys, today I was given conditional acceptance through the PARP program! I interviewed on March 27th. The PARP program starts on May 21st and ends June 29th. Best of luck to all of those still waiting to hear back! I'll answer any questions you guys may have and best of luck to those still waiting. My fingers are crossed for all of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, today I was given conditional acceptance through the PARP program! I interviewed on March 27th. The PARP program starts on May 21st and ends June 29th. Best of luck to all of those still waiting to hear back! I'll answer any questions you guys may have and best of luck to those still waiting. My fingers are crossed for all of you!
congrats! That's awesome! Is this is the first post-interview correspondence you have received? Or were you put on the strong/regular alt list prior to this?

I'm on an unranked waitlist at another school and it's not on a first-come first serve basis. Howard is for sure a bit more private with how it's deciding to take people off the list but I'm wondering why you are assuming this? I'm definitely a bit confused about how they are taking people off the list.

I'm on an unranked waitlist at another school and it's not on a first-come first serve basis. Howard is for sure a bit more private with how it's deciding to take people off the list but I'm wondering why you are assuming this? I'm definitely a bit confused about how they are taking people off the list.
Well, I only assumed that because we have not heard a single success story of someone being pulled off the wait list until today. Coincidentally, it happened to be someone who interviewed in February right when we first started seeing the term "strong" alternate wait list. However, I do not have enough information to definitively say that it is on a "first come first serve basis" until we hear back from other people who will be taken off the "strong" alternate wait list. Don't get me wrong though! I am definitely rooting for everyone on here to receive an acceptance! I wish everyone the best of luck in the next couple of weeks. KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

Congratz!!! Was it a regular acceptance or was it an acceptance via the PARP program? Was the email sent via the admissions email. Thanks.

I don’t think it’s on a first come first serve basis. I interviewed on 2/6 and I’m still on the strong waitlist...keeping hope alive!

Reactions: 2 users
Well, I only assumed that because we have not heard a single success story of someone being pulled off the wait list until today. Coincidentally, it happened to be someone who interviewed in February right when we first started seeing the term "strong" alternate wait list. However, I do not have enough information to definitively say that it is on a "first come first serve basis" until we hear back from other people who will be taken off the "strong" alternate wait list. Don't get me wrong though! I am definitely rooting for everyone on here to receive an acceptance! I wish everyone the best of luck in the next couple of weeks. KEEP HOPE ALIVE!
ahh makes sense! Yeah that's a good point. ahh the wait is killing me. Hopefully we will all get in!

Congratz!!! Was it a regular acceptance or was it an acceptance via the PARP program? Was the email sent via the admissions email. Thanks.

Thanks! It was a regular acceptance, and the email was sent from Sharmon Jones.

Reactions: 2 users