2017-2018 Howard University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats! That's awesome! Is this is the first post-interview correspondence you have received? Or were you put on the strong/regular alt list prior to this?
This was my first post-interview correspondence for the most part. I was not strong/regular alt listed before hand at all. I had called some weeks after my interview at which time they told me that my file had to go back to the committee. I inferred this had something to do with PARP given threads from previous years. Also my 1st interviewer spoke with me about it and said i'd be a good fit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 2/20. Rejected today

Sorry to hear. This was my second time applying and I was getting ready for a 3rd before hearing the good news today. Hope things worked out for you somewhere else.

This was my first post-interview correspondence for the most part. I was not strong/regular alt listed before hand at all. I had called some weeks after my interview at which time they told me that my file had to go back to the committee. I inferred this had something to do with PARP given threads from previous years. Also my 1st interviewer spoke with me about it and said i'd be a good fit.
Congrats!!! What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking. I’m applying next cycle and I’m open to being considered for PARP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got off the strong waitlist today. Interviewed 4/2. I really wish I could accept this placement. DC is great. The people seemed amazing, lack of competition was inviting, and I loved all the melanin. I will be crying all the way to the mail box. Although my brain is sure my heart isn't positive I'm making the right choice.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!!! What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking. I’m applying next cycle and I’m open to being considered for PARP.
3.3 GPA 505 MCAT, shadowing, leadership, volunteer work, did a semester of post-bacc, stuff like that. From what my interviewer told me, the program is for individuals who have been out of school for a couple of years or so and may need an extra adjustment period to get back into the swing of things. So I'm guessing the program is geared more towards non-traditional students who took gap year(s) without formal post-bacc/masters programs. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Got off the strong waitlist today. Interviewed 4/2. I really wish I could accept this placement. DC is great. The people seemed amazing, lack of competition was inviting, and I loved all the melanin. I will be crying all the way to the mail box. Although my brain is sure my heart isn't positive I'm making the right choice.
First, Congratulations!!! Second, I am sure that it is a hard decision, but you have to do what is best for you!

Just got accepted off the strong alternate waitlist! Interviewed 2/13

Reactions: 13 users
Accepted from strong alternate list interviewed 2/6

Reactions: 13 users
Just got accepted off the strong alternate waitlist! Interviewed 4/3

Keep Hope ALIVE!

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when they’ll start releasing financial aid packages?

Accepted off the strong alternate!!! Interviewed 3/27

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations to everyone being accepted from the strong waitlist, genuinely happy for you.

Currently praying for some more acceptances for all of us. My anxiety has reached a peak never attained during this whole cycle, the past 72hr has consisted of me checking SDN every hour, my broken phone convincing myself not to check and pretend to forget about it then check again. I have lost complete focus. Anyone in that situation has advices on how to alleviate this STRESS.

Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations to everyone being accepted from the strong waitlist, genuinely happy for you.

Currently praying for some more acceptances for all of us. My anxiety has reached a peak never attained during this whole cycle, the past 72hr has consisted of me checking SDN every hour, my broken phone convincing myself not to check and pretend to forget about it then check again. I have lost complete focus. Anyone in that situation has advices on how to alleviate this STRESS.

We are literally in the same place right now. Super happy for those that got accepted but also anxiously waiting for an email. Honestly the notification from you posting this scared me because I thought more people were getting accepted and I was still not. This is stressful. lol I know this doesn't answer your question about how to alleviate stress, but I'm just saying you're not alone.

Reactions: 6 users

meditation, focusing deeply on your hobbies, keeping busy, exercise

pick a hobby to distract yourself! I took up knitting... ended up making two whole scarves

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with both of you! The anxiety is so high right now! I try to distract myself and remember that there is little/nothing that I can do at this point but wait.

To those still waiting, keep the hope alive! I looked at some of the posts from 2016-2017 hucm on student doctor network and there were people getting accepted into June! Also for those that got accepted, do you know how we can get added to the facebook group?

To those still waiting, keep the hope alive! I looked at some of the posts from 2016-2017 hucm on student doctor network and there were people getting accepted into June! Also for those that got accepted, do you know how we can get added to the facebook group?
Ms. Williams-Fowlkes will send you an email invitation with a link to join the group!

I've been following your posts for a while and I'm so super thrilled for you! Congrats!!!!!
THANK YOU!! I've been following this forum since September and I decided to start posting recently to give other people hope during this ludicrous cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted off the strong alternate waitlist via an email from Sharmon M. Jones. ! Interviewed 4/3 and I just want to encourage everyone with this testimony. In December AMCAS mistakingly sent my application to Howard AFTER the deadline. They had to contact Howard on my behalf and eventually I got an email to complete the secondary app the day before the deadline. I took my MCAT on January 24th, the scores didn't t come back until February when the class was already filled. There was little to no hope of me getting an interview but out of nowhere God blessed me with an Interview invite. Then Howard put me on the waitlist on April 17th and finally today my breakthrough came. It has been an uphill battle for me to get into my #1 choice but if God can do it for me he can definitely do it for you! Keep Hope alive!

Reactions: 23 users
Just got accepted off the strong alternate waitlist via an email from Sharmon M. Jones. ! Interviewed 4/3 and I just want to encourage everyone with this testimony. In December AMCAS mistakingly sent my application to Howard AFTER the deadline. They had to contact Howard on my behalf and eventually I got an email to complete the secondary app the day before the deadline. I took my MCAT on January 24th, the scores didn't t come back until February when the class was already filled. There was little to no hope of me getting an interview but out of nowhere God blessed me with an Interview invite. Then Howard put me on the waitlist on April 17th and finally today my breakthrough came. It has been an uphill battle for me to get into my #1 choice but if God can do it for me he can definitely do it for you! Keep Hope alive!

We thank God for His blessings on your life! Congratulations!!!

can everyone who is being accepted post their stats?
congrats to you guys <3
It will be super helpful for those of us who are applying in this upcoming cycle! :)
thanks so much !!

How do I get added to the Facebook group? I paid the deposits and they verified that they got them but I didn’t get a link

Withdrew my application. Decided to get my masters instead and reapply for MD/PhD programs. Hopefully one of you guys gets my spot... good luck!

Reactions: 9 users
Strong alternate waitlist a few weeks ago - received an email stating that the list will extend beyond the original May 7th date... does this mean I will not hear back today?

Does anyone know the specific dates for Orientation, First Day of Classes, and White Coat Ceremony? I've been going off the dates given in previous years but I haven't gotten any information yet from the school

Does anyone know the specific dates for Orientation, First Day of Classes, and White Coat Ceremony? I've been going off the dates given in previous years but I haven't gotten any information yet from the school
I called the Student Affairs Office, and they said that Orientation starts July 11th, the White Coat Ceremony is July 20th, and Classes start July 23rd.

Strong alternate waitlist a few weeks ago - received an email stating that the list will extend beyond the original May 7th date... does this mean I will not hear back today?
Yes, I called them last week and they said that they extended it by like a week, so we should hear back sometime this week

I called the Student Affairs Office, and they said that Orientation starts July 11th, the White Coat Ceremony is July 20th, and Classes start July 23rd.
I talked to Mrs. Jones today, and she mentioned that orientation lasts a week. She told me that orientation starts July 11th and then classes start Wednesday, July 18th, but I could be mistaken.

I talked to Mrs. Jones today, and she mentioned that orientation lasts a week. She told me that orientation starts July 11th and then classes start Wednesday, July 18th, but I could be mistaken.
That seems more correct, based on the past years! Thanks for double checking!

Has anyone from the "strong alternate" list heard anything this week?

Has anyone from the "strong alternate" list heard anything this week?
No :( when I called last week they said we should hear this week, but I don't know of anyone who has. I don't know if there are any more open seats honestly

Anyone else still having trouble getting into the Facebook group even after adding your amcas email to your Facebook account? I just wanna meet y’all but Facebook won’t let me be great :(

Anyone else still having trouble getting into the Facebook group even after adding your amcas email to your Facebook account? I just wanna meet y’all but Facebook won’t let me be great :(
I am also having issues getting added after adding my email address. Perhaps it takes 24 hours for the system to send our emails and to recognize us