2017-2018 Howard University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They've had my primary since early August and I still haven't received. My committee letter came in late September, so maybe that's what it is, but I'm trying to call them to see if this is normal. I'll let you know what I hear.
That's a long time, def give them a call, I tried calling last week but it went direct to voicemail.... let me know if you hear anything, I'll also try calling and may be email them and keep you posted.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone not yet received a secondary?
Definitely give them a call - I called mid-September because I still hadn't received a secondary and I submitted my primary in July. Apparently it was sent August 23rd but I never received it (in spam, regular inbox, etc). The gentleman I spoke to in the admissions office was very nice though and said a LOT of applicants were having the same issue. He resent it to me while I was on the phone with him to ensure that I received it that time around!

Reactions: 1 user
II received today! Submitted my secondary 9/1. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stats if you don't mind??
MCAT: 506. cGPA: 3.5, sGPA: 3.3. Chem/Math at a top 20. Pacific Islander & AA. Lots of research and clinical experiences (shadowing, scribe, children's hospital volunteer, and hospital pathology lab assistant.) Multi-national track record holder and World Championship participant.

Should add - my focus is on helping the underserved particularly in the Pacific Islands.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else still in silence since complete late August

Reactions: 16 users
II yesterday! Received secondary 9/25 (took a month), complete 9/26.

Best of luck, everyone! Apparently if no rejection yet there's still hope.

Reactions: 8 users
Howard, show me some love!!! We belong together (even if you might not know it yet)!!!

Reactions: 10 users
I want to send an update about a medical mission trip that I went on this past weekend, is it overkill to include pictures?

II yesterday! Completed secondary 9/20.

Reactions: 2 users
I am getting anxious waiting for an interview haha.
I wonder if my profile actually fits Howard's mission.
I am a first-gen immigrant and have lived in and went to college in an underserved urban area since I came to US. My parents still work in my home country as doctors providing affordable healthcare to uninsured and underinsured people there.
I volunteered in my home country during winter and summer breaks at a walk-in clinic supporting a physician (my father's friend) treating kids for 4 years in undergrad and that is like ~2000 hours. In the US, I did a lot of community service in my area both health-related and non-health related. I also managed a project that linked my undergrad university's teaching hospital to provide healthcare education and screenings to kids in the area.
I feel deeply connected to my community and am interested in coming back to my city and serve this area after becoming a physician.
Howard is famous for the mission to serve the underserved, which fits my career goal. However I am Asian so not URM. I don't know how they will view my profile then. Hopefully they will have some love for me!
I graduated from an ivy with mcat 513 and 3.7 gpa, I guess my stats ain't that terrible probably.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm dying for an interview here.... I feel like I'm going insane... It seems like they are now screening end of august applications.... I was complete beginning of september... This is such a hard wait

Reactions: 5 users
Has anybody heard anything about the active shooter situation going on at Howard? Prayers up that everyone/everything is alright, but I swear at both of the institutions I have interviews at, something crazy is going on. Miami and Hurricane Gate 2017, and now Howard and this :nailbiting:.

Has anybody heard anything about the active shooter situation going on at Howard? Prayers up that everyone/everything is alright, but I swear at both of the institutions I have interviews at, something crazy is going on. Miami and Hurricane Gate 2017, and now Howard and this :nailbiting:.
I looked into it and from what I've read online it seems like it may have been a false alarm, they say they found no evidence of an active shooter in the building. So from that I'm hoping everyone is ok!

Reactions: 1 users
My friend attends Howard's pharmacy program. Said campus was locked down. Exams cancelled. Some ex student was threatening a girl. Had a gun. Didn't shoot anybody by cops took him in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It was very scary, but it does seem like it's a false alarm. We sheltered in place in the main lecture hall. And this false alarm is helping us deal with the some of the security issues for the medical school building.

I am getting anxious waiting for an interview haha.
I wonder if my profile actually fits Howard's mission.
I am a first-gen immigrant and have lived in and went to college in an underserved urban area since I came to US. My parents still work in my home country as doctors providing affordable healthcare to uninsured and underinsured people there.
I volunteered in my home country during winter and summer breaks at a walk-in clinic supporting a physician (my father's friend) treating kids for 4 years in undergrad and that is like ~2000 hours. In the US, I did a lot of community service in my area both health-related and non-health related. I also managed a project that linked my undergrad university's teaching hospital to provide healthcare education and screenings to kids in the area.
I feel deeply connected to my community and am interested in coming back to my city and serve this area after becoming a physician.
Howard is famous for the mission to serve the underserved, which fits my career goal. However I am Asian so not URM. I don't know how they will view my profile then. Hopefully they will have some love for me!
I graduated from an ivy with mcat 513 and 3.7 gpa, I guess my stats ain't that terrible probably.
We have a very diverse class and many, like myself, are non-URM. If you tailored your essays towards your experiences and desire to serve the underserved, the committee should see your passion!

Question for those who have done the open house: What did you wear ? What did everyone else where ? I am considering going business professional

Question for those who have done the open house: What did you wear ? What did everyone else where ? I am considering going business professional

No strict Dress code but I believed in leaving a good first impression (business-casual). Other people’s dress ranged from chill/casual to business professional

Complete early September and still silence. Guess my app got passed over :(:(
Completed mine in August and still silence :,( I figured by this point it must mean I am in the reject pile. Good luck to you though :(

Withdrawing my app. Or better yet not going to complete my secondary. Don't meet the minimum MCAT! Saving that $75! Good luck to you all!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Completed mine in August and still silence :,( I figured by this point it must mean I am in the reject pile. Good luck to you though :(
Guys don’t lose hope!!! A lot of the time this application process has no rhyme or reason. I’m obviously not an expert just an applicant like the rest of you, but I believe in the power of positive thinking!!! Keep your faith up and you never know what might happen!! Don’t let sdn discourage you

Reactions: 11 users
Guys don’t lose hope!!! A lot of the time this application process has no rhyme or reason. I’m obviously not an expert just an applicant like the rest of you, but I believe in the power of positive thinking!!! Keep your faith up and you never know what might happen!! Don’t let sdn discourage you

Omg thanks. I really needed to see this today :(

How would you go about updating them? via email or snail mail?

I only recall Mr. Chimangha saying “email.” A few student panel members mentioned email as well. They also said “there’s no such thing as being a pest” when trying to express interest in a school.

Sending an email update with a hope and prayer! This is my number one choice and I refuse to be silently rejected:laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Sending an email update with a hope and prayer! This is my number one choice and I refuse to be silently rejected:laugh:
I think they are just slow at interviewing, I feel like only a handful have gotten an invite

I think they are just slow at interviewing, I feel like only a handful have gotten an invite
gosh I really really hope so! I walk by the school nearly everyday, it has been such a tease

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to respond to emails? What is the appropriate amount of time to wait before sending a follow up email? (In case it got lost in all the other ones)

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to respond to emails? What is the appropriate amount of time to wait before sending a follow up email? (In case it got lost in all the other ones)
I would like to know too bc I sent an email two weeks ago and have yet to receive a response. I will probably call soon.

I would like to know too bc I sent an email two weeks ago and have yet to receive a response. I will probably call soon.
It might just be easier to call if you have a question you need an answer to fast, they’re pretty nice over the phone. I’ve emailed them and gotten a response within a day, but I think I might just depend on how busy they are in the office.

It might just be easier to call if you have a question you need an answer to fast, they’re pretty nice over the phone. I’ve emailed them and gotten a response within a day, but I think I might just depend on how busy they are in the office.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn’t sure if calls were viewed negatively here. Thanks! :)

So based on older posts it takes about a month to receive the secondary app? Just got verified today.

I received mine 3 days after I was verified. Verified 10/13, secondary received 10/16.

Ah okay thanks so I guess maybe they're getting better at sending them out. Hopefully mine comes soon too. I pre-wrote a few of the answers so I'm hoping to receive it and send it off right away.

submitted secondary 9/13 and haven't heard anything since. Do you guys believe this may be a silent rejection? I know there are people with II who submitted somewhat after me. I really hope to hear from them soon

Literally same... not sure what's going on.
submitted secondary 9/13 and haven't heard anything since. Do you guys believe this may be a silent rejection? I know there are people with II who submitted somewhat after me. I really hope to hear from them soon

I was complete September 1st and have not heard eiher