2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the 9/19 interview group. I just got in touch with admissions and they said we should hear back about our decisions by the end of this week.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For the 9/19 interview group. I just got in touch with admissions and they said we should hear back about our decisions by the end of this week.
Will you call back and ask about 9/28? jk.

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping us 9/23 ers here back same time as you since our dates were so close

Reactions: 3 users
You're welcome. Hopefully I don't get jinxed for being impatient but I have a couple interviews coming up so I optimally wanted a decision before them.
I have to make a decision by november 7th between here and another school. So the more time the merrier

You're welcome. Hopefully I don't get jinxed for being impatient but I have a couple interviews coming up so I optimally wanted a decision before them.
Thursday would make it "4-6 weeks" for every interview group in September (I think)... We may be onto something here.

Thursday would make it "4-6 weeks" for every interview group in September (I think)... We may be onto something here.
plot twist hahaha. Getting excited knowing it has to happen for me at least by next week but man is the contemplation of rejection terrifying

Last edited:
****ing plot twist hahaha. Getting excited knowing it has to happen for me at least by next week but man is the contemplation of rejection terrifying
I would just really like this "feedback" before my other interview later this week haha. I feel like I'm going into another interview blind.

Good luck to all those hearing back this week and if you're interviewing tomorrow looking forward to seeing you all then!

By the end of the week can be tomorrow through Friday. That is better than keeping us in limbo

Tomorrow's interview day is gonna be a blast. See you all there :)

I think you should apply! I don't know how quickly things will move for you but I can tell you that because of my mcat score I now get 10 grand off my first years tuition. It's called the presidential recruitment scholarship.
My MCAT does reach the requirement (514), but isn't there also a GPA requirement?
I went to a very rigorous undergrad and have a 3.71 GPA, and I then would not evern qualify for the 5 grand one.
This selection seems really unfair towards kids from more rigorous colleges.

Members don't see this ad :)
If we are going to the airport directly after our interview, is there a place to put our luggage? Also, if we have to leave to catch a flight directly after our interview, can we do that?

If we are going to the airport directly after our interview, is there a place to put our luggage? Also, if we have to leave to catch a flight directly after our interview, can we do that?
Definitely don't ask them to push your interview up if you're the last one just to catch a flight. Kid did that during my interview and after he left I saw many people taking special note of his name

You can drop off your luggage and they store it for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely don't ask them to push your interview up if you're the last one just to catch a flight. Kid did that during my interview and after he left I saw many people taking special note of his name

I let them know like last week that I was having flight scheduling issues and they said they would schedule me earlier. Does this look bad? I let them know that if it's not possible, I can pay the extra $300 to fly out later, but with tight expenses if I could interveiw earlier it would be better. I was just asking specifically for after interview activities. Does it look bad that I made this request? Really hope I didn't just throw the $600 I'm already spending on this interview down the drain of im just going to get rejected in an effort to save $300. I think they are hopefully understanding of this.

I let them know like last week that I was having flight scheduling issues and they said they would schedule me earlier. Does this look bad? I let them know that if it's not possible, I can pay the extra $300 to fly out later, but with tight expenses if I could interveiw earlier it would be better. I was just asking specifically for after interview activities. Does it look bad that I made this request? Really hope I didn't just throw the $600 I'm already spending on this interview down the drain of im just going to get rejected in an effort to save $300. I think they are hopefully understanding of this.
I in no way think this hurts your chances. You let them know ahead of time and just asked if they wouldn't mind scheduling you earlier. This is a very reasonable request, and a lot of schools even tell you to let them know if you need any accommodations due to travel plans. If a school rejected someone for this, I think it would just show that the school doesn't care at all about the students, and you probably wouldn't be missing out on much.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying!

Reactions: 4 users
I in no way think this hurts your chances. You let them know ahead of time and just asked if they wouldn't mind scheduling you earlier. This is a very reasonable request, and a lot of schools even tell you to let them know if you need any accommodations due to travel plans. If a school rejected someone for this, I think it would just show that the school doesn't care at all about the students, and you probably wouldn't be missing out on much.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying!

Thanks so much! Yeah they said in their website to let them know 5 days in advance if you need accommodations, so I would hope they won't offer that if they intend to blacklist you if you ask for it.

My MCAT does reach the requirement (514), but isn't there also a GPA requirement?
I went to a very rigorous undergrad and have a 3.71 GPA, and I then would not evern qualify for the 5 grand one.
This selection seems really unfair towards kids from more rigorous colleges.
That's what I thought! My gpa is only 3.5 and I still got it! It was a total surprise for me.

Called KCU for similar reasons as the last guy. I have interviews coming up and I won't go if I get in here. 9/23 will hear back "Probably sometime next week."

Someone who's more familiar with the admissions process can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know how involved the admissions members answering these calls are in the process after interview... I could look at a calendar, find 6 weeks after you interview, and say "oh you should hear back by [6 weeks]." That's not to say these people aren't important in the process! But it's not exactly breaking news that you'll probably hear back by the time 6 weeks from your interview date (the latest they said you would hear back at your interview day) rolls around lol.

Edit: Realizing this may have come off as a bit abrasive. Today's the day fam. I can really really feel it this time.

Reactions: 2 users
That's what I thought! My gpa is only 3.5 and I still got it! It was a total surprise for me.
So you got the 10k prize with 3.5 gpa?
Does it mean they don't really look at your gpa but rather just base on the mcat?

Does it mean they don't really look at your gpa but rather just base on the mcat?
I don't want to speculate but maybe they give them out more willingly early on? Maybe later down the line they will implement the gpa and mcat cutoff. It doesn't seem all that fair though.

Is it recommended to send in thank you letters to this school after the interview?

Has anyone that interviewed heard back? I interview here soon and was just curious about the time frame. Also, what is the interview acceptance rate? /Any major tips besides for being yourself and knowing why DO? Thanks so much!!!

Has anyone that interviewed heard back? I interview here soon and was just curious about the time frame. Also, what is the interview acceptance rate? /Any major tips besides for being yourself and knowing why DO? Thanks so much!!!
Just read the previous posts and you'll find all of your answers!

D.O. schools in general don't care about your GPA as long as it's high enough that you aren't an academic risk.

A lot of schools have figured out that GPA is garbage for predicting the quality of physician. Anything over like a 3.2 doesn't make a difference.

D.O. schools in general don't care about your GPA as long as it's high enough that you aren't an academic risk.

A lot of schools have figured out that GPA is garbage for predicting the quality of physician. Anything over like a 3.2 doesn't make a difference.
This is for a merit based scholarship though. Not matriculation.

Even then I still think there is a difference between a 4.0 in bioengineering at MIT and a 3.3 at bioengineering at Villa Nova University (no offense)
and yeah I am not talking about admission, but a scholarship KCU offers that is based on MCAT and GPA, according to their website.

Personally, I did not care about GPA too much at all in my undergrad and put emphasis on learning from my research, I have a 3.7 from an IVY which I do think should be not bad for any DO school. I agree with you that GPA has limited prediction on how a person can become a physician

Anything over like a 3.2 doesn't make a difference.

This just simply isn't true. Yes, DO schools do look more holistically at your application. However, when comparing two applicants with equivalent ECs and MCAT scores, the individual with the higher GPA tends to trump (especially for scholarships). Additionally, there are many schools that have cut offs significantly higher than a 3.2 cGPA.

This just simply isn't true. Yes, DO schools do look more holistically at your application. However, when comparing two applicants with equivalent ECs and MCAT scores, the individual with the higher GPA tends to trump (especially for scholarships). Additionally, there are many schools that have cut offs significantly higher than a 3.2 cGPA.
Gotta agree with Canadian here. A high GPA implies a higher mastery of the concepts your entire medical education will be built on.

Just accepted. Joplin. 9/18 interview. I am so happy guys.

Reactions: 7 users
I think GPA is a vauble a tool admission reps use to find qualified candidates but the problem is that there are so many factors that contribute to gpa. Mcat is nice in that it is standard across the board. It doesn't matter where you went to school, or what your background is,
Gotta agree with Canadian here. A high GPA implies a higher mastery of the concepts your entire medical education will be built on.
I think GPA is a vauble tool admission reps use to find qualified candidates but the problem is that there are so many factors that contribute to gpa. Mcat is nice in that it's standard across the board. It doesn't matter where you went to school, or what your background is, everyone must take it.

Gahhhh no love for 9/28 it looks like.

9/19 just got decisions. WL :/ which because of DO deposits basically means I’ll have to decline. Gl all!

Gahhhh no love for 9/28 it looks like.
fam theres numerous interview dates in front of you. it hasn't even been 4 weeks yet dog. Your a quality human but you probs wont hear till next week.

9/19 just got decisions. WL :/ which because of DO deposits basically means I’ll have to decline. Gl all!
why, do you have a acceptance somewhere else. I'm pretty sure a waitlist does not require a deposit

Just got my email. I'm in!!! So happy!!! KC Campus. If there's hope for me there's hope for everyone, I'm a reapplicant.

Reactions: 6 users