2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I totally agree on all counts, but I don't feel that I can risk not putting in a deposit and then not getting an acceptance elsewhere. Nor can I place 2 deposits. Unless anyone here has some suggestions?
So will you commit to WCU? Even if HMS or JHU accept you?

Members don't see this ad.

I totally agree on all counts, but I don't feel that I can risk not putting in a deposit and then not getting an acceptance elsewhere. Nor can I place 2 deposits. Unless anyone here has some suggestions?
So there's no way you could scrounge up the money for a 2nd deposit if it came down to it?

I was accepted at William Carey plus I have an interview this week at Burrell. I'd love to interview at KCU but I also can't afford to throw away $3K for the deposit at WCU, and I'm 99.9% sure that I won't get my decision prior to the deposit deadline.

Unless you’re dead set on WCU, which has its documented issues, I’d attend your KCU interview. 3K is a drop in the bucket if you end up getting accepted as the resources and reputation of KCU>>WCU. Just food for thought!

Ps, I also dropped 2K on a deposit last cycle to a different school...2 days before my KCU acceptance and it was 100% worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got rejected pre-secondary but got this email today xD (the email i used for mcat was different from my aacomas)

3a46238d3aa0c51c90833ae1c7c8fc08.png
Hey! I actually was rejected pre-secondary invitation because of my old MCAT scores and then once my new ones came in I received this email as well. I emailed the admissions committee a screenshot of my score report and they actually sent me a secondary invite. I would suggest doing the same because I received an II 1 week later.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a KCU graduate that did an AMA on r/premed. He has nothing but good things to say about the school. Posting it here may be a little "preaching to the choir"-y but I'm glad I stumbled upon it so here it is :)

Reactions: 9 users
Hey guys,

What are some areas in Kansas City that you recommend living? I’m interested in getting a studio loft-like apartment, however, I do not want it to be too far away from campus. Preferably a 10 minute drive (if that’s even do-able). Any tips or advice would be great!

Reactions: 2 users
There's a KCU graduate that did an AMA on r/premed. He has nothing but good things to say about the school. Posting it here may be a little "preaching to the choir"-y but I'm glad I stumbled upon it so here it is :)

100 agreed, reading that thread really calmed some of my fears for medical school. He is realistic about the hurdles DOs face, but says that KCU seems to produce students who can get around these hurdles through hard word. Looking forward to being here in July!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anybody heard back that interviewed on Oct. 30th?? So anxious, this is my #1 pick on schools. Im getting so nervous!!!

Reading that thread, it seemed like he/she was implying that research can really benefit you during medical school, and that KCU didn't have many research opportunities? Can anyone comment on this?

Hey anyone from the 10/26 interview group hear back yet? I thought I would hear back last week, but with Thanksgiving and all, I don't know when they would get back. Crazy nervous.

Hey anyone from the 10/26 interview group hear back yet? I thought I would hear back last week, but with Thanksgiving and all, I don't know when they would get back. Crazy nervous.

I interviewed on the 26th too, stil haven’t heard. I think it’ll probably be sometime this week. Good luck!!

Hey guys,

What are some areas in Kansas City that you recommend living? I’m interested in getting a studio loft-like apartment, however, I do not want it to be too far away from campus. Preferably a 10 minute drive (if that’s even do-able). Any tips or advice would be great!

Also would like to know some more info regarding this! :)

Reading that thread, it seemed like he/she was implying that research can really benefit you during medical school, and that KCU didn't have many research opportunities? Can anyone comment on this?

I think it's pretty well known that a major issue in the DO world is lack of research. Look at just about any MD going for a competitive residency and they do research. Hell, many of them take a year off just to do research. And then DOs wonder why they aren't matching into those same specialties.

Fortunately, KCU seems to be aware of this as they're starting some kind of research track this coming year. I wish I would've asked more questions about it because I suspect it's going to be limited to a small group of people.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the 26th too, stil haven’t heard. I think it’ll probably be sometime this week. Good luck!!
The 24th people still haven’t heard back, so the 26th will either be later this week or next week!

I think it's pretty well known that a major issue in the DO world is lack of research. Look at just about any MD going for a competitive residency and they do research. Hell, many of them take a year off just to do research. And then DOs wonder why they aren't matching into those same specialties.

Fortunately, KCU seems to be aware of this as they're starting some kind of research track this coming year. I wish I would've asked more questions about it because I suspect it's going to be limited to a small group of people.

I am hoping that the research track would allow me to pursue research with neighboring (or not so neighboring) institutions. Seems like they are open to that sort of thing.

Really enjoyed this level-headed AMA. I can tell the OP is somewhat frustrated that his superior Step 1 score did not take him as far as he wanted to go or felt he should have been able to, but I think his situation is as ideal as it could be in coming from an osteopathic school. Hoping, as others have said, that having superior research experience could help to bridge the gap b/w MD and DO. Also fantastic to hear that the OP felt that KCU's curriculum pushed OP to an excellent step score.

Also, is it weird to say that I like KCU because the word "osteopathic" is not in its name? xD

Reactions: 3 users
I am hoping that the research track would allow me to pursue research with neighboring (or not so neighboring) institutions. Seems like they are open to that sort of thing.

Really enjoyed this level-headed AMA. I can tell the OP is somewhat frustrated that his superior Step 1 score did not take him as far as he wanted to go or felt he should have been able to, but I think his situation is as ideal as it could be in coming from an osteopathic school. Hoping, as others have said, that having superior research experience could help to bridge the gap b/w MD and DO. Also fantastic to hear that the OP felt that KCU's curriculum pushed OP to an excellent step score.

Also, is it weird to say that I like KCU because the word "osteopathic" is not in its name? xD
Actually it is KCU-COM lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I've always known it as KCUMB! IIRC there was another KCU for a while, wasn't there?

Nobody calls it KCU-COM in conversations though. It’s KCU or to other schools and PDs they recognize it as KCUMB!

I know. I live in Kansas City, and I've always known it as KCUMB as well. I've only become aware of the name KCU-COM this cycle. Anyway, I was just clarifying that they do have "Osteopathic" in the name now.

I know. I live in Kansas City, and I've always known it as KCUMB as well. I've only become aware of the name KCU-COM this cycle. Anyway, I was just clarifying that they do have "Osteopathic" in the name now.

huhu I just enjoy telling people that I'll be attending the Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences vs. explaining to the layperson how osteopathic medicine isn't chiropractor school.

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know what the LGBT environment is like at KCU or Kansas City in general? Recently got accepted and I was wondering how gay friendly KCU can be. All I know is that it has no sexual-orientation non-discrimination policy, but there are also no LGBT groups.

Thanks in advance for all the helpful comments.

Joe Freedom Here

Can I call KCU and ask about who is going to interview me? I am interviewing in a bit, and was curious if I would be able to research who would be conducting the interview.

Does anyone know what the LGBT environment is like at KCU or Kansas City in general? Recently got accepted and I was wondering how gay friendly KCU can be. All I know is that it has no sexual-orientation non-discrimination policy, but there are also no LGBT groups.

Thanks in advance for all the helpful comments.

I looked up the surrounding area and there is a fair amount of nonprofit/support groups in the area. Can’t say much about the social scene otherwise and didn’t explore as much as I wanted while I was there.

I noticed there weren’t any LGBT groups either but who says you can’t be the first to start one? :D

For people who have interviewed at KC campus, what are cheap lodging options? I will be flying in late (12 AM flight touchdown) so does that take student hosts out of the question?

For people who have interviewed at KC campus, what are cheap lodging options? I will be flying in late (12 AM flight touchdown) so does that take student hosts out of the question?

The 816 hotel is pretty cheap! They have a shuttle to take you to surrounding places, this include KCU. Are you interviewing this Thursday?

La Quinta was like $55 for a night, $8 Uber to the school. No frills but it was clean and quiet.

Use airbnb, I found one really cheap for like 30 a night. The experience was amazing. Another interviewee was staying at the same place and we end up talking the whole night after the interview. He used uber to get to the interview

Joe Freedom Here

Can I call KCU and ask about who is going to interview me? I am interviewing in a bit, and was curious if I would be able to research who would be conducting the interview.

Probably not. The student ambassadors will give you some information on who your interviewer is and some tips before you interview though!

The 24th people still haven’t heard back, so the 26th will either be later this week or next week!

Any other interview dates in October still waiting to hear back about? I’m surprised the 10/20 people heard back in 3 weeks.

Trying to get some opinions on if it is too late to apply this cycle! I have a 3.4 gpa, 508 mcat, lots of research experience, and good letters of rec (including a DO letter). Thanks!

Trying to get some opinions on if it is too late to apply this cycle! I have a 3.4 gpa, 508 mcat, lots of research experience, and good letters of rec (including a DO letter). Thanks!
Send it

What do you have to lose?...$45 + $50... I mean if you can afford it, go for it.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow morning! Excited to meet all of you!

Use airbnb, I found one really cheap for like 30 a night. The experience was amazing. Another interviewee was staying at the same place and we end up talking the whole night after the interview. He used uber to get to the interview

I am staying at the Rodeway Inn just a block away from the campus. I was 40 bucks and although all the reviews said it's in a bad neighborhood I only needed it for the night and it is 5 minutes away from the school. The room was clean with a fridge and the microwave. For $40 a night it's great. I recommend it. Airbnb is also a great option. Uber is $30 from the airport to the school.

I am staying at the Rodeway Inn just a block away from the campus. I was 40 bucks and although all the reviews said it's in a bad neighborhood I only needed it for the night and it is 5 minutes away from the school. The room was clean with a fridge and the microwave. For $40 a night it's great. I recommend it. Airbnb is also a great option. Uber is $30 from the airport to the school.

Yeah no way around that uber price unfortunately! Plenty of decently priced hotel options as long as you’re not wanting to stay in the middle of downtown. If anyone is staying after their interview and likes BBQ make sure to try Q39 or Jack Stack!

yo guys this is an EMERGENCY i talked to my friend and she said dont bring your suit case to the interview because it looks so unprofessional.. where do I leave my stuff? my interview is tmrw and the hotel forces me to check out at 12... my flgith is at 6:30pm please helppppp

yo guys this is an EMERGENCY i talked to my friend and she said dont bring your suit case to the interview because it looks so unprofessional.. where do I leave my stuff? my interview is tmrw and the hotel forces me to check out at 12... my flgith is at 6:30pm please helppppp
Lol relax. Its not unprofessional, and they total understand that people have to check out of their hotels early which is why they offer this service. I dropped of my luggage with them and got accepted so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 4 users
Lol relax. Its not unprofessional, and they total understand that people have to check out of their hotels early which is why they offer this service. I dropped of my luggage with them and got accepted so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You dropped your luggage off with the school? Thanks a lot man I started bugging out lol..

Usually hotels will also allow for you to the store your stuff with them while you interview. Then just return there after to change and pick up your stuff.

Also would like to know some more info regarding this! :)
If you aren't interested in CT, my student tour guide recommended the river market area. Personally I know nothing about KC but he was from the area originally so I'm sure he knows it well

Agreed. I have been on 3 interviews so far (2 MD and 1 DO), and even when I was the only OOS student present, the interview personnel saw my luggage and immediately offered to place it somewhere safe for me. I can’t imagine there’s any school where having luggage is a surprise or considered unprofessional. They know the drill with students coming in from far away.

Joe Freedom Here

What would that do for you? That's kind of weird honestly.

Agreed. I have been on 3 interviews so far (2 MD and 1 DO), and even when I was the only OOS student present, the interview personnel saw my luggage and immediately offered to place it somewhere safe for me. I can’t imagine there’s any school where having luggage is a surprise or considered unprofessional. They know the drill with students coming in from far away.
Wait... I was also oos... So it's the MD school?

Interviewed 10/26, accepted to Joplin!

People that got wait listed, have any of you been taken OFF the wait list???
Sincerely,
Broken hearted waitlister (got the email this morning) :(