2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was recently accepted to KCU @ KC campus, and right now I am completing my last year of undergrad to graduate in the spring. Does anyone know if I need to do my best to keep grades/gpa up still? Or can I embrace the whole "C's get degrees" ideal now?

Yeah don’t risk that. Get a few As and Bs to finish out. Don’t screw yourself because you wanted to be lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Recently was accepted to the Kansas city campus, but I interviewed at Joplin and didn't get to see the KC campus in person. Can anyone who interviewed there/current students give a little insight as to what it's like? I would like to put down my deposit for the school but i won't be able to visit before doing so
I was in KC for like three days, I loved it. You can PM me if you have any specific questions!

I am having difficulty finding it, can anyone comment on the curriculum style? Thanks!

It’s a block system. First is biochem for like 3 weeks then Immunology for 3 weeks. Anatomy is 6 weeks and so on. Each block has a mid term and final. You have 3 longitudinal courses that are throughout the whole semester which are Osteopathic Skills, Clinical Medicine and Grand Rounds. The general idea for first year is to understand the normal of each system then repeat it 2nd year with pathology. This is a general idea of how it works I’m sure someone could type you a whole novel on it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s a block system. First is biochem for like 3 weeks then Immunology for 3 weeks. Anatomy is 6 weeks and so on. Each block has a mid term and final. You have 3 longitudinal courses that are throughout the whole semester which are Osteopathic Skills, Clinical Medicine and Grand Rounds. The general idea for first year is to understand the normal of each system then repeat it 2nd year with pathology. This is a general idea of how it works I’m sure someone could type you a whole novel on it.
No this was great, thank you!!

Would anyone have information on how students get around in KC and the school? I'm assuming there's some kind of public transit system since it is a city, but I've never been there before. Or is it more convenient to own a car?

Would anyone have information on how students get around in KC and the school? I'm assuming there's some kind of public transit system since it is a city, but I've never been there before. Or is it more convenient to own a car?
From talking to my student ambassador a car is pretty important. There is a street car that they use they said when they go to bars which is kind of fun but its sketchy haha

Recently paid my deposit and received an email saying it was processed, but it linked me to the 2021 Facebook group and mentioned the matriculation fee had to be paid by March 1st 2017. Has everyone gotten the same message?

Well 11/9 people. I called today asking when we may hear back and I was told this Friday. My friend also called and they told him hopefully by the end of next week but it may take till the start of the year...so has anyone else called?

Recently was accepted to the Kansas city campus, but I interviewed at Joplin and didn't get to see the KC campus in person. Can anyone who interviewed there/current students give a little insight as to what it's like? I would like to put down my deposit for the school but i won't be able to visit before doing so

Current first year here. I also did the COB Master's program. I've been in KC for over 2 years now (from San Francisco). Feel free to PM me with specifics but I really like living here. The cold and snow can sometimes be more than I like to handle but the weather is always changing here and the snow has yet to make a lasting appearance. I believe next Monday says we'll have a high of 60 if it holds.

The campus is great. The area is not the best but just be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine - I live at Century Towers across the street. However, if you have family coming with you, I wouldn't necessarily recommend living at CT. There are plenty of nice places to live depending on what you're looking for and your budget.

Food is good. Great BBQ. Somewhat decent Asian food (I'm Chinese). Feel free to ask me more specifics.

You'll definitely want a car. Although it's a city, the public bus system is not that great. Lots of people Uber around here though if you don't feel like driving. If you end up living at CT, you'll need a car to get groceries (unless you walk to Aldi) since most stores are 10-20 min away (including Costco and Trader Joe's).

There is a free street car that goes up and down Main St. but it doesn't go to the school and you'd still have to drive to a pickup point to use it. I like using the street car to get to the Sprint Center and Music Hall for shows/concerts to save on the price and hassle of parking in Downtown.

Reactions: 1 user
II today, secondary submitted early November.
No available date in KC campus, earliest on February 21 in Joplin Campus, anyone knows whether KC campus will open more interview spots?

Last edited:
Well 11/9 people. I called today asking when we may hear back and I was told this Friday. My friend also called and they told him hopefully by the end of next week but it may take till the start of the year...so has anyone else called?

did you guys call on the same day? they may have changed their mind depending on who spoke with them most recently.

did you guys call on the same day? they may have changed their mind depending on who spoke with them most recently.
Ya both of us called today within 10 minutes of each other haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
And just like that... This week became the longest work week ever.
At least you know it is on Friday. I spammed refresh on my email every couple minutes for a couple weeks before I was accepted. Try not to stress too much until Friday, it'll ruin your week :p

I don't know if I just need more hobbies at this point but I was looking at the KCU website of their sponsored residency programs (Residency) going oh that's cool, anesthesia, derm, EM, ENT, ortho? Dope. Only to see that the AOA website of accredited residencies in Missouri show that both anesthesia and ortho at Des Peres are both closing (Opportunities - AOA-Approved Internships and Residencies). I don't have anything else to add other than this made me sad. Also, shouldn't it not be on their website anymore then?
This list is still impressive in terms of rotation opportunities at hospitals with residency programs compared to other DO schools. I can see the frustration though if those were two specialties you were considering.

And just like that... This week became the longest work week ever.
Think they'll throw 11/14 into that mix? :whistle:

Edit: called and got the same "late this week, early next week" response. Guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and put a deposit down at another school, though, if they're waiting till Friday

Last edited:
Think they'll throw 11/14 into that mix? :whistle:

Edit: called and got the same "late this week, early next week" response. Guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and put a deposit down at another school, though, if they're waiting till Friday
I know sameeee, it kills me knowing I am going to spend so much Thursday and then likely get the email Friday or Monday. I was thinking about it too, I feel like they wouldn't give it today/tomorrow because then that would only give applicants like one day to put down the deposit to meet the deadline

I know sameeee, it kills me knowing I am going to spend so much Thursday and then likely get the email Friday or Monday. I was thinking about it too, I feel like they wouldn't give it today/tomorrow because then that would only give applicants like one day to put down the deposit to meet the deadline
I get that, but it also kinda sucks for those of us who have to put down another deposit!

Is the COMLEX scores/pass rates listed on their website their first time pass rates?

this is incorrect. if you are accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days to submit your deposit as per AACOMAS traffic guidelines. I was accepted 11/30 and my deposit is due 1/2

this is incorrect. if you are accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days to submit your deposit as per AACOMAS traffic guidelines. I was accepted 11/30 and my deposit is due 1/2
Then why can't they be nice and let us know on Wednesday or Thursday instead of Friday :(

I felt it was strange that I was interviewed by a librarian. I have decent stats and felt the interview went well but was rejected.
What do you mean you were interviewed by a librarian? Did you have other people there as well? Or was it a 1-1 with librarian?

After much contemplation, I will be withdrawing my acceptance from KCUMB-KC, as I believe DMU will be a better fit for me. Hoping my seat goes to one of you deserving people. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
After much contemplation, I will be withdrawing my acceptance from KCUMB-KC, as I believe DMU will be a better fit for me. Hoping my seat goes to one of you deserving people. Good luck!
I'm disappointed to hear we won't be classmates next year, but I'm glad you found a school that fits your needs. Good luck!

Can any 1st or second years comment on board prep time we should be looking to get? When I was there I know student ambassadors mentioned that there is not a lot of down time and students had been communicating that to the administration. I was so nervous interview day... I know I asked about this but my brain just decided it wasn't something important to remember.

Can any 1st or second years comment on board prep time we should be looking to get? When I was there I know student ambassadors mentioned that there is not a lot of down time and students had been communicating that to the administration. I was so nervous interview day... I know I asked about this but my brain just decided it wasn't something important to remember.

Board prep time consists of 19 months of intense curriculum followed by 6 weeks of dedicated board prep time. And by dedicated, that also means completing BLS and ACLS classes at the same time

Reactions: 4 users
What do you mean you were interviewed by a librarian? Did you have other people there as well? Or was it a 1-1 with librarian?

Nope. It was a 1-1 interview lasted 30 mins approximately. I believe at least 4 other interviews from my group were conducted by her.

Board prep time consists of 19 months of intense curriculum followed by 6 weeks of dedicated board prep time. And by dedicated, that also means completing BLS and ACLS classes at the same time

Do you feel pretty prepared going into dedicated?

Waiting for 11/14 decision here at work and I am not sure that I can take this anymore

I mean my interview went pretty smooth. All I'm guessing is maybe because of my MCAT I took it multiple times and my highest score is 500. But my GPAs are 3.7+ though, so I don't know really.

Edit: Though whenever my interviewer asked, I made sure he understood that English was not my first language and that I've only been living in the states for 6 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Hey don't get discourage! I'm a foreign student, English is not my first language as well and I've only lived in the US for 4 years. Last year I had 505 MCAT 4.0 GPA with large amount of research and shadowing experience...they still wait listed me. This year I re-took my MCAT to get 510 and reapplied...I now have 2 acceptances already and will hear back from KCU next week (hopefully). My point is Don't give up!!! Try again!! you will eventually make it. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Officially withdrawing my acceptance to KCUMB. Good luck to everyone applying!

Any admissions decisions from folks who interviewed in mid November yet?

Nope! Just waiting nervously.
Same, I think at my 11/16 interview they said they'd really like to have 'em done by Christmas, but it looks like 11/9 & 11/14 people are waiting as well.

Same, I think at my 11/16 interview they said they'd really like to have 'em done by Christmas, but it looks like 11/9 & 11/14 people are waiting as well.
11/9 and 11/14 should hear either tomorrow or early next week according to the admissions office. Not sure if they'll include 11/16 in that group-- hoping they will for you guys :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Rejected, interviewed 11/9. Very shocked since my interview went great.