2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rose is red.
Violet’s blue.
10/27 acceptances,
where are you?!

I called KCU today and they said 10/27 interviewees can expect a response today or early next week.
This anxiety is killing me :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yass! Accepted to KC campus. The wait is over!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just accepted to the KC campus...
I have always wanted the Joplin campus... I interviewed at the Joplin campus so I have no idea what the KC campus looks like.
Can anyone compare the differences facility-wise?

Reactions: 3 users
I called KCU today and they said 10/27 interviewees can expect a response today or early next week.
It’s out now I think. Best of luck!

Accepted to KC campus!! Interviewed at Joplin 11/4

Reactions: 1 users

How did you go about asking?? I interviewed 11/09 and granted our 4 week mark was only yesterday but I still want to know if they think we will hear back before next Thursday when other schools' deposits are due...I just want to avoid sounding impatient or neurotic haha

My acceptance fee is in and my papers sent! Going to scope out apartments this month! excited :) Telling people where I am headed this summer is met with ohh KCU is a great schools :)

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get QUANtitative titers (CVS, etc.)? All the primary care clinics around me only offer QUALitative ones... so frustrating.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get QUANtitative titers (CVS, etc.)? All the primary care clinics around me only offer QUALitative ones... so frustrating.

Look up quantitative titers on google. There’s a few independent lab companies that you pay like $30 and they send it over to a lab and you go get it drawn. No physician order necessary!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted!!! KC campus. Interviewed 11/4. 508 MCAT, 3.33 GPA

How did you go about asking?? I interviewed 11/09 and granted our 4 week mark was only yesterday but I still want to know if they think we will hear back before next Thursday when other schools' deposits are due...I just want to avoid sounding impatient or neurotic haha

Just got accepted at Kansas City Campus!!! Interviewed 10/27 at Joplin. Is there a way to join an official facebook group to talk to other students and find housing for next year?

I called the school and asked them when I could expect a response since six weeks was almost up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted! Interviewed 11/4.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Damn that sucks :(

How often do people get off the waitlist here? Also, do you have any idea what lead to why they would wait list you? Just wondering what their criteria for waitlisting is, cuz everyone here says their post-interview acceptance rate is so high.

Damn that sucks :(

How often do people get off the waitlist here? Also, do you have any idea what lead to why they would wait list you? Just wondering what their criteria for waitlisting is, cuz everyone here says their post-interview acceptance rate is so high.
I mean my interview went pretty smooth. All I'm guessing is maybe because of my MCAT I took it multiple times and my highest score is 500. But my GPAs are 3.7+ though, so I don't know really.

Edit: Though whenever my interviewer asked, I made sure he understood that English was not my first language and that I've only been living in the states for 6 years.

Waitlisted! Interviewed 11/4.
emoji853.png
emoji22.png
Sorry to hear that. Though I wouldn’t lose all hope for KCU. I have read that the waitlist had been moving quite a lot more since Joplin was opened. All the best to you my friend.

patiently* waiting for 11/14 decisions

jk I am so impatient please KCU love me and save me some deposit money at another school

Anyone apply really late and hear back yet?
I already interviewed, but from a phone conversation I had with them awhile ago, they suggested that they already had filled all of their interviews. My guess would be they will continue to invite only very good applicants. btw i applied mid october and had an interview within 10 days

I already interviewed, but from a phone conversation I had with them awhile ago, they suggested that they already had filled all of their interviews. My guess would be they will continue to invite only very good applicants. btw i applied mid october and had an interview within 10 days

My secondary invite was 11/16..complete 11/27..II on 12/1. They had a spot for 12/7 I took

Rejected from interview 11/4. sGPA 3.62 MCAT 500. Interviewed at Joplin. Do you guys think I was rejected because of my stats or possibly my interview?

How was your interview? Were there any mistakes or red flags?

jk I am so impatient please KCU love me and save me some deposit money at another school

+1. I keep thinking of the admissions decision instead of studying for finals.. Anytime now would be great!

I'm not sure to be honest. The interviewer seemed pretty chilled and talked mostly about his career and such. So I thought I might as well integrate myself into the conversation by asking him questions about his career. At times I think he was a little off track and then realized that he needed to ask me a few questions like why medicine, why DO, why KCU. I answered those questions but it didn't seem he was really impressed or anything. Overall I had a pretty vague feeling about the interview though. Didn't really think into it much since I thought everyone said the interview is usually laid back at this school but I'm not sure if this is how it is for everyone else.
Can you PM me who you interviewed w? I had a similar experience as well and wanted to know if we got the same interviewer!

I'm not sure to be honest. The interviewer seemed pretty chilled and talked mostly about his career and such. So I thought I might as well integrate myself into the conversation by asking him questions about his career. At times I think he was a little off track and then realized that he needed to ask me a few questions like why medicine, why DO, why KCU. I answered those questions but it didn't seem he was really impressed or anything. Overall I had a pretty vague feeling about the interview though. Didn't really think into it much since I thought everyone said the interview is usually laid back at this school but I'm not sure if this is how it is for everyone else.

Can I also get a PM? This also sounds similar to my interviewer so I'm kinda worried now lol. Although I did more talking than the interviewer did, and I talked about myself during the interview.

I do wonder how they judge us on some of these interviews.. my interviewer at KCU barely let me speak the entire time. He kept talking about various things and then asked me if I had any questions literally as someone opened the door to let us know time was up. He was a super nice guy and I enjoyed hearing his thoughts, but I'm not sure how much he was able to judge me other than by how well I appeared to be listening.

I do wonder how they judge us on some of these interviews.. my interviewer at KCU barely let me speak the entire time. He kept talking about various things and then asked me if I had any questions literally as someone opened the door to let us know time was up. He was a super nice guy and I enjoyed hearing his thoughts, but I'm not sure how much he was able to judge me other than by how well I appeared to be listening.

Sounds like we had the same interviewer. My strategy was to make the interview more of a conversation. My student ambassador gave me a heads up before my interview so I made sure to follow along in the conversation, using verbal and nonverbal listening skills, and then to interject with questions, my own thoughts, and my experiences that I felt could add substance. I think this worked because the interviewer complemented my performance. I think it also showed that I could meet him on his level, while still being respectful and polite.

Just curious if anyone has done it yet, around how much did the titers cost you? I'm paying out of pocket so I'm trying to find the best deal, but I'm not exactly sure what's considered expensive or not in this field haha

Ugh I feel you. Just dropped a fat deposit at CUSOM :( I’m glad though I didn’t hear back from KCU like a few hours later or the next day so it makes it a little worth it lol

Reactions: 2 users
Just curious if anyone has done it yet, around how much did the titers cost you? I'm paying out of pocket so I'm trying to find the best deal, but I'm not exactly sure what's considered expensive or not in this field haha
I think someone listed 30 dollars in one thread. I'll see if I can find it

I think someone listed 30 dollars in one thread. I'll see if I can find it
30 for all 3 without insurance?? Damn, find that a little hard to believe haha. Would appreciate it if you could find the source :)

This is a good interview strategy generally

You're tasked with interviewing premeds. If you're bright (and you're an MD or PhD or DO) then you know the interview is completely pointless outside of screening for personality disorders. Given that, which sounds better:

1. A collegial, funny conversation with someone very friendly, maybe making sure they are going after medicine for the right reasons and that they know what they are getting themselves into.
2. Listening to a gauche premed stumble through various pre-fabbed lines of bollox.

It would definitely be nice if this was more standardized though (one way or the other). Many interviewers prefer the prefabbed lines and will perceive you to be less prepared if you are perhaps more off the cuff or conversational. Between MMIs, open file interviews, closed file, etc. the lesson seems to be to expect the unexpected, be super cognizant of how you present yourself for the limited amount of time when you're interviewing, and be quick to adjust to your interviewer's expectations.

Interviewed 11/16 in KC, and though I haven't gotten a decision yet, I want to get the ball rolling for the vaccinations. If my titers aren't complete, but in process, by May 1 is that OK? And does anyone know if these requirements are consistent with other schools so they could be transferred? They seemed to stress the vaccines big time at the interview, so I don't want to get it messed up!

I was recently accepted to KCU @ KC campus, and right now I am completing my last year of undergrad to graduate in the spring. Does anyone know if I need to do my best to keep grades/gpa up still? Or can I embrace the whole "C's get degrees" ideal now?

I know they take vaccinations very seriously, but what happens to people that get accepted off of the waitlist near the end of the cycle. Are they people that demonstrated in a letter of intent that they already had all their vaccinations? Or do they let them start school while they're working on their vaccinations? I want to know because I'm waitlisted, and I intend to send a letter of intent soon.

I know they take vaccinations very seriously, but what happens to people that get accepted off of the waitlist near the end of the cycle. Are they people that demonstrated in a letter of intent that they already had all their vaccinations? Or do they let them start school while they're working on their vaccinations? I want to know because I'm waitlisted, and I intend to send a letter of intent soon.

If I recall correctly from interview day, you need to have had your titers drawn already by the deadline but it's okay if you are still in the process if vaccination

If I recall correctly from interview day, you need to have had your titers drawn already by the deadline but it's okay if you are still in the process if vaccination

Yup I second this. As long as you are in the process it's all good. Also, the vaccination deadline depends on when you were accepted.

I was recently accepted to KCU @ KC campus, and right now I am completing my last year of undergrad to graduate in the spring. Does anyone know if I need to do my best to keep grades/gpa up still? Or can I embrace the whole "C's get degrees" ideal now?

The latter.

Enjoy that senior semester, but don’t fail anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Can you get loans directly from KCU? On the loans page (sorry can't add link yet, google KCUMB loans and it pops up) it has interest rates at around 1.5% for those "qualifying". How does this work exactly, what does it take to qualify, and if selected how much aid do they offer per year toward your tuition?

I felt it was strange that I was interviewed by a librarian. I have decent stats and felt the interview went well but was rejected.

Recently was accepted to the Kansas city campus, but I interviewed at Joplin and didn't get to see the KC campus in person. Can anyone who interviewed there/current students give a little insight as to what it's like? I would like to put down my deposit for the school but i won't be able to visit before doing so

Recently was accepted to the Kansas city campus, but I interviewed at Joplin and didn't get to see the KC campus in person. Can anyone who interviewed there/current students give a little insight as to what it's like? I would like to put down my deposit for the school but i won't be able to visit before doing so
Most of us here only visited the area for a few hours. I would Google or use Google maps for a better description

I am having difficulty finding it, can anyone comment on the curriculum style? Thanks!