2017-2018 Marian University (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how to reduce the financial aid package? Do we accept first and then we can reduce?

Email Julia with the amount you want; she'll update it. Then you can accept.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did mucom already send out the information on the diagnostic supplies we need to buy?

Members don't see this ad :)
For any current students, how is board prep here?
Not very good, but they appear to want to make it better. It has changed for every class based on feedback. For the class of 2020 we were provided with Comquest, had a "course" at the end of the Fall semester that included lectures on different strategies, and had an integration course at the end of Spring semester that consisted of faculty reading Boardvitals questions and discussing answers. They also brought in individuals who gave presentations on how to excel on the Comlex but like the lectures at the end of the Fall semester, it was the same recommendations you get from everywhere.

Anyone have any idea how many spots are left / how much waitlist movement remains?

Spots left would be zero, considering the class is full until it’s not. No one can know how much waitlist movement will occur in a given year. Patience, my friend.

For some reason I feel like I read somewhere that the first 2 years are letter graded, not pass fail. Is that true?

For some reason I feel like I read somewhere that the first 2 years are letter graded, not pass fail. Is that true?
Can any student speak to whether this is a bad thing?

At the end of the day it’s pretty much the same. Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail = A/B/C/D. All schools need to have a ranking system for PDs to look at anyway

At the end of the day it’s pretty much the same. Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail = A/B/C/D. All schools need to have a ranking system for PDs to look at anyway

But don't most other schools only have P/F grading for the first year and then H/HP/P/F for only the preclinical years?

question, has anyone recently gotten off the waitlist here? also, does anyone know if MUCOM accepts CLEP testing for certain course requirements.

@MUCOM would you be able to give us some insight about waitlist movement from this cycle? i.e. last year there was about 50% movement down the list, how is it looking this year?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
@MUCOM would you be able to give us some insight about waitlist movement from this cycle? i.e. last year there was about 50% movement down the list, how is it looking this year?

Thank you!!
Hey! Not MUCOM, but i have been in contact with Daniel Goodpaster, he stated that waitlist movement has been significantly lower this year compared to others, but they do expect some more movement during the summer. Not sure if the official account has any more insight on this topic.

Hey! Not MUCOM, but i have been in contact with Daniel Goodpaster, he stated that waitlist movement has been significantly lower this year compared to others, but they do expect some more movement during the summer. Not sure if the official account has any more insight on this topic.

Thank you I appreciate it! For those still waitlisted, if we sent in intent letters should we send a follow up to state continued interest. Nothing has changed (grades or hours or anything) but just to let them know?

Thank you!!
All,
We are seeing significant less movement of the waitlist than we have seen in previous years. It is hard for us to predict these trends as we have no control of who decides to drop. If you are still interested in MU-COM and would like to send a letter of intent we will forward that on to the decision makers. We appreciate your patience during this anxious time.

Reactions: 1 users
It's because med school gets exponentially harder to get into each year so I am holding on to my spot for dear life and never letting go!

Reactions: 1 users
It's because med school gets exponentially harder to get into each year so I am holding on to my spot for dear life and never letting go!
Hahah this is so accurate ! :xf:

current student here and from what I've been told by professors and a lot of other students, pre-clinical grades really "don't matter." Obviously you need to pass which is above a 70%, but mainly your rank matters (we don't find that out). it's not as stressful as it sounds

Ok, just checking because i went to register for classes and saw there was a large number of openings left in each the classes we have to take. So wasn't sure if no one has registered yet or if that number just doesnt change even if you hit register. I haven't registered yet. I just got overwhelmed and took a nap.

So you don't actually register for classes like you did in undergrad. They register you automatically unless something has changed since last year. Also to the above posts, get immunizations and titers done asap because they take a while and if your titer comes back positive, you'll need to get vaccinated again which takes additional time!

Where did the majority of students live at MUCOM?
Some people like myself live in the overlook apartments on campus. Others live downtown, in broad ripple, or some apartment complexes nearby campus.

What do you all suppose the chances are for getting in from the wait list at this point? How many people are still on the list?

What do you all suppose the chances are for getting in from the wait list at this point? How many people are still on the list?
From MU COM's last post above, it sounds like the chances are pretty slim unless the list movement is delayed for some reason. This is unlikely. I would plan for the worst and hope for the best at this point. Plan accordingly now to attempt to ease the transition either way. I am unsure of how many are on the list currently and am unsure if MU COM would be willing to disclose this.

Last edited:
JUST RECEIVED MY OFFER OF ACCEPTANCE TODAY! It has been a long journey! Best of luck to everyone else still on the waitlist. Don't lose faith.

Reactions: 8 users
Has MUCOM released the final match list from this past year?

Withdrew from the entering class (accepted at an MD program nearer to home). Hopefully my spot goes to one of you lovely people! Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got accepted off the waitlist!!
I have been waiting for this day since September:) Looking forward to meeting you all!

Reactions: 4 users