2017-2018 Marian University (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi stu403270,
It typically takes us 2-4 weeks to complete applications and with it being the beginning of the cycle it is much closer to the 4 weeks. We are working as diligently as possible!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi stu403270,
It typically takes us 2-4 weeks to complete applications and with it being the beginning of the cycle it is much closer to the 4 weeks. We are working as diligently as possible!
Thank you for the clarification and quick reply!

For the question on the secondary, "In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why?" what if I don't know what area I want to study yet? I've had a little interest in a few specialties...but I'm not over the moon about a certain field yet. I figure once in medical school and doing rotations I would find my niche there. I obviously want to be very honest in my answer, but is that an awful answer that I don't know yet?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For the question on the secondary, "In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why?" what if I don't know what area I want to study yet? I've had a little interest in a few specialties...but I'm not over the moon about a certain field yet. I figure once in medical school and doing rotations I would find my niche there. I obviously want to be very honest in my answer, but is that an awful answer that I don't know yet?

I was much in the same boat. I started off by saying that I'm not quite sure yet and I'm open to working where the need is greatest, but then I expounded on one of my best experiences shadowing which inclined me towards a certain specialty. Not sure if that helps, but that's what I did.

I submitted my secondary on 6/23 and I just checked the status today and my letters still haven't been matched. I sent them through AACOMAS. Is it usual for it to take this long? Should I reach out to admissions?

Actually, I just read their attachment they sent in their e-mail with the secondary application information and it stated:
"The entire process—from your submission to our review—can take 2—3 weeks, depending on the volume of letters that we receive. Please resist the urge to call us about the status of your letters unless two weeks have passed from the date of our confirmation email."

Last edited:
AACOMAS verified on 6/27 and haven't gotten a secondary or any other email yet...is there some kind of screen for secondaries that I'm not clearing?

Any idea what it is?
Hi All,
It takes us 1-2 weeks once your primary is verified to screen for secondaries. Our minimum requirements for our secondary are 3.1 cGPA and a MCAT requirement

Hi All,
It takes us 1-2 weeks once your primary is verified to screen for secondaries. Our minimum requirements for our secondary are 3.1 cGPA and a MCAT requirement
It's pretty cool that MU-COM does this. Whoever had the idea of posting on SDN needs a raise.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi All,

Thank you very much for getting back to me! I just got the secondary this morning :)

How long did the confirmation email for payment take for you guys to get it? I just paid the $100 today but the confirmation email hasn't appeared yet and I can't submit the secondary without the payment ID.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got it almost immediately after I paid. Did you check your spam/junk folder?
How long did the confirmation email for payment take for you guys to get it? I just paid the $100 today but the confirmation email hasn't appeared yet and I can't submit the secondary without the payment ID.

I got it almost immediately after I paid. Did you check your spam/junk folder?

I did, and the confirmation email is not there. The $100 is a pending charge on the card I used so the payment looks like it went through. Oh well, guess I'll give them a call on Monday to sort this out.

I didn't get on email confirming completion, but my LORs from Interfolio have been received and my status is all check marks, so it looks like I'm complete. Does anyone know if they send out a complete email?

Ok I submitted on 6/23 and my application has yet to be completed. My letters have still not been assigned. Why is this taking so long?

Ok I submitted on 6/23 and my application has yet to be completed. My letters have still not been assigned. Why is this taking so long?
I'm sure admissions is very busy preparing for incoming students as well as this cycle. It's still early in the cycle! Patience is a virtue. :)

I sent my primary here a few days ago. Hopefully let's get some love :)

Did you get an e-mail saying your application was complete?
yes, but I had emailed them a question about one of my letters, and in their reply they said "as of today your application is complete" and when I login it says complete

Incoming MUCOM OMS-1 here, willing to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to PM me at any time :)

I didn't get on email confirming completion, but my LORs from Interfolio have been received and my status is all check marks, so it looks like I'm complete. Does anyone know if they send out a complete email?

So did people get emails? Online it says everything's good but no email.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I didn't get an email- I only found out today that my physician LOR isn't accepted because it didn't have a letterhead :/

So did people get emails? Online it says everything's good but no email.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hi djtallahassee,
We do not send out file complete emails, but your may check the status of you application at anytime on the AMP portal.

Last edited:
Does anyone still not have their letters uploaded? I submitted 7/10 and I checked today and my letters have still not been received.

How did you find that out? Did MUCOM send you an e-mail?

I wish they had. I was getting kinda paranoid that I wasn't hearing back from schools, so I visited the application portal tab and realized that my application wasn't complete because of it. Of course it was my mistake for not realizing I didn't get a complete email.

I wish they had. I was getting kinda paranoid that I wasn't hearing back from schools, so I visited the application portal tab and realized that my application wasn't complete because of it. Of course it was my mistake for not realizing I didn't get a complete email.

Did it say on your portal the reason why that letter was not accepted? It just says "Incomplete" next to my letters.

Just curious. Does anyone know how long it takes before we will start to hear back? I know it is very early, just want to know the time frame, is it mid August or mid September? Thanks!

Does anyone still not have their letters uploaded? I submitted 7/10 and I checked today and my letters have still not been received.

Mine has a green check mark by them all.

Just curious. Does anyone know how long it takes before we will start to hear back? I know it is very early, just want to know the time frame, is it mid August or mid September? Thanks!

Farther up in the thread MU COM said they will be sending out their first interview invites by the beginning to mid of August.

Did it say on your portal the reason why that letter was not accepted? It just says "Incomplete" next to my letters.

Not at all. I had to call up MU and ask what was the situation. Thankfully I found out about the letterhead issue, which should be resolved by tomorrow.

What if literally nothing has changed for me since I submitted my application? lol. Do I just say that in the essay?

What if literally nothing has changed for me since I submitted my application? lol. Do I just say that in the essay?
That is what I did. Submitted the secondary like 10 days after verification so nothing new to say.

Is there any point in listing/detailing research that didn't go anywhere? I did about 6 months of research on a project, but I graduated before it went anywhere. I did a lot of data analysis and whatnot, but it's nothing impressive and my work did not result in a publication with my name on it.

Is there any point in listing/detailing research that didn't go anywhere? I did about 6 months of research on a project, but I graduated before it went anywhere. I did a lot of data analysis and whatnot, but it's nothing impressive and my work did not result in a publication with my name on it.
Of course, research is still research.

So I recently got off the phone with MU-COM. I called regarding when we would hear about II's because it has been over a month since submittal of my secondary. After a nice conversation, they said they had a been busy recently and are just getting started with reviewing secondaries for interviews. If you are in the same boat that I am, don't be too worried.

So I recently got off the phone with MU-COM. I called regarding when we would hear about II's because it has been over a month since submittal of my secondary. After a nice conversation, they said they had a been busy recently and are just getting started with reviewing secondaries for interviews. If you are in the same boat that I am, don't be too worried.
so no projected date?

so no projected date?
Not that I heard. That said last year they were on August 22nd with secondaries being sent out in early July. With secondaries sent out on the 23rd this year, an educated guess would tell me early to mid-August. That said if some schools are able to send out II's within a week of review, such as ACOM or Liberty, who knows?

so no projected date?
Hi All,
We started reviewing applications for interview on Monday of this week and we project to have the first wave of interview invites sent out by the 2nd or 3rd week of August.

Reactions: 10 users
Hi All,
We started reviewing applications for interview on Monday of this week and we project to have the first wave of interview invites sent out by the 2nd or 3rd week of August.
Thank you for the update! If something needs to be changed from our primary application that AACOMAS can't change now, should we send an email to admissions?

Thank you for the update! If something needs to be changed from our primary application that AACOMAS can't change now, should we send an email to admissions?
Hi premedstudent,
If you will email [email protected] letting us know the specific update you have we will advise you how to move forward with your update..