2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any movement for WL 2 people or anyone else from the 3/2 interview group hear back? Hate to be asking again, but I'd love to know where everyone is at in the waiting club.. thanks! :)

I am T1, interviewed in Jan, and haven't gotten a call yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just declined my acceptance offer. That OOS tuition was the killer. Hopefully one of you gets an acceptance! Good luck!

I haven't got mine either! I am canadian tho and haven't submitted my i20 info so I think that's why.

I called in and I apparently had one but it wasn’t showing up. They reissued it and I had it 60 seconds later. But yeah it might be different for you

Members don't see this ad :)
I called in and I apparently had one but it wasn’t showing up. They reissued it and I had it 60 seconds later. But yeah it might be different for you

who did you call? maybe this is happening to me too.

Does the office of financial aid contact us after filing fafsa or do we need to contact them? Also do we need to file for scholarships? I was accepted after all the applications were due.

Does the office of financial aid contact us after filing fafsa or do we need to contact them? Also do we need to file for scholarships? I was accepted after all the applications were due.
You should get an email saying that your FAFSA was received by the school. Then you should receive another email when you're financial aid package has been awarded. I did my 2017-2018 FAFSA last year, so I already have my summer aid awards on stuinfo. If you're concern is summer aid and you just completed your 2017-2018 FAFSA for the summer, I would think you should see your aid package when the tuition bills are release in a few weeks. I don't think we will hear about fall aid until sometime during the summer.

If you didn't apply for scholarships by the deadline, you won't be able to receive any awarded by MSUCOM for this year. The application process is the same each year though and there weren't very many available for incoming students, so you'll have opportunities to apply every year starting next January.

You should get an email saying that your FAFSA was received by the school. Then you should receive another email when you're financial aid package has been awarded. I did my 2017-2018 FAFSA last year, so I already have my summer aid awards on stuinfo. If you're concern is summer aid and you just completed your 2017-2018 FAFSA for the summer, I would think you should see your aid package when the tuition bills are release in a few weeks. I don't think we will hear about fall aid until sometime during the summer.

If you didn't apply for scholarships by the deadline, you won't be able to receive any awarded by MSUCOM for this year. The application process is the same each year though and there weren't very many available for incoming students, so you'll have opportunities to apply every year starting next January.

I applied for scholarships as an incoming student but haven’t heard anything yet. Do you know if they are still looking through applications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interviewed 3/2 and was put on first tier WL on 3/22
So there are still tier 1 spots open.

I applied for scholarships as an incoming student but haven’t heard anything yet. Do you know if they are still looking through applications?

As of 3/28 scholarships have been decided (at least for current students). Not sure if it's different for incoming students but I expect the same deadline applies. Doesn't hurt to check with the school, though!

Can anyone clarify the COA for Canadians, ..... I just wanna be sure about this from someones who's looked into this

I've calculated that the tuition alone comes out to a total of 244K USD, which at the current exchange rate comes to $315K CAD? With living expenses factored in it nears $470K-$500K CAD ..... Canadian Banks will only finance upto $275K CAD max, and so then I'd have to go with a federal/provincial loan???? --- thats just insane, too much lol yikes

are my numbers right?

Reactions: 1 users

I'm in the same boat, so I'm not sure. Someone else suggested that we should have heard from MSUCOM informing us whether we did or did not receive anything this year and I haven't heard anything either. Probably will contact them to check about it.

Can anyone clarify the COA for Canadians, ..... I just wanna be sure about this from someones who's looked into this

I've calculated that the tuition alone comes out to a total of 244K USD, which at the current exchange rate comes to $315K CAD? With living expenses factored in it nears $470K-$500K CAD ..... Canadian Banks will only finance upto $275K CAD max, and so then I'd have to go with a federal/provincial loan???? --- thats just insane, too much lol yikes

are my numbers right?

Did you factor in the discounted tuition rate for Canadians? It's about 20k US/year.
You can get a provincial loan...I live in Ontario and we have OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program) They will provide sizeable finances and the interest rates are much better than the banks. The money that's given to you is a combination of grants (automatic consideration, don't have to pay back - aka free $$$) and loan (**** you have to pay back).

Did you factor in the discounted tuition rate for Canadians? It's about 20k US/year.
You can get a provincial loan...I live in Ontario and we have OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program) They will provide sizeable finances and the interest rates are much better than the banks. The money that's given to you is a combination of grants (automatic consideration, don't have to pay back - aka free $$$) and loan (**** you have to pay back).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understand is that OSAP will give approx. $10,000CAN/year ($40,000 over the course of medical school). This is less than our fellow medical students in Canada, as we are international students in the eyes of OSAP. Also, the OSAP interest rate is worse not better. I pay prime only on my $275,000 bank loan, and for OSAP I pay prime + 2.5% (you just don't have to pay interest until you are done school, unlike the bank loan).

With the Canadian scholarship, tuition still comes to $244,000US (around $315,000 CAN), which is still significantly less than OOS tuition. Assuming you took out OSAP and received the max. loan from a Canadian bank, you are JUST covering tuition. In addition to living expenses, you also need to pay for your monthly interest on the bank loan.

It is a tough road as an international student attending MSUCOM (because of high tuition) not receiving financial help from family (most do). I opted out of attending MSUCOM for this reason (and because I fell in love with KCUMB).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you took out OSAP and received the max. loan from a Canadian bank, you are JUST covering tuition

That's what I calculated it would come out to as well..... the OSAP and Bank Loan ONLY covers tuition.

Assuming modest living conditions I've been getting a figure of about $150,000 CAD ~ $120,000 USD in living/miscellaneous expenses over the four years. This ~$150,000 CAD will most likely be coming from a lean against the house (thats a ton of money gone from mom & dad, unless you're balling and can liquefy that much cash lol).

Can any Canadian comment on the figure of $40,000 CAD from OSAP? Will they finance more? I'm planning my finances btw. Just trying to plan ahead as much as I can.....

Last edited:
That's what I calculated it would come out to as well..... the OSAP and Bank Loan ONLY covers tuition.

Assuming modest living conditions I've been getting a figure of about $150,000 CAD ~ $120,000 USD in living/miscellaneous expenses over the four years. This ~$150,000 CAD will most likely be coming from a lean against the house (thats a ton of money gone from mom & dad, unless you're balling and can liquefy that much cash lol).

Can any Canadian comment on the figure of $40,000 CAD from OSAP? Will they finance more? I'm planning my finances btw. Just trying to plan ahead as much as I can.....

I know OSAP has restructured, so maybe (hopefully) they will fund more. Your best bet would be to call the Ontario financial aid office.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/study-abroad (all contact info is there)

I know OSAP has restructured, so maybe (hopefully) they will fund more. Your best bet would be to call the Ontario financial aid office.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/study-abroad (all contact info is there)

This is incorrect. I believe we should provide correct information instead of "hoping" for something that won't happen. OSAP will give out $390/week of full time classes for students studying in CANADA, and $210/week for those OUTSIDE of Canada. I've called, spoken with OSAP agents, and already submitted my application for the July start of classes. We are in school for approximately 48 weeks in the first two years (48*210 = $10,080 a year).
Source:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/maximum-amounts-aid#section-0

I'm not trying to crush anyones spirits. But living in a world where you "hope" OSAP will lend you $150,000 is ludicrous.
Also in order to receive your I20/F1 visa, you are going to have to demonstrate proof of the ability to pay for your full tuition and living expenses (which the school determines). If you don't have the financial documents, most schools will not allow you to attend.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why we can't have family members coat us at the white coat ceremony? I just learned this and I'm so disappointed because both of my parents graduated from here so I wanted them both to coat me :(

If you were accepted a while ago, they started sending the PID/PAN out a couple of weeks ago. Check your application page and see if you have it in there. I received an email about it and logged in and found it.
this might be a dumb question.... but what's a PID/PAN? Haha

this might be a dumb question.... but what's a PID/PAN? Haha
You need it to set up your student email and other accounts. They're personal identifiers they assign you after you pay your deposit and accept your offer.

This is incorrect. I believe we should provide correct information instead of "hoping" for something that won't happen. OSAP will give out $390/week of full time classes for students studying in CANADA, and $210/week for those OUTSIDE of Canada. I've called, spoken with OSAP agents, and already submitted my application for the July start of classes. We are in school for approximately 48 weeks in the first two years (48*210 = $10,080 a year).
Source:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/maximum-amounts-aid#section-0

I'm not trying to crush anyones spirits. But living in a world where you "hope" OSAP will lend you $150,000 is ludicrous.
Also in order to receive your I20/F1 visa, you are going to have to demonstrate proof of the ability to pay for your full tuition and living expenses (which the school determines). If you don't have the financial documents, most schools will not allow you to attend.

I’m not saying that I am providing accurate information, although I would have loved to,I can’t. That is why I provided the link in order to better direct those to get the information they’re looking for from the source.

Hoping for something is not impractical, it’s anticipatong the best case scenario. Hoping for something, so long as you prepare for the worst, does no harm...that’s being realistic and knowing that a range of outcomes are possible.

You may not intend to crush spirits, but you may want to reconsider how others may interpret that, or other things you say, for example your patients down the road.

You may not intend to crush spirits, but you may want to reconsider how others may interpret that, or other things you say, for example your patients down the road.

See, the problem is that I am providing information through a computer screen. My intentions were never to offend you. The facts are the facts. However, if we were in person, I would have been able to relay the information with much more empathy (I am in a similar situation) than I can through a computer screen.

My objective with that post was to provide clear and correct information for those international students who are reading, or will read, this thread. There is nothing worse than working extremely hard to be accepted as an international student, only to find out the reality of the financial situation. I would rather call out incorrect information for what it is, than have someone go through that. Just my $0.02.

Does anyone know why we can't have family members coat us at the white coat ceremony? I just learned this and I'm so disappointed because both of my parents graduated from here so I wanted them both to coat me :(
I don't know when the last time that's been a thing. The ceremony is really long, there's 300 people to get through, and the walk across the stage is so quick there'd be no way for everyone who wanted to do this to do it. Hopefully than can hood you at graduation!

I don't know when the last time that's been a thing. The ceremony is really long, there's 300 people to get through, and the walk across the stage is so quick there'd be no way for everyone who wanted to do this to do it. Hopefully than can hood you at graduation!

That makes sense. So you don't even really get "coated"?

See, the problem is that I am providing information through a computer screen. My intentions were never to offend you. The facts are the facts. However, if we were in person, I would have been able to relay the information with much more empathy (I am in a similar situation) than I can through a computer screen.

My objective with that post was to provide clear and correct information for those international students who are reading, or will read, this thread. There is nothing worse than working extremely hard to be accepted as an international student, only to find out the reality of the financial situation. I would rather call out incorrect information for what it is, than have someone go through that. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the help both of you. Looks like a lean against the home it is (OSAP doesn’t cut it) Lol thank your mom and dad (No early retirement for them).

I’ll be in so much debt yo lol In all seriousness, I won’t be attending msucom (I can afford it, but it’s simply too much) - I’ll be going to another DO program. Cheers.

Thanks for the help both of you. Looks like a lean against the home it is (OSAP doesn’t cut it) Lol thank your mom and dad (No early retirement for them).

I’ll be in so much debt yo lol In all seriousness, I won’t be attending msucom (I can afford it, but it’s simply too much) - I’ll be going to another DO program. Cheers.

LOL hopefully ill be able to take your spot, best of luck fam!

Received a call this morning, I got accepted off the T1 Waitlist for Canadians. Any of you Canadian students still keep up some hope!

Received a call this morning, I got accepted off the T1 Waitlist for Canadians. Any of you Canadian students still keep up some hope!

Another future Canadian DO! Welcome to the club (small club) lol Congrats fellow Canuck! Team Canada for the win

Interviewed 03/20, just offered a spot on Tier 1 wait list today! Don't want to get my hopes up but wow was I excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed in Jan, was T1, got call yesterday at 230 with acceptance offer.

Reactions: 6 users
Did you guys get accepted off the Canadian or American waitlist?

I am an American applicant, and I was never on the waitlist (I don't know if that makes a difference to your question)

I just want to get accepted off the Canadian WL so I can help defend the ping pong title over at DMC...and also help people.

Reactions: 2 users
If I'm reading everything correct our first day of class beings \Monday June 11th and orientation begins Wednesday June 6th.

My question, will there be any academic obligations over that weekend prior to class officially starting? Trying to see if I can commit to a mini trip with the family before the gauntlet drops.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if anyone from tier II waitlist has been accepted yet?