2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I recently interviewed here (02/16) and forgot to ask this question so maybe you all can help me out. I'm a Canadian and know they have a special tuition set for Canadian students. I was looking online and there is a deadline to send in an application for the scholarship ( that will supplement the tution) on March 1st. I am not sure if I can still apply although I haven't been accepted? Or as an oncoming student are you already considered for this award ?

I’m not sure if I read this correctly, but I believe that we’re already offered an adjusted tuition rate because we’re Canadian!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I recently interviewed here (02/16) and forgot to ask this question so maybe you all can help me out. I'm a Canadian and know they have a special tuition set for Canadian students. I was looking online and there is a deadline to send in an application for the scholarship ( that will supplement the tution) on March 1st. I am not sure if I can still apply although I haven't been accepted? Or as an oncoming student are you already considered for this award ?

I’m not sure if I read this correctly, but I believe that we’re already offered an adjusted tuition rate because we’re Canadian!

Yup!! Should be -10,000 USD each Fall and Spring Semester (-80,000 USD total over the course of the 4 years)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is May 1st the latest that a Canadian can be accepted off the waitlist? I read that on the MSUCOM Waitlist FAQ but I thought I saw a Canadian on last year's thread get accepted in mid-May. I want to make travel plans for May but I'm nervous that if I get off the waitlist while I'm traveling in mid-May, I won't be able to do all the paperwork in time for early June! The school I've been accepted to starts in July so I thought I'd be safe to travel in May!

First tiered 2/9, Haven't heard anything yet. Fingers crossed everyone, its getting a little late :/

When is the final date for those with acceptances to make deposit?

For those of you wondering, MSU is still sending out II's! Received one this morning.

Tier 1 Waitlist, Interviewed 02/16, Canadian

Withdrawing my acceptance, I hope it goes to one of you awesome Student Doctor folks! Best of luck to all the future Spartans, MSUCOM is a great school!

Reactions: 5 users
For those of you wondering, MSU is still sending out II's! Received one this morning.

Congrats! When were you complete? And stats/IS vs OOS if you don’t mind?

Was wondering if someone could shed some light on this...I know MSU says on their website that the last day for Canadians to be admitted is May 1st, however most Canadian medical schools don’t give out admissions decisions until around May 10th...so if a Canadian is holding that spot but then they decide to drop out because they got accepted to a Canadian medical school, will MSUCOM fill that spot, even though it’s after May 1st??

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call this morning! Accepted

Reactions: 6 users
Just got the call this morning as well!!! Accepted off Tier 1!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! Got the call 2/27. 1st tier waitlist. Interviewed 1/24.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Got the call 2/27. 1st tier waitlist. Interviewed 1/24.

For all of those who recently got an acceptance call off of the waitlist, was that the American or Canadian waitlist?

Can any Canadians shed light on which insurance they are getting? I heard the Manulife Student Travel insurance works for most D.O. schools, does anyone know if this insurance works for MSUCOM as well? I have to show proof that I have insurance for another school by May 1st so I'm trying to find insurance that would work for both schools in case I end up getting accepted into MSUCOM!

Does anyone when the first day of classes are? I am trying to coordinate my moving.

Can any Canadians shed light on which insurance they are getting? I heard the Manulife Student Travel insurance works for most D.O. schools, does anyone know if this insurance works for MSUCOM as well? I have to show proof that I have insurance for another school by May 1st so I'm trying to find insurance that would work for both schools in case I end up getting accepted into MSUCOM!
I didn't know we needed to get insurance :oops: will I still need it if I'm living in Windsor?

I didn't know we needed to get insurance :oops: will I still need it if I'm living in Windsor?

I believe you can opt-out of the school insurance if you have another insurance that offers the same level of coverage!

Does anyone when the first day of classes are? I am trying to coordinate my moving.
We have mandatory orientation stuff on June 6 and June 8, classes begin on June 11, and convocation is on June 16.

Cheers

James

Anyone know when the next deposit due date is? Currently waitlisted with a non-refundable deposit due at another school next week. Just curious about the possible chance of getting the call prior to sending that.

So are II done here?
If you look at the previous page, I received a II a week ago for 3/20. Going back to the last couple application threads, it seems MSU is typically done with interviews beginning of March. Not sure why interviews are taking place later this year, but if II are not completely done, they are very close.

Also, in an article about a different conversation altogether (can't post the link, but it is a Detroit News article published today about Osteopathic Medicine), a MSUCOM spokesperson said- “As of Feb. 22, 300 admitted applicants have accepted an admissions offer,” she said. “That is a full class.”

That's all I got.

If you look at the previous page, I received a II a week ago for 3/20. Going back to the last couple application threads, it seems MSU is typically done with interviews beginning of March. Not sure why interviews are taking place later this year, but if II are not completely done, they are very close.

Also, in an article about a different conversation altogether (can't post the link, but it is a Detroit News article published today about Osteopathic Medicine), a MSUCOM spokesperson said- “As of Feb. 22, 300 admitted applicants have accepted an admissions offer,” she said. “That is a full class.”

That's all I got.
I was able to find the article. Thanks for sharing!

That's all I got.

So does this mean they are no longer pulling from the WL?

So does this mean they are no longer pulling from the WL?
I interpreted it as 300 people have paid a desposit. Some of those are likely waiting to hear from other schools and will decline their acceptance to MSU should they choose to go elsewhere. Plus I’m not sure if MSU is seating exactly 300 (as opposed to 305, 310, etc.).

To actually answer your question: WL movement should continue as needed.

I interpreted it as 300 people have paid a desposit. Some of those are likely waiting to hear from other schools and will decline their acceptance to MSU should they choose to go elsewhere. Plus I’m not sure if MSU is seating exactly 300 (as opposed to 305, 310, etc.).

That's a big entering class..

They seat around that. Most of us will have to wait until at least mid-April when MD waitlists start moving to get any news from MSUCOM.

Am I out of my mind or is this reasonable? I am currently on the 1st tier waitlist here, and have been accepted to another school. That other school is unwilling to give me anymore deadline extensions to pay the fees (I have nagged them multiple times now and been given two extensions already.) I am seriously considering rescinding the acceptance and saving myself the ~$2200 that it's going to cost to pay both the first and second deposit as well as for the background check/drug test, on the basis that MSUCOM will accept all of its 1st tier waitlist as they claim to have done in the past.
US or Canada?

United States, my bad forgot to include that.
There is no right choice here, but here is what I know as fact. The past 2 years have had all T1 and half of T2 (US) come off by when classes begin in June. Also, people have started getting off the waitlist (or are at least reporting it earlier on SDN) earlier this year than last year and I believe the year before, which could be indicative of a good amount of movement. So it's a safe bet as far as bets go, but I don't know if a Medical School acceptance is something worth betting on.

Am I out of my mind or is this reasonable? I am currently on the 1st tier waitlist here, and have been accepted to another school. That other school is unwilling to give me anymore deadline extensions to pay the fees (I have nagged them multiple times now and been given two extensions already.) I am seriously considering rescinding the acceptance and saving myself the ~$2200 that it's going to cost to pay both the first and second deposit as well as for the background check/drug test, on the basis that MSUCOM will accept all of its 1st tier waitlist as they claim to have done in the past.
That's a tough spot you're in. I would personally not take the gamble, though.

Reactions: 2 users

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Take the initial cash hit, it'll be worth it in the end in case things don't work out.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone from the 3/2 interview group hear back yet?

Anyone from the 3/2 interview group hear back yet?
I haven't but I think it'll be either tomorrow or in two weeks. That's my best guess. I think they said the committee meets every other week?

MSUCOM COMLEX Level 1 first time pass rate jumped from 88.55% to 97.54% in one year. Is this because COMSAE cutoff score of people who were allowed to take the COMLEX 1 was increased from 425 to 450? In other words, less people were allowed into 3rd year than in the previous years? I would like to know.
I do not know this for sure, but from what I *do* know, around a chunk of people failed COMSAE and were not permitted to enter into third year. They are now in the class of 2020. IMO it's a good thing, better to take COMSAE now and repeat a year than fail Level 1. But that's my guess why the pass rate increased.

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to understand the match process more since I've seen all these posts from MD school matches, but haven't seen any articles yet about 2018 COM matches. I even saw an article about MSUCHM match day, but not MSUCOM. Do you guys know why that would be. I also found this disturbing list: 2017 Summary by College where it says MSUCOM has a 52.4% match rate. Can someone explain this to me?

Also what is the difference between AOA matches ACGME

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to understand the match process more since I've seen all these posts from MD school matches, but haven't seen any articles yet about 2018 COM matches. I even saw an article about MSUCHM match day, but not MSUCOM. Do you guys know why that would be. I also found this disturbing list: 2017 Summary by College where it says MSUCOM has a 52.4% match rate. Can someone explain this to me?
We didn't have an official school match day celebration because the school is cheap ;). Naw, really it's because the class is split between the two matches (ACGME and AOA) and it doesn't make sense to have two parties. I expect they'll start having one when the matches are combined (see below). The 'low' match rate is because those stats are only for the AOA match. Only about half of the class participated in that match. As you can see from that spreadsheet most other DO schools are the same -- looks like MSUCOM is actually the highest match rate in the AOA match (because we have so many AOA spots affiliated with the school through the Statewide Campus System). When all is said and done around 99% of the class ends up placed in a residency position.
Also what is the difference between AOA matches ACGME
Historically the AOA match was just for DOs and the ACGME match was for MDs. You won't ever have to worry about this as there will only be one match by 2020!

We didn't have an official school match day celebration because the school is cheap ;). Naw, really it's because the class is split between the two matches (ACGME and AOA) and it doesn't make sense to have two parties. I expect they'll start having one when the matches are combined (see below). The 'low' match rate is because those stats are only for the AOA match. Only about half of the class participated in that match. As you can see from that spreadsheet most other DO schools are the same -- looks like MSUCOM is actually the highest match rate in the AOA match (because we have so many AOA spots affiliated with the school through the Statewide Campus System). When all is said and done around 99% of the class ends up placed in a residency position.

Historically the AOA match was just for DOs and the ACGME match was for MDs. You won't ever have to worry about this as there will only be one match by 2020!

Since there will only be one match by 2020, is that going to put me at a disadvantage being a D.O. Also why is there a low AOA? Is it because most go into ACGME? Also does MSUCOM use the NRMP or something else?

Also I was looking at the AOA and ACGME residency match lists and I realized most go into MI/Midwest regions. When I look at this list are these usually the only hospitals interested in MSUCOM students or does it depend on where we apply. I'm getting married soon and my fiance lives in NY so ideally my choice in residency would be in NY. Looking at these lists I became a little demoralized and now am worried if I'd ever be able to go to NY. Can you shed more light on that? http://com.msu.edu/Students/Career_Guidance/Match Data/2017 ACGME Match.pdf and http://com.msu.edu/Students/Career_Guidance/Match Data/2017 AOA Match.pdf