2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Right. Being a Michigan resident is the most important factor. The college takes ~10% OOS students and <10% Canadian students but otherwise are obligated(?) to have the rest of the class be from Michigan... which is great for those of us from Michigan as the class could otherwise be filled with better-qualified OOS students! ;)
That make me feel better! I am happy to be a Michigan resident, just hoping my credentials meet their standards!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow thats huge! I am just trying to see my chances of getting in there. I have a GPA 3.5 and 499 on MCAT. My friend who has the same GPA and a 500 on MCAT just got an interview today. MSU's process is a little weird, I don't understand their order. I know they were looking at students who applied to the early program where MCAT scores aren't required first.
Are you from Michigan then? Because normally they favor higher MCATs.

edit: Oops, just saw you are from Michigan

Are you from Michigan then? Because normally they favor higher MCATs.

edit: Oops, just saw you are from Michigan
Yes! I apologize for not including that in the response! Do you know students with my MCAT score who have gotten in??

Members don't see this ad :)
completed 6/27. IS and still no love =(

I was complete like a half year later I think (lol) and got in. It's still relatively early in the cycle.

Anyone know MSUCOM's interview:acceptance ratio?

Over 50% I believe? It's rolling admissions, and early in the cycle, so the odds are definitely in your favor if you receive an II anytime soon. Use that as a confidence booster, but still make sure to do well at the interview.

This definitely didn't sound correct to me, but at our interview last year Dr. Ruger said about 70% would be accepted. That seems high but hey, it's encouraging!

Would interviewing Sept 28th vs Sept 8th significantly affect my chances here considering rolling admissions? Im just not sure what to do rn

Dr. Ruger said during my interview that 625 applicants interviewed last year and 444 were offered admission at some point (whether initially or from a waitlist) during the cycle. Only 44 were denied admission outright

I just submitted my secondary application OOS (With familial ties to Michigan - not sure if that makes any difference). Is this late considered for OOS?

Dr. Ruger said during my interview that 625 applicants interviewed last year and 444 were offered admission at some point (whether initially or from a waitlist) during the cycle. Only 44 were denied admission outright
but then what about the other 137 that weren't rejected or admitted right away or from the waitlist? they stayed on the waitlist until classes started before getting rejected?

You're good, it is rolling admissions with most DO, so you could submit in November theoretically and still get an interview.
I just submitted my secondary application OOS (With familial ties to Michigan - not sure if that makes any difference). Is this late considered for OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would interviewing Sept 28th vs Sept 8th significantly affect my chances here considering rolling admissions? Im just not sure what to do rn

If you got any other interview invites between the 8th and 28th, I'd push back to 28th (especially if one is an MMI). I'm glad I had several interviews that 'prepped' me before my MSU interview since this school was among my top 3. Obviously as the cycle goes on, it's probably better to get an earlier interview slot, but I don't think it makes any difference anytime soon.

but then what about the other 137 that weren't rejected or admitted right away or from the waitlist? they stayed on the waitlist until classes started before getting rejected?

Yes. For the last two years, they had three tiers for the waitlist. Last year, they said all of tier 1 (for the previous cycle, so two years ago) and half of tier 2 got acceptances. I don't know if something similar happened in my cycle, but I imagine at the very least most, if not all, of tier 1 got acceptances.

Last cycle, we got an email in early Feb with some application stats. They invited 9-10% of applicants to interview, and they had 280 paid deposits out of 568 (keep in mind, a number of people might have interviewed but chose to go elsewhere and so didn't pay the deposit...it doesn't necessarily mean there's only a 49-50% acceptance rate after the interview) with 2 more interview dates left.

Reactions: 1 users
If we missed our secondary deadline do you think we can still submit? Mine was super early 7/19 and I had some family health issues that took my focus away from apps.

If we missed our secondary deadline do you think we can still submit? Mine was super early 7/19 and I had some family health issues that took my focus away from apps.

If you email Admissions and let them know what happened, and are sincere and own it, then they should hopefully be able to give you an extension.

I did the same thing but mine was just an overlooking of the date. Called admissions the next business day and asked if an extension was possible. Was given 1 week and they said it was not a big deal. End result was an acceptance, I don't think it hurt me in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wow thats huge! I am just trying to see my chances of getting in there. I have a GPA 3.5 and 499 on MCAT. My friend who has the same GPA and a 500 on MCAT just got an interview today. MSU's process is a little weird, I don't understand their order. I know they were looking at students who applied to the early program where MCAT scores aren't required first.
Yeah I'm starting to consider not hitting submit on the payment for that secondary..100 bucks for nothing it is sounding like for OOS

II just now! Yay! Definitely one of my top choices so super excited!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey there! Another current OMS I at MSU COM, here to offer any help or advice!

I was late to the application cycle, wasn't complete until late October, and thought I had no chance of getting in, but here I am! So don't fret too much, enjoy your summers because this may be your last free one :p

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I was wondering if there was anyone that interviewed on July 25th that has heard back yet? I figured this would be a good place to see when they make the calls! Best of luck everyone!

Hey guys, I was wondering if there was anyone that interviewed on July 25th that has heard back yet? I figured this would be a good place to see when they make the calls! Best of luck everyone!
I have not

still waiting on that II MSUCOM

I got an II Aug 8th :) This is my first choice and I absolutely love the school, really hope I can woo the interviewers! Any tips on how to prep for the interview?

Reactions: 2 users
MMI is more forgiving anyways. You can use the same experiences to answer different questions and it doesn't get old like a panel interview.

Is there even the remotest possibility we could be asked if we applied to MSU's MD school or if accepted to both which one would we choose???

I got an II Aug 8th :) This is my first choice and I absolutely love the school, really hope I can woo the interviewers! Any tips on how to prep for the interview?

From an earlier page:

I said:
Current first-year here, but I found the interview last year to be pretty laid back. Then again, I felt all my MMI-format interviews were much easier than the non-MMI standard interviews, but some people think the opposite. There's not a whole lot you can do to prepare for MMIs, but I would find a mock MMI online (https://multipleminiinterview.com/mmi-questions/) (couple of helpful vids on YT too) just so it's not a complete surprise. What I did the day before the interview was a 30min-1hr mock MMI just so I wasn't rusty, plus I reread my primary/CV and secondary applications and personal statement. Remember, there are no 'right' or 'wrong' answers, but sometimes you can gleam from the scenario the type of response you should give/qualities you should demonstrate. If you're chosen for the interview, you have one foot through the door. So be yourself and carry yourself well and you will definitely get that acceptance!

From an earlier page:
Thank you for this :] I heard they had a high acceptance rate for the interviewees, but I don't know how much that's true. I see that you're a student there now (from your banner), are you happy with your decision?

Last edited:
I received an "advising appointment" from MSUCOM... I am unsure if this is an interview or a pre-interview step... if its a pre-interview step, should I do it by phone instead of booking a trip to Michigan from FL?

I received an "advising appointment" from MSUCOM... I am unsure if this is an interview or a pre-interview step... if its a pre-interview step, should I do it by phone instead of booking a trip to Michigan from FL?
Did you request an advising appointment through the online system? I don't think it's customary for them to set up advising appointments out of the blue... but I would certainly do it over phone as opposed to in person. If it's unclear what the purpose of this appointment is, however, I would call the admissions office and clarify.

Did you request an advising appointment through the online system? I don't think it's customary for them to set up advising appointments out of the blue... but I would certainly do it over phone as opposed to in person. If it's unclear what the purpose of this appointment is, however, I would call the admissions office and clarify.
I did not request an advising appointment! I will call today.

I would definitely call to clarify if you're not sure. I only had advising appointments when I specifically scheduled them.

Can't decide If i want to send my secondary or not. OOS 3.6/3.5 501 halp

I really want that II :( How much does this school care about a low cars score?

Just in case anyone was wondering when they would hear back: I interviewed on July 25th and received a phone call this morning! Good luck to everyone and looking forward to meeting you as future classmates!

Reactions: 11 users
Just in case anyone was wondering when they would hear back: I interviewed on July 25th and received a phone call this morning! Good luck to everyone and looking forward to meeting you as future classmates!
That's so exciting, congrats! I hope to get a call soon too, fingers crossed!

Congrats! Hoping mine comes in the next couple days :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 users
I really want that II :( How much does this school care about a low cars score?
Same situation here. I live in East Lansing so this is my number one school and a low CARS score is literally the only thing in my whole app holding me back.

Oh jeez, now I'm not gonna be able to put my phone down ever