2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Naw, that's only the fifth interview day with many more to follow. No reason to change it unless you can't do the date!

Thanks fam!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if you get to chose the campus you wish to attend, or is it decided for you?

Does anyone know if you get to chose the campus you wish to attend, or is it decided for you?
You are able to chose from the remaining spots available when accepted. So early in the season you have your pick of the three while if you're one of the last few you may be assigned to MUC -- typically the last to fill.

For some sort of context: DMC filled in late Jan/early Feb my year, while EL filled mid Feb/early March. (We didn't have interviews at all, however, so this may be a bit different than the current timeline).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You are able to chose from the remaining spots available when accepted. So early in the season you have your pick of the three while if you're one of the last few you may be assigned to MUC -- typically the last to fill.

For some sort of context: DMC filled in late Jan/early Feb my year, while EL filled mid Feb/early March. (We didn't have interviews at all, however, so this may be a bit different than the current timeline).

Also you'll probably have the opportunity to switch before school starts - I was accepted in May and was automatically assigned to Macomb which was the only campus with spots remaining, but was able to transfer to EL off a waitlist.

You rank them 1, 2, and 3. DMC filled first last year, then EL. Also, towards the end of the cycle, if you get the option to switch to another site, you may only get a 24 hour window to let the admissions office know (otherwise you'll remain at your currently assigned location).

How many interviewees are there on interview day?

I believe there are somewhere around 40ish+ people each day though the groups are typically split in half (i.e., half do interviews while half do a tour/student panel -- then swap places the afternoon).

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe there are somewhere around 40ish+ people each day though the groups are typically split in half (i.e., half do interviews while half do a tour/student panel -- then swap places the afternoon).
I think it was closer to 30 for mine, but yes

EDIT: 30 per group (1 group morning; 1 afternoon), but the morning/afternoon are separate interview/tour sessions so you're only interviewing "with" a group of 30ish

Last edited:
People who interviewed, do they hand out a lot of folders/papers? I'm overly-stressing about what kind of bag to bring.

People who interviewed, do they hand out a lot of folders/papers? I'm overly-stressing about what kind of bag to bring.
They didn't hand out much

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

They didn't hand out much

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Next to nothing, basically. A little brochure thing and maybe one other thing? Most people didn't have bags at all

Reactions: 1 users
I was thinking of bringing a laptop shoulder bag. Should that be okay?

Accepted!! Omg!

Reactions: 3 users
When you get to East Lansing and your hotel doesn't have an iron... Hello Wal-Mart

Reactions: 2 users
I was thinking of bringing a laptop shoulder bag. Should that be okay?

I don't think you'll need a bag. I think I just brought a folder with my resume inside and some blank sheets to take any notes. Don't think I even opened it.

Did anyone have an advising appointment? Received the email today and wasn't sure if it was legit or a mass email

If you don't get selected for II do they typically wait until the end of the cycle to let you know or are you rejected flat out?

OOS, really low GPA - high MCAT just wondering if I'm gonna get any love here :(

Did anyone send a thank you note after their interview? I had mine today, but I'm not really sure who I would send one to.
I wouldn't worry about it. If you do, though, you can send it addressed to admissions or Dr. Ruger. Either way it will eventually get shared with the interviewers as well!

OOS with lots of family and ties to the state, and my letter writer + mentor is an MSU Almuni, should I bother sending a primary now with average stats? 504 mcat, 3.5 GPA

If you don't get selected for II do they typically wait until the end of the cycle to let you know or are you rejected flat out?

OOS, really low GPA - high MCAT just wondering if I'm gonna get any love here :(

Curious as well. Its been 60 days.

OOS with lots of family and ties to the state, and my letter writer + mentor is an MSU Almuni, should I bother sending a primary now with average stats? 504 mcat, 3.5 GPA
All of those factors would certainly help you... so if you think you could stomach the tuition I would encourage it. Unfortunately OOS applicants have a much lower chance than IS applicants and applying early is beneficial -- so I would say your chances are low but not zero.

Just submitted IIs. The only thing left for my app is LoR. My school still does pre-health committee packets and its showing up under my advisors name as one letter. Should I call MSUCOM and see if they can recognize it as more than one on their end? Thanks in advance.

Did anyone send a thank you note after their interview? I had mine today, but I'm not really sure who I would send one to.
I just sent a quick email addressed to Dr Ruger and the admissions committee.

What's the "Interview Day" tab used for on interview day? Do they give you a prompt and make you write an essay?

if you're really passionate about this school, why not?

also, great picture

It might be still too early in the cycle for this, but if you don't have that many options and/or MSU is your top choice, consider writing a letter of intent.

Hello. Are you saying to write a letter of intent after you interview or before?
I am OOS from Colorado currently in the MBS program. 4+ years of clinical, research and health policy experience with state senator who is also an MD. uGPA is not great but doing a lot better in MBS. Also first generation and after reading their mission statement I think that my experiences may fit in with what they are looking for.
advice?

Hello. Are you saying to write a letter of intent after you interview or before?
I am OOS from Colorado currently in the MBS program. 4+ years of clinical, research and health policy experience with state senator who is also an MD. uGPA is not great but doing a lot better in MBS. Also first generation and after reading their mission statement I think that my experiences may fit in with what they are looking for.
advice?
It's usually a waitlist thing from what I've gathered.

Congrats to all accepted! Welcome to the MSUCOM family!

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk

Anyone know when the Sept 8th group will hear? No one that day mentioned how long after the interview we would hear back.

Since 6/27. Starting to feel like RIP MSUCOM

I was complete sometime in july, didnt hear a peep till thanksgiving. Currently a 1st year here, youll be fine. Dont worry, just keep working on your app send in meaningful updates. Maybe meet with an admissions counselor, do whatever you can to really show your interest!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't hang your hats yet. I applied last year and got waitlisted at the same time people from my group had calls. Remember, you are assigned to 1 of 10 members of the commitee to review your app. They will make a recommendation to the rest of the committee and then they vote. Pretty much, you are dependent on how long someone wants to procrastinate. Be calm for now.

Also, interviewed 9/8. No call yet.

Be patient, friends. It's only been a week. Chances are you've got a minimum of another week before you'll hear anything.

My heart knows this, but my impatience defines my neuroticism.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users