2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I was completed late June, am I SOL for an II?

Members don't see this ad.

If I was completed late June, am I SOL for an II?

I was not complete until thanksgiving time, didn't interview until February. Accepted right after interview avoiding wait list. There is still plenty of time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed July 25th and got the phone call yesterday morning! Definitely the greatest call I have ever gotten!

Reactions: 9 users
Just got my call about an hour and a half ago! Couldn't be more excited! Gonna be choosing the DMC site

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call! Good luck everyone and can't wait to meet my fellow classmates!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I even sent out my primary at this point, and some of y'all have already gotten acceptances. Congratulations! Kick back and enjoy the next 10 months!

Reactions: 1 users
FYI for those who have been admitted or will be in the coming months: I created a Facebook group for the Class of 2022 and would love to add everybody in the new class to it. Message me for the link/invite!

II just now

GPA ~3.3-3.5ish for cGPA/sGPA
MCAT 90%+
IS

Submitted 7/7

i have an interview on september 8th, any idea when i might hear back from the school whether im accepted or not? THANKS GUYS

i have an interview on september 8th, any idea when i might hear back from the school whether im accepted or not? THANKS GUYS

Within 30 days. Waitlists/Rejections generally are sent on/very close to the 30-day mark. Acceptances may come before that, may not, but they say 30-day max for all decisions

Good luck to everyone applying!

Current fourth year student here. Even though I likely can't answer many specifics about the preclerkship years, I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Sooo I missed the deadline to submit my supplemental, i have just recently graduated with my masters and was busy writing my research thesis etc and totally missed this one. I have emailed them asking for an extension, but do you think it is even worth still applying since this probably gives my application a red flag? My supplemental was half completed when they blacked everything out. My due date was aproxx 2 weeks ago. :( thanks!

Sooo I missed the deadline to submit my supplemental, i have just recently graduated with my masters and was busy writing my research thesis etc and totally missed this one. I have emailed them asking for an extension, but do you think it is even worth still applying since this probably gives my application a red flag? My supplemental was half completed when they blacked everything out. My due date was aproxx 2 weeks ago. :( thanks!
You should be fine -- I wouldn't worry about it. Just be sure to submit it promptly once they re-open the application for you! Hope the thesis-writing went well.

Reactions: 1 user

Idk if I would. Ive been waiting WEEKS after submitting my secondary very early July.

Still apply! I did the same thing. Submitted once the application was reopened. Resulted in acceptance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Idk if I would. Ive been waiting WEEKS after submitting my secondary very early July.
This is bad advice. Email and ask for an extension and submit ASAP. The DO cycle is much longer than MD's, and anything before Thanksgiving is still early. Many people on last years' thread asked to have it reopened and they did it no problem. Definitely still apply if you are interested in MSUCOM.

This is bad advice. Email and ask for an extension and submit ASAP. The DO cycle is much longer than MD's, and anything before Thanksgiving is still early. Many people on last years' thread asked to have it reopened and they did it no problem. Definitely still apply if you are interested in MSUCOM.

Thank you so much! They gave me an extension today and I will submit today. I completed my master's at a DO school so I completely understand how the DO cycle is longer, most schools havent even started interviewing yet.

You should be fine -- I wouldn't worry about it. Just be sure to submit it promptly once they re-open the application for you! Hope the thesis-writing went well.
Thanks for the advice!! They re-opened it for me today and I will submit today.

Within 30 days. Waitlists/Rejections generally are sent on/very close to the 30-day mark. Acceptances may come before that, may not, but they say 30-day max for all decisions
damn...okay, thanks! very exciting. Crossing my fingers, thanks guys.

In need of advice... I don't have a DO letter and I am currently shadowing a DO physician. Should I attempt to ask him for a letter or should I just use the two MD letters I have? I have 30 days to submit my secondary and I don't want to run into any issues with getting the letter in before I have to submit my secondary. Also, I have almost five years of work experience from medical assistant to scribe but all for MD doctors, does this look bad? I don't want to give off the impression that I am not committed to DO....

In need of advice... I don't have a DO letter and I am currently shadowing a DO physician. Should I attempt to ask him for a letter or should I just use the two MD letters I have? I have 30 days to submit my secondary and I don't want to run into any issues with getting the letter in before I have to submit my secondary. Also, I have almost five years of work experience from medical assistant to scribe but all for MD doctors, does this look bad? I don't want to give off the impression that I am not committed to DO....
I only had an MD letter and I got an II. My scribe experience did expose me to the DO profession however, and I made sure to communicate that effectively on my app.

Unless you ask, the answer is always no!!

I don't think it would hurt to ask the DO you've been shadowing! I was in a similar situation; I shadowed a DO that I met through my undergrad's alumni office for a few weeks and was just very honest when I asked for a letter ("I understand you may not have the full picture of who I am as a student but, if you feel comfortable, I would greatly appreciate a letter of evaluation from you. I would be more than willing to set up a time to do some Q and A or to complete more shadowing if that would help you write a more congruent letter"... yada yada)

That said, your letters are not the only place to show commitment to the DO profession, they are merely a small part of the big picture (and two MD letters is already pretty great)! I wouldn't stress too much, it sounds like you have plenty of experiences that will shine through in other portions of your application! Best of luck to you!

ACCEPTED!! Interviewed August 25th, got the call at 10:23am today, August 29th!

Reactions: 13 users
How detailed/long should the "Summary and Time Spent" in the clinical experience portion of the application be?

How detailed/long should the "Summary and Time Spent" in the clinical experience portion of the application be?
Mine was 2-3 sentences a piece. Separate out shadowing experience scribe experience and some EMT stuff

Why does MSU want our secondary application log-in information on the day of the interview??

maybe to verify it's us at the interview?

but that doesn't seem likely since they told us to bring ID too
I would guess it's to verify that they have your MMI interview evaluations applied to the correct applicant file? Can't say for sure since I don't recall students having to come with it previously, but I can't say for sure.

Last edited:
Right. I would guess it's likely to verify that they have your MMI interview evaluations applied to the correct applicant file.
There is a section on the portal to open only on interview day, so maybe we might have to write an essay or something that day?

There is a section on the portal to open only on interview day, so maybe we might have to write an essay or something that day?
I listened to their webinar and I believe that was mentioned.

I listened to their webinar and I believe that was mentioned.
That's troubling. What could be we asked to write an essay on? Wow. Can anyone who has had an interview this cycle comment on this?

Complete 7/5, II on 8/28!! My interview date is 10/18...is that late ?? Should I try and get an earlier date, if possible?