2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i have an interview on september 8th, any idea when i might hear back from the school whether im accepted or not? THANKS GUYS
 
i have an interview on september 8th, any idea when i might hear back from the school whether im accepted or not? THANKS GUYS

Within 30 days. Waitlists/Rejections generally are sent on/very close to the 30-day mark. Acceptances may come before that, may not, but they say 30-day max for all decisions
 
Good luck to everyone applying!

Current fourth year student here. Even though I likely can't answer many specifics about the preclerkship years, I'm happy to help in any way I can.


Sooo I missed the deadline to submit my supplemental, i have just recently graduated with my masters and was busy writing my research thesis etc and totally missed this one. I have emailed them asking for an extension, but do you think it is even worth still applying since this probably gives my application a red flag? My supplemental was half completed when they blacked everything out. My due date was aproxx 2 weeks ago. 🙁 thanks!
 
Sooo I missed the deadline to submit my supplemental, i have just recently graduated with my masters and was busy writing my research thesis etc and totally missed this one. I have emailed them asking for an extension, but do you think it is even worth still applying since this probably gives my application a red flag? My supplemental was half completed when they blacked everything out. My due date was aproxx 2 weeks ago. 🙁 thanks!
You should be fine -- I wouldn't worry about it. Just be sure to submit it promptly once they re-open the application for you! Hope the thesis-writing went well.
 
Sooo I missed the deadline to submit my supplemental, i have just recently graduated with my masters and was busy writing my research thesis etc and totally missed this one. I have emailed them asking for an extension, but do you think it is even worth still applying since this probably gives my application a red flag? My supplemental was half completed when they blacked everything out. My due date was aproxx 2 weeks ago. 🙁 thanks!

Idk if I would. Ive been waiting WEEKS after submitting my secondary very early July.
 
Sooo I missed the deadline to submit my supplemental, i have just recently graduated with my masters and was busy writing my research thesis etc and totally missed this one. I have emailed them asking for an extension, but do you think it is even worth still applying since this probably gives my application a red flag? My supplemental was half completed when they blacked everything out. My due date was aproxx 2 weeks ago. 🙁 thanks!

Still apply! I did the same thing. Submitted once the application was reopened. Resulted in acceptance.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Idk if I would. Ive been waiting WEEKS after submitting my secondary very early July.
This is bad advice. Email and ask for an extension and submit ASAP. The DO cycle is much longer than MD's, and anything before Thanksgiving is still early. Many people on last years' thread asked to have it reopened and they did it no problem. Definitely still apply if you are interested in MSUCOM.
 
This is bad advice. Email and ask for an extension and submit ASAP. The DO cycle is much longer than MD's, and anything before Thanksgiving is still early. Many people on last years' thread asked to have it reopened and they did it no problem. Definitely still apply if you are interested in MSUCOM.

Thank you so much! They gave me an extension today and I will submit today. I completed my master's at a DO school so I completely understand how the DO cycle is longer, most schools havent even started interviewing yet.
 
In need of advice... I don't have a DO letter and I am currently shadowing a DO physician. Should I attempt to ask him for a letter or should I just use the two MD letters I have? I have 30 days to submit my secondary and I don't want to run into any issues with getting the letter in before I have to submit my secondary. Also, I have almost five years of work experience from medical assistant to scribe but all for MD doctors, does this look bad? I don't want to give off the impression that I am not committed to DO....
 
In need of advice... I don't have a DO letter and I am currently shadowing a DO physician. Should I attempt to ask him for a letter or should I just use the two MD letters I have? I have 30 days to submit my secondary and I don't want to run into any issues with getting the letter in before I have to submit my secondary. Also, I have almost five years of work experience from medical assistant to scribe but all for MD doctors, does this look bad? I don't want to give off the impression that I am not committed to DO....
I only had an MD letter and I got an II. My scribe experience did expose me to the DO profession however, and I made sure to communicate that effectively on my app.
 
In need of advice... I don't have a DO letter and I am currently shadowing a DO physician. Should I attempt to ask him for a letter or should I just use the two MD letters I have? I have 30 days to submit my secondary and I don't want to run into any issues with getting the letter in before I have to submit my secondary. Also, I have almost five years of work experience from medical assistant to scribe but all for MD doctors, does this look bad? I don't want to give off the impression that I am not committed to DO....

Unless you ask, the answer is always no!!

I don't think it would hurt to ask the DO you've been shadowing! I was in a similar situation; I shadowed a DO that I met through my undergrad's alumni office for a few weeks and was just very honest when I asked for a letter ("I understand you may not have the full picture of who I am as a student but, if you feel comfortable, I would greatly appreciate a letter of evaluation from you. I would be more than willing to set up a time to do some Q and A or to complete more shadowing if that would help you write a more congruent letter"... yada yada)

That said, your letters are not the only place to show commitment to the DO profession, they are merely a small part of the big picture (and two MD letters is already pretty great)! I wouldn't stress too much, it sounds like you have plenty of experiences that will shine through in other portions of your application! Best of luck to you!
 
maybe to verify it's us at the interview?

but that doesn't seem likely since they told us to bring ID too
I would guess it's to verify that they have your MMI interview evaluations applied to the correct applicant file? Can't say for sure since I don't recall students having to come with it previously, but I can't say for sure.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete 7/5, II on 8/28!! My interview date is 10/18...is that late ?? Should I try and get an earlier date, if possible?