2017-2018 Oakland University (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would it be inappropriate to discuss research for the second essay question?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
For the first one? Probably. It would be fine for the second if you didn't talk about it in your app.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be inappropriate to discuss research for the second essay question?

They said in previous years on their Twitter page to only write the optional essays if there is something truly special or a non traditional path.

They said in previous years on their Twitter page to only write the optional essays if there is something truly special or a non traditional path.

Maybe it's best if I just leave it blank then. I'm non-traditional, but that part of my app was addressed in my primary.

Members don't see this ad :)
II ! Complete early july, yay!

Reactions: 2 users
Aaand rejected. Best of luck everyone! Seems like a great school! :)

II! Complete 8/2

Last edited:
Also, regarding complete dates and such, this comes up every year and I just want to preemptively say for that OUWB (and most/all other schools) the complete date has almost nothing to do with when you get an II

So if you're post-secondary, and there are other people who submitted around the same time as you who have already received an II or rejection, and you haven't received either - is your application in a different pile, or are they putting off reviewing your application till the next committee meeting?

So if you're post-secondary, and there are other people who submitted around the same time as you who have already received an II or rejection, and you haven't received either - is your application in a different pile, or are they putting off reviewing your application till the next committee meeting?
My understanding is that your file gets reviewed by up to 7 people and each one votes to either approve or deny you. You get rejected if more than one person denies you, which is why some rejections are going out already. The people reviewing your file are physicians, professors, and other professionals who have a lot of other things going on and it can take a while for your app to get around to all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that your file gets reviewed by up to 7 people and each one votes to either approve or deny you. You get rejected if more than one person denies you, which is why some rejections are going out already. The people reviewing your file are physicians, professors, and other professionals who have a lot of things going on and it can take a while for your app to get around to all of them.
This makes a lot of sense. Similarly, is there a threshold of "yes'" that you have to pass to be sent an II, does more than one yes suffice or do you need >2?

Are the IIs/rejections coming through the portal or via email?

Edit: oops! Wrong Medical School. Oakland doesn't require CASPER.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just got my first II here!!! :D:D

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected post secondary...and then invited to learn more about the school via webinar:thinking::boom::wtf:

sorry to hear that... mind saying when were you complete and when/how did you get this notification ?

I was completely 8/1. Rejection came via email with the title "Application Response"
I'm just mad I spent money on this secondary, when it appears my app was going to be thrown in the garbage anyway.

I was completely 8/1. Rejection came via email with the title "Application Response"
I'm just mad I spent money on this secondary, when it appears my app was going to be thrown in the garbage anyway.
So confusing.. I've been complete since 7/18... I don't understand the process behind deciding who to reject, interview, or just never email at all lol....

So confusing.. I've been complete since 7/18... I don't understand the process behind deciding who to reject, interview, or just never email at all lol....
I have been complete since the 8th. Lizzy M 71.5

I have heard nothing

I have been complete since the 8th. Lizzy M 71.5

I have heard nothing
yeah I was also complete 7/26 and haven't heard anything either. I guess silence is still better than rejection. hopefully they send out more IIs in the next week or so...

Hello everyone! Does anyone want to split the cab/Lyft/Uber fare to and from the airport? Interview date: 9/29. Please PM me! Thanks!

Just want to reiterate quickly for those who may be new to the thread...at pretty much every school, your complete date has almost nothing to do with when you get an II. Being complete in July doesn't mean you'll get an II in August. The vast majority of applicants are complete over the summer and the adcom has thousands of applications to go through. There are dozens of factors completely unrelated to the strength of your application that affect when it gets reviewed. I was complete in June in my application cycles and got IIs as late as March. My OUWB II came over the holidays. So if you were complete early and don't have an II yet, it doesn't mean anything bad!
Bless you

For listing secondary course work, how did you guys do it? Just sooner to later? I wanted to input my most recent bio classes (which are also the ones I did best in- i.e. sophomore-senior year). I'm aware they still see everything, but I of course want to list/highlight where I performed best. What do you guys recommend? :)

Is anyone having trouble logging into the portal?

II just now!! Can't believe this! First MD interview, scheduled for Oct 6.
My stats aren't competitive at all (3.45 sGPA/3.6 cGPA, 504 MCAT retake from 492). Beyond thrilled with their holistic review!
complete: Jul 12.

Reactions: 16 users
My stats aren't competitive at all (3.45 sGPA/3.6 cGPA, 504 MCAT retake from 492). Beyond thrilled with their holistic review!

Hey that's my lucky day! congrats !! Hopefully it'll bring you luck ;)

Hey that's my lucky day! congrats !! Hopefully it'll bring you luck ;)
Thank you good sir/mam! I need all the luck and appreciate you lending me some of yours ;) good luck to you as well this cycle!!

That's awesome, congrats!

I have an interview elsewhere that same day. Twins!

Does OUWB send out interview invites in batches or onsie/twosies?

Reactions: 1 users
Those who got interviews, does your communication status in the secondary app have an email discussing the interview invite?

I was verified 8/14, no secondary :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, congrats! are you instate or URM?

Hey, congrats! are you instate or URM?
Thanks! Not Instate or URM. Did talk about being a first gen college student. I'm also non-trad with tons of clinical research/shadowing experiences.

Thanks! Not Instate or URM. Did talk about being a first gen college student. I'm also non-trad with tons of clinical research/shadowing experiences.
Awesome, then there is some hope! Congrats and good luck in the interview I hope you crush it and get another win for us non trads.