2017-2018 Quinnipiac University (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a) If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student, how will you be spending/intend to spend your time during your application year? (Limit 250 Words)

All applicants must complete questions 1 and 2. From the remaining five questions, select three additional questions and respond. Your responses to each questions cannot exceed 150 words. Type directly in the field or prepare your response with a word processing program and cut and paste it into fields.

1. What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?

2. Please tell us something about yourself that is not captured in your application.

(choose three out of the next five)

3. Discuss a personal role model (someone you know; not a historical or public figure). What attributes does this person possess that you admire and strive to emulate?

4. Which extracurricular activity is most important to you and why?

5. What non-academic advice would you give to your younger self?

6. Detail something about yourself (quality or non-academic accomplishment) that makes you extremely proud.

7. Describe your most humbling non-academic experience, and how that experience will affect your interactions with your peers and patients.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey 2017 applicants! I will be an incoming M1 at Netter in August. If you have any questions about the school, the interview day, or just general questions about the application process, feel free to PM me. Best of luck everyone!

Hey 2017 applicants! I will be an incoming M1 at Netter in August. If you have any questions about the school, the interview day, or just general questions about the application process, feel free to PM me. Best of luck everyone!

Was there something in particular that drew you to this school? And what about the interview day confirmed that for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was there something in particular that drew you to this school? And what about the interview day confirmed that for you?
Of all my interviews, I felt that I "clicked" best with Netter. Because it is so new and small (about 90ish students/class), the faculty really devote their time to educating each student. I lacked that "personalized" attention having gone to a relatively large undergrad institution. Furthermore, every single person I met during interview day and second look was just so friendly and welcoming, especially the Dean of Admissions, Dean Yeckel. I truly felt that sense of collaboration and teamwork that I think is super important in medical school. The proximity to Yale is fantastic for research and networking opportunities. One other cool thing Netter does is something called the MeSH program in which you are assigned to a doctor (usually someone who matches your interests) and you visit the doctor's office once a week and basically see patients with him/her. This early clinical exposure is attractive because it puts the basic sciences in context. Overall I was choosing between SUNY Buffalo and Netter, and I ended up choosing Netter for the smaller class size, location, and the amazing people there. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I got an unexpected acceptance to Hofstra and will be attending. My comments about Netter still stand, however. It is a great school with some amazing opportunities. Good luck!

I got an unexpected acceptance to Hofstra and will be attending. My comments about Netter still stand, however. It is a great school with some amazing opportunities. Good luck!

Congratulations man! That's wonderful

Just a matriculating student checking in so that I can hopefully answer some questions you applicants may have about the process/school!

Rising M2 here, available to answer questions about the application process, Netter, the first year of med school, etc. Best of luck!

Rising M2 here, available to answer questions about the application process, Netter, the first year of med school, etc. Best of luck!

Hey thanks for taking some time to answer questions!
1. Are you from the northeast area or is attending Netter a somewhat drastic change of scenery?
2. How's campus life and the surrounding area?
3. Newer medical schools generally allow for more flexibility in class scheduling and courses. Do you find this to be the case at Netter, and if so, how have you been able to personalize your med school plan?

Piggybacking off the above comment, does Netter show a preference for Northeastern applicants?

Hey thanks for taking some time to answer questions!
1. Are you from the northeast area or is attending Netter a somewhat drastic change of scenery?
2. How's campus life and the surrounding area?
3. Newer medical schools generally allow for more flexibility in class scheduling and courses. Do you find this to be the case at Netter, and if so, how have you been able to personalize your med school plan?

Piggybacking off the above comment, does Netter show a preference for Northeastern applicants?

I was born and raised in California, so New England weather was definitely a change, but seasons are pretty fun. I don't think Netter has a preference for northeastern applicants (1/4 of my class was from California), but because the school is both private and newer, I assume that applicants and matriculants are more likely to be from around the area. A good portion of each class is definitely from New England.

While Quinnipiac as a whole is definitely a commuter school, med students have a lot to do in terms of campus activities, clubs and interest groups, and off-campus events. Especially since we're a newer school, students here show a lot of initiative to form new groups and start new things. As for the surrounding area, there's a lot to do in New Haven and a good number of my classmates live there. Both New York and Boston are accessible by car or train as well.

Every med student in the same year has the same schedule of lectures and small-group sessions, although lectures are recorded and not mandatory. Variation in the first-year schedule generally occurs in two places: MeSH and selective courses. MeSH is on either Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday afternoons depending on your preceptor's schedule, and you go to your MeSH preceptor's clinic for that one afternoon each week. In the spring semester of your first year, you're required to take an elective course (which we call a "selective") in any of Quinnipiac's schools, generally to help you with your capstone project. This can be anything from a School of Medicine course about conducting clinical trials to a School of Law course about medical ethics or a School of Communications course about documentary production. These courses are generally in the afternoon or evening, though many are online.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excited to apply here! Thanks for taking the time to answer questions :)

Super excited for this one since I've heard it's really friendly towards non-trads! Anyone know what their screening process is for secondaries?

Here are this year's prompts @Lucca @gyngyn @WedgeDawg

a) If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student, how will you be spending/intend to spend your time during your application year? (Limit 250 Words)

All applicants must complete questions 1 and 2. From the remaining five questions, select three additional questions and respond. Your responses to each questions cannot exceed 150 words. Type directly in the field or prepare your response with a word processing program and cut and paste it into fields.

1. What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?

2. Please tell us something about yourself that is not captured in your application.

(choose three out of the next five)

3. Discuss a personal role model (someone you know; not a historical or public figure). What attributes does this person possess that you admire and strive to emulate?

4. Which extracurricular activity is most important to you and why?

5. What non-academic advice would you give to your younger self?

6. Detail something about yourself (quality or non-academic accomplishment) that makes you extremely proud.

7. Describe your most humbling non-academic experience, and how that experience will affect your interactions with your peers and patients.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received! Looking forward to applying here. Has anybody else's LORs not been received by them?

I haven't received a secondary (yet?) but those prompts are awesome. Kudos for the originality Quinnipac!

Is anyone having trouble with saving certain pages on this secondary? For some I've filled out the fields but the form says it is incomplete.

Is anyone having trouble with saving certain pages on this secondary? For some I've filled out the fields but the form says it is incomplete.

It says error and required section for "Please select the area(s) of medicine you are considering working in at the end of your training?" even though I selected multiple fields.

Pretty heavy secondary. Hoping they show some in-state love.

Pretty heavy secondary. Hoping they show some in-state love.
I wouldn't say they have a preference for IS or OOS, but there were quite a few students from CT during my second look.

Just wondering what you guys are saying for the second essay about something not mentioned in the primary. I am from the east coast, and I have family that lives in Connecticut. However, currently, I live in Missouri. Is that something worth addressing?

What exactly does a "humbling experience" mean? Is it asking a time we failed?

Yes, it could be. I see it also as a time when you learned something about yourself and your place within a greater context (of the world, friends, community, etc.).

Something that put things into perspective for you. Maybe you went to a third world country and essentially "checked your privilege" or overestimated your worth/abilities during an experience.

What exactly does a "humbling experience" mean?
Yes, it could be. I see it also as a time when you learned something about yourself and your place within a greater context (of the world, friends, community, etc.).
Or could I write about a volunteer experience that humbled me?

Or could I write about a volunteer experience that humbled me?

Definitely. I was going to do the same, but I didn't think my answer was super strong. I'm electing to leave that one blank and answer a different question where I can expand a little more.

Just wondering what you guys are saying for the second essay about something not mentioned in the primary. I am from the east coast, and I have family that lives in Connecticut. However, currently, I live in Missouri. Is that something worth addressing?

I'm not sure if this directly answers what you're asking, but as a current student I wanted to put in my two cents about this secondary question. In my experience, Netter admissions is really big on accepting students who are more than just their goal of becoming a doctor, and who have varied interests and goals that aren't all related to medicine. Your primary applications are probably tailored quite specifically to medical school admissions, and so I think this question is giving admissions an opportunity to see the non-premed side of you. Maybe you had a significant experience or did a particular activity that shaped who you are as a person but won't directly affect how good of a medical student or doctor you are. The way you talk about your experiences, med-related or not, says a lot about both the kind of person you are and the kind of doctor you might become, and to me this is what Netter admissions is trying to draw out of you. Hope that helps!

I'm not sure if this directly answers what you're asking, but as a current student I wanted to put in my two cents about this secondary question. In my experience, Netter admissions is really big on accepting students who are more than just their goal of becoming a doctor, and who have varied interests and goals that aren't all related to medicine. Your primary applications are probably tailored quite specifically to medical school admissions, and so I think this question is giving admissions an opportunity to see the non-premed side of you. Maybe you had a significant experience or did a particular activity that shaped who you are as a person but won't directly affect how good of a medical student or doctor you are. The way you talk about your experiences, med-related or not, says a lot about both the kind of person you are and the kind of doctor you might become, and to me this is what Netter admissions is trying to draw out of you. Hope that helps!
This is helpful thank you! I did not discuss one of my hobbies on my primary, and that is my guitar playing. I am a pretty normal guy, and if you looked at me, you wouldn't be able to tell that I am a huge metal head (I don't listen to the super sadistic - morbid stuff). More specifically, I love metalcore, and I learned how to play it on the guitar in school. As metal is a widely frowned upon genre of music I was afraid to discuss it on my application. However, I think that it is one of the most open forms of music (just my opinion . . . doesn't mean that it is). The bands say things how they are, and I like that. Is this along the lines that you were talking?

Anyone having issues with the LOR page? I keep pressing save/continue but on the final page it still shows with a red question mark :confused:

Do we need to have letters already submitted through AMCAS first, and then click checkboxes on the secondary or something?

Anyone having issues with the LOR page? I keep pressing save/continue but on the final page it still shows with a red question mark :confused:

Do we need to have letters already submitted through AMCAS first, and then click checkboxes on the secondary or something?
You need to click on the checkboxes and then save that page

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

You need to click on the checkboxes and then save that page

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Ah, they weren't there before because I usually assign letters after I submit my secondary

Just a PSA - you won't be able to complete the LOR section until you assign letters on AMCAS. They don't necessarily need to be received, but the checkboxes for the ones you do assign will appear on the secondary one you indicate it on AMCAS.

Ah, they weren't there before because I usually assign letters after I submit my secondary

Just a PSA - you won't be able to complete the LOR section until you assign letters on AMCAS. They don't necessarily need to be received, but the checkboxes for the ones you do assign will appear on the secondary one you indicate it on AMCAS.

My LOR is assigned to this school but no checkbox appears for me... any suggestions... should I email them?

"2. Please tell us something about yourself that is not captured in your application."

Anyone running into the problem of having already showcased everything interesting and/or important to you in your primary, making this question difficult to answer? I've already touched on diversity and hobbies in my primary. What are you all writing for this?

"2. Please tell us something about yourself that is not captured in your application."

Anyone running into the problem of having already showcased everything interesting and/or important to you in your primary, making this question difficult to answer? I've already touched on diversity and hobbies in my primary. What are you all writing for this?

You could really go anywhere with this. For example, talk about a challenging experience and how you grew from it.

Personally, I just used my cookie cutter diversity prompt. The vast majority of schools I applied to asked about diversity in their secondaries though, so that it might just be worth your effort to start banging one out for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Read what Mazarine wrote!