2017-2018 Quinnipiac University (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II!!!!!! Super excited :) Where do people normally fly into, Hartford?

You could, but depending on where you're coming from, Logan or JFK may be cheaper.

Members don't see this ad.

You could, but depending on where you're coming from, Logan or JFK may be cheaper.

Hoping to run into that problem lol seems like everyone was complete ~1 week before me so hopefully I hear some similar news in the near future!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
How many interviewees are typically accepted? (percentage wise)

Members don't see this ad :)
How many interviewees are typically accepted? (percentage wise)

Overall, they interview ~600/~7600 people. Out of those ~600, they matriculate 90. So they probably accept about 130-150/~600 interviewees

Edit: too lazy to figure the percentages from that

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hey 2017 applicants! I will be an incoming M1 at Netter in August. If you have any questions about the school, the interview day, or just general questions about the application process, feel free to PM me. Best of luck everyone!
I just set an interview on August 18th! (First schoo Did you find that Netter had any challenging questions that tripped you up during the interview?
Just a matriculating student checking in so that I can hopefully answer some questions you applicants may have about the process/school!

I just set an interview on August 18th! (First school to hear back from, and one of my top programs :))
Did you find that Netter had any challenging questions that tripped you up during the interview?

Last edited:
I just set an interview on August 18th! (First school to hear back from, and one of my top programs :)
Did you find that Netter had any challenging questions that tripped you up during the interview?
If you got an interview, they already believe you can handle the curriculum, so they just want to get to know you as a person (and Netter sincerely means it). From personal experience and what my co-interviewees said, most of the interviews were simple "get to know you" conversations. They start with some significant element from your application (usually cool or unique experience from your application, so know it well) and then it just expands from there. Some people have mentioned getting some generic interview questions (such as "why do you want to be a doctor?" - which you should prep for regardless) but none of them seemed to be way out of left field.

Also I believe if you interview early, you get two staff members to interview you instead of a professor/staff member and student since the students aren't up and running yet.

Oh, and Dr. Yeckel will catch you off guard (not in a bad or incriminating way, just good wow surprising kind of way) :)

Best of luck!

Reactions: 6 users
I just set an interview on August 18th! (First schoo Did you find that Netter had any challenging questions that tripped you up during the interview?

I just set an interview on August 18th! (First school to hear back from, and one of my top programs :)
It was one of my best interviews to be honest. Very casual and conversational and they don't try to throw you off. And Dean Yeckel is a simply awesome!

Reactions: 3 users
Oh, and Dr. Yeckel will catch you off guard (not in a bad or incriminating way, just good wow surprising kind of way) :)

Just to echo this sentiment-- you will be very surprised(good surprise) when you meet Dr.Yeckel!

The entire staff is very warm and friendly

II!!!!!! Super excited :) Where do people normally fly into, Hartford?

Try Tweed Airport in New Haven, CT. It might be closer for you. My friend came through Tweed when she interviewed at Yale last year and it worked out well. Other than that, I think Bradley Int. Airport in Hartford, CT is your best bet. JFK would be way too far (2 hours away)

Hi, Connecticutian here. I'd recommend flying into LGA/JFK and taking Metro North to New Haven if possible! Another even better option is HPN (White Plains Airport). Bradley is fine, but doesn't really have public transport access like NYC does. Congrats on the II! I just submitted Quinnipiac today. It would be a nice, lengthy 15 minute drive for me :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, Connecticutian here. I'd recommend flying into LGA/JFK and taking Metro North to New Haven if possible! Another even better option is HPN (White Plains Airport). Bradley is fine, but doesn't really have public transport access like NYC does. Congrats on the II! I just submitted Quinnipiac today. It would be a nice, lengthy 15 minute drive for me :)

holy ****..59 primaries? 38 secondaries? Dude you are insane. Which II have you gotten if you dont me asking?

And taking JFK and metro north then going to QU with a taxi or something is going to be so costly. Might as well do Bradley and grab a taxi over to North Haven. Tweed might actually have cheaper flights which is ideal to come through if going to QU for an interview.

holy ****..59 primaries? 38 secondaries? Dude you are insane. Which II have you gotten if you dont me asking?

And taking JFK and metro north then going to QU with a taxi or something is going to be so costly. Might as well do Bradley and grab a taxi over to North Haven. Tweed might actually have cheaper flights which is ideal to come through if going to QU for an interview.

A lot of times BDL can be significantly more expensive, but you'll have to search around. I'd look into HPN too, it actually might be closer than BDL. And yeah, I'm taking "applying broadly" to a whole new level hahaha. I have too much time on my hands and I qualified for FAP (low-income family), so it's extremely worth it for me. Immigrant parents always tell you to take advantage of EVERY opportunity America offers you, so ya gotta do it. II's so far are at WVUSOM and University of Nebraska, where I did research for a summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks!! i might just end up doing that, I have friends in NYC i could stay with to make up for hotel costs, i don't think train would be too much.

thanks!! i might just end up doing that, I have friends in NYC i could stay with to make up for hotel costs, i don't think train would be too much.

Does QU offer staying with one of their med students? I got II at Tulane and they offer that. I think that's so cool and part of the experience....

Oh train from Grand Central in NY to Union station in New Haven costs 15-16 dollars one way and you'll have to take a taxi over to the North Haven Quinnipiac campus. It's going to be around 15 mins of a ride -- looking at about add't 20 dollars

Does QU offer staying with one of their med students? I got II at Tulane and they offer that. I think that's so cool and part of the experience....

Oh train from Grand Central in NY to Union station in New Haven costs 15-16 dollars one way and you'll have to take a taxi over to the North Haven Quinnipiac campus. It's going to be around 15 mins of a ride -- looking at about add't 20 dollars

We don't do student hosts, unfortunately. We students are more than happy to answer questions or give you tips, though!

We don't do student hosts, unfortunately. We students are more than happy to answer questions or give you tips, though!

Hey Mazarine. Thanks for clarifying.

One question - what are some pros and cons of QU? Also, if you had other interviews, why did you choose Qu over them?

A lot of times BDL can be significantly more expensive, but you'll have to search around. I'd look into HPN too, it actually might be closer than BDL. And yeah, I'm taking "applying broadly" to a whole new level hahaha. I have too much time on my hands and I qualified for FAP (low-income family), so it's extremely worth it for me. Immigrant parents always tell you to take advantage of EVERY opportunity America offers you, so ya gotta do it. II's so far are at WVUSOM and University of Nebraska, where I did research for a summer.

Awesome! I applied to 33 MD and 10 DOs...also FAP applicant. Applying broadly like you lmao. good for you though. goodluck!youll do great

I originally applied to 20, then got spooked and added 11 more. I figure if I don't get in to 31, I wouldn't get in to 164.

Holy smokes someone actually beat me out on primaries.
Not by much ;) Best of luck to you! Perhaps we will cross paths along the way!

Awesome! I applied to 33 MD and 10 DOs...also FAP applicant. Applying broadly like you lmao. good for you though. goodluck!youll do great

Hahaha thank ya! Same to you, my friend!
I originally applied to 20, then got spooked and added 11 more. I figure if I don't get in to 31, I wouldn't get in to 164.

Hahaha, ya know, for me it was more of a financial aid thing too. The more schools I apply to, the more options I have (if accepted to multiple schools) in terms of finances, which (as a FAP applicant) are pretty guiding.

Hey Mazarine. Thanks for clarifying.

One question - what are some pros and cons of QU? Also, if you had other interviews, why did you choose Qu over them?

The biggest pro for me is how friendly and supportive everyone is here, and by everyone, I mean your fellow students, upperclassmen, faculty, staff... everyone! Students help each other out and lift each other up, even during exam time (albeit to a more limited degree, haha, but more because we ourselves are studying hard and not because we don't want to help). The faculty and staff work hard to address your needs, and your feedback is truly taken seriously even if not all of it is implemented.

You'd think that being a newer school would be a con, but to be honest, it's been elements of both. Netter is surprisingly well-established, despite the fact that we only just graduated our charter class. However, our curriculum is constantly changing as each class's feedback affects the next class's curriculum. We had several things added, removed, or moved around in our first year that the previous class didn't have in their first year, and the same will be true for the incoming class. This is generally a good thing (the curriculum improves each year), but it does mean that you have to be flexible and adaptable to change. Not all of the advice we got from the class above us was actually useful, and you have to be okay with figuring things out as you go. Thankfully, you have the rest of your class figuring it out along with you!

II just now. So excited to visit this part of the US for the first time! Any advice from current students on hotels to stay near the school would be appreciated!

Congrats!!! When were you complete?

II just now. So excited to visit this part of the US for the first time! Any advice from current students on hotels to stay near the school would be appreciated!
Congratulations!

Most people stay at the Best Western down the road on route 5 and I believe they have a shuttle to take you from the hotel to the school.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations!

Most people stay at the Best Western down the road on route 5 and I believe they have a shuttle to take you from the hotel to the school.
thank you! Can you tell me about research opportunities available for students on campus? Also, I understand that the school places emphasis on training primary care physicians. Are students discouraged from pursuing residencies in specialties?

thank you! Can you tell me about research opportunities available for students on campus? Also, I understand that the school places emphasis on 8training primary care physicians. Are students discouraged from pursuing residencies in specialties?

Hopefully you can bet more details from current students on here, but from what I've heard at second look and learned from talking to M3s while there is no direct research at Netter they are very good about helping you find research positions through hospitals or Yale's or UConn's medical schools so if you are interested in pursuing research you will definitely have the opportunity to do so. Students need to complete a "capstone project" and many students interested in research end up making that their project which works out well.

Regarding primary care they in no way discourage pursuing other specialties. Their goal is more to expose you to primary care and its importance through the curriculum and MeSH program (where students spend 1 afternoon a week the first two years with a primary care provider in the area).

Hopefully you can bet more details from current students on here, but from what I've heard at second look and learned from talking to M3s while there is no direct research at Netter they are very good about helping you find research positions through hospitals or Yale's or UConn's medical schools so if you are interested in pursuing research you will definitely have the opportunity to do so. Students need to complete a "capstone project" and many students interested in research end up making that their project which works out well.

Regarding primary care they in no way discourage pursuing other specialties. Their goal is more to expose you to primary care and its importance through the curriculum and MeSH program (where students spend 1 afternoon a week the first two years with a primary care provider in the area).
Thank you for the information. Seems like a great program. Can you tell me whether the interview is open file or closed file? I am having difficulty finding information about the interview format.

Thank you for the information. Seems like a great program. Can you tell me whether the interview is open file or closed file? I am having difficulty finding information about the interview format.
It's open file. Have fun with it-- it was one of my least stressful interviews-- they really are just trying to get to know you.

II about an hour ago! LizzyM ~75, complete 7/12. My first one!

Did people get a change in status prior to their II? Mine has been at "your application is ready" for awhile. Thanks!

Anyone know what their accept rate is after an interview?

Anybody else interviewing Aug 18? I'll be flying into JFK the day before. If anyone wants to meet up and split the fares to New Haven just shoot me a message.

Got an interview invite yesterday! 8/21. Anyone know how long it takes to hear back after the interview?

II today!!! So thankful!!! Complete 7/15

thank you! Can you tell me about research opportunities available for students on campus? Also, I understand that the school places emphasis on training primary care physicians. Are students discouraged from pursuing residencies in specialties?

doctorleospaceman did a good job of responding to your questions, but to your second question, I'd like to point to our charter class as an example of how Netter doesn't discourage its students from pursuing whatever specialty they are interested in. While plenty of people in the charter class matched into primary care specialties such as family medicine, we had lots of people match in emergency medicine and general surgery, along with a wide variety of smaller specialties. (I'm not sure if the match list is published anywhere, but you can get a sense of the success of our charter class's match from this news article.)

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT/research can offset my gpa, but I know the quinn is more primary care oriented

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT/research can offset my gpa, but I know the quinn is more primary care oriented
You have similar stats and research experience to me- I say go for it! I got an II :)

doctorleospaceman did a good job of responding to your questions, but to your second question, I'd like to point to our charter class as an example of how Netter doesn't discourage its students from pursuing whatever specialty they are interested in. While plenty of people in the charter class matched into primary care specialties such as family medicine, we had lots of people match in emergency medicine and general surgery, along with a wide variety of smaller specialties. (I'm not sure if the match list is published anywhere, but you can get a sense of the success of our charter class's match from this news article.)
Thanks for that. :) Cannot wait to see the campus. After doing some research, this program has become one of my top choices. Do you guys have any student-led free clinics?

Thanks for that. :) Cannot wait to see the campus. After doing some research, this program has become one of my top choices. Do you guys have any student-led free clinics?

We do, actually! The Bobcat Community Clinic in Bridgeport was founded by our charter class in their first year. We do monthly screening clinics and patient education events, and we're working on expanding into acute care services, among other exciting developments. Here's the website!

Are you supposed to get an application complete email from Netter? My status says 'your application is ready' but no email. Thanks!

Tickets booked. Flying in from Boise to Hartford 7/20. Frank Netter seems like a really cool place. Excited.

Last edited: