2017-2018 Quinnipiac University (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just noticed this, but the name of school is spelled incorrectly in the thread title, lol. @Lucca

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My LOR is assigned to this school but no checkbox appears for me... any suggestions... should I email them?

This same problem is happening for me too.... I assigned all of the letters on AMCAS last night and still no checkboxes appear for me today.. Did you figure it out?

Reactions: 1 user
You need to click on the checkboxes and then save that page

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I assigned all of my letters on AMCAS last night but the checkboxes still are not appearing today for me on the secondary... any suggestions?

Here are this year's prompts @Lucca @gyngyn @WedgeDawg

a) If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student, how will you be spending/intend to spend your time during your application year? (Limit 250 Words)

All applicants must complete questions 1 and 2. From the remaining five questions, select three additional questions and respond. Your responses to each questions cannot exceed 150 words. Type directly in the field or prepare your response with a word processing program and cut and paste it into fields.

1. What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?

2. Please tell us something about yourself that is not captured in your application.

(choose three out of the next five)

3. Discuss a personal role model (someone you know; not a historical or public figure). What attributes does this person possess that you admire and strive to emulate?

4. Which extracurricular activity is most important to you and why?

5. What non-academic advice would you give to your younger self?

6. Detail something about yourself (quality or non-academic accomplishment) that makes you extremely proud.

7. Describe your most humbling non-academic experience, and how that experience will affect your interactions with your peers and patients.

Just to confirm, mandatory questions 1. and 2. are 150 words as well, right?

This same problem is happening for me too.... I assigned all of the letters on AMCAS last night and still no checkboxes appear for me today.. Did you figure it out?
It takes more than a day. Usually takes a few for the systems to update.

Still no secondary :( do they screen heavily?

Rising M2 here, available to answer questions about the application process, Netter, the first year of med school, etc. Best of luck!

For the second question on the secondary -- please tell us something about yourself that is not captured in your application -- do you think it would be fine to mention grades, MCAT, etc performances and how we improved? OR should I mention something other than academics....?

mazarine doesn't have to be the only one to answer -- others can answer too. Just trying to get a little sense of the direction i should go in....

Members don't see this ad :)
haha true. do you know of any other schools like this? should i assign other letters in advance?
I had an easy go of things in this regard cause I only have one letter packet that goes everywhere. So as soon as I selected by schools they were sent the letter/info. I would assign letters to schools if you know there requirements.

For the second question on the secondary -- please tell us something about yourself that is not captured in your application -- do you think it would be fine to mention grades, MCAT, etc performances and how we improved? OR should I mention something other than academics....?

mazarine doesn't have to be the only one to answer -- others can answer too. Just trying to get a little sense of the direction i should go in....
I suggested to a few people to use this question to highlight some interesting hobby or something they are passionate about (but not mentioned in the primary). Think of it as a spin on the diversity prompt.

Unless there's some very very very very significant academic discrepency then keep it non-academic.
I second @kbac13 's recommendation to use it to describe a hobby or passion which doesn't need to be tied to medicine.

Last edited:
Dang. All this secondary talk makes me sick. Really want to go here. Verified first day. I guess I have nothing to say except give me the axe or secondary already.

Dang. All this secondary talk makes me sick. Really want to go here. Verified first day. I guess I have nothing to say except give me the axe or secondary already.
My man, we're less than 2 weeks into a process that lasts upwards of 9 months. Plenty of us haven't gotten one yet. Patience :)

Reactions: 1 users
This is the beginning of one of the most grueling processes. You have to stay positive and patient or else you'll drive yourself crazy.

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary submitted! Netter is like 10 mins down the road from me so very excited about this one.

Question about LoR: when I applied 3 weeks ago, prior to being verified, I selected all my applicable letters for QU at that time. But my status is stating none are received. Is this just a delay since I was verified this AM or do I need to go into AMCAS and do something?

Is writing about a research poster considered an "academic accomplishment"? It's something I'm proud of and would write about for prompt 6 but not if they consider that "academic"

Secondary submitted! Netter is like 10 mins down the road from me so very excited about this one.

Question about LoR: when I applied 3 weeks ago, prior to being verified, I selected all my applicable letters for QU at that time. But my status is stating none are received. Is this just a delay since I was verified this AM or do I need to go into AMCAS and do something?
LoRs are checked seperately from their end and might take a while to update (since AMCAS doesnt verify them per se) but if you see nothing in a week or two you can always give them a call. Interviews dont start until mid August so don't sweat!

Is writing about a research poster considered an "academic accomplishment"? It's something I'm proud of and would write about for prompt 6 but not if they consider that "academic"

I'd say it's still on the academic side. They want to learn something not school/medicine based about you through that question. They should already know about your research from your primary app!

Last edited:
I agree with @doctorleospaceman above. I would talk about something different/unique about yourself. For example, I talked about computer-aided design (3D-modeling) that I used to do and the different houses/buildings I used to design in my free time. During the interview day, you will sit with Dean Yeckel and he will go around the room and ask you questions about your application and my experience with CAD came up. So be creative and think outside the box with this prompt!

Stalking this thread a bit b/c I did undergrad at Quinnipiac. Not applying to Netter tho good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Stalking this thread a bit b/c I did undergrad at Quinnipiac. Not applying to Netter tho good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
any reason why? seems to me that institutions like their own.

any reason why? seems to me that institutions like their own.
A couple years ago, I went to a pre-med panel of some of the Netter admissions committee peeps and the dean and they were pretty adamnet they wouldn't have a preference for quinnipiac students during applications. Also, the school is so nice don't get me wrong, I was there a lot for some of my classes, I just needed a change of scenery from Connecticut :)

A couple years ago, I went to a pre-med panel of some of the Netter admissions committee peeps and the dean and they were pretty adamnet they wouldn't have a preference for quinnipiac students during applications. Also, the school is so nice don't get me wrong, I was there a lot for some of my classes, I just needed a change of scenery from Connecticut :)

Fair, very fair. I'm all in favor of doing as much as you can to acquire different life experiences but I also love love love the city of my undergraduate institution. Applying all over and we'll see what happens.

Being an alumni wont guarantee an interview but it'd be viewed in a positive light on an application! There are also scholarships exlusively for Quinnipiac alumni.

Fair, very fair. I'm all in favor of doing as much as you can to acquire different life experiences but I also love love love the city of my undergraduate institution. Applying all over and we'll see what happens.
Good luck :D

There are also scholarships exlusively for Quinnipiac alumni.

Where can I find more info on this?

***disregard, found it on the website. Does this only apply to undergrad? I did my masters PA program there.

Last edited:
Where can I find more info on this?

***disregard, found it on the website. Does this only apply to undergrad? I did my masters PA program there.

Per the site:
Purpose: To support a medical student who received a bachelor's degree from Quinnipiac University and was involved in significant extracurricular, leadership or service during his or her undergraduate years.
Scholarship requirements: To apply for this scholarship, applicants must:

• Be accepted and matriculate to the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine
  • Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Have earned a bachelor’s degree from Quinnipiac University

For those interested, the link to scholarships available is here

Anyone else having trouble with the demographics or courses page?

Next to the "Please select the area(s) of medicine you are considering working in at the end of your training?" it says required even though I have many boxes checked.

For the courses page I have a course for each requirement but it still says incomplete.

Next to the "Please select the area(s) of medicine you are considering working in at the end of your training?" it says required even though I have many boxes checked.

For the courses page I have a course for each requirement but it still says incomplete.

3 or less for demographics

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For the course page, you have to put at least two course, because it said one year of each of the requirement => 2 courses at minimum. I'm not sure about the demographic

Anyone having trouble submitting the application fee payment? My card keeps getting declined even after checking my balance?

hi all, I have a dreaded "non-academic activity" question...

I wanted to write about how hard I worked to make a study abroad trip during college a reality and how that trip (and working towards it) changed and influenced me. My family is relatively poor and we never traveled (at least, not very far) when I was growing up so that's why the trip was huge for me.

I know this involves an academic program, but since I'm focusing on aspects about it besides the academics itself, would this count as a "non-academic" accomplishment?

I wanted to write about how hard I worked to make a study abroad trip during college a reality and how that trip (and working towards it) changed and influenced me. My family is relatively poor and we never traveled (at least, not very far) when I was growing up so that's why the trip was huge for me.

I know this involves an academic program, but since I'm focusing on aspects about it besides the academics itself, would this count as a "non-academic" accomplishment?

I feel like it definitely could if you just focus the writing more on the work you did to save up for the trip rather than it justifying studying abroad!

I think it might be better to talk about the challenges you faced while abroad and traveling and how you are proud of your ability to adapt and persevere. Make it more personable rather than saying you are proud of traveling. Everyone travels so you want to find the unique aspect of your experience. Goodluck

Could be your bank if you're out of state, call them to make sure it's not an anti-fraud thing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm out of country and it turns out Quinnipiac's server is probably super secure and noticed I wasn't domestic, so they were preventing me from making the transaction. I had my dad put in the bank info for me stateside and it went through! Thanks for the help!!

Thanks for the help! You're all amazing :) Just submitted yesterday, and good luck to everyone!

Submitting today, hopefully I'm not too far behind the curve at this point!

II!!!!!! Super excited :) Where do people normally fly into, Hartford?

Reactions: 8 users