2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Listed as Complete for UT, still APPL for CO. Both submitted same time.

Members don't see this ad.

Rotation sites we have been told of so far include ogden, moab, provo, price, salt lake area, and lots more to come Dr. Park (the Dean) is working hard on establishing these sites. There are also a few third year students already rotating in Utah from the CO campus. Nice thing is we can rotate anywhere we want as long as we are willing to set them up. Also all CO rotation sites are open to Utah Students and vice versa with preference given utah to Utah CO to CO. most of us will have to move for rotations. I am planning on moving just because preference is given to people with kids in school or family in St George to stay and I don't have either of those.

I will have a school aged child and spouse working in the area. I'm wondering how heavily you could rely on the preference they give. Are there people with kids that still end up moving because of number of spots or something?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

i didn't apply here but do you think it'll be too late to submit my primary here now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up: i got an interview offer on the portal, but never got an email. So make sure ya'll are checking that thing.

Reactions: 1 user
For Utah or Colorado?
Sorry, Utah. It's all the same portal though (you probably know that). I'm excited to check out a new corner of utah. I love the SLC area, Zion, and everywhere else i've been. The rock climbing is supposed to be great. If anyone else is going and knows how to belay, hit me up.

Sorry, Utah. It's all the same portal though (you probably know that). I'm excited to check out a new corner of utah. I love the SLC area, Zion, and everywhere else i've been. The rock climbing is supposed to be great. If anyone else is going and knows how to belay, hit me up.
Congrats and goodluck!

Anyone interviewing on 9/19 want to share a car/hotel?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing on 9/19 want to share a car/hotel?
i chose 9/21 ('cause school) otherwise i'd help you out.

I just calculated that the medical school parking lot is less than one hour from the Zion National Park entrance! This is huge you guys. If you haven't been to Zion, you simply have to. There are no words. I'm gonna stay for an extra day or two. I'll have a car if anyone wants to share in some adventure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
CO or UT??

My bad, I should have been more specific. I am interviewing at UT (I don't think CO has sent out II yet?) I will probably fly into St. George since it's significantly closer to the main airport. We can also mock interview each other, and since I will have had 5 interviews already by that time, I think I can give some good feedback!

i chose 9/21 ('casue school) otherwise i'd help you out.

I just calculated that the medical school parking lot is less than one hour from the Zion National Park entrance! This is huge you guys. If you haven't been to Zion, you simply have to. There are no words. I'm gonna stay for an extra day or two. I'll have a car if anyone wants to share in some adventure.

Being close to Zion is actually my #1 reason why I think I'll love it. Zion is one of my favorite national parks, and I've been to quite a few hehe

I want to do The Subway so bad. You gonna be there? also, Google says that St George has over 600 sport routes!
No interview invite there yet... I'm still hoping! I live pretty close by though in central UT. TONS of sport climbing/top roping close by. Canyoneering is my thing though (Subway is awesome! You won't regret doing it if you have the time). Zion is an hour away and moab, robbers roost, blue John canyon, green river are all only ~4ish hrs away. Prime location if you love climbing, Mt. Biking, River rafting, etc. Outdoor dream all within a few hours.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

No interview invite there yet... I'm still hoping! I live pretty close by though in central UT. TONS of sport climbing/top roping close by. Canyoneering is my thing though (Subway is awesome! You won't regret doing it if you have the time). Zion is an hour away and moab, robbers roost, blue John canyon, green river are all only ~4ish hrs away. Prime location if you love climbing, Mt. Biking, River rafting, etc. Outdoor dream all within a few hours.

you wanna do subway sometime that weekend?! my interview is thursday 9/21, so friday works for me, haha. I've done the narrows there, but i'd be stoked to do some big-boy stuff. with proper supervision of course.

you wanna do subway sometime that weekend?! my interview is thursday 9/21, so friday works for me, haha. I've done the narrows there, but i'd be stoked to do some big-boy stuff. with proper supervision of course.
I'll look into it. Pretty sure you have to get a permit and they sell out pretty far in advance. I'll pm you about it. That would be a blast though!

Was this just under the file status tab?
on the top where it says applicant-co and applicant-ut... that changed to interview-ut, which i didn't notice till after i clicked on it. once you click on it there is no longer a file-complete box. instead, there is some interview info, select a date, sign some waivers, etc.

Current 1st year at CO campus - just wanted to bring something to the attention of current applicants...

CO campus is live-broadcasting lectures to Utah (a few lectures are broadcast to us from Utah as well). The format in which they've been doing the broadcasting has been highly distracting for me and I suspect some of my classmates as well. 1 of the 2 projection screens (50% of the screen real estate) in our auditorium has been devoted to showing a live time feed of the students sitting in the auditorium at the Utah campus. I'm not sure where RVU stands with regards to hiring more faculty for the Utah campus but right now it seems like they're providing half the service for twice the money by splitting faculty/lectures between the schools instead of each school having their own. In addition to the distracting lecture environment rife with time squandered ironing out the technological kinks to facilitate streaming between the two campuses, the division of faculty resources between 2 schools means that you won't be able to meet face-to-face with many of the professors during their office hours and instead being relegated to correspondence via phone call or email. From a strictly business standpoint, I see the merits of doing this. Unfortunately however, this is a medical school and the pursuit of higher profits is coming at the cost of its students' education. It is profoundly frustrating to receive a lesser quality education and to see the school administration profit as a result of it. Had I been aware of this prior to applying and later matriculating here, I would have chosen a different school for my medical education - even if it meant trudging through another application cycle for a chance to go elsewhere.

Reactions: 9 users
Current 1st year at CO campus - just wanted to bring something to the attention of current applicants...

CO campus is live-broadcasting lectures to Utah (a few lectures are broadcast to us from Utah as well). The format in which they've been doing the broadcasting has been highly distracting for me and I suspect some of my classmates as well. 1 of the 2 projection screens (50% of the screen real estate) in our auditorium has been devoted to showing a live time feed of the students sitting in the auditorium at the Utah campus. I'm not sure where RVU stands with regards to hiring more faculty for the Utah campus but right now it seems like they're providing half the service for twice the money by splitting faculty/lectures between the schools instead of each school having their own. In addition to the distracting lecture environment rife with time squandered ironing out the technological kinks to facilitate streaming between the two campuses, the division of faculty resources between 2 schools means that you won't be able to meet face-to-face with many of the professors during their office hours and instead being relegated to correspondence via phone call or email. From a strictly business standpoint, I see the merits of doing this. Unfortunately however, this is a medical school and the pursuit of higher profits is coming at the cost of its students' education. It is profoundly frustrating to receive a lesser quality education and to see the school administration profit as a result of it. Had I been aware of this prior to applying and later matriculating here, I would have chosen a different school for my medical education - even if it meant trudging through another application cycle for a chance to go elsewhere.

Thank you so much for letting us know. It will definitely influence how we choose our school choice. It isn't easy and I hope the best for you!

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. Thats super frustrating.

Wow, thanks for the insight. I don't know if it's related to being a for-profit school, but instances like this make me hesitate to attend a school that carries such a designation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's been less than 2 weeks. Things like this take time to be ironed out. After a month, no one even goes to lectures anyway as everything is recorded and you aren't going to have time to sit in the lecture hall for half of your day. Also, Utah has their own faculty and more are being recruited; they will have more autonomy as new faculty members are hired and trained. There are kinks but they will be smoothed out within a couple of months.

I just got a rejection email from CO, but I was never complete-- my LORs haven't been submitted yet.

I'm confused...Is this a mistake, or do they not require letters to review an app?

I just got a rejection email from CO, but I was never complete-- my LORs haven't been submitted yet.

I'm confused...Is this a mistake, or do they not require letters to review an app?

I was rejected as well, but my letters never were updated! Maybe they don't there, but do at Utah!

I was rejected as well, but my letters never were updated! Maybe they don't there, but do at Utah!
My letter hasn't even been submitted yet though! My committee is supposed to submit it on Friday.

I called and the woman said they would get back to me after lunch. I checked their website and it states you need LORs to be complete, so something's off (I think).

Another 1st year (Utah campus) to chime in. I can see how the broadcast lectures could be frustrating for lecture go-ers. I don't go to lecture so it doesn't really change how I learn. If the professor is in Utah or CO, I hear and see it the same.

When I interviewed in CO, I don't remember them mentioning anything about the Utah campus and getting lecture from Utah. So during your interviews ask about the schools plans moving forward. It may or may not influence your decision and will likely depend on your learning style.

Hey all, congrats to those who have already received IIs!! I submitted 7/15 and have had FILEC since 7/18. Have not heard anything since then. Could I be hopeful to assume no news is good news?

cGPA: 3.75; sGPA: 3.82; MCAT: 502. Significant Volunteer, EC, and clinical experience. In-State.

Hey all, congrats to those who have already received IIs!! I submitted 7/15 and have had FILEC since 7/18. Have not heard anything since then. Could I be hopeful to assume no news is good news?

cGPA: 3.75; sGPA: 3.82; MCAT: 502. Significant Volunteer, EC, and clinical experience. In-State.

Just received my CO II while posting this!!! Hope to meet you all soon!

Just checked the portal and saw that I was invited to interview!!! I haven't received an e-mail about it though. APPL 7/14 and FILEC 7/19

People who received II's: did you get an e-mail notifying you or did you just find out via the portal? Thanks in advance!

Just came back from interview suit shopping and saw my rejection e-mail :(. Alas I guess we weren't meant to be

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an email rejection from the CO campus! Good luck everyone!

People who received II's: did you get an e-mail notifying you or did you just find out via the portal? Thanks in advance!

I refreshed the portal to find the updated status, was able to schedule the interview 9/12.

Those that were rejected, did y'all have FILEC status already? Any have the applicant status still?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I wonder what their criteria is to pick people to interview. Very mysterious.