2017-2018 Rutgers University - NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone that is not an ED applicant but received secondary?

I think they're the same!

Anyone receive an interview invite yet? Or has already interviewed? The website says interviews begin 7/5[/QUOTE
ED applicants started to receive an interview letter

Reactions: 1 user
OOS- didn't receive any secondaries yet...

Have any non-ED applicants received the secondary yet? I'm in-state and still haven't received..

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed last week. I am an ED applicant.

Interviewed last week. I am an ED applicant.
Good luck, I hope you get in! Would you mind telling me when you submitted your secondary and how the interview went? What kind of questions did they ask, was it with Dr. Heinrich, etc.?

Good luck, I hope you get in! Would you mind telling me when you submitted your secondary and how the interview went? What kind of questions did they ask, was it with Dr. Heinrich, etc.?
Interview went pretty well. I got the nicest interviewer and the questions were standard. Each interviewer asks different questions. It's very low stress, and even the stressful interviewer is pretty clear that they are trying to poke at you. Just don't be a bad person and you should be fine. I submitted my secondary the day it opened on June 30. Dr. Heinrich only attends Tuesday interviews and was on vacation till the 17th

Recently interviewed. There was one harder interviewer and the others were nicer and low stress. The interviews are not with Dr. Heinrich. The type of questions depend on the interviewer. Mine were somewhat standard, but did ask about healthcare today.

Got my secondary too 40min ago!! Yeahh (In state, non-ED)

Interview went pretty well. I got the nicest interviewer and the questions were standard. Each interviewer asks different questions. It's very low stress, and even the stressful interviewer is pretty clear that they are trying to poke at you. Just don't be a bad person and you should be fine. I submitted my secondary the day it opened on June 30. Dr. Heinrich only attends Tuesday interviews and was on vacation till the 17th

Recently interviewed. There was one harder interviewer and the others were nicer and low stress. The interviews are not with Dr. Heinrich. The type of questions depend on the interviewer. Mine were somewhat standard, but did ask about healthcare today.

Either of you hear back yet? I interviewed recently too!

Hey guys - thanks for the feedback. When you guys mention other interviewers is that based on feedback from other students or did you have multiple interviewers? I thought NJMS did a single one-on-one interview and am wondering if they've changed it this year.

Hey guys - thanks for the feedback. When you guys mention other interviewers is that based on feedback from other students or did you have multiple interviewers? I thought NJMS did a single one-on-one interview and am wondering if they've changed it this year.
Either of you hear back yet? I interviewed recently too!

I have not heard back yet. I expect to hear back next weekend. My feedback on interviewers is from other students and the opinion of Ms. Rivero. Interviews are one-on-one and generally low stress.

Hi there,

Does anyone know how strict Rutgers is on having a non-science academic LOR? Would I be able to swap the non-science ACADEMIC LOR for a non-science NON-ACADEMIC LOR?

Thanks!

OOS secondary received! Does anyone know what they are looking for when they ask about planned activities for the next year? I'm out of school and I've been applying for jobs, but haven't hear back. Can I just say I plan to work in a medically related field, or are they looking for something else like volunteering and research?

IS received and submitted today! Y'all I accidentally click the wrong race/omitted one of my races in the self identification section in the secondary. No biggie right? I'm assuming they cross list the information from my primary, which has my accurate self-identification.

For their secondary essays (especially questions 8 & 9), are these optional? They seem to be asking for really similar information, and I'm not sure I need to complete them all.

OOS secondary received! Does anyone know what they are looking for when they ask about planned activities for the next year? I'm out of school and I've been applying for jobs, but haven't hear back. Can I just say I plan to work in a medically related field, or are they looking for something else like volunteering and research?
Are you planning on working only? Traveling? Studying for the mcat?
You can write something like:
-September 2017-January 2018: tutor service
-February 2018-April 2018: possible Med sch interviews
And so on....

For their secondary essays (especially questions 8 & 9), are these optional? They seem to be asking for really similar information, and I'm not sure I need to complete them all.
They are two different things. In 8), if you feel like you got a bad grade in one of your courses and wants to discuss about it or if during your junior year your gpa went totally down this is were you can elaborate the reason behind that.
In 9), if you participated in one of their summer program and learned a lot you can talk about it.
If none of the above apply to you just write N/A

Still only 1 interview. If you applied regular decision then there is an optional student interview. No student interview for ED.

They are two different things. In 8), if you feel like you got a bad grade in one of your courses and wants to discuss about it or if during your junior year your gpa went totally down this is were you can elaborate the reason behind that.
In 9), if you participated in one of their summer program and learned a lot you can talk about it.
If none of the above apply to you just write N/A
It is a terrible idea to write N/A for anything other than the question that asks about not being a NJ resident. The committee interprets it as laziness/ will assume the worst.

It is a terrible idea to write N/A for anything other than the question that asks about not being a NJ resident. The committee interprets it as laziness/ will assume the worst.
It really won't hurt you to put N/A if the question does not pertain to you. However, it is best to answer as many questions as you can.

It really won't hurt you to put N/A if the question does not pertain to you. However, it is best to answer as many questions as you can.
Both questions are for students to share more about themselves and give the committee a better picture of who they are and why they are different from everyone else applying. I've heard Dr. Heinrich say multiple times that if they give you the space, you should write something and that they will assume the worst if you do not. If someone has a perfect application, then sure, skip the question about explaining a circumstance. But I don't know of anyone who falls in that category.

If you do your research on secondaries you'll see that most people highly recommend filling out anything that applies to you. I would strongly discourage skipping either of these questions. They give you a pretty generic category for Q.8, which seems to lend itself to the typical adversity essay in some form or another. Q.9 only mentions uniqueness and is totally open for whatever you might want to write. Make it count!

Yes. I have not, but someone in admissions mentioned that calls have gone out already.

ah i havent either. i interviewed during the first week of July. They said 2-3 weeks so its about time. hoping for something soon. good luck!

Is there any way to find out the name of your interviewer before interview day?

when did admissions say this? did you call them? Was thinking about following up.
When I was there for my interview. Apparently it takes a different amount of time depending on when your interviewer fills out the evaluation form. But they said between 7-14 days before we would hear. Maybe email Dr. Heinrich if it has been longer than 3 weeks.

When I was there for my interview. Apparently it takes a different amount of time depending on when your interviewer fills out the evaluation form. But they said between 7-14 days before we would hear. Maybe email Dr. Heinrich if it has been longer than 3 weeks.

Do you know if they have a deadline for when they have to submit their evaluations? I'm basically at 3 weeks post interview now.

Do you know if they have a deadline for when they have to submit their evaluations? I'm basically at 3 weeks post interview now.
No idea. Just email Dr. Heinrich. They understand that there is a time crunch with ED, so I don't think it can hurt you.