2017-2018 Tufts University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the deferred email

Reactions: 1 user
Acceptance email came just now after getting call yesterday.

This was my one chance to go to medical school. I had to stay in state because of family. I can’t afford to reapply. Is there any chance that there is movement on the deferment list? Any at all? My heart is broken.

This was my one chance to go to medical school. I had to stay in state because of family. I can’t afford to reapply. Is there any chance that there is movement on the deferment list? Any at all? My heart is broken.
People have already been accepted after being deferred this year. There is definitely still a chance.

Don't lose hope! We were just deferred, which means we are going to be actively considered. Have you submitted a LOI? That will at least show the school that you are committed to attending if selected - some good assurance for the school. Also, I don't want to believe that you can't afford to reapply. Pick up another job, ask people for some help, apply for the AAMC waiver and ask schools to waive your fee. Apply in two years if you have to. If you want to be a doctor, I have faith that you will find a way.

Don't lose hope! We were just deferred, which means we are going to be actively considered. Have you submitted a LOI? That will at least show the school that you are committed to attending if selected - some good assurance for the school. Also, I don't want to believe that you can't afford to reapply. Pick up another job, ask people for some help, apply for the AAMC waiver and ask schools to waive your fee. Apply in two years if you have to. If you want to be a doctor, I have faith that you will find a way.
I don't say this to be pompous, but unless I get a significant financial aid package I'll be withdrawing my acceptance here. Assuming there are others like me, there should a at least a little movement. Never lose hope y'all, best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back today for Maine Track?
Not I. It looks like deferred Maine Track applicants don't usually hear back until April. Around that time, people who were deferred get rejected, accepted, or moved to the waitlist. And then movement begins early May.

Perhaps Maine is getting some bad weather right now and so they are a bit behind on notifications.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I meant people who interviewed for the Maine Track recently and haven't gotten an admissions decision yet

I have a prestarted family and we can’t afford it. Working and school and having children has already stretched us to the limit financially and emotionally. I really put all my eggs in one basket.
Oh word...
Not the situation I was imagining. Well, things are as they are. I hope you get in this cycle, but if not, I think starting a family is definitely a fair trade. Keep believing!

rejected, this sucks. seems like im the only one. interviewed february

Complete silence anyone? I know II in March is a stretch but it happens right?

Reactions: 1 users
Complete silence anyone? I know II in March is a stretch but it happens right?

My question too! I got an interview at the Maine Track but have heard *crickets* from the regular track, even though there have evidently been lots of rejections... like, what?

rejected, this sucks. seems like im the only one. interviewed february
Sorry to hear that. Good luck! (I'm sure you're not the only one--just the only one brave enough to post.)

My question too! I got an interview at the Maine Track but have heard *crickets* from the regular track, even though there have evidently been lots of rejections... like, what?
I'm not an expert, but I believe that if you are under consideration for the Maine Track, you cannot be rejected from the regular track. Some people are invited to interview for both tracks and have a shot at being admitted to both. But, because the Maine Track students are a part of the TUSM class, they have to also be accepted by the Boston committee, which means although you may not interview for the regular track in Boston, as long as you are still in the running for Maine Track, you won't be rejected from the regular track.

Anyone still waiting on an II? My application has been complete since mid August...honestly starting to believe even that was too late. On the bright side, most regular track apps have been getting rejected so no news is good news? :(

Anyone still waiting on an II? My application has been complete since mid August...honestly starting to believe even that was too late. On the bright side, most regular track apps have been getting rejected so no news is good news? :(
Their last interview day is Tuesday, sadly.

Their last interview day is Tuesday, sadly.

But their website says that they will send an II or letter of regret by Mar 31. I emailed them a few weeks back and they said that applications are still under review.

Their last interview day is definitely Tuesday. Their website probably says that as a safety net, I imagine they would extend interview dates if they did not feel like they were accepting the class they wanted. A few weeks back they were probably still under review, but that was *a few weeks ago.* Sorry.

Their last interview day is definitely Tuesday. Their website probably says that as a safety net, I imagine they would extend interview dates if they did not feel like they were accepting the class they wanted. A few weeks back they were probably still under review, but that was *a few weeks ago.* Sorry.
Any reason they've held my app under review for almost 8 months now? I've had friends w similar stats apply a few weeks after me and get pre II rejections within 2 months

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

You're...not the only one who hasn't heard back from Tufts or in general? I haven't heard back from 10 schools yet either when it's clear they won't be inviting me for an interview. That's just how some schools run.
Tufts is one of 4 remaining schools that have yet to respond to me. My stats are decent enough (got me IIs at BU and NYU) but even if nothing comes of it, i would love a blunt rejection letter at least just to give me some closure you know? Otherwise I'm just dragged into wishful thinking

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Has anyone here been deferred and written an LOI and found it works?

Has anyone here been deferred and written an LOI and found it works?
I have. I was deferred on Feb 1st, I submitted my letter a couple of days after and was accepted on Feb 15th. I cannot say for sure that I was accepted because of the letter but I know that it helped out a lot. If this school is your top choice then you should definitely write that letter; it will help. Best of luck!

I have. I was deferred on Feb 1st, I submitted my letter a couple of days after and was accepted on Feb 15th. I cannot say for sure that I was accepted because of the letter but I know that it helped out a lot. If this school is your top choice then you should definitely write that letter; it will help. Best of luck!
Sooo, what I'm hearing is that hearing back during the middle of the month is also a possibility? Oh dear.

But, seriously, thank you for the input! It's nice to hear that LOI hold some weight.

Thank you! Tufts is my dream school. It’s good to have a little hope.

Interviewed in December and was deferred. Sent 2 updates already. Any advice on what more I could do? Anyone know when I should hear back or if people on the deferred list would even be pushed to accepted/waitlist?

Interviewed in December and was deferred. Sent 2 updates already. Any advice on what more I could do? Anyone know when I should hear back or if people on the deferred list would even be pushed to accepted/waitlist?
My guess is that there might be a little movement over the next month. Then, in April, they will let people who were deferred know if they are wait-listed or rejected.

I'm guessing the best advice is just to be patient and update the school when you have something significant to add. Best of luck to you! I'm right there with you.

Last edited:
Got the pre-II R today. Not too surprising since they already finished interviews.

Pre-II R hammer comes down. Funny couple of days - got into UPenn yesterday - this process will forever remain a mystery.

Reactions: 2 users
Where do people usually live? I don't know much about Boston so any recommendations would be appreciated

Where do people usually live? I don't know much about Boston so any recommendations would be appreciated
Most of the people I talked to lived in Cambridge or Jamaica Plain!

Does anyone know about Tufts second look day? I got an email about something happening on a Thursday night (didn't get any more info about the Friday thing they mentioned). I'm not from the area so I'm trying to figure out if it is worth going.

Did anyone hear anything about a maine track scholarship? And/or financial aid in general?

Did anyone hear anything about a maine track scholarship? And/or financial aid in general?
They told me they would not be reviewing FA info until the March 30th deadline and packages would be sent out roughly two weeks after that.

When was the last interview day? I'm on the deferred list and wondering when the adcom will be finished with giving initial post-interview decisions out.

I know the adcom tends to meet at the end of the month, but anyone know the exact meeting date/when recent interviewees are expected to hear a decision?

This is my top choice and I'm being extra impatient and neurotic :(

When was the last interview day? I'm on the deferred list and wondering when the adcom will be finished with giving initial post-interview decisions out.

I know the adcom tends to meet at the end of the month, but anyone know the exact meeting date/when recent interviewees are expected to hear a decision?

This is my top choice and I'm being extra impatient and neurotic :(
Same here. Deferred in February. Hoping to hear something tomorrow. But that may be wishful thinking. They said any time before May.

Same here. Deferred in February. Hoping to hear something tomorrow. But that may be wishful thinking. They said any time before May.
I think the next adcom meeting is the 26th or 27th of this month. At least that's what they told our march interview group