You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Tulane University Application
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I got green check mark about a week ago should I assume I'm rejected
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got green check mark about a week ago should I assume I'm rejected
Got mine on the 11th 🙁 I think it depends how fast your interviewer is.
Got mine on the 11th 🙁 I think it depends how fast your interviewer is.
I was the 14th who knows
Got mine on the 11th 🙁 I think it depends how fast your interviewer is.
I got mine 07/31. No news. So we shall see.
II this afternoon
complete 7/31
LizzyM 78
What gives with these late interview dates??
I got an II this afternoon too, complete 7/28, LizzyM 76, My earliest option was Jan 30th
Wonder if it's even worth writing and submitting the secondary biw
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Someone on here said it was about two weeks after their II when they heard back. Has anyone gotten an interview date before Nov?
I know you asked this a while ago but my interview is scheduled for 10/5 and I received the ii on 7/21. I am expecting to hear a decision around mid October when decisions are first allowed to come out.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
J
jdav_7
10/5 here tooI know you asked this a while ago but my interview is scheduled for 10/5 and I received the ii on 7/21. I am expecting to hear a decision around mid October when decisions are first allowed to come out.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Very disappointed. I interviewed here last year, got waitlisted, and reapplied this year with a significantly improved app but was just rejected 

Sorry to hear...When did you get green check?Very disappointed. I interviewed here last year, got waitlisted, and reapplied this year with a significantly improved app but was just rejected![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you got rejected just now don't worry... the rest of us who haven't heard anything are as good as rejected at this point anyway lol
I assumed it is more than a week then its a rejection? I guess i will be rejected too
First rejection [emoji26]
Don't sweat it!!
I saw you got an interview at Miami!!! Congrats, that's amazing!!
I few people on this forum always stand out to me for some reason and you are one of them. Can't help but to route you on!!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sorry to hear...When did you get green check?
No idea, I wasn't monitoring that because it would only make me overthink everything.
I submitted my secondary on 7/31 and still don't have a green check. Anyone else in the same boat?
I've had the green check for a week hopefully something soon
Don't sweat it!!
I saw you got an interview at Miami!!! Congrats, that's amazing!!
I few people on this forum always stand out to me for some reason and you are one of them. Can't help but to route you on!!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you so much! Good luck in Tulane. New Orleans is def my favorite city in the US. But, perhaps it may just be a better vacation spot for me [emoji15]
green checkmark today. complete 7/28.
D
deleted445355
Ohio girl coming to get me some clam chowder and lab staaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
J
jdav_7
That sounds a lot like Boston lolOhio girl coming to get me some clam chowder and lab staaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
D
deleted445355
Mom told me New Orleans has some awesome sea food 😀
Mom told me New Orleans has some awesome sea food 😀
Haha they do, just neither of those things.
Think more along the lines of crab, red drum, crawfish, catfish, oysters, and shrimp

D
deleted445355
Haha they do, just neither of those things.
Think more along the lines of crab, red drum, crawfish, catfish, oysters, and shrimp![]()
Me love crab toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
submitted my app on 8/03 but no green check yet 🙁
J
jdav_7
Not a super idea in my mind... risky moveAny idea whether it would be a horrible idea to talk about being a female on the secondary prompt about URM? I know that the M/F ratio is beginning to close in medicine, but it definitely still exists.
Example--my first day working as a scribe (I couldn't make this up if I tried)
Me: "Hi, I'm X, the new scribe!"
(Male) Doctor: "Oh hi! Welcome to the staff. How long do you think you'll stay, and what is it you want to do? I know most scribes are temporary."
Me: "I really want to go to medical school and become a doctor..." *interrupts*
Doctor: "(Looks at me). You--really? No. You don't want to go to medical school. You want to get married and have kids and a family. You should become a dentist or a nurse. Doctors can't have a family."
Me: **awkward pause** No, actually I do want to be a doctor. Thanks, though.
Honestly all I can do now is laugh about it. But what an infuriating and sexist welcome!
...So good idea, or horrible one? I'm white, Christian, lower-middle class, and heterosexual, English-speaker, so other than being a female, I'm in no way an URM
Not a super idea in my mind... risky move
I agree
Any idea whether it would be a horrible idea to talk about being a female on the secondary prompt about URM? I know that the M/F ratio is beginning to close in medicine, but it definitely still exists.
Example--my first day working as a scribe (I couldn't make this up if I tried)
Me: "Hi, I'm X, the new scribe!"
(Male) Doctor: "Oh hi! Welcome to the staff. How long do you think you'll stay, and what is it you want to do? I know most scribes are temporary."
Me: "I really want to go to medical school and become a doctor..." *interrupts*
Doctor: "(Looks at me). You--really? No. You don't want to go to medical school. You want to get married and have kids and a family. You should become a dentist or a nurse. Doctors can't have a family."
Me: **awkward pause** No, actually I do want to be a doctor. Thanks, though.
Honestly all I can do now is laugh about it. But what an infuriating and sexist welcome!
...So good idea, or horrible one? I'm white, Christian, lower-middle class, and heterosexual, English-speaker, so other than being a female, I'm in no way an URM
I'm a male but to be honest I would probably not use that as a URM. Not tontake away from anything as that's obviously not right what the doctor said, but I think they mean URM as socioeconomic, underserved, first generation, race etc.
I think an adcom would view this poorly in my opinion because a URM usually is disadvantaged in someway for their entire life and if you try to use that to explain this scenario (again not taking away from the mean comments) that it may leave a bad taste in their mouths
New Orleans guy here. You mean etouffe, gumbo, and crawfish. Clam chowder doesn't exist down here haha. Oh yea don't forget charbroiled oysters too.Ohio girl coming to get me some clam chowder and lab staaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
Rejection from Tulane today.
Good luck to everyone!
Good luck to everyone!
So I've had my green checkmark since 7/28 and I still haven't received an interview invite or a rejection. Should I start getting worried?
So I've had my green checkmark since 7/28 and I still haven't received an interview invite or a rejection. Should I start getting worried?
The only thing you need to know about the application process is that you need to be patient and expect nothing.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
For what it's worth, my mom tells me the same thing all the time and I'm a male lolAny idea whether it would be a horrible idea to talk about being a female on the secondary prompt about URM? I know that the M/F ratio is beginning to close in medicine, but it definitely still exists.
Example--my first day working as a scribe (I couldn't make this up if I tried)
Me: "Hi, I'm X, the new scribe!"
(Male) Doctor: "Oh hi! Welcome to the staff. How long do you think you'll stay, and what is it you want to do? I know most scribes are temporary."
Me: "I really want to go to medical school and become a doctor..." *interrupts*
Doctor: "(Looks at me). You--really? No. You don't want to go to medical school. You want to get married and have kids and a family. You should become a dentist or a nurse. Doctors can't have a family."
Me: **awkward pause** No, actually I do want to be a doctor. Thanks, though.
Honestly all I can do now is laugh about it. But what an infuriating and sexist welcome!
...So good idea, or horrible one? I'm white, Christian, lower-middle class, and heterosexual, English-speaker, so other than being a female, I'm in no way an URM
Gonna have nightmares about this dang red exclamation point
Last edited:
For what it's worth, my mom tells me the same thing all the time and I'm a male lol
Haha, this is my family. But I'm a female. Pretty sure it would be the same if I was a male.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Any idea whether it would be a horrible idea to talk about being a female on the secondary prompt about URM? I know that the M/F ratio is beginning to close in medicine, but it definitely still exists.
Example--my first day working as a scribe (I couldn't make this up if I tried)
Me: "Hi, I'm X, the new scribe!"
(Male) Doctor: "Oh hi! Welcome to the staff. How long do you think you'll stay, and what is it you want to do? I know most scribes are temporary."
Me: "I really want to go to medical school and become a doctor..." *interrupts*
Doctor: "(Looks at me). You--really? No. You don't want to go to medical school. You want to get married and have kids and a family. You should become a dentist or a nurse. Doctors can't have a family."
Me: **awkward pause** No, actually I do want to be a doctor. Thanks, though.
Honestly all I can do now is laugh about it. But what an infuriating and sexist welcome!
...So good idea, or horrible one? I'm white, Christian, lower-middle class, and heterosexual, English-speaker, so other than being a female, I'm in no way an URM
So by definition underrepresented in medicine does not include being a woman. Women are not underrepresented. That doesn't mean there aren't sexist stigmas around women in medicine, it's just a different topic all together. Unfortunately, having these experiences in medicine is not unique, and so doesn't set you apart from all the other women who have been told they should be nurses so they can have kids. This is something you will have to deal with, but it is not a phenomenon that will help you get into medical school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got II, my very first one!! I was complete 7/29, LizzyM 74.3.
Also, the first available interview date was February 28th....and their last date was March 2nd. On their site it said they only interview until February but I guess that changed?
Nah, if you look closely then you'll see a discrepancy. On the website, they tell you interviews are from September - February twice. But then there's one time where they also mention that they interview into early March. Based off of last year's thread, I figured the later to have been closer to the truth.
Any idea whether it would be a horrible idea to talk about being a female on the secondary prompt about URM? I know that the M/F ratio is beginning to close in medicine, but it definitely still exists.
Example--my first day working as a scribe (I couldn't make this up if I tried)
Me: "Hi, I'm X, the new scribe!"
(Male) Doctor: "Oh hi! Welcome to the staff. How long do you think you'll stay, and what is it you want to do? I know most scribes are temporary."
Me: "I really want to go to medical school and become a doctor..." *interrupts*
Doctor: "(Looks at me). You--really? No. You don't want to go to medical school. You want to get married and have kids and a family. You should become a dentist or a nurse. Doctors can't have a family."
Me: **awkward pause** No, actually I do want to be a doctor. Thanks, though.
Honestly all I can do now is laugh about it. But what an infuriating and sexist welcome!
...So good idea, or horrible one? I'm white, Christian, lower-middle class, and heterosexual, English-speaker, so other than being a female, I'm in no way an URM
LOL, no. Everyone wants to be underrepresented and/or poor when it comes time to apply to medical school. Don't try and make the bill fit if it truly doesn't define you.
Last edited:
Ah okay! I'm worried about being so close to the end though, spots will be mostly filled right?Nah, if you look closely then you'll see a discrepancy. On the website, they tell you interviews are from September - February twice. But then there's one time where they also mention that they interview into early March. Based off of last year's thread, I figured the later to have been closer to the truth.
Ah okay! I'm worried about being so close to the end though, spots will be mostly filled right?
It looks like it. Does anyone know what will happen once they fill up to March? .. It sounds like they're reviewing apps complete in late July/early August. What about those completed after that
It looks like it. Does anyone know what will happen once they fill up to March? .. It sounds like they're reviewing apps complete in late July/early August. What about those completed after that
Early bird gets the worm
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K