2017-2018 Tulane University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You all are making me feel a little better. I looked over the last two years of threads and noticed that whenever someone asked admissions about waitlist movement that they received either conflicting information or were told that they couldn't tell them. So, the same thing must be happening this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You all are making me feel a little better. I looked over the last two years of threads and noticed that whenever someone asked admissions about waitlist movement that they received either conflicting information or were told that they couldn't tell them. So, the same thing must be happening this year.

Yes, I wouldn't worry about it until we actually see people getting off! I remember during my first cycle, it was and will forever be a crapshoot waiting for WL movement. Tulane's past seems to have a lot of WL movement so we can take solace in that if just for a little bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else get the email for the free online Biochem summer courses?

+1. It's not free though.

You're right. It's definitely not free. I must have glanced over the bold in the PDF.

Tbh, im salty we got an email about the summer course, but not even an update on the lack of waitlist movement :yeahright:

I'm more likely to take the course if I'm accepted
Don’t get me wrong, I plan to enroll in it. It looks like a great resource, and it’s affordable. But I’m still feeling salty lol

Help me Tulane, you're my only hope!

I really hope there’s waitlist movement :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just wondering when I should throw in the towel and fully commit to reapplying.

Here’s what (a faculty member? Don’t quote me on this) said:

The AAMC, in its infinite wisdom, decided to hold a GSA meeting in Orlando from April 28-May 1. This meeting was exceptionally well attended because the AAMC, in its infinite wisdom, is ramming through a bunch of unwelcome changes to the application process and folks are up in arms. Hence, waitlist movement has been slow because the admissions deans were all busy rioting in central Florida.

This could explain the lag on waitlist movement. Who knows though haha

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just wondering when I should throw in the towel and fully commit to reapplying.

Are you going to be re-applying immediately or taking another year off?

I was in a similar situation my first cycle and I started pre-wmptively studying for the mcat again while on the waitlist which sucked.

But they didn't overfill, per the fb page. A few weeks ago, admissions told me the waitlist would occur late april-beginning of May. It seems they have been known to be inconsistent. Late May seems unlikely because is that really a good strategy on their part? Theyd have to reach out to so many more people because many of them would have paid a deposit elsewhere already or have gotten accepted to a different school more preferable to them (Tulane's weakness is their expensive tuition, after all)

Because the fb page doesn't seem too full, I also don't think they rejected a bunch of waitlisters for that reason. I think it's more likely they may have waitlisted more than the usual 250, or they were trying something new this year and cutting part of the 250.

Anyone wanna put in their 2 cents on this perspective would be great.

Anyway, I think H_Sheck is right, reconvene Cinco de Mayo haha
Idk how indicative the FB page is because the school I’m accepted at right now has a class size of 112 but the FB has only 102. Late May does seem like a poor strategy because even though I love TU this wait is pushing me away.

That quote is interesting about the AAMC.… just when the app process couldn’t get any worse

Are you going to be re-applying immediately or taking another year off?

I was in a similar situation my first cycle and I started pre-wmptively studying for the mcat again while on the waitlist which sucked.
Probably reapplying again. This whole thing sucks!

Bro, don’t give up! It’s good to have a backup plan, but it’s also good to have hope until the end of this month.

Bro, don’t give up! It’s good to have a backup plan, but it’s also good to have hope until the end of this month.
I live on the west coast and saw some random person wearing a Tulane University t-shirt today. I have never seen that before, so I'm taking it as a sign, lol!
Yes, it is unnecessarily sucky. I feel for you my friend :( At least you aren't giving up.
Thanks! I made it this far. I can't give up yet, haha.

Idk how indicative the FB page is because the school I’m accepted at right now has a class size of 112 but the FB has only 102. Late May does seem like a poor strategy because even though I love TU this wait is pushing me away.

That quote is interesting about the AAMC.… just when the app process couldn’t get any worse

Yes, It's also entirely possible that they had a much better yield this year but who knows. Unfortunately, the wait is also pushing me away as I'd like to make plans for housing and etc already.

I'm so sorry, I feel for you. The whole process of applying 1 time is already stressful enough. It just compounds with all the stress and anxiety of not knowing and not getting in.

I have nothing to say of substance, but good luck this week all! I did notice our thread has almost reached 50 pages LOL we stomped last year . .. . go us?!

I got an email from Tulane at 8am PST this morning!!!!!

---regarding the summer biochem program...

I got an email from Tulane at 8am PST this morning!!!!!

---regarding the summer biochem program...
Me too! I was wondering if it is worth it to do it or not...anyone has any input?

Me too! I was wondering if it is worth it to do it or not...anyone has any input?

decent discussion a couple of weeks ago in the Facebook group. If you're in it, direct link to the post here:
Code:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TUSOM2022/permalink/2069081980081605
(it took me like six tries to get around SDN trying to autoembed the link jESUS)

decent discussion a couple of weeks ago in the Facebook group. If you're in it, direct link to the post here:
Code:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TUSOM2022/permalink/2069081980081605
(it took me like six tries to get around SDN trying to autoembed the link jESUS)
Why not just take a snapshot :shrug: ?

Just trying to remove names/faces from a public-facing forum!!
Understandable. But most applicants still on here, have not been accepted to TUSOM and therefore can’t access the Facebook group. Just saying :shrug:

Understandable. But most applicants still on here, have not been accepted to TUSOM and therefore can’t access the Facebook group. Just saying :shrug:

How depressing is that :’(

I’m really wondering if there’s going to be waitlist movement tho. Has been so silent

tru but the course itself is only offered to waitlisted & accepted students, and accepted students are probably more likely to take the offer because they get a $200 per module rebate if they ultimately matriculate at Tulane? So I just feel like the average person considering the online course is an accepted student probably already in the fb group and not instead waitlisted/looking to drop $850 total with no guarantee of getting some back.

vjcvfzF.png

tru but the course itself is only offered to waitlisted & accepted students, and accepted students are probably more likely to take the offer because they get a $200 per module rebate if they ultimately matriculate at Tulane? So I just feel like the average person considering the online course is an accepted student probably already in the fb group and not instead waitlisted/looking to drop $850 total with no guarantee of getting some back.

vjcvfzF.png
I thought about doing this course for a minute....and then realized that I’m way too bitter rn. Plus, I’m trying to chillax as much as possible this summer :watching: Thx for providing the testimonies though

Last edited:
It's so weird that the waitlist hasn't moved yet... or maybe people aren't posting about acceptances haha.

It's so weird that the waitlist hasn't moved yet... or maybe people aren't posting about acceptances haha.
Ohhh trust me haha if I find out, something will get posted :)

Still nothing? I'm starting to lose hope.

Still nothing? I'm starting to lose hope.

I know how you must feel, but I wouldn't lose hope yet. Tulane just hasn't had their moment yet, their moment is being delayed, but the moment will come. If I were you, however, I'd gear up to reapply. I think it's possible to prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

I know how you must feel, but I wouldn't lose hope yet. Tulane just hasn't had their moment yet, their moment is being delayed, but the moment will come. If I were you, however, I'd gear up to reapply. I think it's possible to prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

This is a good outlook to have! I wonder what's the hold up. It's hard to believe that all of a sudden they would have an incredibly high yield this year with no movement.

Maybe there has been movement but no SDNers got off haha.

This is a good outlook to have! I wonder what's the hold up. It's hard to believe that all of a sudden they would have an incredibly high yield this year with no movement.

Maybe there has been movement but no SDNers got off haha.

I really think the hold up is just due to administrators being bombarded with lots of things at once, and many other schools have not started their waitlist movement either. If we try to stay objective, we'll remember that historically Tulane has a ~60% acceptance rate among those interviewed, so they must draw a good amount from the waitlist. I'm just as impatient as the next person, but just trying to quell some neuroticism here

I really think the hold up is just due to administrators being bombarded with lots of things at once, and many other schools have not started their waitlist movement either. If we try to stay objective, we'll remember that historically Tulane has a ~60% acceptance rate among those interviewed, so they must draw a good amount from the waitlist. I'm just as impatient as the next person, but just trying to quell some neuroticism here
I appreciate your optimism buddy, but I disagree with your assessment. Most schools have actually begun pulling people off the waitlist. The only schools that haven’t are at full capacity at the moment i.e. Indiana, Wayne, etc. I’ve seen literally dozens of people being pulled off other WLs between this week and last. So I’m almost 90% certain Tulane just had a higher yield retention this year....wouldn’t be the first time this has happened either

I appreciate your optimism buddy, but I disagree with your assessment. Most schools have actually begun pulling people off the waitlist. The only schools that haven’t are at full capacity at the moment i.e. Indiana, Wayne, etc. I’ve seen literally dozens of people being pulled off other WLs between this week and last. So I’m almost 90% certain Tulane just had a higher yield retention this year....wouldn’t be the first time this has happened either

Since the waitlists have started moving, some of the people that Tulane has accepted will have multiple acceptances. There is a chance that those people will choose another school over Tulane by next week, opening some spots for those that are waitlisted. Kind of like a domino effect. So we won't know what this year's retention is until the smoke clears :)

Edit: Let me know if my logic makes sense or if I'm grasping onto hope hahah

It definitely makes sense. But I have a feeling that this year will still mimic 2012, when tulane had their first and last second look day

What happened in 2012 in terms of the waitlist?
For the 2012-2013 year, applicants were waiting up until June for waitlist movement. Maybe a few got off, but none reported it on sdn. Some scary stuff. Check it out!

Does anyone know when we might get an updated academic calendar for the 2018-2019 year? All I'm seeing is 2017-2018.

JUST GOT THE CALL. IM OFF THE WAITLIST

Reactions: 8 users