-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Tulane University Application
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Tulane is officially my only hope. I have finally been rejected from my other two schools I interviewed at.
Ugh that's awful. I really hope Tulane comes through for you. (and meeee)
Oh wow. Sorry to hear that! I’m sure good news will head your way next week. Keeping you in my prayers!!Tulane is officially my only hope. I have finally been rejected from my other two schools I interviewed at.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tulane is officially my only hope. I have finally been rejected from my other two schools I interviewed at.
Yeah Tulane was my only real hope from the beginning. I didn't get an interview anywhere else. Hope it goes well for us both!
For those concerned about the UMC hospital situation. . .
I had the same concerns.
While flying out to find an apartment in New Orleans three weeks ago, I visited UMC and talked with a current resident. He was not concerned about the situation. He (a LSU medical school graduate) said that this type of political war continuously goes on in New Orleans/Louisiana/UMC.
Additionally, lets go to worse case scenario: UMC closes down completely. From 2006 (first year after hurricane Katrina) to 2015 (the year UMC opened), Tulane did not have UMC. Two things: 1) If you look at their match lists from 2006-2015, I think you will still be impressed. They continuously had a great variety of matches to very prominent institutions/universities. Therefore, not having UMC didn't seem to hurt Tulane's reputation/abilities/etc. 2) If you look at Tulane's current medical facilities, they have 13 facilities in addition to UMC. Thus, it's not as if medical students at Tulane will have a shortage of places to train, even if UMC closed down.
Lastly, on my interview day, Tulane students were already saying that LSU was really the main beneficiary of UMC. These Tulane students were a little bitter that they didn't get to train at the new hospital. But, for "political reasons," they said LSU students were really the main ones using UMC. Consequently, if UMC closes down, I don't think it would change a lot of things for Tulane Students.
Hope that helps alleviate some fears!
I had the same concerns.
While flying out to find an apartment in New Orleans three weeks ago, I visited UMC and talked with a current resident. He was not concerned about the situation. He (a LSU medical school graduate) said that this type of political war continuously goes on in New Orleans/Louisiana/UMC.
Additionally, lets go to worse case scenario: UMC closes down completely. From 2006 (first year after hurricane Katrina) to 2015 (the year UMC opened), Tulane did not have UMC. Two things: 1) If you look at their match lists from 2006-2015, I think you will still be impressed. They continuously had a great variety of matches to very prominent institutions/universities. Therefore, not having UMC didn't seem to hurt Tulane's reputation/abilities/etc. 2) If you look at Tulane's current medical facilities, they have 13 facilities in addition to UMC. Thus, it's not as if medical students at Tulane will have a shortage of places to train, even if UMC closed down.
Lastly, on my interview day, Tulane students were already saying that LSU was really the main beneficiary of UMC. These Tulane students were a little bitter that they didn't get to train at the new hospital. But, for "political reasons," they said LSU students were really the main ones using UMC. Consequently, if UMC closes down, I don't think it would change a lot of things for Tulane Students.
Hope that helps alleviate some fears!
Last edited:
Tuesday seems so far away 
Just officially withdrew my acceptance! I hope one of you all gets it!
I wonder if Tulane will wait until mid May for a waitlist movement like last year
Plenty of people were notified the first of May. Remember huskeydoc?I wonder if Tulane will wait until mid May for a waitlist movement like last year
As Tulane was my first acceptance, it stung a little to withdraw today. I would have loved living in the Big Easy and, as a reapplicant, I hope my acceptance goes to one of you without another offer.
Eat all the beignet's for me; especially Loretta's prawline filled!
Eat all the beignet's for me; especially Loretta's prawline filled!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Imagine, when we wake up tomorrow some of us could be accepted off the waitlist
Just got to work. Looked in the mirror, I am wearing a green flannel with a green undershirt. This was not planned, but if I get to wear green for the next 4 years I will be thrilled!!!
Your subconscious musta planned it!
Just got to work. Looked in the mirror, I am wearing a green flannel with a green undershirt. This was not planned, but if I get to wear green for the next 4 years I will be thrilled!!!
Whereas I on the other hand am petty enough to never wear green again after my rejection here
you could always wear it in residencyWhereas I on the other hand am petty enough to never wear green again after my rejection here

Plucked the thought right out of my head.It seems like every other school has had movement the last couple of days but Tulane. Hopefully they didn't over-accept and don't have any open spots currently.
It seems like every other school has had movement the last couple of days but Tulane. Hopefully they didn't over-accept and don't have any open spots currently.
Plucked the thought right out of my head.
Neurotic me checked their FB group page and we're ok 😉
I disagree. Been randomly looking thorough other threads and see very little waitlist movement today. I think we’re all getting neurotic and just need to be patient lol.
What do you mean?
Class of 2022- 418 members
Class of 2021- 542 members
Class of 2020- 597 members
D
deleted910941
So I was bored and looked at the last three years to see when applicants started posting acceptances from the waitlist.
2014/2015 - May 4th
2015/2016 - May 17th
2016/2017 - May 1st
I'ma 1-up your boredness but someone confirmed they got off the waitlist during 2015/2016 on May 5th. Not the 17th.
Ok cool. I'll edit that, lol!I'ma 1-up your boredness but someone confirmed they got off the waitlist during 2015/2016 on May 5th. Not the 17th.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok cool. I'll edit that, lol!
To be extra neurotic!
May 5th, 2016 was a Thursday.
May 1st, 2017 was a Monday.
I think I'll pretend it's random so I don't wake up every morning expecting something but also expecting to be disappointed. That's not a good feeling.
I just got a new job recently, well, starting next week, so I'm wondering if I should send in an update now (before their waitlist moves) or wait until I actually start, or not at all. It's not super different from what I was doing before (research, lab, biotech) so likely won't make a huge difference.
I just got a new job recently, well, starting next week, so I'm wondering if I should send in an update now (before their waitlist moves) or wait until I actually start, or not at all. It's not super different from what I was doing before (research, lab, biotech) so likely won't make a huge difference.
I called today
You can write a letter of update and then reiterate your interest in Tulane. It’s the perfect excuse to write a letter.
But yeah i called today and briefly asked when the movement should begin and i was told, if it moves then maybe late May. Not sure how reliable that is. Seemed a bit unlikely if you compare to previous year trends. And the maybe and IF was a bit disheartening but I’m prolly reading too much into it lol. Tulane is my top
I think I'll pretend it's random so I don't wake up every morning expecting something but also expecting to be disappointed. That's not a good feeling.
I just got a new job recently, well, starting next week, so I'm wondering if I should send in an update now (before their waitlist moves) or wait until I actually start, or not at all. It's not super different from what I was doing before (research, lab, biotech) so likely won't make a huge difference.
You can write a letter of update and then reiterate your interest in Tulane. It’s the perfect excuse to write a letter.
But yeah i called today and briefly asked when the movement should begin and i was told, if it moves then maybe late May. Not sure how reliable that is. Seemed a bit unlikely if you compare to previous year trends. And the maybe and IF was a bit disheartening but I’m prolly reading too much into it lol. Tulane is my top
Well that's disheartening. Thanks for the info.I called today
You can write a letter of update and then reiterate your interest in Tulane. It’s the perfect excuse to write a letter.
But yeah i called today and briefly asked when the movement should begin and i was told, if it moves then maybe late May. Not sure how reliable that is. Seemed a bit unlikely if you compare to previous year trends. And the maybe and IF was a bit disheartening but I’m prolly reading too much into it lol. Tulane is my top
I called today
You can write a letter of update and then reiterate your interest in Tulane. It’s the perfect excuse to write a letter.
But yeah i called today and briefly asked when the movement should begin and i was told, if it moves then maybe late May. Not sure how reliable that is. Seemed a bit unlikely if you compare to previous year trends. And the maybe and IF was a bit disheartening but I’m prolly reading too much into it lol. Tulane is my top
Man maybe Tulane overbooked this year?
I called today
You can write a letter of update and then reiterate your interest in Tulane. It’s the perfect excuse to write a letter.
But yeah i called today and briefly asked when the movement should begin and i was told, if it moves then maybe late May. Not sure how reliable that is. Seemed a bit unlikely if you compare to previous year trends. And the maybe and IF was a bit disheartening but I’m prolly reading too much into it lol. Tulane is my top
I already sent one in last month so I don't want to repeat things too much.
Thanks for that info. I hope they're just being cautious and it's not actually the case ...
Exactly. They also rejected a bunch of people from the waitlist a few weeks ago. If they really didn't think that much movement was going to happen why didn't they reject more of us. I just don't want to hold out hope for something that isn't going to happen.I know that SDN doesn't represent all the accepted students, but it seems like a decent amount withdrew on here. And there doesn't seem to be as many students in this year's FB group compared to those in the past. God I'm so neurotic.
Exactly. They also rejected a bunch of people from the waitlist a few weeks ago. If they really didn't think that much movement was going to happen why didn't they reject more of us. I just don't want to hold out hope for something that isn't going to happen.
Should someone call tomorrow? hahah
Exactly. They also rejected a bunch of people from the waitlist a few weeks ago. If they really didn't think that much movement was going to happen why didn't they reject more of us. I just don't want to hold out hope for something that isn't going to happen.
Perhaps they started rejecting people cause they overfilled! Who knows. Admissions may change things up once in awhile
True. I have no idea what to think anymore. I just want some resolution so I can move on with my life.Perhaps they started rejecting people cause they overfilled! Who knows. Admissions may change things up once in awhile
But they didn't overfill, per the fb page. A few weeks ago, admissions told me the waitlist would occur late april-beginning of May. It seems they have been known to be inconsistent. Late May seems unlikely because is that really a good strategy on their part? Theyd have to reach out to so many more people because many of them would have paid a deposit elsewhere already or have gotten accepted to a different school more preferable to them (Tulane's weakness is their expensive tuition, after all)True. I have no idea what to think anymore. I just want some resolution so I can move on with my life.
Because the fb page doesn't seem too full, I also don't think they rejected a bunch of waitlisters for that reason. I think it's more likely they may have waitlisted more than the usual 250, or they were trying something new this year and cutting part of the 250.
Anyone wanna put in their 2 cents on this perspective would be great.
Anyway, I think H_Sheck is right, reconvene Cinco de Mayo haha
Last edited:
I'm not sure the facebook page is a good resource to rely on because there are quite a few upperclassmen in there who keep getting added as they post their houses for rent/sublet. So the amount of upperclassmen keeps growing as the school year approaches, so it's hard to say whether the numbers in the facebook group are due to upperclassmen or acceptees.
That being said, I have heard nothing about over-enrollment, and you would think they would start asking people to defer if they were worried about that. Also,for what its worth, I know of at least a couple of people who are waiting on waitlist decisions at choices higher up on their list. And if I have heard of a few, you know there must be many more.
That being said, I have heard nothing about over-enrollment, and you would think they would start asking people to defer if they were worried about that. Also,for what its worth, I know of at least a couple of people who are waiting on waitlist decisions at choices higher up on their list. And if I have heard of a few, you know there must be many more.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's what I think because I called this morning and the lady who picked up said it's hard to tell during this season but it should be anytimePerhaps they said late-may so we wouldn't get our hopes up and not bother them haha.
That's what I think because I called this morning and the lady who picked up said it's hard to tell during this season but it should be anytime
Oh you called to ask when they anticipate waitlist movements?
Yep!Oh you called to ask when they anticipate waitlist movements?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K