2017-2018 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After submitting the secondary and photo, has anyone received any kind of portal/log-in to check status?
No, just an email

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found out I have a couple events with Dr. Saguil in a couple months. Any upstate NYers want to stop by haha.​

I was also invited for an interview. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Those with II. Stats? Military?

What are the dates for your interviews?

Reactions: 1 user
Lizzy M 76, no military background, II was for September 7th

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got an email this morning asking for some clarification on my LoRs, so hopefully this means I'm under review or will be soon! It's nice to see that the admissions people seem pretty communicative. Congrats to those with IIs, fingers crossed that I'll be joining you

no military background, LizzyM 70.20 (3.92 cgpa, 510 mcat)
II is September 7

Got an email this morning asking for some clarification on my LoRs, so hopefully this means I'm under review or will be soon! It's nice to see that the admissions people seem pretty communicative. Congrats to those with IIs, fingers crossed that I'll be joining you

Got a call two days ago asking for medical records (previous surgeries)... hoping I'm in the same boat as you! Although it's taking me a while to send over the documents T__T

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on last years thread I would have suspected some invites by now.

can anyone provide the full military-specific curriculum at all?

So far I could only find online:

Antietam March
Med. Field Prac. 101 -
Med. Field Prac. 102 - Advanced Combat Medical Experience
Med. Field Prac. 201 - Op. Gunpowder
Op. Kerkesner
Med. Field Prac. 202 Op. Bushmaster

Last edited:
can anyone provide the full military-specific curriculum at all?

So far I could only find online:

Antietam March
Med. Field Prac. 101 -
Med. Field Prac. 102 - Advanced Combat Medical Experience
Med. Field Prac. 201 - Op. Gunpowder
Op. Kerkesner
Med. Field Prac. 202 Op. Bushmaster

Hey there--you probably won't find the exact curriculum anywhere.
MFP 101 is a five day field experience for medical, military, and leadership skills to help understand/introduce operational medicine. First years also take part in Operation Bushmaster. It's done by first and fourth year students. It's a simulated mass casualty where fourth years are navigating, triaging, etc. First years are patients/victims.

There are also classes during each block--in our first block, we will have things like Military Medical Practice and Leadership, Role of a Military Medical Officer, Intro to Leadership, Troop Leading, MBTI, Combat Medical Skills, etc. It's integrated throughout the blocks, in addition to the large scale operations that you mentioned above. There are also opportunities for experiences that just pop up.

If you're looking for more information, try scouting the website. The Military and Emergency Medicine has some more details, and then in the USU new curriculum section, you can access some of the class calendars.

Last edited:
Hey there--you probably won't find the exact curriculum anywhere.
MFP 101 is a five day field experience for medical, military, and leadership skills to help understand/introduce operational medicine. First years also take part in Operation Bushmaster. It's done by first and fourth year students. It's a simulated mass casualty where fourth years are navigating, triaging, etc. First years are patients/victims.

There are also classes during each block--in our first block, we will have things like Military Medical Practice and Leadership, Role of a Military Medical Officer, Intro to Leadership, Troop Leading, MBTI, Combat Medical Skills, etc. It's integrated throughout the blocks, in addition to the large scale operations that you mentioned above. There are also opportunities for experiences that just pop up.

If you're looking for more information, try scouting the website. The Military and Emergency Medicine has some more details, and then in the USU new curriculum section, you can access some of the class calendars.

Thank you for the info! What kind of opportunities pop up specifically?

I also am wondering, since USUHS is a military base and students are AD, how far from campus are students allowed to travel until they need to request permission to go farther.

I also am wondering, since USUHS is a military base and students are AD, how far from campus are students allowed to travel until they need to request permission to go farther.

I've only been here a few weeks before orientation, but one of the events that popped up was Operation Argonaut which involved a high ropes course and obstacle course. There is a free mud run in a few weeks

The travel radius is 250 miles. Beyond that, pass or leave is required.

it's not just permission. You wouldn't believe all the ridiculous paperwork involved. Tripps report, risk assessment, POV inspection. Oh you aren't up to date on XXXX online training? pass denied. Lol.

it's not just permission. You wouldn't believe all the ridiculous paperwork involved. Tripps report, risk assessment, POV inspection. Oh you aren't up to date on XXXX online training? pass denied. Lol.

I want someone to ironically let their PHA lapse. :laugh:

anyone else trying to lose weight/get in shape for usuhs? lol

Yep. I gained a few after me enlistment. Do we know what the standards are for weight? Is it service specific or is there a general number for usuhs? Also. Is there a Different scale for >30? Asking for a friend....

Yep. I gained a few after me enlistment. Do we know what the standards are for weight? Is it service specific or is there a general number for usuhs? Also. Is there a Different scale for >30? Asking for a friend....

Physical fitness standards are specific to the branch but they are pretty similar across the board. They are also based off of age as well.

Physical fitness standards are specific to the branch but they are pretty similar across the board. They are also based off of age as well.
Yeah I've lost over 50 lbs. And no II yet. Ha ha....
But each branch had their own fitness standards. Typically the standard isn't really a "weight" standard, but a body fat fat standard. It's just that they estimate your body fat by your height and weight, but if you don't meet the standard they will do a tape test on you to calculate your body fat. I still need to lose 15 lbs to reach the max weight for my height, but I lift a lot of weights and am a big boy. I am below the body fat standard by like 4 percent using the tape test method.

Actually, while each branch has its own specific standards, all prospective USUHS students have to meet Army standards, which are the strictest. Once you're a student and have commissioned to particular branch, you'll be held to the standards for that branch.

"To be unconditionally accepted, all students must meet the height and weight requirements for the Army, regardless of which service they will enter. The height and weight requirements differ for men and women.
  • For men, height below 60 inches or over 80 inches does not meet the standard.
  • For women, height below 58 inches or over 80 inches does not meet the standard."
More at Uniformed Services University FAQ

Army standards: 2017 US Army APFT Scoring Standards

Actually, while each branch has its own specific standards, all prospective USUHS students have to meet Army standards, which are the strictest. Once you're a student and have commissioned to particular branch, you'll be held to the standards for that branch.

"To be unconditionally accepted, all students must meet the height and weight requirements for the Army, regardless of which service they will enter. The height and weight requirements differ for men and women.
  • For men, height below 60 inches or over 80 inches does not meet the standard.
  • For women, height below 58 inches or over 80 inches does not meet the standard."
More at Uniformed Services University FAQ

Army standards: 2017 US Army APFT Scoring Standards
So is it the army standards for weight, or for the fitness test as well? I've been running 1.5 miles for the air force test, but I think the army is 2 miles.

So is it the army standards for weight, or for the fitness test as well? I've been running 1.5 miles for the air force test, but I think the army is 2 miles.

You won't have to pass a fitness test until you report to your branch-specific training the summer before you begin school. For an unconditional acceptance, you just need to be within height-weight standards (or pass a tape test) and be medically qualified.

I've been in the Navy for a few years and I can say that the physical fitness is a joke. Basically everyone passes the fitness portion. People tend to fail the body composition assessment. If you are outside of the height and weight standards then they will take measurements around your abdomen and neck. That's usually what happens to your thicker, weight-lifter types.

Anyone attending the USUHS Open house? For other military personnel: Are you wearing ASU with Jacket or Class B?

Quick question for those of y'all who have received interview invitations: how long did you wait between submitting your secondary/receiving the file complete notification and receiving your interview invite?

Quick question for those of y'all who have received interview invitations: how long did you wait between submitting your secondary/receiving the file complete notification and receiving your interview invite?
Submitted secondary Jul 1, didnt get any completion email

Submitted secondary Jul 1, didnt get any completion email
Didn't get an e-mail either, but I did confirm with the admissions counselor that they had received my completed secondary and had all my LORs and whatnot.

I've heard that there's some sort of Summer Training Program. Does anybody have any idea on when the Summer Training Program would start?

Submitted my secondary July 10, got an email July 31 regarding a LOR. I wonder when I'll hear a decision about an interview...

1. Military and Public Health Medicine is a calling that is both rewarding and challenging. “America’s Medical School” is looking for the absolute best to serve all military and Public Health Service beneficiaries—service members, retirees, and family members. Please describe your motivation to learn and practice medicine with the U.S. military medical corps and/or the U.S. Public Health Service. (200 words maximum)

2. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine features a distinctive curriculum that meets all of the requirements for a high quality medical degree AND prepares students to be highperforming officers in the medical corps of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force or Public Health Service. Please describe what in your research about our school and/or in your personal or family background attracts you to our institution’s unique mission and approach. (200 words maximum)

3. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine receives far more outstanding applications from potential students than we are able to admit in any given year. Our Admissions Committee likes to assemble classes of students with a diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences and talents to care for our patients—many of whom have overcome impressive challenges while serving our country. Please describe a special quality or experience that will help you relate to our unique population and that will strengthen your class if admitted to “America’s Medical School.” (200 words maximum)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Submitted today!

anyone else trying to lose weight/get in shape for usuhs? lol
I am, lol. I got so excited looking at the height and weight standards for the first time, because I was within the weight for my height. Then I realized it was the standard for men. Then I realized I have to loose 20 pounds.

I am, lol. I got so excited looking at the height and weight standards for the first time, because I was within the weight for my height. Then I realized it was the standard for men. Then I realized I have to loose 20 pounds.
You could do that in a month if you needed to though. Most of it will be water weight, but that doesn't matter.

II just now! Lizzy M 68, submitted secondary 7/2

Reactions: 4 users
II, LM 62 active duty

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users