2017-2018 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received (OOS). Note that you have two weeks to turn it around (rather problematic for me considering I'll be in the wilderness for the next week).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received (OOS). Note that you have two weeks to turn it around (rather problematic for me considering I'll be in the wilderness for the next week).
I thought the deadline is one moth from the date the secondary was received.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received! But yikes not excited for this full 6000 character autobiography

Second-****ing-dary!!!! My stats are super mediocre ...

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received. First UC! Good Luck everyone.

secondary received. deadline is in 1-month! good luck everyone

WOO SECONDARY. First UC. 3.3uGPA, 3.0suGPA, 3.85 SMP, 517 MCAT.

HELL YEAH WHERE MY UPWARD TRENDERS AT.

Tho my application is likely to end here LOL. Lacking research. But the secondary is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received! :)

If anyone is wondering, as other users have mentioned, the secondary is slowing trickling out. Just got mine literally a few minutes ago.

hey two questions, for the "adding additional activity" section, what does it mean "Author of corresponding letter of recommendation" ? I'm not getting a letter from the coordinator of my activity, but should I put her name down as the reference? confusing

also, how rigorous is UCSD's screen? I just found out UCSF gives only 2500 secondaries to 7000 applicants :O

Members don't see this ad :)
just received secondary!
Question on experiences section: do we need to edit our AMCAS activities as they say (hours/week)? I don't see an edit button anywhere but to add a new experience not on AMCAS

@gyngyn @WedgeDawg

Mandatory:
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you’ve done since completing your bachelor’s degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable. (6000 char)

Please select from one of career pathways listed below. In addition to this selection, please provide a brief description of your future career goals: (400 char)

If applicable:
Please describe your interest in the PRIME-HEq program. Topics to include are longitudinal experiences that you’ve had with underserved communities, including the type of community that you’ve worked with and your level of involvement. Additionally, you should discuss the length of time that you’ve spent working in these communities. (4800 char)

Please describe your interest in Global Health. The term Global Health can have many meanings; for our purposes, we find the definition provided by Koplan et. al. in their 2009 Lancet publication useful: “the area of study, research and practice that places a priority on improving health and achieving equity in health for all people worldwide”. In your essay, be sure to describe any personal or professional experiences that have shaped your interests, and how Global Health issues have influenced your decision to pursue a career in medicine. (4800 char)

Please describe your interest in the MAS-Clinical Research program. Topics to include are your previous experience with clinical and/or translational research, your role within the research group, and what you envision for a career that includes clinical and/or translational research. A letter of recommendation from the individual supervising your previous experience is helpful but not required. (4800 char)

If yes, provide details concerning the date and place of arrest, the nature of the offense and the sentence and/or fine imposed: (500 char)

Theres also space to add new meaningful experiences with a 100 char description

Got a secondary, IS, LizzyM 63-65.
Definitely a reach, but hoping for the best!

Got a secondary, IS, LizzyM 63-65.
Definitely a reach, but hoping for the best!

I'm a LizzyM ~64 and just submitted today too. Good luck fam, I'm curious where you end up interviewing at/ get accepted to.

I have a couple questions regarding the secondary:

1) Does anyone know if you apply to the PRIME-HEq program, does it hurt/ help/ do anything to your chances of getting into the regular MD program?
2) Under "new meaningful experience", it says "Author of corresponding letter of recommendation".. Does this mean if you enter a new meaningful experience, that someone NEEDS to send in another letter of recommendation through the whole amcas letter service for it??
3) Is anyone else having issues with their Letters of Rec showing up on their "Applications Status"

Submitted my secondary. Interestingly, we should receive a semi-decision within 2-6 wks, which in my opinion is much better than silence.. See the below email excerpt:

Your file is now in queue to be reviewed by the committee. Depending on the time of year, it can take from 2 – 6 weeks for your file to be reviewed.

After the file has been reviewed, you will be notified of one of three possible decisions:

1. Invited to interview at the UCSD School of Medicine

2. Placed "on hold" for an interview, with a possibility of being invited at a later date. Throughout the application season, candidates that were originally placed "on hold" may be invited to interview at UCSD. Interview scheduling typically runs through the end of February each year.

3. Not invited to interview. Applicants who are not invited to interview will be notified by e-mail that they are no longer under consideration. This notification can occur at any time in the application cycle.​

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted my secondary. Interestingly, we should receive a semi-decision within 2-6 wks, which in my opinion is much better than silence.. See the below email excerpt:

Your file is now in queue to be reviewed by the committee. Depending on the time of year, it can take from 2 – 6 weeks for your file to be reviewed.

After the file has been reviewed, you will be notified of one of three possible decisions:

1. Invited to interview at the UCSD School of Medicine

2. Placed "on hold" for an interview, with a possibility of being invited at a later date. Throughout the application season, candidates that were originally placed "on hold" may be invited to interview at UCSD. Interview scheduling typically runs through the end of February each year.

3. Not invited to interview. Applicants who are not invited to interview will be notified by e-mail that they are no longer under consideration. This notification can occur at any time in the application cycle.​
i submitted yesterday but my lor shows as not complete yet. how long did it take for you to get this updated?

i submitted yesterday but my lor shows as not complete yet. how long did it take for you to get this updated?

I just submitted and my submission email and my completion email came at the exact same time

Weird. I'm in the same boat. Shouldn't they just download the LOR from AMCAS after the secondary is complete?

Does it take a while for this school to upload your letters of recommendations to your file? My premed committee already submitted their letter packet a week ago, but UCSD portal shows that my stuff hasn't been received. Should I reach out to the school or just wait?

Weird. I'm in the same boat. Shouldn't they just download the LOR from AMCAS after the secondary is complete?
My understanding is that they don't download LORs ASAP, they probably wait to download a bunch once a week or something. I'm in the same boat but I know a couple of other schools are like that too, so you might have submitted after they downloaded LORs for the week.

Submitted! That was a long one. Hopefully I get some love despite my LizzyM score :whistle:

is the portal down for anyone else?

Called to ask about LORs as a non-trad. They said they wouldn't doc me for including 6 when they ask for up to 5, but that I should only include 6 if I think they're all really strong / necessary. Leaving this info here for any other folks who might be wondering.

Anyone applying to both PRIME and GHAC? I'm very interested in both and wonder if there are any issues to applying to both.

Just submitted! Hope they enjoy my personal statement 2.0!

Obviously very little overlap but similar themes

My understanding is that they don't download LORs ASAP, they probably wait to download a bunch once a week or something. I'm in the same boat but I know a couple of other schools are like that too, so you might have submitted after they downloaded LORs for the week.

Anyone else still waiting for LORs to update?

Nope... I added my LORs to UCSD via AMCAS yesterday. When I submitted my secondary this morning, my LORs had reached UCSD and I got an email saying my file is complete.

Last edited:
I know for a fact I still have one that needs to be submitted but I still got a file complete email earlier today. They don't even show up on the document status page, should I email them or something? A little confused

anyone willing to read a 6000 character behemoth of an essay? will repay with good vibes and earnest appreciation

Took a while, but I was finally marked completed. I submitted a week ago, I think they pull LORs on a weekly basis from AMCAS, so if it takes longer than say 9-11 days, I would definitely give them a call if you wanted.

secondary submitted! hopefully the wait for interview invites is closer to 2 weeks than 6 haha :)

Secondary submitted! Received 7/20.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited:
Secondary submitted here! The wait begins...

Anyone get an email from UCSD this morning about the fact that their primary had been received? This is curious because I have already been invited to, and completed, the secondary o_O

Anyone get an email from UCSD this morning about the fact that their primary had been received? This is curious because I have already been invited to, and completed, the secondary o_O

Yep, just got it, too. I think the UC email system is a little wonky, a lot of people were not getting the "received" email when expected. I remember people talking about it over on the UC Davis thread, I think.

Darn, I thought that email was going to be for the secondary...