2017-2018 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought it was a secondary too :(

Members don't see this ad.

More info for y'all, including those waiting on a secondary:

Without going into too much detail of WHY this happened, I’ll just say:

If you were invited to submit a secondary in a prior email, you can continue working on the secondary application and trust that whatever your status says is current and correct.

Those that have not yet heard about a secondary invitation, please be patient as we still have not reviewed all files that have come to us from AMCAS.

Yep, just got it, too. I think the UC email system is a little wonky, a lot of people were not getting the "received" email when expected. I remember people talking about it over on the UC Davis thread, I think.
They just sent out another email about it! New system was being dumb :oops:

Edit: didn't see MDinmythirties' response before posting oops.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a secondary on the 20th, but I don't know if I should fill it out. Here is why:

cGPA: 3.81
sGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 510 (129,122,129,130)

As you can see, the 122 in cars will probably make this secondary a waste of time and money. What do you guys think?

I received a secondary on the 20th, but I don't know if I should fill it out. Here is why:

cGPA: 3.81
sGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 510 (129,122,129,130)

As you can see, the 122 in cars will probably make this secondary a waste of time and money. What do you guys think?
whoa, what happened in CARS? have you talked to an advisor about retaking, because a 122 might hold you out from a lot of places. you have otherwise good stats

Has anyone reused stories/points from their AMCAS personal statement at all? I'm trying to incorporate my motivations for pursuing medicine into the autobiography and I feel like there's overlap there...

I received my secondary on the 20th, but I'm still working on my autobiography. When would it be considered "too late" to submit my secondary? (to put my application in disadvantage?)

I received my secondary on the 20th, but I'm still working on my autobiography. When would it be considered "too late" to submit my secondary? (to put my application in disadvantage?)

The "2 weeks" thing is generally just a rule, but since all the UC's have a 30-day deadline from when they send it out to you, I would definitely try to send it in ASAP. From my understanding, "late submissions" are secondaries that are completed in late September/early October, but do realize interview spots start filling up between July and August (depending on the school), so again, get any secondary in and completed ASAP but don't rush it so much that it's poor quality.

Last edited:
Secondary Received at 2:07 pm today! First piece of good news this application cycle.

Last edited:
Anyone having trouble uploading a photo in the "upload photo" section?

Submitted and complete. JEEEEESSSHH atleast its over with. Hopefully I don't get snap rejected my UCSD.

BTW, anyone know the percent of applicants who get a secondary

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming MS1 here; thought I'd stop by and wish you all the best of luck in your respective cycles! Not sure how much help I can be as I'm still learning the ropes but feel free to shoot questions my way. It's hard to concisely state just how phenomenal UCSD is :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone reused stories/points from their AMCAS personal statement at all? I'm trying to incorporate my motivations for pursuing medicine into the autobiography and I feel like there's overlap there...
Looking back, I did my best to avoid reusing specific stories/points from my AMCAS personal statement. That being said, I did hit on a few important life experiences again but I made sure that I had incorporated them to highlight a different characteristic or facet that I wanted to emphasize within the autobiographical narrative. So while it may be fine to reuse stories/points from AMCAS in theory, try to do it in a novel or unique way so it's not just a rehashing of what you've already written (and what they've already read). Easier said than done, I know...

I have a couple questions regarding the secondary:

1) Does anyone know if you apply to the PRIME-HEq program, does it hurt/ help/ do anything to your chances of getting into the regular MD program?
2) Under "new meaningful experience", it says "Author of corresponding letter of recommendation".. Does this mean if you enter a new meaningful experience, that someone NEEDS to send in another letter of recommendation through the whole amcas letter service for it??
3) Is anyone else having issues with their Letters of Rec showing up on their "Applications Status"

1) Can't speak to whether applying to PRIME-HEq in and of itself helps or harms your chances for the regular MD. One of the key points I got from the application process is don't apply to PRIME-HEq just for the sake of increasing one's chances. Instead, apply if you have a deep commitment to improving the health of the underserved AND have experiences to back it up. I applied to PRIME-HEq because I felt that the program's mission aligned perfectly with my own interests, based on my past experiences with the underserved. If it helps, I think the admissions director at UCLA's PRIME program mentioned that he was surprised at the number who apply to PRIME asserting their profound dedication to the underserved, yet have an experience with the underserved dating from June of the application year (see this video at 46:43). Not to say that they're not committed, just that admissions committees wants to have good evidence of it.

Submitted and complete. JEEEEESSSHH atleast its over with. Hopefully I don't get snap rejected my UCSD.

BTW, anyone know the percent of applicants who get a secondary
Don't recall if the percent who get secondaries was ever officially shared. Here are two posts from last year that may help but since they were presumably applicants, trust the estimates as you wish.

anyone willing to read a 6000 character behemoth of an essay? will repay with good vibes and earnest appreciation
Hit me up, if you're still looking for readers.

Anyone applying to both PRIME and GHAC? I'm very interested in both and wonder if there are any issues to applying to both.
I applied to both during the application cycle and there wasn't any issue in that respect. However, if you are accepted to both, you will have to choose only one as you cannot hold onto two 'funded' programs (funded in that you get some financial assistance to defray the additional requirements--Master's for PRIME and international research/clinical rotation for GHAC).

Last edited:
Just received my secondary! I got a 506 on the MCAT but am retaking in two weeks. If I get around the same or worse, will they still see my other score??

Can those of you who received the secondary please also mention the date they received your amcas primary? I would appreciate it :) i have not received the secondary yet but they received my amcas mid-july. I am wondering if I should complete the secondary essays in advance or actually wait since I may not receive one. I am OOS if that matters

Can those of you who received the secondary please also mention the date they received your amcas primary? I would appreciate it :) i have not received the secondary yet but they received my amcas mid-july. I am wondering if I should complete the secondary essays in advance or actually wait since I may not receive one. I am OOS if that matters

AMCAS submitted late June, verified late July, OOS. Secondary was received 7/31!

Edit: I never got the email saying they'd received my primary. I was victim to that system glitch discussed earlier :bucktooth:

AMCAS verified 6/26, got an email notifying their receipt of it 6/30, Secondary received 7/20

I was verified 8/1, and received the secondary today.
sGPA: 4.0 MCAT: 510 IS

AMCAS verified 8/3, secondary received 8/4. OOS MSTP applicant with LizzyM ~73

Last edited:

AMCAS verified 7/28. Received secondary 8/4. IS LM 69

If we have added extra meaningful experiences to the application through the secondary, how should we go about providing them with the recommendation letters for that?

Verified 6/12, received 7/20, IS
GPA: 3.84 / MCAT: 519

If we have added extra meaningful experiences to the application through the secondary, how should we go about providing them with the recommendation letters for that?

This is a good question. I'm providing an update of my research and thinking of just putting a research letter writer who's letter I've already sent. Any other ideas?

hey two questions, for the "adding additional activity" section, what does it mean "Author of corresponding letter of recommendation" ? I'm not getting a letter from the coordinator of my activity, but should I put her name down as the reference? confusing

I have a couple questions regarding the secondary:

2) Under "new meaningful experience", it says "Author of corresponding letter of recommendation".. Does this mean if you enter a new meaningful experience, that someone NEEDS to send in another letter of recommendation through the whole amcas letter service for it??

Sorry for the lateness (only just getting around to submitting my secondary today!), but just in case there are others who are also wondering: I just called their office, and I was told that a corresponding rec letter is NOT required and that putting "N/A" would suffice. :)

Secondary submitted! The Vanderbilt secondary really helped with pre-writing this one. Good luck everybody!

I am OOS and was worried about low acceptances at UCSD, so I didn't originally apply. Do you guys think it is too late now to add it? Also, are there some good threads where students talk about their experience at UCSD? I have mostly looked at comparison threads and the school website. Thanks!

II just now. Received Secondary 7/20. Submitted Secondary 7/21. Completed 7/21. LizzyM 75.

Reactions: 16 users
Congrats!

Will your avatar change to the ARodgers championship belt celebration when you're accepted?

I don't want to jinx it!!!... but either that or my Super Bowl photo

I don't want to jinx it!!!... but either that or my Super Bowl photo

You know, if you were a Tom Brady fan - you'd have so many more options.

:troll:

Reactions: 3 users
I think this information is good for everyone. Each day for II they have 32 people. And so far there are 3 II dates in September (so 32 x 3 = 96). I don't think they would have sent out all 96 II this early, maybe just 16-20 at most.

I think this information is good for everyone. Each day for II they have 32 people. And so far there are 3 II dates in September (so 32 x 3 = 96). I don't think they would have sent out all 96 II this early, maybe just 16-20 at most.
Not like I'm gunna get an II from here. But for reference, what days of the week are the interviews?

Dude, you are killing it, and thanks for the inspiration!

II just now. Received Secondary 7/20. Submitted Secondary 7/21. Completed 7/21. LizzyM 75.
Congrats, Super Bowl MVP and Future Hall of Famer! Every school should welcome you with open arms and full-ride scholarships. Maybe even pay you double your Packers salary for further enticement.

Last edited:
Nice! I submitted 7/21 as well. Hopefully I get a decision soon too. If it wasn't an II today, then I am probably going to be a hold or reject. OOS applicant, so my hopes aren't too high.

Good luck to everyone here. Still very, very early in the cycle - keep grinding on those secondaries!

Reactions: 1 users
submitted. I'm glad to see they get you a decision in 2-6 weeks - anyone know how many people are put on hold and then given an interview?

Anyone applying to both PRIME and GHAC? I'm very interested in both and wonder if there are any issues to applying to both.
Do you mention in the secondary you are interested in prime or did you specify on primary (i.e. md/graduate)?

Thanks! I'm super excited. :)

LizzyM: 70
Secondary Received: 7/20/2017
Secondary Submitted: 7/22/2017
File Complete: 7/27/2017 ... took them a while to download my LORs from AMCAS
II: 8/14/2017 :D

Good luck to you all! :)
It's nice to hear they are keeping up with their 2-6 week promise.

Does anyone know if the review for the PRIME-HEq program is concurrent with the review for regular MD? And anyone know when interview invites start being sent for PRIME-HEq? Thanks!

Does anyone know if the review for the PRIME-HEq program is concurrent with the review for regular MD? And anyone know when interview invites start being sent for PRIME-HEq? Thanks!
Did you mark prime-Heq (MD/graduate) in your primary?