2017-2018 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you mark prime-Heq (MD/graduate) in your primary?

No I didn't! I indicated on the secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the review for the PRIME-HEq program is concurrent with the review for regular MD? And anyone know when interview invites start being sent for PRIME-HEq? Thanks!
I emailed and they said the first PRIME-HEq program is something like Oct. 26th. There are 5 of them through the application cycle

Reactions: 1 users
Do they review GHAC apps separately, or are they considered part of the MD program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same +2. Verified 8/4
+3, secondary received 8am today. I'm pretty surprised! But I'm giving them my $105 anyway. :)

Submitted primary 6/19, verified 7/13, didn't add UCSD until early August though. LizzyM around 70. Super nontrad. Unusual ECs and it sounds like my letters are great, so we shall see!

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Do they review GHAC apps separately, or are they considered part of the MD program?
GHAC is part of the MD program. In terms of review: based on last cycle's correspondence, they reviewed GHAC applications after UCSD's final interview date and then emailed out GHAC-specific status updates/interview invites in early March.

Edited: yes, according to here, MD decisions are made independent of GHAC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know or have theories on how they screen?

I received a secondary on the 20th, but I don't know if I should fill it out. Here is why:

cGPA: 3.81
sGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 510 (129,122,129,130)

As you can see, the 122 in cars will probably make this secondary a waste of time and money. What do you guys think?
Are you retaking the MCAT? Your GPA is so good, but a 122 cars will definitely put you at disadvantage (compared to what your GPA can get you into of course).
As for send in the secondary or not, I would say send in if money is not an issue. It's still early in the cycle. Good luck!

I haven't seen any rejections yet but how strict are they with the 2-6 week decision post-secondary? 6 week mark is here for early July secondaries so just curious

I haven't seen any rejections yet but how strict are they with the 2-6 week decision post-secondary? 6 week mark is here for early July secondaries so just curious
I think the first batch of secondaries went out around 7/20.

First screened secondary! verified yesterday

Can you apply for PRIME and the MAS in Clinical Research?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSD's Admissions is super responsive:

I had a letter received in AMCAS on 08/02 but checked the UCSD portal today on 08/17 and saw that my letters hadn't been received and my app was still incomplete. Sent an email to them and they manually changed it in 5 minutes. Email received that app is complete 08/17!

Gotta say this was one of the better experiences I've had with the whole process :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey UCSD, its been 2 weeks. Can I please get an II?:)

Presumably, yes.

Not sure if you can answer this question, but when we apply to these programs, such as PRIME or MAS, should we change our AMCAS indication from "Regular MD" to "Combined"? I was going to but the only options are MS, MA, MPA, and MPH, which neither of PRIME or MAS is. I emailed admissions but haven't heard back. Thanks in advance!

Not sure if you can answer this question, but when we apply to these programs, such as PRIME or MAS, should we change our AMCAS indication from "Regular MD" to "Combined"? I was going to but the only options are MS, MA, MPA, and MPH, which neither of PRIME or MAS is. I emailed admissions but haven't heard back. Thanks in advance!
MAS is an MS!

MAS is an MS!

Please forgive my ignorance, but doesn't MAS stand for Master of Advanced Studies? Unless you mean that MAS is categorized under MS? If that's the case, should I change my primary app from "Regular MD" to "Combined, MS" then?

For PRIME or GHAC (at least for last year), you selected "Regular MD" on AMCAS, and then designated your specific interest by essays on the secondary. Unfortunately, I can't speak to the MAS/Master's in Clinical Research as I didn't apply to it. I remember an MAS-specific essay question on the secondary, but I'd wait to hear back from the MD admissions office and/or contact the MAS program directly.

Please forgive my ignorance, but doesn't MAS stand for Master of Advanced Studies? Unless you mean that MAS is categorized under MS? If that's the case, should I change my primary app from "Regular MD" to "Combined, MS" then?
According to their website, it looks like although it's a Master's degree, it's formally an MAS in Clinical Research.

For PRIME or GHAC (at least for last year), you selected "Regular MD" on AMCAS, and then designated your specific interest by essays on the secondary. Unfortunately, I can't speak to the MAS/Master's in Clinical Research as I didn't apply to it. I remember an MAS-specific essay question on the secondary, but I'd wait to hear back from the MD admissions office and/or contact the MAS program directly.

According to their website, it looks like although it's a Master's degree, it's formally an MAS in Clinical Research.

Just sent another email to MAS program. Thanks for the suggestion.

After holding onto this secondary for ~3 weeks and after writing and re-writing my autobiography numerous times, I have finally submitted! Now to hoping for the best :xf:

Reactions: 2 users
maybe one day I'll get a secondary...

Any bets for if UCSD will hold to their 2-6 weeks turnaround claim. I'm in the middle of week 5, submitted day after 1st wave of secondaries. Though I'm probably in the middle of a huge first wave of completed apps.

When I got the email that UCSD received my AMCAS application, they said they'd notify us in 1-8 weeks. If 8 weeks pass and I haven't gotten a secondary does that mean I am probably rejected?

When I got the email that UCSD received my AMCAS application, they said they'd notify us in 1-8 weeks. If 8 weeks pass and I haven't gotten a secondary does that mean I am probably rejected?
Give them a call. They sent me a secondary after. I think it just got lost in the review process.

Give them a call. They sent me a secondary after. I think it just got lost in the review process.
Thanks :) Just wondering, what exactly did you ask them when you called? Something like, "Hi it's been 8 weeks I'm wondering if I'm still under consideration for a secondary?"

Under my status, i have a green check mark for "letters received," but under the Document status, there are no letters received listed there. Is this the case for anyone else?/does this mean my letters did not get sent or can i assume that they have the letters i submitted on AMCAS but theyre just not under the document section?

Under my status, i have a green check mark for "letters received," but under the Document status, there are no letters received listed there. Is this the case for anyone else?/does this mean my letters did not get sent or can i assume that they have the letters i submitted on AMCAS but theyre just not under the document section?

I had the same thing but then got a complete email confirming they had everything. Letter receipt still doesn't show up in the application.

I had the same question but don't worry they have them. I emailed the admissions office and they told me how many letters I had on file the next day!

II as well! Does anybody know the acceptance/interview rate here?

II as well! Does anybody know the acceptance/interview rate here?
Did you have a three digit number after your name in your II e-mail?? Mine said 720 so I'm wondering if that correlates with anything.

Last edited:
Question about secondary - should it be tailored to UCSD? I know for MD/PhD, you need to comment specifically about why UCSD is right for your training, but not sure if the same is recommended for MD only. Thanks for advice!

Question about secondary - should it be tailored to UCSD? I know for MD/PhD, you need to comment specifically about why UCSD is right for your training, but not sure if the same is recommended for MD only. Thanks for advice!
I personally think it would be a bit cheesy to give your life story and then try to weave in "why UCSD" at the end. That is my opinion, though.

I would say it is unnecessary given the prompt. Maybe someone with an II might prove me otherwise?

I gave a brief "why UCSD" at the end of mine.

I did not tailor my essay to UCSD, nor did I write a "why UCSD" paragraph at the end.