2017-2018 University of Connecticut

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Chances of an interview with an out of state applicant? Been completed since the beginning of Aug and still radio silence....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Chances of an interview with an out of state applicant? Been completed since the beginning of Aug and still radio silence....
CT resident here, UConn undergrad, and UConn master's degree also with silence since July.. :cryi:

Reactions: 1 users
Just a heads up starting the new year 1st years will be doing all the interviews/tours. The Second Look Date has been set for Friday/Sat March 9-10. In addition, we are in the process of setting up the new 2022 admitted students FB page.

For those waiting to interview/hearing back hang in there! I can confirm that there are interview dates scheduled up until April, however I can't guarantee what is scheduled will actually happen

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? Also, did the admissions director say that you should expect to hear now?

Thank you! I really loved the program at UConn, so I'm really excited about this.

GPA 3.82, sGPA 3.86 MCAT 523

I wasn't expecting to hear back this early--they said by the end of December during my interview day. Does that answer the question?

IS, Waitlisted, but I loved loved UCONN so I'm praying for some good news in the spring......the only thing really holding me back (as I believe) is my low-ish MCAT

IS, Waitlisted, but I loved loved UCONN so I'm praying for some good news in the spring......the only thing really holding me back (as I believe) is my low-ish MCAT

Sorry to hear, but good luck in the spring! Can I ask when you interviewed?

Can anyone comment on how long their portal status read "In Committee" after interviewing (or how long it took to change post-interview)? My status changed to that on 12/15 but their winter break begins on 12/18 so I doubt they are actually reviewing apps...I know I'm being neurotic and impatient but I can't help but wonder and thought I'd ask you lovely folks.

Edited: wording

Can anyone comment on how long their portal status read "In Committee" after interviewing (or how long it took to change post-interview)? My status changed to that on 12/15 but their winter break begins on 12/18 so I doubt they are actually reviewing apps...I know I'm being neurotic and impatient but I can't help but wonder and thought I'd ask you lovely folks.

Edited: wording

I interviewed on 12/4, it changed to "in committee" on the 5 or 6th. I heard back by email on the 14th, but the portal didn't change to acceptance for another day or two after that, maybe the 16th or 17th.

No more questions? Student interviewer here as an addn'l resource
Do you have any idea when more interviews are going out? Also I know UConn doesn't accept updates (sad) so is it really just a waiting game with UConn until a rejection or II?? I went to UConnfor undergrad and my masters and I just want them to love me like I love them

Do you have any idea when more interviews are going out? Also I know UConn doesn't accept updates (sad) so is it really just a waiting game with UConn until a rejection or II?? I went to UConnfor undergrad and my masters and I just want them to love me like I love them
They send them out in small batches only a few weeks before the interview date. Each interview day (Fridays) I think there are only 8-10 students so not many invites are being sent out altogether. I believe invitations will be sent out until late March-early April so there is plenty of time left. I was a late interviewer myself & I think the largest lesson to take away from this arduous cycle is that patience is a very important skill to have as this is a long and arduous career path. Good luck and please ask any more Q's you may have.

and after my worrying earlier in the week, II this morning!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
accepted yesterday! received email 11:30am, interview 12/8, LM = 72, OOS but from NE

I know they don't accept update letters, but has anyone sent update letters/letters of intent anyway? I'm not sure if I sent one, if that would just come off as unprofessional

I know they don't accept update letters, but has anyone sent update letters/letters of intent anyway? I'm not sure if I sent one, if that would just come off as unprofessional
I sent one anyway to the admissions email and got a "we don't accept updates" email back... then got an II about 6 weeks later. Not sure if the two are related though

I sent one anyway to the admissions email and got a "we don't accept updates" email back... then got an II about 6 weeks later. Not sure if the two are related though
Yeah they don’t accept an update BEFORE your interview, but they ask you to send an update within one week of the interview, for the “admissions committee”.

II today! In state, LM ~71, complete 8/14.

Last edited:
II today! IS, LM 67ish, complete early September

The interview is for Monday bc of a cancellation and when i called and asked for an alternative date, they said the next available was march

II today too for end of the month!

II just now for early Feb. Complete mid-July, LM~75, OOS

II just now. I was wondering if anyone would be able to answer a few questions about the new curriculum? Specifically about TBL, can anyone comment on how often the groups meet and what their attendance policy is like?

II just now. I was wondering if anyone would be able to answer a few questions about the new curriculum? Specifically about TBL, can anyone comment on how often the groups meet and what their attendance policy is like?
So we only spend a few hours a week in "class" every week. Attendance is mandatory and you need to electronically "sign in" for CORE and VITALS. We only have TBL groups for CORE and VITALS, but you will be placed into a regular group for DOCC and Clinical Home. Normally we have our "CORE" three days a week for two hours each session. These sessions consist of essentially 30 mins of testing (individual quiz, then team quiz) followed by 1.5 hours of application exercises. We have "VITALS" one day a week for 2 hours with the same format as above. Anatomy exists two days a week for two hours, normally one session in HAL (human anatomy lab/cadaver dissection) and one in VAL (virtual anatomy lab/diagnostic imaging/histo). DOCC is a classroom/clinical application course which is one day a week for about four hours. Outside of the classroom, we have to visit our CLIC site once a week (4-5 hours) and our Clinical Home site once a week (4-5 hours). The individual schedule is highly variable depending on what learning community you get placed in. Time on campus would depend on how closely your classes are scheduled and how evenly they are spread out over the week. Nearly all of the learning objectives are self-study outside of class.

So we only spend a few hours a week in "class" every week. Attendance is mandatory and you need to electronically "sign in" for CORE and VITALS. We only have TBL groups for CORE and VITALS, but you will be placed into a regular group for DOCC and Clinical Home. Normally we have our "CORE" three days a week for two hours each session. These sessions consist of essentially 30 mins of testing (individual quiz, then team quiz) followed by 1.5 hours of application exercises. We have "VITALS" one day a week for 2 hours with the same format as above. Anatomy exists two days a week for two hours, normally one session in HAL (human anatomy lab/cadaver dissection) and one in VAL (virtual anatomy lab/diagnostic imaging/histo). DOCC is a classroom/clinical application course which is one day a week for about four hours. Outside of the classroom, we have to visit our CLIC site once a week (4-5 hours) and our Clinical Home site once a week (4-5 hours). The individual schedule is highly variable depending on what learning community you get placed in. Time on campus would depend on how closely your classes are scheduled and how evenly they are spread out over the week. Nearly all of the learning objectives are self-study outside of class.

Thank you for the in depth answer!

Can you comment on the resources you are given/told to buy in order to self-study? Are they useful or have you had to find your own external sources to feel prepared for the quizzes?

Nearly all of the learning objectives are self-study outside of class.

Are there any lecturing professors? Who teaches the material? I'm confused because I've heard a lot about the TBL aspects of the curriculum...but does TBL replace the more traditional organ system style lectures that are given by various professors, or is it in addition to lecture?

Thanks for answering our questions.

Can you comment on the resources you are given/told to buy in order to self-study? Are they useful or have you had to find your own external sources to feel prepared for the quizzes?
During orientation the upperclassmen provide you with a link to a google drive with every book/resource on it that you will ever need or hope for. I bought a few books but it was only because I personally prefer hard copies.

Are there any lecturing professors? Who teaches the material? I'm confused because I've heard a lot about the TBL aspects of the curriculum...but does TBL replace the more traditional organ system style lectures that are given by various professors, or is it in addition to lecture?

Thanks for answering our questions.
We have only had one traditional "lecture" similar to what you are used to in undergrad. Essentially each we learn all the material beforehand (most teams divide objectives fairly among the group members and contribute to a common note document which we all get access to), and than apply it with practice problems in controlled settings with "content experts" present to clarify topics. It doesn't matter what organ system it is, we will get "learning objectives" for it with the resources to use to find the answers and then we are expected to know all of the learning objectives upon coming to class and your team mates actually rely on it.

I was complete in mid August but have heard nothing from UCONN since, do they silent reject or am I still in the running?

stats: OOS, ORM, 511, 3.72

II earlier today OOS, dates avaliable as early as next week.

Nice! Still hoping for an II over here. I was complete in late August with a 66 LM.
I have heard that they interview into March and it seems as though II are sent the week before the interview actually occurs. Don't lose hope yet!!

No more questions? Student interviewer here as an addn'l resource
I have a question about Stage 2 & 3 of the curriculum. Do you know if all clinical experiences have to be within UConn's Affiliated Hospitals and Clinical Sites or can students rotate elsewhere (other SOM programs in the U.S./abroad)?

Thanks!

How long did it take for most people to hear back post interview??

Yo, is anyone else getting a notification of an unsecure site when trying to access the portal?

Yo, is anyone else getting a notification of an unsecure site when trying to access the portal?

The security certificate expired. You can click through it, you just have to acknowledge you understand that it may be unsafe.

Accepted just now! Interviewed on 1/19. I'm absolutely ecstatic! (I may have screamed a little when I saw the email. Several coworkers came down the hall to make sure I was okay. That's what you get when you work with a bunch of EMTs and paramedics!)

Reactions: 6 users
do they accept updates and/ or in the area emails?