2017-2018 University of Connecticut

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That sucks.. I'm sorry to hear. I got rejected at my top choice a couple weeks ago, and it definitely still hurts to think about but I promise it gets better as long as you try to stay positive about the rest of your school list. Would you mind elaborating on why you think they rejected you? If not, thats cool. Best of luck for the future!
I'm not quite sure why. I have a pretty good app and I thought the interview went really well. My interviewer told me afterward that I should have no problem getting accepted. I don't know. It's alright though. Thanks for the support; I'm staying positive. This was the first of many, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I think I was in your interview group! It was super low-key, and all the other applicants were a joy to be around, it seems like they pick people with really interesting backgrounds.

nwas

Yup, October 23! They told us at the end that we would hear back mid November.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted earlier today, in state, interviewed 10/16

So i was reading the uconn applications process and it states that the committee proceeds cautiously and conservatively in the earlier months. So does this mean that candidates interviewed earlier are held to a higher standard than those interviewed later? That seems counter-intuitive to the idea of rolling admissions. But can anyone shed any insight into this?

Members don't see this ad :)
So i was reading the uconn applications process and it states that the committee proceeds cautiously and conservatively in the earlier months. So does this mean that candidates interviewed earlier are held to a higher standard than those interviewed later? That seems counter-intuitive to the idea of rolling admissions. But can anyone shed any insight into this?

Maybe this means in terms of inviting al the high stat people first for interviews? I at looked last years thread it seems like bulk of the II are in the winter

Maybe this means in terms of inviting al the high stat people first for interviews? I at looked last years thread it seems like bulk of the II are in the winter
I just read the excerpt, what you said seems to make more sense but you can never be too sure.

for people who paid their deposit, did you get a confirmation email? i got one that says "Thank you for submitting your technical standards sign off." but i want to make sure that means they got my deposit as well.

for people who paid their deposit, did you get a confirmation email? i got one that says "Thank you for submitting your technical standards sign off." but i want to make sure that means they got my deposit as well.
Nah, it was kinda troubling. Had a question for admissions so I asked about it after I asked my initial question and they said so long as you have paid you are good and won't get an email.

Didn’t get an email but my portal changed to “confirmed acceptance”

Alternate list. It’s a bummer to have to wait longer for a decision, but I️t feels good to stay in the running. Is anybody aware of how the wait list works here, what the timeline for hearing back will be like, and if we are allowed to send additional updates to the admissions committee?

Hi again, OOSer with super super super strong ties to CT, I have noticed from
previous years that they do OOS IIs later in the cycle which is fine. But do you guys think they would like an update on me? I got a new second job working for the hearing impaired which I am finding rewarding. But not sure if that matters.

Cross your fingers for me. My grandma used to tell me when I was a toddler I was going to grow up and be a Husky. :(

Alternate list. It’s a bummer to have to wait longer for a decision, but I️t feels good to stay in the running. Is anybody aware of how the wait list works here, what the timeline for hearing back will be like, and if we are allowed to send additional updates to the admissions committee?
From what I've seen in past threads, they rank the alternates later in the cycle (March maybe?) - so if you receive high rank, you've got a good shot. It looks like it doesn't start moving until April when everyone has to make their decisions. I'm alternate list too, so we're in this long haul together!

From what I've seen in past threads, they rank the alternates later in the cycle (March maybe?) - so if you receive high rank, you've got a good shot. It looks like it doesn't start moving until April when everyone has to make their decisions. I'm alternate list too, so we're in this long haul together!
Fingers crossed for both of us...Hoping for the best but planning for the worst. Do you think that being alternates earlier in the cycle is better than later?

Hi again, OOSer with super super super strong ties to CT, I have noticed from
previous years that they do OOS IIs later in the cycle which is fine. But do you guys think they would like an update on me? I got a new second job working for the hearing impaired which I am finding rewarding. But not sure if that matters.

Cross your fingers for me. My grandma used to tell me when I was a toddler I was going to grow up and be a Husky. :(
I was actually looking the other day at a bunch of schools for updates and I have written down in my excel spreadsheet that UConn doesn't take updates. I don't remember specifically where I saw it. Perhaps an FAQ page on their website? Don't quote me on it but I def wouldn't have put that down if they accepted updates. I'm disappointed -- OOS with very strong ties as well.

Congrats to all those accepted people today!!

In State. interviewed 10/30. Wait listed.. Not sure how many they take from the wait listed. Is wait listed get cleared as the rolling admission progresses.? Any idea how many from wait listed get absorbed at the end.? Any info is appreciated.

In State. interviewed 10/30. Wait listed.. Not sure how many they take from the wait listed. Is wait listed get cleared as the rolling admission progresses.? Any idea how many from wait listed get absorbed at the end.? Any info is appreciated.
Same here buddy, buckle up because it's a long process. It looks like they rank the waitlist in March when they are done handing out admissions. You can send them any updates and/or Letters of Intent before this time. After that they will start pulling from the waitlist as space permits (theoretically) all the way until classes start. I don't know about how many get pulled, and what your chances are however.

II today. submitted 7/17, LM =72, OOS w/strong ties, beyond ecstatic, can someone briefly explain the interview day here?

II today. submitted 7/17, LM =72, OOS w/strong ties, beyond ecstatic, can someone briefly explain the interview day here?

Sure! The day starts with a welcome/orientation session, an activity, financial aid information, two one-on-one interviews (one with faculty and one with student - both weighted equally), lunch and a tour with current M2s.

My advice would be to try and eat a decent breakfast cause it's a long morning. Other than that, everyone is very nice and I thought the day was pretty relaxed (as relaxed as an interview for Med school can be, right?)

Reactions: 2 users
Current MS1. Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those waiting to hear back or on the WL!! It's never over until its over. Lmk if u have any questions about UConn as u make tough decisions these next few months!

Reactions: 4 users
Current MS1. Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those waiting to hear back or on the WL!! It's never over until its over. Lmk if u have any questions about UConn as u make tough decisions these next few months!
So helpful man. Thanks! YUM!!

OOS, loose ties, GPA 3.9, MCAT 513, LM 70.5, submitted 8/1

Do you think I could still have a chance to receive an II? This is one of the schools I really want to hear back from.. I don't know how far ahead they schedule interviews

OOS, loose ties, GPA 3.9, MCAT 513, LM 70.5, submitted 8/1

Do you think I could still have a chance to receive an II? This is one of the schools I really want to hear back from.. I don't know how far ahead they schedule interviews
Usually 2 weeks before the interview, and yes you stand a good chance at still getting an II based on last years data!

For anyone asking if UConn accepts updates, I just tried to send one in and was told they don't accept them. Had to try lol

Any other Q's? Current M1 here
Kind of an unusual question, but I'm a pre-dent who just got 6 acceptances (Dec 1 is the first day they can tell us), and UCONN is one of my top 2 (our residencies looove UConn and the price point is amazing for dental school)

My worry is that UConn students seemed really stressed compared to my other top choice, Columbia (trust me, in dental world this is a close call). At both schools, med/dent share didactic class, so I'm trying to collect all the data I can (even from you guys if possible) to make a wise decision but quickly (tired of the whole process - would rather just have a home next year).

How do you guys feel about the stress level? How do you like the curriculum? Do you notice any difference in the dental kids' attitude?

Thanks in advance.

Kind of an unusual question, but I'm a pre-dent who just got 6 acceptances (Dec 1 is the first day they can tell us), and UCONN is one of my top 2 (our residencies looove UConn and the price point is amazing for dental school)

My worry is that UConn students seemed really stressed compared to my other top choice, Columbia (trust me, in dental world this is a close call). At both schools, med/dent share didactic class, so I'm trying to collect all the data I can (even from you guys if possible) to make a wise decision but quickly (tired of the whole process - would rather just have a home next year).

How do you guys feel about the stress level? How do you like the curriculum? Do you notice any difference in the dental kids' attitude?

Thanks in advance.

Current MS1. In terms of stress level I'm surprised you said UConn students are stressed. In general, because it is strictly P/F (pass usually a 65) there is very low to no competition among students and everyone is collaborative. I would say most of my classmates are not overly stressed. Med/dental school is different than undergrad but totally doable.

The only thing I can think of is the dental students sometimes question taking the same classes as med students. In general they tend to complain more about learning stuff that isn't relevant to their future practice which is understandable... but historic residency placements speaks for this unique aspect of UConn. For example first block there was complaining by dental students during anatomy dissection and learning to do full patient physicals. Speaking very generally dental students tend to be more relaxed, outgoing, and chill compared to med students. Dental students just need to pass class the first 2 years at a minimum while med students have Step 1, research, etc always looming in the background. In terms of the new curriculum you very much have to be proactive and study ahead for all classes. This forces you to keep up everyday. I can't speak how effective the curriculum is because this is only year 2, we will see this spring how it affects Step 1 score. My prediction is that step 1 averages will stay the same as its the student not the school that gets a good score

Current MS1. In terms of stress level I'm surprised you said UConn students are stressed. In general, because it is strictly P/F (pass usually a 65) there is very low to no competition among students and everyone is collaborative. I would say most of my classmates are not overly stressed. Med/dental school is different than undergrad but totally doable.

The only thing I can think of is the dental students sometimes question taking the same classes as med students. In general they tend to complain more about learning stuff that isn't relevant to their future practice which is understandable... but historic residency placements speaks for this unique aspect of UConn. For example first block there was complaining by dental students during anatomy dissection and learning to do full patient physicals. Speaking very generally dental students tend to be more relaxed, outgoing, and chill compared to med students. Dental students just need to pass class the first 2 years at a minimum while med students have Step 1, research, etc always looming in the background. In terms of the new curriculum you very much have to be proactive and study ahead for all classes. This forces you to keep up everyday. I can't speak how effective the curriculum is because this is only year 2, we will see this spring how it affects Step 1 score. My prediction is that step 1 averages will stay the same as its the student not the school that gets a good score
Thank you!

I didn't mean stressed in a bad way. Just like you say, everyone seemed happy, friendly, and the p/f seems to suck all the gunning out of the room, which is great.

It's just that at Columbia people would talk about being able to (for example) have down time on Saturday, whereas at UConn, that seemed to be out of the question.

On the other hand, I've also heard that the brand new system is less stressful and more flexible than what the upper years went through.

Thank you!

I didn't mean stressed in a bad way. Just like you say, everyone seemed happy, friendly, and the p/f seems to suck all the gunning out of the room, which is great.

It's just that at Columbia people would talk about being able to (for example) have down time on Saturday, whereas at UConn, that seemed to be out of the question.

On the other hand, I've also heard that the brand new system is less stressful and more flexible than what the upper years went through.
You definitely have time to hang out. In fact, the first 7 weeks of the 10 week block I feel like I had a good amount of free time on the weekends. The last few weeks of the block is when your trying to study as much as possible. There are some people that study all the time, some people scrap by every night, and most fall in between. A majority of students pass the block exams (if I had to guess it exceeds 95%) which means no summer remediation. tbh I can't imagine UConn students are significantly more or less busy than Coumbia students

YES, tuition covers a school laptop!! Everyone is required to have this laptop because it has all the programs/lockdown browser on it. You can still use your personal laptop 99% of the time and the school laptop for test taking

Same here buddy, buckle up because it's a long process. It looks like they rank the waitlist in March when they are done handing out admissions. You can send them any updates and/or Letters of Intent before this time. After that they will start pulling from the waitlist as space permits (theoretically) all the way until classes start. I don't know about how many get pulled, and what your chances are however.

Last edited:
Accepted just now! OOS interviewed 12/4