2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Did you see any IS? My hopes are almost dead.
Ya there was at least one but maybe another. I estimate that for every post on here there's at least 5-10 IRL people in the same situation. Not sure how true it holds for WL but I think it held up pretty well for rejections
 
Is it required that we withdraw from any WL's that we're on in order to reapply for the next application cycle? If so, then those still hanging on the WL by then would be "moved up" on the list due to people withdrawing, right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it required that we withdraw from any WL's that we're on in order to reapply for the next application cycle? If so, then those still hanging on the WL by then would be "moved up" on the list due to people withdrawing, right?

I want to say that a reapplication will have no connection to your current waitlists, as they are for different classes. Fire an email to admissions, though, if you need to be sure.
 
Is it required that we withdraw from any WL's that we're on in order to reapply for the next application cycle? If so, then those still hanging on the WL by then would be "moved up" on the list due to people withdrawing, right?
I don’t think so. If that was the case, we wouldn’t be seeing all the posts in July about people who already submitted their new app but then got off the WL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Posting for the first time to let you know that I withdrew my acceptance today! IS and had been passed over for acceptance all 4 times until I got off the waitlist on 5/1. Good luck everyone!
*praying to all that is holy*
:angelic::angelic:

Sorry, I tried DM'ing you for privacy but it didn't work, but do you mind sharing M/F, ORM/URM? Totally, totally understand if not. I honestly should smack myself for being this neurotic on a three-day weekend. Anywho, I sincerely hope everyone's getting some relaxation and outdoors time for Memorial Day! Keepin' fingers crossed for some movement this week!
 
Last edited:
*praying to all that is holy*
:angelic::angelic:

Sorry, I tried DM'ing you for privacy but it didn't work, but do you mind sharing M/F, ORM/URM? Totally, totally understand if not. I honestly should smack myself for being this neurotic on a three-day weekend. Anywho, I sincerely hope everyone's getting some relaxation and outdoors time for Memorial Day! Keepin' fingers crossed for some movement this week!

Yeah no worries! F and I guess ORM. Hope you guys get some good news this week but in the meantime go enjoy your long weekend lol
 
Lots of rain and nasty weather here so I made this google spreadsheet to note SDN waitlist movement for VCU if anyone's interested... it reflects IS/OOS/Unsure acceptances off the waitlist, and I noted acceptance withdrawals as well. Disclaimer: I can make mistakes, and things obviously happen off SDN. Hope this gives those waiting a better idea of what we workin' with.
 
Lots of rain and nasty weather here so I made this google spreadsheet to note SDN waitlist movement for VCU if anyone's interested... it reflects IS/OOS/Unsure acceptances off the waitlist, and I noted acceptance withdrawals as well. Disclaimer: I can make mistakes, and things obviously happen off SDN. Hope this gives those waiting a better idea of what we workin' with.
This is interesting. By reporting standards, more people have reported getting in on sdn this year than last so either the list is really moving faster (contrary to the WL movement is slow this year trope) or less people got in /reported getting in last year
 
Another week has gone by with not much to show in terms of acceptances. I’m wondering if we should be expecting more to be handed out next week
 
So are we expecting some movement starting tomorrow or what?

I sure hope so! I’m so stressed out!

I’m wondering if like others have said, they did a much better job of protecting their yield and that’s why there hasn’t been as much movement on here. I always thought that they only accepted the exact size of their class but maybe they over accepted? Either way I’m hoping that we’ll see some more movement this week. Historically it seems like 75% of the waitlist gets off so hopefully that stays true!
 
Is it to early to start asking Admissions about our spot on the waitlist?
They won’t tell you. They won’t even confirm how many people are on the list lol. Feel free to try your luck though. Maybe you can pry more info

Last I called they said there’s still decent movement and the class is alternating being full to having open spots so there’s still hope!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starting to get nervous and lose hope 🙁 ...... Maybe VCU is just too good so less people are withdrawing.
Either that or they did a much better job at protecting their yield compared to past years. Or people are taking forever to make a decision to drop/accept
 
Either that or they did a much better job at protecting their yield compared to past years. Or people are taking forever to make a decision to drop/accept
I remember someone on the committee mentioning on here that VCU was decreasing their class size this year...last year had over 200 but this year they are keeping it around 180 or 190. I can’t remember the exact number.
 
I remember someone on the committee mentioning on here that VCU was decreasing their class size this year...last year had over 200 but this year they are keeping it around 180 or 190. I can’t remember the exact number.
Ya I think it went from 216 to 185. I still find it kinda hard to believe they retained most of those people though
 
How strict is their 503 MCAT pre-secondary screen? Will they look pass that if someone is on borderline? is it a computer auto-screen?
 
How strict is their 503 MCAT pre-secondary screen? Will they look pass that if someone is on borderline? is it a computer auto-screen?
.
I’m not 100% sure, but I believe it is a mix of computer auto-screen and actually reviewing someone’s application.
 
Are most people planning to go to the financial aid workshop? I haven't been able to find much information on it and it would be a pretty long drive for me so I am trying to decide if it's worth it.
 
Has anyone in general gotten in lately? For a school that supposedly gets half it's final class from the waitlist, it's been awfully quiet.
 
I'm not sure if this is true anymore, seeing as how they made lots of changes to their class size this year 🙁
They cut it down by around 30 but even before the INOVA relationship, they still had a large chunk of their class come in from the waitlist
 
They cut the class size down, but they also cut the amount of interviews down. So the change in class size should not affect the percentage of people who get in off the waitlist.
Yup and I really feel like the msar is right and there’s only around a 100 people in the waitlist so in actuality our chances should be really good
 
Out of curiosity, how many people do you all think have withdrawn from the Waitlist at this point?
It would be nice to know how many are even on the list. there’s 460ish of us that are probably on the list since vcu isn’t know for its post II rejections. I’d estimate around 30-60 people were rejected post II but I don’t know what the other option would be for the 400 or so people left besides being on the waitlist.

I’m wondering if everyone’s holding out on a waitlist spot thus all the waitlists are moving slower this year. I wouldn’t count on many withdrawals
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else wondering if there's a reporting bias here. Last I called, admissions said the WL has been moving yet we see nothing on here
 
Ya people were pulled off last week and the person said they're people pulled off even days before orientation starts
Well that's hopeful news! Thanks for letting the rest of us know! I've heard of people being pulled off the last second as well so I'm just hoping more of us hear back sooner than later.