2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does ACOM end interview in March, or later? On hold here after secondary, and getting very nervous.

Over the past several years, they have not ended their interview season in March. They usually end it in May.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who interviewed 12/7, has anyone heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing here on Monday. Any idea how long it takes to hear back after? I have a deposit due at another school and I’m hoping to hear back from ACOM ASAP.

Interviewing here on Monday. Any idea how long it takes to hear back after? I have a deposit due at another school and I’m hoping to hear back from ACOM ASAP.
I think they take about a week to 10 days. It may be longer due to the holiday season.

I interviewed on 12/07 and Mr. Willis told us we could hear back as early as today (5 days) and as late as 2 weeks...

Any word on a possible reduction in mandatory attendance after this year? That seems to be the trend with ACOM.
in case no one has answered you, there are rumors that the attendance policy will decrease next year too.

Reactions: 1 users
in case no one has answered you, there are rumors that the attendance policy will decrease next year too.
wait really, how likely/true is this?!?!whre are you hearing this from........ this would make my decision to go here over another school :oops:

ACCEPTED! got the call yesterday at 4 CST

Reactions: 2 users
wait really, how likely/true is this?!?!whre are you hearing this from........ this would make my decision to go here over another school :oops:
I have heard the "rumor" that attendance will be decreased from a couple of students as well as from someone on the admin staff. They won't confirm anything of course, but I would say it's a safe bet that attendance will decrease. Personally, I'm hoping it becomes entirely optional but that is wishful thinking.

Ok deposit is due the 14 at end of the day, would that be at midnight or 5pm?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's likely midnight simply because all they said was end of day, not end of business day or an actual time. Regardless, I paid mine just now! Didn't want to take any chances lol
Haha good idea. Better safe than sorry. Are you going to ACOM or paying for assurance?
My interview experience was great and they made ACOM sound very student focused. They try to be innovative with trying new things each year, but the school is in the middle of no where and they’re new. It’s the only acceptances I have though so I should just be grateful

Haha good idea. Better safe than sorry. Are you going to ACOM or paying for assurance?
My interview experience was great and they made ACOM sound very student focused. They try to be innovative with trying new things each year, but the school is in the middle of no where and they’re new. It’s the only acceptances I have though so I should just be grateful

Yeah they are new, but not too new (at least they've graduated some classes) and pretty much hit the ground running with some pretty solid rotations and from my not-too-informed perusal of the match list, it seems good. I'm still waiting on 2 schools for decisions, so as of now its ACOM baby! Try not to overthink it, you can always find faults with any school really. You got in!! A lot of qualified applicants fall through the cracks each cycle with not even an II, so keep on the bright side!

Reactions: 4 users

I have heard the "rumor" that attendance will be decreased from a couple of students as well as from someone on the admin staff. They won't confirm anything of course, but I would say it's a safe bet that attendance will decrease. Personally, I'm hoping it becomes entirely optional but that is wishful thinking.

Yeah I have heard it from other students and also a faculty member or two. They seem to be realizing that students do better when they can make more decisions about their own schedule. As it stands though, I haven't been too upset about the attendance policy. I wish it was a bit less but I still get to miss a reasonable amount of classes so I can sleep in a couple times when I need it or if something else comes up. If you liked everything else about the school, I wouldn't let attendance hinder you especially since it seems very likely to change.

Heads up to anyone that's scheduled for an interview there were a few cancels and some earlier spot are available when I checked today.

Heads up to anyone that's scheduled for an interview there were a few cancels and some earlier spot are available when I checked today.
Did you see any dates before Feb 15? I just checked and the earliest I see is March 1st. :/

For those of you that have interviewed, did you really stay until 2? Or is there a chance of getting out earlier than thag. I forgot that Georgia is an hour ahead, and I’m not sure if I’ll make my flight at 7pm..

For those of you that have interviewed, did you really stay until 2? Or is there a chance of getting out earlier than thag. I forgot that Georgia is an hour ahead, and I’m not sure if I’ll make my flight at 7pm..

Mine took the entire scheduled time. Actually the second tour group took even longer. Let them know in advance and maybe you can skip the wrap up portion

Are you flying out of Atlanta? If you’re flying out of Alabama, flights are local time.

Last edited:
Got this email today from the school, complete last week:

"Thank you for your application to the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM). We have completed a full review of the documents you have provided. The Admissions Committee has not selected you for an interview at this time. Your application will remain active and you could be selected for an interview later in the cycle. We do review applications for updates and will send further communication if you are selected for an interview."

Anyone else have a similair experience? Is this their generic rejection email or does it mean that they may actually invite me for an interview later in the cycle?

I'm bummed because I had high hopes w this school.

Got this email today from the school, complete last week:

"Thank you for your application to the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM). We have completed a full review of the documents you have provided. The Admissions Committee has not selected you for an interview at this time. Your application will remain active and you could be selected for an interview later in the cycle. We do review applications for updates and will send further communication if you are selected for an interview."

Anyone else have a similair experience? Is this their generic rejection email or does it mean that they may actually invite me for an interview later in the cycle?

I'm bummed because I had high hopes w this school.

They review application in rolling cycles. I got this email. Got an interview invite and got accepted

They review application in rolling cycles. I got this email. Got an interview invite and got accepted

Thank you! This makes me feel a little better. Was there anything you did in the meantime to standout or show interest? and update letter?

Got an II today. Anyone that goes to II willing to answer questions I have? Where's a good place to stay?

Got an II today. Anyone that goes to II willing to answer questions I have? Where's a good place to stay?
I’ll answer questions but I have no idea where to stay. I know one of the hotels has a shuttle

What's rolling cycles? Do you know about what month they will return to review those on hold?

Just got an II for mid march, what are my chances after interviewing so late in the cycle?

What I meant by that is that they make decisions as they go along. So if they reviewed your file they basically waitlisted you for an interview and you may come off that list

If anyone cancels an interview can they let me know? Hoping to get in sooner. Thanks!

II Feb 1st. Does anyone have a rough estimate on many students have "accepted" a spot? Also, their website says they interview about 650 and accept 350. Is that a high acceptance rate compared to other schools?

Did you see any dates before Feb 15? I just checked and the earliest I see is March 1st. :/
Just keep going in and checking the days. I was originally scheduled to interview the last available date in December and I keep checking in daily and was able to move it to October.

II Feb 1st. Does anyone have a rough estimate on many students have "accepted" a spot? Also, their website says they interview about 650 and accept 350. Is that a high acceptance rate compared to other schools?

They said the other day that at this point they have not rejected many people and it’s either waitlist or accept for most. Not sure how their acceptance to interview ratio compares to other schools though, sorry!

Thank you. I hate how it doesn't show class of 2020 or 2021 comlex 1 pass rate

It shows 2020’s first time pass rate, and they are still waiting for some of the students to complete their re-takes before adding in the overall pass rate. 2021 doesn’t take COMLEX 1 until summer 2019. Also, I’m pretty sure they copied 2018’s boards data to 2019’s because it’s the exact same and our dean told my class that 2019 had an improvement compared to the prior classes.

Current 3rd year here! I'll leave the curriculum stuff to the current 1st and 2nd years but if y'all have any questions about rotation sites, core rotations, electives etc., feel free to message me!!

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted so far and welcome to the ACOM family!

Just keep going in and checking the days. I was originally scheduled to interview the last available date in December and I keep checking in daily and was able to move it to October.
Where are you all “checking?” Online or following up with admissions?

Current 3rd year here! I'll leave the curriculum stuff to the current 1st and 2nd years but if y'all have any questions about rotation sites, core rotations, electives etc., feel free to message me!!

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted so far and welcome to the ACOM family!
Hey, not really a clinical question but, having been in Alabama for a while, how do you feel about racial tensions? I was speaking with a white dude who went to Auburn for college and he made it seem like the whites and blacks are very separated and other white people where even mean to him because he wasn't actually from Alabama. As a Hispanic not from Alabama this really got me thinking and frankly a little concerned about the types of situations I might end up in. Can you speak on this at all?

Any current medical students at ACOM willing to answer a few questions?