2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an interview invite to ACOM but have an acceptance from RVUCOM. Any insight into school vs school? I ask because money has already been stretched thin and debating it this interview is worth the expense.

I loved RVUCOM but have heard only good things about ACOM. Help?

I cannot comment about RVU because I have not been there.

However, ACOM is a smaller campus. They are the school in the area so loved by many. Things are new and they are slowly expanding. The town has two main hospitals (Trauma level 2) and an established system of clerkships sites around the region. This is a big perk. Their match list includes a broad set of specialties across the country. They matched well every year. Sure, many primary care but that is expected.

One of the things I really enjoyed was their simulation center. Yes, most schools have these now. However, at ACOM, the students are in there every week practicing various situations. This was very attractive to me as other programs only give you a small number of opportunities. The more practice, the better you will be when you leave.

Dr. Lenz and the rest of the team did a dang good job discussing the program. He wants to create a great school/healthcare system in the area. It seems like a great community on campus and the faculty and staff do what they can to help their students succeed.

Mandatory 1 mo boards prep.

Semi-mandatory attendance.

Business casual or scrub dress code. They push professionalism.

Systems-based and team-based learning.

Apartments close to campus or you can live off campus. ~$800-1000 per mo for 1/2 bedroom.

Safe area.

Good vibe from faculty and staff.

Escape to Florida for a day trip. Panama City/Destin ~ 90 min away.

Warmer climate

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I should also add that the program is working with hospitals/sites in the region to create more residency openings. The hospital in Dothan created IM residency recently. They are also discussing EM. This will happen across the region. The need is there.

Yes, it’s a longer process but in 5 years a lot may happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyway to save the supplemental application? Also, anyone willing to look over my secondary? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd year here. Feel free to shoot me a messages and ask me anything. If I don't get back to you, I'll probably studying but I'll get back to you asap.

For those who interviewed on Oct 26, have any of you heard anything back?

Anyone who already interviewed, any recommendations on where to fly into and places to stay? Car rentals, etc.?
I'm coming all the way from south FL.

Also, if anyone is interviewing Nov 30 pm me.

Anyone who already interviewed, any recommendations on where to fly into and places to stay? Car rentals, etc.?

If you don’t want to fly into Dothan, you can fly into ATL (3.5ish hours away, time zone change), Panama City (1.5 hours), Tallahassee (1.5 hours), or Destin (2 hours).

Comfort Inn and Suites is the closest hotel to ACOM and they generally offer a shuttle to and from ACOM.

List of other hotels in town that some people stay at:
https://www.acom.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Dothan_Hotel_Accommodations.pdf

There’s also a few Airbnb’s some ACOM students rent out.

I can’t PM you but I’m also interviewing Nov 30

For anyone interviewing, you'll run into a lot of OMS I and II who will be cheering you on in the halls when they see you. Don't hesitate to say Hi if you can! Be yourselves, relax, and most importantly SMILE!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, no calls :( I keep refreshing hoping that I don’t get an email. Anyone had gotten a call yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you heard back after interview?

If you haven’t, I think you are in good shape. They said a week after, so Monday/Tuesday you should hear good news.

If you haven’t, I think you are in good shape. They said a week after, so Monday/Tuesday you should hear good news.
They called like an hr. ago and I was accepted. I’m really excited since this is my first acceptance.
My friend got in last year from waitlist, so don’t loose hope.

Reactions: 2 users
They called like an hr. ago and I was accepted. I’m really excited since this is my first acceptance.
My friend got in last year from waitlist, so don’t loose hope.

That’s awesome. Huge congrats. I got great news yesterday from a different school so I am still on high street. One step forward. It’s a fantastic Friday, celebrate and enjoy the weekend.

Has anyone on the wait list gotten an II yet?

Will likely be cancelling my interview here on 12/07. Hopefully one of y'all on the waitlist get the spot! Good luck!

Besides the 2k Deposit, are there any other expenses we need to pay for before school starts?

Besides the 2k Deposit, are there any other expenses we need to pay for before school starts?

That’s a great question for admissions. You will get a complete answer. Good luck. Congrats.

does anyone know the average COMLEX scores. not just the pass rates

Current 2nd year here, saw nobody replied to you after 6 days, so I went ahead and made an account so I could answer this for you, even though I'm sure many others have chimed in with similar responses to this question in this thread.

My favorite thing about the school is easily the culture here. I know it's a cliche response that students from other schools will often cite as a favorite part of their schools, but it is really the truth. It's more of a collaborative vibe between students rather than a "gunner" vibe. Everyone in my class is really close and gets along well, yet our class has been very successful in coursework at the same time. The gunner types do exist at our school, but those gunners are often some of the nicest and most social of the group. Additionally, everyone here is super chill in general. We all go out to bars and parties together, so we all kind of stopped caring about trying to keep up a fake persona long ago. We all are just on the grind together.

As for why I chose it above others, I think my answer there is a little more relevant to you guys who are applying. I had a couple acceptances to instate schools (I'm not from Alabama), one just two hours from home. I ended up choosing ACOM (~7hrs away from home) because of the clinical rotations the school has. One thing you'll realize once you're in med school is that the school you go to doesn't really make any difference in your first two years. The material is the same everywhere, and the boards are the same everywhere. Obviously some schools are better at teaching than others and mandatory attendance can play a factor, but the difference is really minimal. It's all about the effort you put in. However, the school you go to DOES matter a LOT when it comes to your 3rd and 4th year rotations. That is why I chose ACOM, because it arguably has some of the best clinical rotations of any DO school, and some MDs as well. ACOM was planned for many years before it opened, and thus it had it's clinical sites already set in stone ahead of time, and they are trying to get more and more options in great locations. We absorbed the clinical rotations network that the state of Alabama already had in place, so this basically made ACOM's clinical rotation options amazing before ACOM even opened. The locations are amazing, with places like Panama City, Huntsville, Mobile, Birmingham, Tallahassee, etc. in additional to Dothan and other rural options. The match lists ACOM churned out already after just 2 years attests to this quite well.

Do you know the clinical sites, i know you mentioned a couple locations. Are there specific hospitals there?

Not as far as I know.

does anyone know the average COMLEX scores. not just the pass rates

For class of 2019, average COMLEX 1 score was 515.

Do you know the clinical sites, i know you mentioned a couple locations. Are there specific hospitals there?

Pic below has a list of sites from this past year. Class of 2021 just had their clerkship fair a few days ago, so someone should have a more updated list. I know they added a site in Gulfport, Mississippi. Also, with Hurricane Michael hitting Panama City Beach, I don’t think they will have a rotation site in Panama City next year since the hospital needs to be fixed.

Attachments

• 39DFBFA1-576A-4312-A5CD-D49B6245871F.jpeg
    39DFBFA1-576A-4312-A5CD-D49B6245871F.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 95
BRS Gross Anatomy is a great review book that has high yield info and some practice questions.

Rohen’s Color Atlas of Anatomy shows detailed pics of cadavers and great to use when you’re studying for the lab practicals.

Netter’s anatomy flash cards are good if you like using flash cards.

Essential Anatomy 5 is a great mobile app if you want to isolate muscles, nerves, arteries, veins, etc.
A friend that goes there recommend grey’s anatomy. Do you guys use that book on first year?

A friend that goes there recommend grey’s anatomy. Do you guys use that book on first year?

Yes, it’s one of our required anatomy textbooks that our professors base their ppt lectures off of. We have it as an e-book on our library page if you want to save money on textbooks during your first two years.

Yes, it’s one of our required anatomy textbooks that our professors base their ppt lectures off of. We have it as an e-book on our library page if you want to save money on textbooks during your first two years.
Awesome thank you for the quick reply. I’ve been looking and they have a few books w that title. Do u know which one in particular do u guys use?

Awesome thank you for the quick reply. I’ve been looking and they have a few books w that title. Do u know which one in particular do u guys use?

Attachments

• 8E49FF39-D8AA-413D-B5F3-54328BEE9AD8.jpeg
    8E49FF39-D8AA-413D-B5F3-54328BEE9AD8.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 71
just got the phone call!! Accepted!!! Interviewed 11/2 :D :D :D

Reactions: 5 users
II just now! First date open is February 1st, let the wait begin.

Reactions: 3 users
Random unrelated question to anything, but does Dothan have fireflies? I’d love for my kiddos to see them

Reactions: 5 users
if anybody is cancelling an II and wants to dm when so i can change my slot please let me know thanks

I can't PM you, but I am also interviewing in Nov 30th and coming from South Florida too.

Hello everyone, just got my II today, can anyone give me any tips for how the interview is?

Last edited:
Just got my II today as well. Complete 10/30. Interview on 02/08. Good luck guys

Is there any downside to interviewing in February? I know the DO cycle is longer, but is there still a good chance at an acceptance?

Hi, I would appreciate if any current students can answer this questions; since in interview day I was very nervous and I didn’t get to ask the attrition rate and the time that’s given to students to study for complex I and II?

Hi, I would appreciate if any current students can answer this questions; since in interview day I was very nervous and I didn’t get to ask the attrition rate and the time that’s given to students to study for complex I and II?

I know for the first several classes, at least 10 students per year were held back and had to repeat their first semester. Few students a year leave ACOM due to personal, academic, or professional reasons.

Since ACOM has the mandatory Wolfpacc program now, there’s about 3-4 weeks dedicated to the mandatory program, which usually finishes by the end of May. Then ACOM requests you to take your COMLEX 1 by the end of June, but they extended the deadline to mid-July this past year. So you basically have a month of personal study time.

For COMLEX 2 CE, you’re on your own. No scheduled off time to study, so students plan to take easy electives during this time.

I know for the first several classes, at least 10 students per year were held back and had to repeat their first semester. Few students a year leave ACOM due to personal, academic, or professional reasons.

Since ACOM has the mandatory Wolfpacc program now, there’s about 3-4 weeks dedicated to the mandatory program, which usually finishes by the end of May. Then ACOM requests you to take your COMLEX 1 by the end of June, but they extended the deadline to mid-July this past year. So you basically have a month of personal study time.

For COMLEX 2 CE, you’re on your own. No scheduled off time to study, so students plan to take easy electives during this time.
Thanks for the quick reply:)

That's great to hear, glad you enjoyed it!! Thanks for a very detailed response, too. So the research is primarily done during the summer months? Is there some kind of regulation in that, if I chose to do research the summer of my first year, I can't (or will be less likely to be picked) to do summer research after year two and year three? I actually really love doing research and have been doing it for years now. What kind of research projects if you don't mind me asking? are they like clinical research or bench work?
I apologize for such a delayed response. I've been very busy and honestly forgot SDN even existed haha. If this information is no longer useful to you, hopefully it will be for someone else.

generally the summer fellowships are for first year students and would require you to stay in Dothan during the summer. if you planned to be out of the area for more than 1-2 weeks then this would probably impair your chances of being selected for the fellowship. You are welcome to do research outside of ACOM instead though. Summer of second year is almost always dedicated to board studying since most students seem to take their exam(s) in June/July with rotations beginning in early August (I think - my exact timeline of when rotations start may be off). As far as summer during your third year goes, it will probably be up to you if you want to do research or not and depends on your schedule with rotations. The ACOM fellowships were mostly bench research but they also had some OPP focused research and some clinical projects as well. I think there was a good variation but the focus is definitely on bench research.

Pic below has a list of sites from this past year. Class of 2021 just had their clerkship fair a few days ago, so someone should have a more updated list. I know they added a site in Gulfport, Mississippi. Also, with Hurricane Michael hitting Panama City Beach, I don’t think they will have a rotation site in Panama City next year since the hospital needs to be fixed.

During the clerkship fair this year they discussed that PC will begin reopening its doors in the coming weeks and there will still be a rotation site next year. It sounds like they have a solid plan and the site will still be a top 5 option for me!

For anyone that wants it, below is the updated map with all of the rotation sites! Supposedly there still might be a new site or two before they actually match us to a core site. (There is actually 2 sites in Pensacola not 1)
upload_2018-11-15_3-15-35.png

I apologize for such a delayed response. I've been very busy and honestly forgot SDN even existed haha. If this information is no longer useful to you, hopefully it will be for someone else.

generally the summer fellowships are for first year students and would require you to stay in Dothan during the summer. if you planned to be out of the area for more than 1-2 weeks then this would probably impair your chances of being selected for the fellowship. You are welcome to do research outside of ACOM instead though. Summer of second year is almost always dedicated to board studying since most students seem to take their exam(s) in June/July with rotations beginning in early August (I think - my exact timeline of when rotations start may be off). As far as summer during your third year goes, it will probably be up to you if you want to do research or not and depends on your schedule with rotations. The ACOM fellowships were mostly bench research but they also had some OPP focused research and some clinical projects as well. I think there was a good variation but the focus is definitely on bench research.
Thanks for this!! What do you mean by doing research outside of ACOM? Like how would we find that?

Some people search for their own opportunities closer to come, especially if they live near large cities or research institutions. Some people search for research programs that aren't associated with the school and will go there for the summer. The school sends out information about a few opportunities like that in the spring for anyone wanting to apply to those internships/programs that aren't associated with ACOM but usually you have to do your own footwork or have your own connections to get those. I don't have a lot of info on those though because I didn't do that, I stayed in Dothan and did the ACOM research fellowship.

Interview Invite this morning but I will be declining. Best of luck to everyone!

II this morning for Feb 15th! Super excited for this opportunity!! Heard so many good things about ACOM!