2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s the ACOM class of 2023 fb page. There is no specific housing page. There is a page for items for sale too.
There is also the ACOM Student Advocates page that has some on it. I personally found my housing on Trulia. I will be renting a house in Webb, AL. It's 12 minute drive to school.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if the waitlist to Summerfield has lots of movement? I'm deciding if I should look at other housing options but I would much prefer living on campus.

does anyone know if the waitlist to Summerfield has lots of movement? I'm deciding if I should look at other housing options but I would much prefer living on campus.

You can email Brittany at Summerfield to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what schools have told me, they always estimate COA to be higher than it actually is so students can claim a higher need in case they have children or some other circumstances that increases how much they need.

For example: I’m living on campus for $600 a month (can also rent a house for $400-700 off campus). I spend $250 max on food a month including eating out. That’s $8500 for 10 months. Their room and board estimate is almost twice that.

Same for transportation, books and supplies and their miscellaneous section.

As someone with a car that I’ll be having shipped to Alabama and flying in from the west coast my COA for year 1 looks to be about 62-65k.

I’d request 78k for loans. Then take out what you think you need plus a bit extra in case your math is off. Then come second disbursement you can lower or increase what you take.
Hi @WoundupKnight , I want to ask you some questions about moving and shipping cars. But your setting doesn't allow me to message you. Could you message me? Thanks.

What's a good beach near Dothan? Is panama city the closest?

Is anyone planning on going to ShaDO day next Friday? I am interested. I filled out the registration form via the link in a previous post; however, I cannot find any further information on the matter. Also, I contacted Mr. Willis. I was waitlisted today.

Is ACOM still sending out IIs? Wondering if they are done interviewing for the cycle. Silence for a few months.

Is ACOM still sending out IIs? Wondering if they are done interviewing for the cycle. Silence for a few months.

Last cycle there were interviews in late May so it’s possible they aren’t done.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! If you are on the waitlist and interested in ShaDO day, please email [email protected] and you will be in touch with the students that are planning the event. They can give you more information and answer your questions.

I know I said this in my original post about this event, but I would also like to re-emphasize that by attending this event, you are not guaranteed to be pulled off of the waitlist. No one can promise that. However, the 3-4 waitlist students that we had attend the event last year, did have their names taken down by a member of the admissions committee and I am fairly sure they were pulled off the waitlist at some point. Not sure how many of them chose to matriculate though. But if you really like ACOM and want to show your continued interest in this program, this is a great way to do it.

Essentially, the event entails you visiting and touring the school again with the added benefit of more interactions with students and faculty and getting to see SIM cases in the SIM building along with OPP in the OPP lab. (This is what happened in the event last year, I am not involved in the event this year due to my study schedule with boards approaching, so please send an email to the above address for more detailed information.)

If you do attend the event, make sure to let the students and faculty running the event know that you are on the waitlist. The more faculty you talk to while you are there, the better!

I wish you all luck and hope that you get good news soon!

Is anyone planning on going to ShaDO day next Friday? I am interested. I filled out the registration form via the link in a previous post; however, I cannot find any further information on the matter. Also, I contacted Mr. Willis. I was waitlisted today.

I am! I registered last week, and was waitlisted in March. Did you decide to go?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was waitlisted in Jan. We will see a lot of movement in May for sure.
Yeah I think so too. Are you going to ShaDO? I had talked to Mr. Willis a few weeks ago and I was told this would be a good opportunity to display interest. Not sure if I’ll be the only one that’s not a teeny bopper there lol

Yeah I think so too. Are you going to ShaDO? I had talked to Mr. Willis a few weeks ago and I was told this would be a good opportunity to display interest. Not sure if I’ll be the only one that’s not a teeny bopper there lol

Idk I might. Went to open house and got an interview invitation afterwards. I have a friend who’s a first year there and it would be my 3rd time touring. I just wish we could see some movement on the waitlist before they had something like this so I could see if I actually needed the extra help or not. It’s 10 hour round trip for me to see the same things. Considering a letter of intent.

Idk I might. Went to open house and got an interview invitation afterwards. I have a friend who’s a first year there and it would be my 3rd time touring. I just wish we could see some movement on the waitlist before they had something like this so I could see if I actually needed the extra help or not. It’s 10 hour round trip for me to see the same things. Considering a letter of intent.
Yeah I feel that. I’m flying in tomorrow from like 11 hours away so it’s gotten to be pretty expensive.

I’ll be there!

For the people who attended the ShaDO event, how was it? Also, did you receive any information that you feel comfortable relaying?

For the people who attended the ShaDO event, how was it? Also, did you receive any information that you feel comfortable relaying?

Glad I went. Got a chance to interact more with the student body, faculty, and director of admissions. Worth going if you have the chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Glad I went. Got a chance to interact more with the student body, faculty, and director of admissions. Worth going if you have the chance.

Wish I could have made it down. Hopefully the next few weeks will be exciting for us on the waitlist!

Reactions: 4 users
From reading last years threads it looks like they start pulling people off the waitlist around the second week of May, so hopefully we all hear back soon!

Reactions: 4 users
From reading last years threads it looks like they start pulling people off the waitlist around the second week of May, so hopefully we all hear back soon!

This. Bob mentioned the same thing over the phone yday

Just got my R from UAB. I was waitlisted 3rd tier though. Hopefully ACOM will show me some love.

Did you guys call acom after you got waitlisted or just accepted the waitlist?

Also does anyone know about how many people are on the waitlist and how many people they take overall?

There’s a partial match list over in the 2019 match list thread.

Looks about the same as previous years. Maybe less primary care but that’s extrapolating and assuming an even percentage of responses per specialty.

Here is ACOM's self-reported list from Facebook. Only about 95 out of 160 listed here so far:

Anesthesiology

KDHCD Visalia, CA

Emergency Medicine

Merit Health Wesley

University of Colorado/Denver Health

UMass- Baystate

University of Florida

Grand Strand Medical Center - Myrtle Beach, SC

WMU

Mercy Health

Family Medicine

St. Vincent's East

Montgomery, AL

Methodist Dallas

East Jefferson General Hospital, New Orleans LA

Swedish Covenant, Chicago IL

Riverstone, Billings MT

University of California, San Fransisco (UCSF)

OSU!

Christ Hospital Jersey City, NJ

Eisenhower Army Medical Center - Fort Gordon, GA

Ft Belvoir, VA

Phoebe, Albany GA

Spectrum/MSU

General Surgery

Virginia Tech

Internal Medicine

Orange Park Medical Center

University of Louisville

University of Tennessee at Memphis

Texas Tech University – El Paso

University of Nevada - Reno

University of Florida

Largo Medical Center - Tampa/Largo, FL

UAB - Huntsville

St. John’s - Riverside

Grand Strand Medical Center - Myrtle Beach, SC

University of Tennessee - Chattanooga

Ascension Genesys Hospital, Grand Blanc MI

Neurology

Duke University

Spectrum Health/MSU

WSU - Dayton, OH

OBGYN

Garden City Hospital - Michigan

University of Tennessee - Chattanooga

Spectrum Health/MSU

Metro Health/University of Michigan Health

ECU

Orthopaedic Surgery

Largo Medical Center in Tampa, FL

Pediatrics

University of Texas - Houston

University of South Carolina

Eastern Virginia Medical School – Norfolk, VI

Advocate – Chicago, IL

Mercer University

Children's Hospital of Georgia - MCG Augusta.

Psych

Rutgers - New Jersey Medical School

Texas A&M/Baylor Scott & White

University of South Alabama (x2)

Diagnostic Radiology

University of South Alabama

Tulane

Preliminary Surgery

University of Kentucky

Las Vegas

Preliminary Opthalmology

Grandview Medical Center - Dayton

Vascular Surgery

Spectrum/MSU in Grand Rapids, MI

There’s 4 orthopedic matches and 1 ophthalmology match too.

Did you guys call acom after you got waitlisted or just accepted the waitlist?
Also does anyone know about how many people are on the waitlist and how many people they take overall?

I didn’t call. My friend is first year there and said it’s pretty normal to get waitlisted unless you have really good stats.

No clue about how many are on the waitlist. Class size was increased this year. Go back a few pages and someone talked about the details. I’m pretty sure they also talk about this at the interview.

I didn’t call. My friend is first year there and said it’s pretty normal to get wait listed unless you have really good stats.

No clue about how many are on the wait list. Class size was increased this year. Go back a few pages and someone talked about the details. I’m pretty sure they also talk about this at the interview.

Class size is being increased from 150 (162) to 180 (194) this year. For the class of 2021, they reported 643 interviews. 643/162 = 3.97 interviews per seat. Assuming they keep the same ratio, they'll conduct 770 interviews this year for a class size of 194.

They'll accept ~40% directly and wait list ~30% total, but this varies during the cycle. Towards the beginning they'll accept and then wait list anyone not accepted. Towards the end of the application cycle, if they have no open seats, all applicants that would typically be accepted are wait listed then the wait listed applicants that would have been accepted had there been seats are offered one once a spot opens up.

I'd say ~150 people on the wait list for this year.

They take ~30-40 people off the wait list per year for a class of 162. If the ratio stays the same, then that's 36-48 people this year or 1/4th to 1/3rd of the wait list pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Class size is being increased from 150 (162) to 180 (194) this year. For the class of 2021, they reported 643 interviews. 643/162 = 3.97 interviews per seat. Assuming they keep the same ratio, they'll conduct 770 interviews this year for a class size of 194.

They'll accept ~40% directly and wait list ~30% total, but this varies during the cycle. Towards the beginning they'll accept and then wait list anyone not accepted. Towards the end of the application cycle, if they have no open seats, all applicants that would typically be accepted are wait listed then the wait listed applicants that would have been accepted had there been seats are offered one once a spot opens up.

I'd say ~150 people on the wait list for this year.

They take ~30-40 people off the wait list per year for a class of 162. If the ratio stays the same, then that's 36-48 people this year or 1/4th to 1/3rd of the wait list pool.

Way more detailed. Thanks for the information!

Has anyone heard of people being pulled off the waitlist or received an update?

Has anyone heard of people being pulled off the waitlist or received an update?
Nope, but I am starting to grow concerns... This sounds incredibly neurotic lol but I occasionally glance at the FB accepted students group and even though I'm not in it I have noticed it is still growing.. though obviously there is no way to really know if those are from people previously accepted or moved off of the waitlist recently. How often does the committee meet to move people off of waitlist anyway?

Nope, but I am starting to grow concerns... This sounds incredibly neurotic lol but I occasionally glance at the FB accepted students group and even though I'm not in it I have noticed it is still growing.. though obviously there is no way to really know if those are from people previously accepted or moved off of the waitlist recently. How often does the committee meet to move people off of waitlist anyway?

Quite a few people in that group are current first years, second years, third years, and fourth years.

At what point do we need to decide to bite the bullet and apply again? The AACOMAS has already opened up and it feels stupid to just sit here waiting and hoping and run the risk of decreasing the odds of acceptance by submitting later.

At what point do we need to decide to bite the bullet and apply again? The AACOMAS has already opened up and it feels stupid to just sit here waiting and hoping and run the risk of decreasing the odds of acceptance by submitting later.
I would start preparing your application and LORs now which may take some time. Also if you are applying for the FAP this will take some processing time. Take this time to work on your application. That way you can submit by June 15th or so, this date is reference from Bob Willis from last years forum. This will be a good "rule of thumb" .

Just don't pay until later because I'm not sure AACOMAS will give you a refund.

Does anyone perhaps know when we’ll start recieving our financial aid reward letters? I’ve been finished with all of the paperwork for over a month now and was just wondering if they were alreqdy being sent out. Thanks

Does anyone perhaps know when we’ll start recieving our financial aid reward letters? I’ve been finished with all of the paperwork for over a month now and was just wondering if they were alreqdy being sent out. Thanks
I got mine like 2 weeks ago. Try emailing or calling to see why they haven't gotten back to you

Or check your spam/junk mail box.

Thank you all so much. I’ll definitely be contacting them and checking my junk mail from here on out.