2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE MATCH RESULTS FOR 2019? i can't find them anywhere

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE MATCH RESULTS FOR 2019? i can't find them anywhere

There’s a post in the DO med students forum under 2019 match results. Results from our school’s fb page that some students posted. Official results will probably be released by ACOM at the end of May or in June.

Just withdrew my acceptance :/ Really really loved ACOM, but ultimately decided to choose a program closer to home.

Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear some good news!

Reactions: 3 users
I called the school and left a message that is very important. Anyone know if students are off for spring break this week?

If anyone is willing to switch to April 5th and give up April 19th or April 26th I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm am having some troubles and cannot get off these days. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I called the school and left a message that is very important. Anyone know if students are off for spring break this week?

If anyone is willing to switch to April 5th and give up April 19th or April 26th I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm am having some troubles and cannot get off these days. Thanks!

Campus spring break is from 3/23 to 3/31.

Does anyone know if the new florida sites (in addition to the ones that already exist) are established yet? During the interview they mentioned adding others...... ALSO does any one know what the new class size is.. they were like adding ALOT more people.. jw

Does anyone know if the new florida sites (in addition to the ones that already exist) are established yet? During the interview they mentioned adding others...... ALSO does any one know what the new class size is.. they were like adding ALOT more people.. jw

New class size is 210, for the clinical sites i honestly forgot. I know they are establishing sites in northern Florida but i don’t wanna confirm city names in case I’m inaccurate.

New class size is 210, for the clinical sites i honestly forgot. I know they are establishing sites in northern Florida but i don’t wanna confirm city names in case I’m inaccurate.
Wait, they increased the class size from 162 to 210? When did they decide to do this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. Willis informed all the interviewees on my interview day that's the only reason I know the exact number!

I believe on my interview day he said that they are able to take up to 210 this year, but are anticipating around 180 as they want to grow gradually!

I believe on my interview day he said that they are able to take up to 210 this year, but are anticipating around 180 as they want to grow gradually!

Hmm interesting, but I feel like they have so many interested students, would they really just cap it at 180 if there’s a waitlist???

Hello all!

With only 3 interview dates left, does anyone have an inkling of how many spots are still available?

Interviewing April 5th.

For those who interviewed, any things I need to know about?

All help is welcomed, and thank you in advance!

I can’t find any information about ShaDO day on 4/26, May I PM you? Thanks
Sorry for the delayed reply! I responded to your PM. My schedule has been torture with board prep. If anyone else would like to know who to contact, please send me a PM and I will give you the email.

Has anyone heard of people getting off the waitlist yet? They said it will be around mid April, we're pretty much there

Has anyone heard of people getting off the waitlist yet? They said it will be around mid April, we're pretty much there

On April 15th, applicants can only be accepted to 3 schools total and must withdraw from all other acceptances.
On April 30th, applicants can only be accepted to 1 school total and must withdraw from all other acceptances.

On those two dates there are usually a lot of waitlist movement for all medical schools, with the April 30th one being the big one.

On April 15th, applicants can only be accepted to 3 schools total and must withdraw from all other acceptances.
On April 30th, applicants can only be accepted to 1 school total and must withdraw from all other acceptances.

On those two dates there are usually a lot of waitlist movement for all medical schools, with the April 30th one being the big one.

Are you sure those aren’t AMCAS’ dates and not AACOMAS?

May 15th is deadline to pick 1 school for DO

Last edited:
Has anyone from the 4/5 interview hear from Mr. Willis? Am I mistaken, or were we supposed to hear something today?

Accepted 1/29/19... does anyone know if we are supposed to be able to log into MyAcom by now? Also, need some help with this grad plus loan business. How do you know how much to request? I haven't gotten feedback about scholarships or my aid letter etc. Has anyone done this already? Did you just ask for COA- 20k max for fed sub/unsub loans? Any help would be SOOO appreciated! Thank you!

does anyone know if international rotations are a thing here? also whats the dress for OMM. is it shorts or can u do leggings? also is it always sports bras or just occasionally...

Are you sure those aren’t AMCAS’ dates and not AACOMAS?

May 15th is deadline to pick 1 school for DO

No, you're correct that they are AMCAS dates. But people accepted to a DO school may get off the waitlist at an MD school on those dates, so spots tend to open up for DO schools. There will be more movement on the AACOMAS dates as well, but usually not as much in my experience.

does anyone know if international rotations are a thing here? also whats the dress for OMM. is it shorts or can u do leggings? also is it always sports bras or just occasionally...

You have basically your entire 4th year to do away rotations if you want. I don't know specifically about international rotations, though. I don't know anyone who has done one personally. Usually you want to do away rotations at places you plan to rank for residency match.

Dress for OMM is shorts and t-shirts or whatever variation of that you want. Many girls wear leggings as well. Sports bras are a must since shirts have to come off quite frequently.

Accepted 1/29/19... does anyone know if we are supposed to be able to log into MyAcom by now? Also, need some help with this grad plus loan business. How do you know how much to request? I haven't gotten feedback about scholarships or my aid letter etc. Has anyone done this already? Did you just ask for COA- 20k max for fed sub/unsub loans? Any help would be SOOO appreciated! Thank you!

Take the maximum amount offered. You really don't want to be stressed about money during school. If you end up having money left over at the end of the semester you can just give it back or take less the following semester. This is what most students do, and it's nice to be able to afford whatever you want/need (within reason) for a few years.

Yes, check out my classmate’s instagram, modmedblog. She has done a few international rotations.

Take the maximum amount offered. You really don't want to be stressed about money during school. If you end up having money left over at the end of the semester you can just give it back or take less the following semester. This is what most students do, and it's nice to be able to afford whatever you want/need (within reason) for a few years.

Thank you for that! I mean the grad plus application requires that you designate an amount. I've applied for scholarships, but I am assuming I will just be borrowing for all of it. Do most people just conservatively estimate COA (still waiting to hear if an apt opens up at SummerField Square etc) and then subtract 20k from that value and request this in grad plus loans and see what they offer?

Thank you for that! I mean the grad plus application requires that you designate an amount. I've applied for scholarships, but I am assuming I will just be borrowing for all of it. Do most people just conservatively estimate COA (still waiting to hear if an apt opens up at SummerField Square etc) and then subtract 20k from that value and request this in grad plus loans and see what they offer?
Request the max. You don’t have to borrow the max amount that you’ve requested but it’s good to have a higher amount available to you just in case.

Okay, will do that... is it safe to go off of the school's projected 78,000 a year? I don't know where this breakdown of books etc is coming from. Sorry for so many questions. This is anxiety city for me asking for all this $$$$$$

From what schools have told me, they always estimate COA to be higher than it actually is so students can claim a higher need in case they have children or some other circumstances that increases how much they need.

For example: I’m living on campus for $600 a month (can also rent a house for $400-700 off campus). I spend $250 max on food a month including eating out. That’s $8500 for 10 months. Their room and board estimate is almost twice that.

Same for transportation, books and supplies and their miscellaneous section.

As someone with a car that I’ll be having shipped to Alabama and flying in from the west coast my COA for year 1 looks to be about 62-65k.

I’d request 78k for loans. Then take out what you think you need plus a bit extra in case your math is off. Then come second disbursement you can lower or increase what you take.

You spend $250 a month on food? I would love to see your shopping list because I would be a walking skeleton.

You spend $250 a month on food? I would love to see your shopping list because I would be a walking skeleton.

3-4 pounds of chicken/beef/pork per week @$4 a pound = $64

5kg bag of rice = $20

7 pounds of vegetables @~$1-2 a pound per week = $56

$10 on seasoning/soy sauce etc.

Total of $150 for basic meals with some left over for misc snacks and if I want some variety.

Meal prep on Sunday’s, pack enough for the week.

Also tried doing the canned soup thing where you just buy the $2 cans x3 a day for ~$180 a month but that got old quick.

$250 a month per person for food is definitely adequate unless you go out to eat a lot or buy expensive ingredients.

Reactions: 1 users
has anyone already secured housing for next year? I wanna live in the Summerfield housing, but not sure if I can secure that now.

has anyone already secured housing for next year? I wanna live in the Summerfield housing, but not sure if I can secure that now.

There’s some posts on the fb page about renting homes. Some students live at Magnolia or Highland Hills apt complex. I think Summerfield filled up at this time.

Can any current students comment about buying textbooks... or are most tests based on PPs? Is it worth it just to purchase the study aid books.

From what schools have told me, they always estimate COA to be higher than it actually is so students can claim a higher need in case they have children or some other circumstances that increases how much they need.

For example: I’m living on campus for $600 a month (can also rent a house for $400-700 off campus). I spend $250 max on food a month including eating out. That’s $8500 for 10 months. Their room and board estimate is almost twice that.

Same for transportation, books and supplies and their miscellaneous section.

As someone with a car that I’ll be having shipped to Alabama and flying in from the west coast my COA for year 1 looks to be about 62-65k.

I’d request 78k for loans. Then take out what you think you need plus a bit extra in case your math is off. Then come second disbursement you can lower or increase what you take.
Might be a silly question. But where exactly do you request how much money you want? I haven't gone thru the FASFA yet, but is it on here? Or, is this something they send you once they receive your FASFA.... I'm specifically talking about the non-PLUS loan (idr the name).

You have basically your entire 4th year to do away rotations if you want. I don't know specifically about international rotations, though. I don't know anyone who has done one personally. Usually you want to do away rotations at places you plan to rank for residency match.

Dress for OMM is shorts and t-shirts or whatever variation of that you want. Many girls wear leggings as well. Sports bras are a must since shirts have to come off quite frequently.
Can you get away with wearing T-shirts/sweatshirts with scrub bottoms... or do you have to wear scrub tops?

Can anyone from accepted students tell me what is the stat average for the school?

Can any current students comment about buying textbooks... or are most tests based on PPs? Is it worth it just to purchase the study aid books.

Most of the tests are based off of the lectures and PowerPoint. It is not worth it to buy the textbooks. The school’s library has all the textbooks electronically, and some upperclassman may have PDFs of the textbooks. You are better off spending your money on First Aid and other board resources.

Can you get away with wearing T-shirts/sweatshirts with scrub bottoms... or do you have to wear scrub tops?

Yes, you can get away with scrub bottoms with a T shirt or sweatshirt.

Can anyone from accepted students tell me what is the stat average for the school?

Might be a silly question. But where exactly do you request how much money you want? I haven't gone thru the FASFA yet, but is it on here? Or, is this something they send you once they receive your FASFA.... I'm specifically talking about the non-PLUS loan (idr the name).

Not sure if ACOM sent you instructions in the matriculation packet on how to complete financial aid, but definitely complete your FASFA. There will be instructions on how to apply for loans, and you’ll have to complete loan counseling on studentloans.gov

Page 25 of the ACOM financial aid guide gives you good instructions:

Last edited:
There’s some posts on the fb page about renting homes. Some students live at Magnolia or Highland Hills apt complex. I think Summerfield filled up at this time.
Would you mind sharing the housing fb page? I just got put on the waitlist for Summerfield