2018-2019 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I just had my letters authenticated and was notified my application will be in the active queue again. Any idea how long it takes from this point to hear back for a II?

Anyone get an email with a temporary student portal password? I actually don’t know what that’s for because the portal we’ve been using still uses the previous log in info. Do u guys know what It’s for? Is it for email?

Ugh depression. It’s already been almost 11 weeks since I submitted my secondary. So hard to wait.

Has anyone been accepted here recently? Anyone know when they normally reach out?

Has anyone been accepted here recently? Anyone know when they normally reach out?

I interviewed on sep 5th and received my acceptance on sep 18th

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted Today!
Interviewed 1/14

Just a heads up... Apparently you're notified Via the Portal. I spent the whole day stressing for an email.

Reactions: 1 user
I was a little hesitant about this school because it's considerably new and does not have a graduating class yet. That said, I absolutely fell in love with the school and the overall atmosphere here. I was not expecting much, but I left with a smile on my face. This school really cares for its students and has invested a lot of time and interest in tools to help students succeed. If you're like me and hesitant on possibly attending this school for an interview, I 100% recommend attending.

Also, stay at the Ramada if you get a chance :nod: pretty awesome hotel that had a villa-type vibe. It was also about 5 minutes away from the school.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! If anyone plans on attending BCOM and is looking for a place to live, this is for you.
I've lived at Sonoma Palms for 2.5 years now and would highly recommend it! The staff is EXCEPTIONAL. Work orders get completed in less than 24 hours. Pool is awesome, gym is fully functional, facilities are clean, club house has free coffee and tea. My apartment feels brand new and I don't hear my neighbors very often at all. It's gated and I feel very safe here. I had no idea where I would live when I moved to Las Cruces and I'm SO GLAD I found Sonoma Palms and the manager, Kristina. If you are thinking about living here, definitely take a tour!! Tell them Jessalyn sent you :)

Hello! If anyone plans on attending BCOM and is looking for a place to live, this is for you.
I've lived at Sonoma Palms for 2.5 years now and would highly recommend it! The staff is EXCEPTIONAL. Work orders get completed in less than 24 hours. Pool is awesome, gym is fully functional, facilities are clean, club house has free coffee and tea. My apartment feels brand new and I don't hear my neighbors very often at all. It's gated and I feel very safe here. I had no idea where I would live when I moved to Las Cruces and I'm SO GLAD I found Sonoma Palms and the manager, Kristina. If you are thinking about living here, definitely take a tour!! Tell them Jessalyn sent you :)
How far is it from the school?

I’m thinking of living in a 2x2 in the Flats at Ridgeview (a 4 min drive to BCOM). If anyone’s interested in rooming with me or has any insight into living here, please feel free to message me!

I’m thinking of living in a 2x2 in the Flats at Ridgeview (a 4 min drive to BCOM). If anyone’s interested in rooming with me or has any insight into living here, please feel free to message me!
I think someone mentioned on the class Facebook page that a lot of undergrads live there, so that's something to consider! Not sure if that differs significantly at other complexes bc they're not as close to the school

I just moved in to willow springs, it’s a brand new apartment complex with beautiful floor plans at a good price. It’s really quiet in this area, I’m liking it a lot so far and it’s a quick 10 min drive to BCOM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How far is it from the school?

It's a 10 minute drive from the school. It's on the higher end of pricing in las cruces. There's a bunch of less expensive places to live in the area, especially if you're on a budget. I also don't really think the housing near the school is all that great but if you want to be right by school then it might be for you.

EDIT: I've heard a lot about there being water bugs at Sonoma (and seen a few at the Flats). They tell you that it's due to the area since it's a desert but not everyone has them so I don't know why these places do.

It's a 10 minute drive from the school. It's on the higher end of pricing in las cruces. There's a bunch of less expensive places to live in the area, especially if you're on a budget. I also don't really think the housing near the school is all that great but if you want to be right by school then it might be for you.

EDIT: I've heard a lot about there being water bugs at Sonoma (and seen a few at the Flats). They tell you that it's due to the area since it's a desert but not everyone has them so I don't know why these places do.
Do you think its worth the extra money to live there?

Do you think its worth the extra money to live there?

This is just my personal opinion but I dont think it is. There's a lot quieter, cheaper places in the city. Also, if you're someone who needs to be in class you won't even be home that much because the class schedule goes late. And now with the new changes with lab days, you will be at school even more because you'll get random breaks for 1.5 hours throughout the day but have to be there enough that you can't go home.

Anyone else interviewing on 2/25 and wanting to meet up? I get in on 2/24 & wanted to explore a little/not be cooped up in my hotel.

Also timeline:

Applied: 10/22
Complete: 11/9 (I think)
II: 01/25

This is just my personal opinion but I dont think it is. There's a lot quieter, cheaper places in the city. Also, if you're someone who needs to be in class you won't even be home that much because the class schedule goes late. And now with the new changes with lab days, you will be at school even more because you'll get random breaks for 1.5 hours throughout the day but have to be there enough that you can't go home.
Interesting, okay! Could you elaborate on the schedule changes?

For those of you who have interviewed, how was the interview?

Its very conversational. I am a bit worried because I couldn't read the interviewers faces. But it's a 2 on 1 interview and they just ask you questions. I signed a confidentiality form so I can't really tell you much but the interview lasts for about a half an hour. All you gotta do is relax and be yourself :D

Its very conversational. I am a bit worried because I couldn't read the interviewers faces. But it's a 2 on 1 interview and they just ask you questions. I signed a confidentiality form so I can't really tell you much but the interview lasts for about a half an hour. All you gotta do is relax and be yourself :D

I felt the same way! Hahah.

Interesting, okay! Could you elaborate on the schedule changes?

I remember a big chunk of first year being 8AM to at least 1 - 2 PM. Later on in the year we were just happy for a day that went until noon. (Not sure if this has changed further, but I doubt it).

OMM and Clinical Skills used to be on Tuesdays for second years, and Thursday for first years. But now they've split it so Clinical Skills is Tuesday for second years and OMM is on Tuesday for first years. Depending on the order of the groups (there's A B C), sometimes you end up sitting around school during a 1.5 hour break because you don't have OMM on the same day anymore.

Ideally you could study but it's hard to just get into the zone for an hour.

Interviewed 1/23. Just received my rejection email. Hurts a little bit but still gonna keep my head up for this cycle. Best of luck to everyone else.

Accepted!!!

This was my first interview (on 1/23) and I could not be happier!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!!

Interviewed 1/23. Super excited!!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! Hoping for the best!

1/23 squad reporting in. Accepted! PM me who y’all were! Happy to see a couple of us made it in!

Accepted too!! Interviewed with y'all on 1/23

:highfive:Congrats to 1/23 interviewees who got accepted! Welcome to the family!

Congrats to everyone who got recently accepted!! Can’t wait to meet everyone

II today. Just nervous because it is a new school. What did everyone think of the interview and school? Also do they have mandatory attendance?

Reactions: 1 users
II today. Just nervous because it is a new school. What did everyone think of the interview and school? Also do they have mandatory attendance?

Wondering when you submitted your secondary. Would appreciate if you shared!

We can't discuss the interview because we signed an NDA. Just be yourself and you'll do fine. As for the school, it's very impressive, the attention to detail and overall environment that they've built is strongly centered around the students, which I think is nice.. you can tell they care about the students. I asked some current students when I had my interview and they said attendance was not mandatory for regular classes. I believe attendance is required for OMM, but I think that's standard practice.

I'm also curious if there is a FB group for the '19-'20 entering class!

For everyone asking there is a FB group. You should recieve an invitation after your initial deposit for your seat. If you didn't just contact BCOM. They are super helpful and friendly!

We can't discuss the interview because we signed an NDA. Just be yourself and you'll do fine. As for the school, it's very impressive, the attention to detail and overall environment that they've built is strongly centered around the students, which I think is nice.. you can tell they care about the students. I asked some current students when I had my interview and they said attendance was not mandatory for regular classes. I believe attendance is required for OMM, but I think that's standard practice.

I'm also curious if there is a FB group for the '19-'20 entering class!

It's a real grey area. But Tuesdays and Thursdays have mandatory classes. Anything classified as "active learning" is considered mandatory.