2018-2019 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be declining my acceptance! Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted. Even with the school being so new there seems to be a ton of upside and the right admin in place to make this a great place to start our training.

Can anyone comment on how much emphasis there is on preparing for usmle/comlex? Ie) How much dedicated time is there for board prep? I looked at the academic calendar and it looks like second year ends in late May, which seems a bit late. Are exam questions board style? Does the school provide full-length NBME exams? Are students required to pass the NBOME exam to sit for boards?

During the interview day, I recall hearing about a three-week crash course for board prep through Kaplan. Does this course start after the spring semester ends or is it part of the semester? Is having the school offer a program like this unique or advantageous?

Lastly, does anyone know if there are any/plans for ultrasound integration into the curriculum?

Thank you in advance for your time and insights!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II today. Secondary submitted 12/17.

Last edited:
II on 2/15. What dates are people interviewing? Looking for someone to carpool with, possibly for March 27th.

Does anyone have any info/updates about BCOM's eligibility for federal loans? This week's Patriot Act has me thinking about the importance of income-based repayment - which seems to only be available for federal loans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is anybody else interviewing on 3/6? Are there any recommendations on what type of transportation to take from the El Paso International airport to and from Burrell? (ex: is uber cheaper than taking an airport shuttle?)

Does anyone have any info/updates about BCOM's eligibility for federal loans? This week's Patriot Act has me thinking about the importance of income-based repayment - which seems to only be available for federal loans.

As of right now we still don't have federal loans.

Hey everyone,

Interviewed 02/25. Expected result date- 03/08.

However, I have an acceptance that has deadline on same 03/08. I would like to wait to know that result before I take my final decision.

I would like to know what time normally BCOM posts the results. Is it email or their website or phone call?

Appreciate any suggestions, thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Interviewed 02/25. Expected result date- 03/08.

However, I have an acceptance that has deadline on same 03/08. I would like to wait to know that result before I take my final decision.

I would like to know what time normally BCOM posts the results. Is it email or their website or phone call?

Appreciate any suggestions, thank you :)

Mine was exactly a week after the interview. I received the email around 1 pm EST. I'm not sure if that's their usual time of sending decisions, though. Also, there's a possibility that it might take them more than a week (although that's rare).

Accepted from wait-list. Interviewed in early November. What’s the status on federal loans here? Pretty confident in the school I already put my deposit down at, but just making sure!

Accepted from wait-list. Interviewed in early November. What’s the status on federal loans here? Pretty confident in the school I already put my deposit down at, but just making sure!
still waiting... they submitted the paperwork, so just waiting for the government.

Also just accepted off the waitlist. Interviewed back in September. Will be declining though so hope it goes to one of you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone comment on what a deferred acceptance means and how likely it would be to get a seat in this year’s class?

Has anybody from the 2/25 interview received an acceptance or are they only deferring/ rejecting applicants now?

What does deferred acceptance even mean?

Received II today but will be turning it down. Good luck all!

Received II today but will be turning it down. Good luck all!
Congratulation Kiwi! See how your cycle is turning upside down!! Mind if I ask when were you complete?

Anyone received notice from 3/6 interview?

Yep! Heard back via email on 3/19. WL! Good luck! Have you tried calling their office?

Not yet, I will call tomorrow. Thanks.

Just got an interview for here today!!!!!

Edit: Hoping they get financial aid before the Fall semester.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the acceptance rate here is like?

Last edited:
Just got an interview for here today!!!!!

Edit: Hoping they get financial aid before the Fall semester.
congrats! do you remember when you submitted your secondary?

/
congrats! do you remember when you submitted your secondary?
Thank you, I'm excited! Applied on 02/16, received an invitation to complete the secondary the same day and submitted it that same day. Did not do a video or submit an art.

Last edited:
question for current that interviewed late in the cycle - april here :/ Are we essentially interviewing to be on the waitlist?

question for current that interviewed late in the cycle - april here :/ Are we essentially interviewing to be on the waitlist?
Heard they would've mentioned it in the e-mail if you're interviewing for a waitlist spot, plus, there are two more interview dates after 04/05 the last time I checked. We shall find out in a few days.

Heard they would've mentioned it in the e-mail if you're interviewing for a waitlist spot, plus, there are two more interview dates after 04/05 the last time I checked. We shall find out in a few days.
okay cool, thanks! see you then :)

Just got an email for a deferred acceptance. Does anyone know if this is just a wait list for this year or if the acceptance can carry over to next year?

Just got an email for a deferred acceptance. Does anyone know if this is just a wait list for this year or if the acceptance can carry over to next year?
This is new since I don't see it on the catalog. I noticed some other applicants mentioned it earlier in this thread. Could you clarify from admissions? Past threads have mentioned applicants being pulled from the deferred acceptance list first before pulling applicants from the waitlist.

Just received my interview invite today, will be interview on Monday (4/15/2019). Any advice or tips? Also, congratulations to everyone who has been accepted already :) And I wish the best of luck to everyone who is applying and still pursing their dream of going to medical school. Don't ever give up :)
Congrats!!