2018-2019 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
are you low-key giving us insider info?
Nah, as you can see it’s just a suggested trend from previous years. It’s never a sure thing betting on Monday’s.

I am a current M3 though, so happy to answer questions or just help all of you with the anxiety of the new application cycle.

Hang in there everyone! Just because you don’t get an interview invite in September, or even by January doesn’t mean the game is over. It can take a lot of time to get through the usual 6,000+ applicants. CMed takes a very wholesome approach, looking at the whole applicant, not just their numbers. This is a very good thing - but tends to take a little more time.

Best wishes to everyone applying this year!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those with interviews, do you happen to know what your portal status was prior to the II? In year's past it went from under review to review complete to II, curious to know if this trend is continuing. Many thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
For those with interviews, do you happen to know what your portal status was prior to the II? In year's past it went from under review to review complete to II, curious to know if this trend is continuing. Many thanks!
I didn't notice a change between being "under review" and receiving my II... Could have missed it though

Does anyone know how many people are interviewed at each interview day? Is it bad to opt for a later interview date (say 3rd day instead of 2nd interview day) if you just don't feel ready? This rolling admission process really does favor doing things as early as possible, but I also recognize that doing it well is necessary too...

Does anyone know how many people are interviewed at each interview day? Is it bad to opt for a later interview date (say 3rd day instead of 2nd interview day) if you just don't feel ready? This rolling admission process really does favor doing things as early as possible, but I also recognize that doing it well is necessary too...

this is just an n=1, but I interviewed here in late November, and got an acceptance call literally a week later. I don't think it matters AT ALL. Just don't pick an interview date in February, other than that, zero difference this early in the game. Especially because they'll review the first few dates as an entire group before sending out the first round of acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users

Sorry the question is off topic, what are the interview dates?

Sorry the question is off topic, what are the interview dates?

September 28th. That's the only one I've seen. You could probably find out additional dates if you call the admissions office and ask.

Good luck everyone! Just relax with the interview day, be yourself, and have fun when you can. Enthusiasm is a definite positive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do y'all think its too late to submit my secondary for here?
I’ve always heard after Labor Day is generally “late”. Just a fellow applicant, so this is by no means coming from someone in the know, just an expert “researcher”, if you will.

From SDN reports, there has only been 1 wave of II (~9/6) this year. Last year the first wave of II was 9/5 and the second didn’t happen till about 9/21 and the last II wave from last year was towards the middle of February. CMU also doesn’t look at MCAT/GPA to make an II decision. Being that it’s a mission driven school, I’d say if you have a desire to work in rural/underserved care and your extracurriculars demonstrate it, shoot your shot, but probably best to do it sooner than later.

Awesome, thank you so much for the information

Last edited:
oh seriously?!

upload_2018-9-18_16-45-32.png

Can any current students comment on how you're assigned to your CCC location? Lottery, random assignment, etc?

So I submitted secondary August 11th and all letters were in before then. my portal says app complete but I never got a complete email and I still have a red exclamation point for the under review section.. is this normal or is my app held up somehow?

II today! OOS, LizzyM Score 66-69. Secondary received July 10th, submitted July 18th.

I logged into the portal and it shows the only available interview date is September 28. I will call tomorrow to ask if other dates are available, and I'll report back when I find out. Congrats to everyone receiving interviews, and good luck to everyone waiting! Your time will come!!

I’m OOS and have an interview in MI next month. Are they receptive to in the area emails?

II today! OOS, LizzyM Score 66-69. Secondary received July 10th, submitted July 18th.

I logged into the portal and it shows the only available interview date is September 28. I will call tomorrow to ask if other dates are available, and I'll report back when I find out. Congrats to everyone receiving interviews, and good luck to everyone waiting! Your time will come!!

So I called the admissions office just now. They said that interview dates for the following week will open up once all of the spots for Sept 28th are full, so we just have to keep checking the portal for new dates to open up. In case anyone was wondering!

Can any current students comment on how you're assigned to your CCC location? Lottery, random assignment, etc?

its an algorithm created by one of the graduated students. Essentially, you set your preference for timing (first 6mo or second 6mo), and then your preference for location. You have 100 "points" to allocate to what is more important to you, either timing or location. Then this algorithm spits out your site so that the maximum number of people are happy.
Ex: I realllllllyyy wanted my CCC to be the first 6mo and cared less about location. So I allocated 65 pts to timing and 35 to location. Got the timing I wanted, and my 3rd location choice overall.

its an algorithm created by one of the graduated students. Essentially, you set your preference for timing (first 6mo or second 6mo), and then your preference for location. You have 100 "points" to allocate to what is more important to you, either timing or location. Then this algorithm spits out your site so that the maximum number of people are happy.
Ex: I realllllllyyy wanted my CCC to be the first 6mo and cared less about location. So I allocated 65 pts to timing and 35 to location. Got the timing I wanted, and my 3rd location choice overall.

Actually they’ve changed, class of 2020 on. (I’m in class of 2020). Now you rank your preferences, and it’s basically a lottery system, names drawn randomly and students given favored ranks according to this system. There’s no longer any type of points system to grant students favored locations. You can trade with other students. It worked out decently well for my year.

You are given a chance to receive special considerations depending on health or family reasons. If you’re given this consideration you do not participate in the lottery. The special considerations were sparingly given, just as a warning to future students who may struggle being placed in a rural location.

That said, I didn’t get my top pick for ccc. However, I am in med student heaven right now. The docs where I am LOVE teaching me and showing me the ropes, I’m learning surgery, emergency, radiology and other specialities in addition to the primary care time. The ccc program is incredible.

Reactions: 2 users
Actually they’ve changed, class of 2020 on. (I’m in class of 2020). Now you rank your preferences, and it’s basically a lottery system, names drawn randomly and students given favored ranks according to this system. There’s no longer any type of points system to grant students favored locations. You can trade with other students. It worked out decently well for my year.

You are given a chance to receive special considerations depending on health or family reasons. If you’re given this consideration you do not participate in the lottery. The special considerations were sparingly given, just as a warning to future students who may struggle being placed in a rural location.

That said, I didn’t get my top pick for ccc. However, I am in med student heaven right now. The docs where I am LOVE teaching me and showing me the ropes, I’m learning surgery, emergency, radiology and other specialities in addition to the primary care time. The ccc program is incredible.
Thanks for the insight! I'm trying to think of if I can give my wife the opportunity to fulfill her own career goals if I attend CMU. Is it pretty doable to live for 2 years in Mount Pleasant and then 2 years in Saginaw, and just commute to wherever my CCC placement is near Saginaw?

Thanks for the insight! I'm trying to think of if I can give my wife the opportunity to fulfill her own career goals if I attend CMU. Is it pretty doable to live for 2 years in Mount Pleasant and then 2 years in Saginaw, and just commute to wherever my CCC placement is near Saginaw?

Definitely, a LOT of people do this exact scenario. During ccc it’s definitely possible to commute up to an hour one way, some people even do more. The CCC period is a little more laid back and you will have a bit more time on your hands than you do during clinical rotations or the first two years for those who have to study a great deal.

There’s also many ccc sites within an hour or so of Saginaw, which increases your chances of getting a site that permits this. Many people who ranked Saginaw/Bay City/Midland - this is the tricities area, all within about 20 minutes of each other- sites higher even got those sites. This means you have a decent chance of having a very small commute for 3rd and 4th year.

Hope this makes sense!

Definitely, a LOT of people do this exact scenario. During ccc it’s definitely possible to commute up to an hour one way, some people even do more. The CCC period is a little more laid back and you will have a bit more time on your hands than you do during clinical rotations or the first two years for those who have to study a great deal.

There’s also many ccc sites within an hour or so of Saginaw, which increases your chances of getting a site that permits this. Many people who ranked Saginaw/Bay City/Midland - this is the tricities area, all within about 20 minutes of each other- sites higher even got those sites. This means you have a decent chance of having a very small commute for 3rd and 4th year.

Hope this makes sense!
That's great, thanks for the info!

Do u know in what manner CMU reviews applications? Ik they don’t use stats so is it Chronological? Random? Etc
That I’m not sure of, but I know they have things on their website stating some of this info... I thinks few people may have screen-shot or quoted that on this thread even.

I just got put under review. If they like an applicant's profile, does CMU usually send the II right away or keep people waiting regardless?

Last edited:

Congrats! Do you remember how long you were put under review?

Just in case anyone is wondering about where the school is at in terms of putting applicants under review, I was completed 8/31. Was put under review on Thursday 9/20 or Friday 9/21 (checked on Wednesday/Friday, didn’t check on Thursday)

current M2 here, does not matter in my opinion!

lol II literally just now (11:55 pm). IS; complete 7/17

I was complete on 9/5. And then was put under review on 9/20. Is it normal to be put under review so quickly?

I'm only asking, because I don't want to be super excited if this is normal since I'm seeing that a lot of people are not under review until a month or longer.

Last edited:
I was complete on 9/5. And then was put under review on 9/20. Is it normal to be put under review so quickly?

I'm only asking, because I don't want to be super excited if this is normal since I'm seeing that a lot of people are not under review until a month or longer.
I think it's normal, it took longer in the beginning because a lot of people completed in june/july. Think of the number of applications with a positively skewed bell curve.

Does anyone know if CMU is receptive to ITA notifications? I'm moving out of state soon and it would be a lot more convenient if I could plan everything out