2018-2019 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! complete early October.

Goodluck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Where did people stay during the interview? Also, I am assuming flying into Philly airport will be the easiest way to commute? Not planning on renting a car.

Anyone here know Cooper’s post-interview acceptance rate?

Reactions: 1 users
Where did people stay during the interview? Also, I am assuming flying into Philly airport will be the easiest way to commute? Not planning on renting a car.

Flying into Philly is def the move, however you should look at Google Maps and familiarize yourself with PATCO (public transit) before arriving

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know how to withdraw your app here? there's no button on the portal

Interviewing this week, any advice for the interview?

Accepted! Interviewed 12/14. Got the call the Thursday after. Can't wait!

Interviewing this week, any advice for the interview?
Just be yourself. Care and express about wanting to live and really care for this city and population, which could be your new home.

Does this work? More? Less?

Reactions: 2 users
Just be yourself. Care and express about wanting to live and really care for this city and population, which could be your new home.

Does this work? More? Less?

Perfect! They seem to really care about the surrounding underprivileged population of Camden.

Really excited to interview, it seems like a great place!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got done interviewing. WOW. I dont think I’ve been more impressed with any school so far after interview day.

Amazing culture they already
have and are trying to build with students and faculty. The facilities are really nice and new. You can tell they care about their students well being and success. I’ve interviewed at ~6 other places that were “higher ranked” but I think I just fell in love with Cooper. My vision as a physician dovetails really well with their mission. I’d be able to continue with my orthopedic clinical research in Philadelphia as a med student (which has lead to multiple pubs already)

I have in interest in either pediatrics or orthopedics. I know Cooper Med has an emphasis on primary care and matches well in peds, but I’m not sure how they fare in placing students into Ortho?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got done interviewing. WOW. I dont think I’ve been more impressed with any school so far after interview day.

Amazing culture they already
have and are trying to build with students and faculty. The facilities are really nice and new. You can tell they care about their students well being and success. I’ve interviewed at ~6 other places that were “higher ranked” but I think I just fell in love with Cooper. My vision as a physician dovetails really well with their mission. I’d be able to continue with my orthopedic clinical research in Philadelphia as a med student (which has lead to multiple pubs already)

I have in interest in either pediatrics or orthopedics. I know Cooper Med has an emphasis on primary care and matches well in peds, but I’m not sure how they fare in placing students into Ortho?

Very happy to hear that you liked the school! Take a look at the Match lists from the past few years. I can’t say we’re a powerhouse for ortho matches (I’m personally shooting for a top neurology program) but past students who were interested in ortho didn’t seem to have a problem (including a number who matched in ortho at penn)

Best of luck! I hope you get in!!

Very happy to hear that you liked the school! Take a look at the Match lists from the past few years. I can’t say we’re a powerhouse for ortho matches (I’m personally shooting for a top neurology program) but past students who were interested in ortho didn’t seem to have a problem (including a number who matched in ortho at penn)

Best of luck! I hope you get in!!

Question for ya as a current med student, hope you can give me better insight. If I’m interested in Ortho, is the curriculum of the school more important in achieving, or is it usually based on individual prep effort + critical thinking skills?

The school gives you the basics that you need to succeed, but to actually match in ortho, you'll of course need to have a lot of motivation and self-discipline. That said, Cooper has a pretty solid ortho department because of the large number of trauma cases. We also have a home ortho residency program. I'm not shooting for ortho so I can't say from personal experience, but the PD came and gave a talk one day; I'm sure he's open to giving advice and helping you make connections if you reach out. On another note, here are the match lists for the last 2 years

http://cmsruapps.rowan.edu/file/svWJqM8p48WbU8iLhpmL0uqMUh6N1f
http://cmsru.rowan.edu/about/files/ResidencyListings2017.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
The school gives you the basics that you need to succeed, but to actually match in ortho, you'll of course need to have a lot of motivation and self-discipline. That said, Cooper has a pretty solid ortho department because of the large number of trauma cases. We also have a home ortho residency program. I'm not shooting for ortho so I can't say from personal experience, but the PD came and gave a talk one day; I'm sure he's open to giving advice and helping you make connections if you reach out. On another note, here are the match lists for the last 2 years

http://cmsruapps.rowan.edu/file/svWJqM8p48WbU8iLhpmL0uqMUh6N1f
http://cmsru.rowan.edu/about/files/ResidencyListings2017.pdf

Thank you! Overall, you would say you’re very happy with your decision at Cooper? Is there a lot of help/collaboration between class Years and M2s helping out M1s?

I'm definitely happy with my decision. I had a couple other places to choose from (including one that's ranked pretty high according to US news). It was weird adjusting at first because the class size is pretty small, and I came from a large state university, but I've come to appreciate all my classmates. We have a lot of small group work, so you really do get to know all your classmates on some level. As for interclass support, its definitely there. We have advisory colleges where you get paired up with an upperclassman who is your "pal" for the year. Because the Cooper Rowan Clinic teams are composed of an M1, M2, and M3, you get to know your team well throughout the year. Service learning organizations are also composed of M1-M4's so you're able to make connections there too. For the most part, everyone just has a lot of pride in our school, from the students to the faculty, to the administrative staff so it tends to be a pretty supportive environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
II this week! So excited :)

Complete date 10/12. Received continued review email 11/13.
If I never got a continued review email after early August submission, does it mean they haven’t looked at my app or that I’m rejected?

For anyone with upcoming interviews, DM me if you wanna get coffee and talk over interview day and/or CMSRU in general. Been doing this on reddit for some applicants, forgot to post it here.

For those that have already interviewed: how long was the traditional interview? Was it open/closed file? Also, is there a space to store bags? Thank you!

For those that have already interviewed: how long was the traditional interview? Was it open/closed file? Also, is there a space to store bags? Thank you!
As a current M1, about 30 minutes was the standard for me and my class. Two people will interview you at the same time; one will have your file, and the other will not. So imo, it's about using what you're talking about with the file holder to provide the person without some insight, much like when a friend comes up to your group and you have to bring them up to speed. As far as bags go, while there are no lockers that we used or I know about for you guys, we have a rack in the lobby where nobody should touch your stuff (it's where coats, etc. go). We also have cameras all around the school, so should somebody take it, security will be able to figure out who it is. And the school has all your photos and will have everyone on camera all day, so, it should be okay. Worse comes to worse, don't bring it, or ask/tell security you're going to leave your bag (unattended bags may be, in todays world, cause for alarm) over by/around/in the rack. You can also call and ask admissions anonymously.

Best of luck!

As a current M1, about 30 minutes was the standard for me and my class. Two people will interview you at the same time; one will have your file, and the other will not. So imo, it's about using what you're talking about with the file holder to provide the person without some insight, much like when a friend comes up to your group and you have to bring them up to speed. As far as bags go, while there are no lockers that we used or I know about for you guys, we have a rack in the lobby where nobody should touch your stuff (it's where coats, etc. go). We also have cameras all around the school, so should somebody take it, security will be able to figure out who it is. And the school has all your photos and will have everyone on camera all day, so, it should be okay. Worse comes to worse, don't bring it, or ask/tell security you're going to leave your bag (unattended bags may be, in todays world, cause for alarm) over by/around/in the rack. You can also call and ask admissions anonymously.

Best of luck!
Are IIs going out? and what will be dead line for IIs (stop going out)? Applied end of 8/2018 and did not hear anything except " we are reviewing your application, your statics are really good" LOL

Are IIs going out? and what will be dead line for IIs (stop going out)? Applied end of 8/2018 and did not hear anything except " we are reviewing your application, your statics are really good" LOL
lol I don't know man. I'm not on the committee. You should call and see how many IIs are left!

Just got the acceptance call this morning!! Had an awesome experience on interview day here. I would be so happy if I end up here in the fall!

does anyone know how late into the day they call on the day of acceptances?

or from people with acceptances what time did you get the call

Yes, around the 15th of last month

Anyone recently got II? sitting silently from the last 4 months LOL

Reactions: 2 users
interviewing tmrw! does cooper serve breakfast or would i be best off tossing a granola bar in my tote?? :xf:

They serve breakfast! Bagels and fruits and muffins and coffee and stuff like that if I remember correctly. They don’t serve lunch because the days technically over at 1230, but the informal meet and greet event with current med students afterwards has more snack like options and coffee I believe.

Good luck tomorrow! Feel free to PM me if you want to ask any specific questions about the interview day or school in general

Any tips for interview day? Will there be a lot of walking? Is the tour indoors? Thanks :)