You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)
Started by chizledfrmstone
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
verified 5/24. Maryland resident.
undergrad: cGPA 3.19/sGPA 2.95
graduate (40 credits): cGPA 4.0/sGPA 4.0
overall: cGPA 3.39/sGPA 3.28
MCAT: 508 (126/124/129/129)
undergrad: cGPA 3.19/sGPA 2.95
graduate (40 credits): cGPA 4.0/sGPA 4.0
overall: cGPA 3.39/sGPA 3.28
MCAT: 508 (126/124/129/129)
Verified 5/21
Good luck to all the applicants out there!
Good luck to all the applicants out there!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted600623
Did anyone actually fill the 3000 characters in the primary for that question about osteopathic medicine?
Did anyone actually fill the 3000 characters in the primary for that question about osteopathic medicine?
I filled it just because I had several things that were important and relevant. As long as you answer the question, quality over quantity!
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
you guys think this school will have a secondary or just the questions from the primary? it looks like in previous years they just had the primary questions
No secondary. Just primary questions. I'm a Master's student there. Love it. Feel free to ask any questions!you guys think this school will have a secondary or just the questions from the primary? it looks like in previous years they just had the primary questions
Current 4th year at DMU welcoming any and all questions on here or as a PM.
Good luck to all of you!
Good luck to all of you!
Current 4th year at DMU welcoming any and all questions on here or as a PM.
Good luck to all of you!
How rural or city-like is it? And would you say students are shown more rural medicine?
How rural or city-like is it? And would you say students are shown more rural medicine?
Des Moines itself is more city, but it gets more and more rural the further you get out of it until you reach other bigger towns like Omaha, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, etc. I don't think we are shown more rural medicine, if you want more rural training you can absolutely find it, Iowa is great for it, but it's not forced on you at all. We have third year training sites in places like Chicago and Milwaukee, but others in places like Oscaloosa and Newton. It just depends on what you're looking for.
D
deleted600623
When do they typically start offering interviews since there is no secondary?
When do they typically start offering interviews since there is no secondary?
Within 60 days. If 60 days go by, make sure you call or email. After that I believe interview start in the beginning of August.
Looks like they may have changed that to 90 recently. But their website says 60-90Within 60 days. If 60 days go by, make sure you call or email. After that I believe interview start in the beginning of August.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So 90 days after we are verified we will hear about interviews?Looks like they may have changed that to 90 recently. But their website says 60-90
Is there any secondary fee even though there isn't a separate secondary? Also did anyone receive any confirmation after submitting their DMU primary?
Waiting for an email from DMU regarding my application being complete. After submitting the primary (and the corresponding "primary" questions that serve as a secondary) I wish I spent more time on the questions
D
deleted600623
Waiting for an email from DMU regarding my application being complete. After submitting the primary (and the corresponding "primary" questions that serve as a secondary) I wish I spent more time on the questions
Same here. Hoping for the best.
Did anyone notice on DMU-COM's website that they added an "optional" completion of a CASPer test to submit? Has anyone heard of this? If you click on the link below you can find it in when scrolling down to number 6 on the application process instructions. I didn't submit one but I'm wondering if any of you did and what the point of it is.
How to Apply - Des Moines University
How to Apply - Des Moines University
Did anyone notice on DMU-COM's website that they added an "optional" completion of a CASPer test to submit? Has anyone heard of this? If you click on the link below you can find it in when scrolling down to number 6 on the application process instructions. I didn't submit one but I'm wondering if any of you did and what the point of it is.
How to Apply - Des Moines University
I did it. I took it last year too when I applied MD, so I knew what I was in for.
Hey guys I try to do this early on cuz people did it for me on here.
I’m a rising second year, non traditional, with a family who moved from the Chicago area. If anybody has questions or whatever about the school or med school in general feel free to hit me up
I’m a rising second year, non traditional, with a family who moved from the Chicago area. If anybody has questions or whatever about the school or med school in general feel free to hit me up
Thanks in advance!Hey guys I try to do this early on cuz people did it for me on here.
I’m a rising second year, non traditional, with a family who moved from the Chicago area. If anybody has questions or whatever about the school or med school in general feel free to hit me up
1) Family meaning wife/husband and kid(s)?
2) if yes for the kids, how old and how tough was it for you being a parent and a medical student?
3) do you enjoy Des Moines as much as Iowa? Im a Chicagoan myself, but i have always been waiting to move out of the city so im.looking forward to being in a suburb or smaller city
I talked to admissions today about it, they said since it's their first year doing it, they are making it optional. They said that it won't make a difference with interview invites, but possibly admission decisions.Did anyone notice on DMU-COM's website that they added an "optional" completion of a CASPer test to submit? Has anyone heard of this? If you click on the link below you can find it in when scrolling down to number 6 on the application process instructions. I didn't submit one but I'm wondering if any of you did and what the point of it is.
How to Apply - Des Moines University
Thanks in advance!
1) Family meaning wife/husband and kid(s)?
2) if yes for the kids, how old and how tough was it for you being a parent and a medical student?
3) do you enjoy Des Moines as much as Iowa? Im a Chicagoan myself, but i have always been waiting to move out of the city so im.looking forward to being in a suburb or smaller city
I don’t have kids (yet) but a wife. She’s got a job so that helps but I live by advice I got: “don’t let medical school completely take over and ruin your relationships. With parents/friends/etc. it isn’t worth it to be miserable and alone.”
I’m much more laid back about grades and such for the most part than some of my classmates though.
I know people who have had 1-2 kids and still killed it at DMU it’s all about time management and coffee. DMU is super family-friendly and family oriented.
I love Des Moines. There’s a lot to do and it’s a lot easier to get around than the bigger cities. The city takes old out of commission railways and converts them to bike/walking paths that are paved so that’s a good workout. Plus people have set up bars and restaurants off the paths which makes for a good bar crawl.
I live right by school so the local bars are perfect for post-exam destressors. The people themselves around here seem to be super active and nice.
I wish there were more residencies besides IM here because I would have no problem staying here. It isn’t for everyone but being from the Midwest it’s a good place. Also cost of living is like half of what Chicago is
I don’t have kids (yet) but a wife. She’s got a job so that helps but I live by advice I got: “don’t let medical school completely take over and ruin your relationships. With parents/friends/etc. it isn’t worth it to be miserable and alone.”
I’m much more laid back about grades and such for the most part than some of my classmates though.
I know people who have had 1-2 kids and still killed it at DMU it’s all about time management and coffee. DMU is super family-friendly and family oriented.
I love Des Moines. There’s a lot to do and it’s a lot easier to get around than the bigger cities. The city takes old out of commission railways and converts them to bike/walking paths that are paved so that’s a good workout. Plus people have set up bars and restaurants off the paths which makes for a good bar crawl.
I live right by school so the local bars are perfect for post-exam destressors. The people themselves around here seem to be super active and nice.
I wish there were more residencies besides IM here because I would have no problem staying here. It isn’t for everyone but being from the Midwest it’s a good place. Also cost of living is like half of what Chicago is
There's more than IM here. Great peds. residencies and Mercy has a surgical residency. Iowa city is my goal for OB/GYN, but I did ask Dr. Shaw about an OB/GYN residency in Des Moines. Apparently the idea has been floated. I'm optomistic.
I didn’t know about some of those since personally I’m not interested in them but I did know of the peds residency.There's more than IM here. Great peds. residencies and Mercy has a surgical residency. Iowa city is my goal for OB/GYN, but I did ask Dr. Shaw about an OB/GYN residency in Des Moines. Apparently the idea has been floated. I'm optomistic.
Des Moines as a whole is growing hugely so I wouldn’t doubt if something gets started up in the future
For that osteopathic question, do you guys think it's okay if I say that I don't have much exposure to rural medicine coming from a well-served suburb? But having volunteered in a free clinic, I've had conversations with patients who had to drive hours to find us, so I am aware of the need?
Also, the DOs I shadowed were not primary care physicians, but rather ortho. I definitely got exposure to OMM, but I'm a little nervous that I don't have any primary care or rural experiences in relation to osteopathic medicine, which is what they're asking for! Thoughts?
Also, the DOs I shadowed were not primary care physicians, but rather ortho. I definitely got exposure to OMM, but I'm a little nervous that I don't have any primary care or rural experiences in relation to osteopathic medicine, which is what they're asking for! Thoughts?
I had 0 rural med exposure and only shadowed a primary care DO a few times. I had a couple years of inpatient and outpatient CNA experience though. I think you’ll be alright it isn’t a super strict policy at DMU like it is for some schools.For that osteopathic question, do you guys think it's okay if I say that I don't have much exposure to rural medicine coming from a well-served suburb? But having volunteered in a free clinic, I've had conversations with patients who had to drive hours to find us, so I am aware of the need?
Also, the DOs I shadowed were not primary care physicians, but rather ortho. I definitely got exposure to OMM, but I'm a little nervous that I don't have any primary care or rural experiences in relation to osteopathic medicine, which is what they're asking for! Thoughts?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No. I talked to admissions last week. They said that this week or next the AACOMAS apps would roll into DMUs app system and then they'd start sending portal info
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
They'll send you portal information so you can check on letters, etc..
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
Yeah, I am having the same issue.Got an email today with portal login info. Weirdly there is a drop down menu that asks which term you're applying for entry in and the only options are fall 2018 and fall 2020. Anyone else see this?
oh once you get to the actual page about your info it said I'm applying for matriculation in fall 2019. Nvm, no worries.Yeah, I am having the same issue.
Damn, haven't gotten mine yet. Based on your last name, do you think its alphabetical? I fall in the middleoh once you get to the actual page about your info it said I'm applying for matriculation in fall 2019. Nvm, no worries.
So I completed the Casper for another school. I'm not sure if I should send it into here. I guess I might as well!
I’m in the middle as well. No idea. I was verified on June 11 though if that helps.Damn, haven't gotten mine yet. Based on your last name, do you think its alphabetical? I fall in the middle
D
deleted867159
Received my secondary today.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted867159
+1just got an email and made an acct, still says they haven't received supplementary yet...
there are no questions right? we just wait?
I'm confused by this as well.
Also, when you go to check status and view your application as a whole, do you also have blank sections under some categories? For example, blank sections under "Health Related Experience" or "Volunteer 1" I only see a few of my experiences from AACOMAS listed here.
+1
I'm confused by this as well.
Also, when you go to check status and view your application as a whole, do you also have blank sections under some categories? For example, blank sections under "Health Related Experience" or "Volunteer 1" I only see a few of my experiences from AACOMAS listed here.
Is there anything else we have to do after creating an account? Number 4, on the to-do-list, states "submit supplemental items"... but when you click on it, there is nothing to do.
+1
I'm confused by this as well.
Also, when you go to check status and view your application as a whole, do you also have blank sections under some categories? For example, blank sections under "Health Related Experience" or "Volunteer 1" I only see a few of my experiences from AACOMAS listed here.
Under my health related experience and volunteer sections I have the ones I listed from before.
D
deleted867159
Nevermind, just checked again and they are all loaded in now! Thanks for replying.Under my health related experience and volunteer sections I have the ones I listed from before.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 177
- Views
- 61K
- Replies
- 601
- Views
- 159K
- Replies
- 855
- Views
- 184K
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 231K
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 253K