2018-2019 East Tennessee (Quillen)

Started by Lawpy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
********
Next Board Meeting: April 8, 2019
********


Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was on the waitlist and they rejected me in Jan, so now i'm back for round 2 lol

I must say my best interview was here and the chillest(not sure if that is a word) and the pediatric side of their hospital was super nice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waiting to be verified...should be in the next few days. Does it look likely that Quillen will use the same secondary as last year or do the tend to change it up?
 
Application verified 07/31

Receipt that application was received 08/01
 
Last edited:
I got it on my email at 11:53 am. Not terribly worried about this tbh. Just added it based on stats its clear they have a huge IS bias.

its a preference based on state funding for the school, only OSS they will consider are vets (at least that what I remember being told when I visited their campus).
 
Question, I'm a re-applicant who was on the waitlist. I completed cASPER when I applied last year.. do I have to do it again?
 
I submitted early July and received the "under review" email about a week later. Here is the prompt:

Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students:
Interpersonal:
Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication;
Intrapersonal: Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement;
Thinking and Reasoning: Critical Thinking, Quantitative Reasoning, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication;
Science: Living Systems, Human Behavior

Now imagine that you are enrolled at Quillen and you are serving as a student member of the Admissions Committee. While all of the core competencies are important, and none can be ignored, the Committee does not want to automatically assume that the various competencies should be given equal weight. Accordingly, the Committee has agreed to consider ranking the competencies in terms of priority.

With this task in mind, please identify which of the fifteen core competencies you would recommend to receive the highest priority, and which you would recommend as the lowest priority. Along with your recommendations, please outline key facts and reasoning that you would offer to the Committee to explain and defend your choices. There are no categorically right or wrong answers to this question.

Please limit your answer to 3000 characters.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted early July and received the "under review" email about a week later. Here is the prompt:

Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students:
Interpersonal:
Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication;
Intrapersonal: Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement;
Thinking and Reasoning: Critical Thinking, Quantitative Reasoning, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication;
Science: Living Systems, Human Behavior

Now imagine that you are enrolled at Quillen and you are serving as a student member of the Admissions Committee. While all of the core competencies are important, and none can be ignored, the Committee does not want to automatically assume that the various competencies should be given equal weight. Accordingly, the Committee has agreed to consider ranking the competencies in terms of priority.

With this task in mind, please identify which of the fifteen core competencies you would recommend to receive the highest priority, and which you would recommend as the lowest priority. Along with your recommendations, please outline key facts and reasoning that you would offer to the Committee to explain and defend your choices. There are no categorically right or wrong answers to this question.

Please limit your answer to 3000 characters.

so only one essay? nice!
 
Has anyone else received the secondary? I'm in-state and received the application is under review e-mail a month ago and still haven't heard anything.
 
Has anyone else received the secondary? I'm in-state and received the application is under review e-mail a month ago and still haven't heard anything.
Yes, someone posted earlier on here that they received one on July 17, they submitted early July.
I submitted mid July so hoping to get secondary soon...:whistle:
 
Secondary received. IS applicant. I can confirm the essay given above so get cracking if you haven't already.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
 
Just got my secondary. OOS, but military.

Edit: okay, super neurotic question. At the end of the email, it says:

We will notify you when your file is complete. After your completed file is reviewed by our Admissions Committee, we will be in contact with you regarding the next steps to be taken. Please send an immediate reply to this message to verify receipt to: [email protected]

Does that mean when you're complete? Or do they want us to send it now?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nowhere near the stats as Matthew above, but OOS military seems to be a common thread. I also have a super unique military background and a career in between military and now that is also very unique (as in, if anyone comes even close to the level of unique I'm talking about it would be insane).
 
Nowhere near the stats as Matthew above, but OOS military seems to be a common thread. I also have a super unique military background and a career in between military and now that is also very unique (as in, if anyone comes even close to the level of unique I'm talking about it would be insane).

Yeah they don’t really look at OOS unless you’re military or a border county.

The percentage of their class that is military is like 9-11%. It’s insane.
 
For the IS folks who still have not gotten a secondary--- I called them asking about what the status was. They said that in my case, my app had gone through the FIRST screen and is being processed through the second screen and I should hear something regarding the secondary in the next week or so. My stats are about avg for last year's class, if that helps. IDK what a "second screen" is relating to, since I'm IS but I didn't ask about it.
 
For the IS folks who still have not gotten a secondary--- I called them asking about what the status was. They said that in my case, my app had gone through the FIRST screen and is being processed through the second screen and I should hear something regarding the secondary in the next week or so. My stats are about avg for last year's class, if that helps. IDK what a "second screen" is relating to, since I'm IS but I didn't ask about it.
Mind sharing LizzyM?
 
For the IS folks who still have not gotten a secondary--- I called them asking about what the status was. They said that in my case, my app had gone through the FIRST screen and is being processed through the second screen and I should hear something regarding the secondary in the next week or so. My stats are about avg for last year's class, if that helps. IDK what a "second screen" is relating to, since I'm IS but I didn't ask about it.
Glad you called them, I was wondering the same thing!
 
I may have missed this, I apologize if so, but is the 3000 character limit including or excluding spaces? Does anyone know?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Matthew9Thirtyfive How did you verify military service? I emailed them but haven't received a response yet.