2018-2019 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
Next Board Meeting: April 8, 2019

Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was on the waitlist and they rejected me in Jan, so now i'm back for round 2 lol

I must say my best interview was here and the chillest(not sure if that is a word) and the pediatric side of their hospital was super nice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting to be verified...should be in the next few days. Does it look likely that Quillen will use the same secondary as last year or do the tend to change it up?

Reactions: 1 user
Also received email stating application received and is under review for secondary.

Yes, today.

I thought they only mailed you termination letters. Can I ask when and what time you got the email?
Anyways, best of luck in other schools. There are many other good ones out there

I got it on my email at 11:53 am. Not terribly worried about this tbh. Just added it based on stats its clear they have a huge IS bias.

Application verified 07/31

Receipt that application was received 08/01

Last edited:
I got it on my email at 11:53 am. Not terribly worried about this tbh. Just added it based on stats its clear they have a huge IS bias.

its a preference based on state funding for the school, only OSS they will consider are vets (at least that what I remember being told when I visited their campus).

Question, I'm a re-applicant who was on the waitlist. I completed cASPER when I applied last year.. do I have to do it again?

Anyone get a secondary yet? Seems they are later this year getting them out?

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you get the....'.received application, under review' email? Just got mine last week. I submitted mid July though.

Hmm I got their secondary July 17th, not sure about anyone else

I submitted early July and received the "under review" email about a week later. Here is the prompt:

Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students:
Interpersonal:
Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication;
Intrapersonal: Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement;
Thinking and Reasoning: Critical Thinking, Quantitative Reasoning, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication;
Science: Living Systems, Human Behavior

Now imagine that you are enrolled at Quillen and you are serving as a student member of the Admissions Committee. While all of the core competencies are important, and none can be ignored, the Committee does not want to automatically assume that the various competencies should be given equal weight. Accordingly, the Committee has agreed to consider ranking the competencies in terms of priority.

With this task in mind, please identify which of the fifteen core competencies you would recommend to receive the highest priority, and which you would recommend as the lowest priority. Along with your recommendations, please outline key facts and reasoning that you would offer to the Committee to explain and defend your choices. There are no categorically right or wrong answers to this question.

Please limit your answer to 3000 characters.

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted early July and received the "under review" email about a week later. Here is the prompt:

Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students:
Interpersonal:
Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication;
Intrapersonal: Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement;
Thinking and Reasoning: Critical Thinking, Quantitative Reasoning, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication;
Science: Living Systems, Human Behavior

Now imagine that you are enrolled at Quillen and you are serving as a student member of the Admissions Committee. While all of the core competencies are important, and none can be ignored, the Committee does not want to automatically assume that the various competencies should be given equal weight. Accordingly, the Committee has agreed to consider ranking the competencies in terms of priority.

With this task in mind, please identify which of the fifteen core competencies you would recommend to receive the highest priority, and which you would recommend as the lowest priority. Along with your recommendations, please outline key facts and reasoning that you would offer to the Committee to explain and defend your choices. There are no categorically right or wrong answers to this question.

Please limit your answer to 3000 characters.

so only one essay? nice!

Has anyone else received the secondary? I'm in-state and received the application is under review e-mail a month ago and still haven't heard anything.

Has anyone else received the secondary? I'm in-state and received the application is under review e-mail a month ago and still haven't heard anything.
Yes, someone posted earlier on here that they received one on July 17, they submitted early July.
I submitted mid July so hoping to get secondary soon...:whistle:

Secondary received. IS applicant. I can confirm the essay given above so get cracking if you haven't already.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Secondary received. OOS/ Border County

Just got my secondary. OOS, but military.

Edit: okay, super neurotic question. At the end of the email, it says:

We will notify you when your file is complete. After your completed file is reviewed by our Admissions Committee, we will be in contact with you regarding the next steps to be taken. Please send an immediate reply to this message to verify receipt to: [email protected]

Does that mean when you're complete? Or do they want us to send it now?

Last edited:
With my 130 CARS score, I would analyze it to mean "send the email right now." If there are any 131 or 132ers, I surrender loll.

I was getting 131s on my AAMC FLs and then got a ****ing 129 on the real thing, so I now question my ability to read anything.

I was getting 131s on my AAMC FLs and then got a ****ing 129 on the real thing, so I now question my ability to read anything.
From my experience with them last year they really like feed back, shoot them an email.

its a preference based on state funding for the school, only OSS they will consider are vets (at least that what I remember being told when I visited their campus).
Oh guess thats why I got a secondary

For those that just got secondary when did you submit your application?

For those that just got secondary when did you submit your application?
Mine was verified on June 2nd so went out the 29th with everything complete. Got the "under review" email on July 5th and received the secondary yesterday.

Yeah I got that “verification “ email 8 days ago and still no secondary ... when do I start worrying ?

G
Yeah I got that “verification “ email 8 days ago and still no secondary ... when do I start worrying ?
Got the email two weeks ago, no secondary. In state. o_O

Anyone that has received a secondary care to post their stats? Lizzy M? No biggie, just curious

Nowhere near the stats as Matthew above, but OOS military seems to be a common thread. I also have a super unique military background and a career in between military and now that is also very unique (as in, if anyone comes even close to the level of unique I'm talking about it would be insane).

Nowhere near the stats as Matthew above, but OOS military seems to be a common thread. I also have a super unique military background and a career in between military and now that is also very unique (as in, if anyone comes even close to the level of unique I'm talking about it would be insane).

Yeah they don’t really look at OOS unless you’re military or a border county.

The percentage of their class that is military is like 9-11%. It’s insane.

Reactions: 2 users
For the IS folks who still have not gotten a secondary--- I called them asking about what the status was. They said that in my case, my app had gone through the FIRST screen and is being processed through the second screen and I should hear something regarding the secondary in the next week or so. My stats are about avg for last year's class, if that helps. IDK what a "second screen" is relating to, since I'm IS but I didn't ask about it.

For the IS folks who still have not gotten a secondary--- I called them asking about what the status was. They said that in my case, my app had gone through the FIRST screen and is being processed through the second screen and I should hear something regarding the secondary in the next week or so. My stats are about avg for last year's class, if that helps. IDK what a "second screen" is relating to, since I'm IS but I didn't ask about it.
Mind sharing LizzyM?

Glad you called them, I was wondering the same thing!

I may have missed this, I apologize if so, but is the 3000 character limit including or excluding spaces? Does anyone know?

I may have missed this, I apologize if so, but is the 3000 character limit including or excluding spaces? Does anyone know?

It is safe to assume that all character limits are including spaces. That is standard. But yes, this one is including spaces.