2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted my app today, just waiting on my last transcript to arrive so I can get verified! :) Hoping GT shows me some Cali love.

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted my app today, just waiting on my last transcript to arrive so I can get verified! :) Hoping GT shows me some Cali love.
Does it say your letters are in? Mine says they are missing but got an email from AMCAS saying all my letters are in so....

Reactions: 1 user
@buckoh24 So far 2 of my 7 letters show as being received, the others i dont believe have been sent. Usually when AMCAS emails me saying a letter has arrived, it updates on the app, try calling? if the email says they are received i wouldn't worry

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, secondary received! For the "further information" question, do you think talking about gap year plans is a good idea?

If you think it would help add info they wouldn't otherwise know about you, go for it! I just kept that blank because I didn't think I had anything more to add after that essay, lol

Wow this library (Dahlgren Memorial) does look very dreary from the outside :oops:

DML%20768.JPG
Brutalist architecture is somewhat common in DC

Greetings Hoya Hopefuls,

I will be matriculating at GUSoM as an M1 this August, I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding admissions that are posted in this thread. Alternatively, you can DM me.

Greetings Hoya Hopefuls,

I will be matriculating at GUSoM as an M1 this August, I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding admissions that are posted in this thread. Alternatively, you can DM me.

Thanks for the offer! What do you think distinguishes Georgetown from other med schools?

Does anyone want to swap the why essay? I wasn't sure how "serious" the tone should be.

Thanks for the offer! What do you think distinguishes Georgetown from other med schools?

without sounding too crass not a lot of things, med schools are essentially 90% the same in their function of preparing people to become doctors (and everything that comes along with it: USMLE, bedside manner, etc)

While every school in a way has some form of "we care for the underserved" in their mission, Georgetown is able to examine the relationship through the catholic values of cura personalis and men and women for others.

There is a service hours requirement, but it seems that most students will well exceed it because volunteering is cool and it like advances society n stuff, and georgetown attracts candidates who are into that anyway.

For those into research, there is requirement for a formal research + project poster presentation during M4.

There are these cool academic tracks for those interested in health justice, healthcare leadership, academic medicine, and literature.

If you want to match into competitive specialities georgetown can help get you there (like 10 people matched ortho last year), GUSoM has decent prestige for a relatively meh MCAT/GPA average

YMMV but my upperclass friends tell me that people mostly avoid all the gunnerish BS and that people are generally nice to each other and dont try to tear each other down, people do well by just putting in more effort

Last edited:
without sounding too crass not a lot of things, med schools are essentially 90% the same in their function of preparing people to become doctors (and everything that comes along with it: USMLE, bedside manner, etc)

While every school in a way has some form of "we care for the underserved" in their mission, Georgetown is able to examine the relationship through the catholic values of cura personalis and men and women for others.

There is a service hours requirement, but it seems that most students will well exceed it because volunteering is cool and it like advances society n stuff, and georgetown attracts candidates who are into that anyway.

For those into research, there is requirement for a formal research + project poster presentation during M4.

There are these cool academic tracks for those interested in health justice, healthcare leadership, academic medicine, and literature.

If you want to match into competitive specialities georgetown can help get you there (like 10 people matched ortho last year), GUSoM has decent prestige for a relatively meh MCAT/GPA average

YMMV but my upperclass friends tell me that people mostly avoid all the gunnerish BS and that people are generally nice to each other and dont try to tear each other down, people do well by just putting in more effort

Thanks! Just trying to figure out the why essay including "how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future?"

Thanks! Just trying to figure out the why essay including "how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future?"

yeah that question was tough, i thought about that one for a few days

find something within the curriculum that speaks to you and that you believe will make you into the physician you want to be, it doesnt need to be something grand and ridiculous

honesty is more important than some crazy idea

Reactions: 1 users
Has anybody submitted already and not complete? It says my LORs are missing but I am complete at other schools.

Has anybody submitted already and not complete? It says my LORs are missing but I am complete at other schools.
Same. I believe some schools don't process them until after you submit the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)

They were having this same issue last year. I'm sure it will get resolved soon!

Received my secondary 6/29! Still working on it though... This is a very involved few questions...

Submitted my secondary on June 2nd.

Best of luck everybody!

Same issue here. Seems many schools have to process letters before they're complete? At least that's what others on here have said.

II! Completely July 3. Hoping this wasn't an error..

Anyone still have LoRs shown as not submitted even though AMCAS has them? Since IIs are going out already, I'm thinking of getting in contact with them to complete my app.

Update: I spoke with admissions and LoRs are downloaded from AMCAS in waves. We'll just have to wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
wasn't an error! Was just so surprised they had such a quick turnaround on my app.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone still has missing LORs? I submitted July 2nd and have been complete in AMCAS since early June...

Anyone still has missing LORs? I submitted July 2nd and have been complete in AMCAS since early June...
Yep. Like I said yesterday:
Anyone still have LoRs shown as not submitted even though AMCAS has them? Since IIs are going out already, I'm thinking of getting in contact with them to complete my app.

Update: I spoke with admissions and LoRs are downloaded from AMCAS in waves. We'll just have to wait.

wasn't an error! Was just so surprised they had such a quick turnaround on my app.

Congrats! Are you able to see the interview dates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to go out on a limb and say GUSOM has not extended interview invites to anyoen yet... it's markedly earlier than anyone has ever gotten an II. Ever. Unless maybe they're a legacy or some other sort of unusual circumstances. (Sorry, I'm really not trying to be rude, I'm just a bit skeptical o_O)

#PicsOrItDidntHappen?

Reactions: 2 users
From GU Med Admissions Twitter: "Does it look like your Letters of Recommendation are missing? Do not worry! The system takes a couple days to make them available to us. We're working hard to get them so that your applications will be completed."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say GUSOM has not extended interview invites to anyoen yet... it's markedly earlier than anyone has ever gotten an II. Ever. Unless maybe they're a legacy or some other sort of unusual circumstances. (Sorry, I'm really not trying to be rude, I'm just a bit skeptical o_O)

#PicsOrItDidntHappen?

Haha - up to you if you want to believe me or not. No special connections tho. Not really willing to sacrifice my anonymity just to prove you wrong. There are 7 dates available late August and one in early September right now.

Haha - up to you if you want to believe me or not. No special connections tho. Not really willing to sacrifice my anonymity just to prove you wrong. There are 7 dates available late August and one in early September right now.
You can put black boxes over identifying information, quite easily mind you :p I'm definitely not trying to make anyone uncomfortable or broadcast personal information, I'm just confused lol. I personally don't know what anyone has to gain by lying over SDN, and your LizzyM score is on the higher end, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If true, congrats to you, and good luck with your cycle :) maybe we'll see a few more II's shortly!

((It also could be because of the new changes in what the medical schools can see this year, so maybe Georgetown wants to stake a claim in applicants early))

Quote something from the interview email. I interviewed here last year and I still have the email.

Quote something from the interview email. I interviewed here last year and I still have the email.

You guys are eerily obsessive.

...This interview will provide you with an opportunity to clarify and elaborate on your accomplishments and objectives and to become acquainted with Washington, DC, our campus, and our community. The interview will also provide information to the Committee on Admissions, which it will use to...

You guys are eerily obsessive.

...This interview will provide you with an opportunity to clarify and elaborate on your accomplishments and objectives and to become acquainted with Washington, DC, our campus, and our community. The interview will also provide information to the Committee on Admissions, which it will use to...
For those wondering, it matches the email I got last year.

Can you really blame people for being "obsessive?" Your situation is out of the ordinary and you're posting from an account with few posts, so naturally this is going to bring about some skepticism. Also this application cycle is going to be different than anything in the past due to the new policy changes implemented this year. People just want some insight on the process and what to expect.

Reactions: 6 users
Lmao they could've changed the email. Why are y'all so bent up about the man (allegedly) getting an II?

Lmao they could've changed the email. Why are y'all so bent up about the man (allegedly) getting an II?
Because it is impossible to get II in early July before this cycle. With the new policy in place, we are just trying to figure out what to expect.

Because it is impossible to get II in early July before this cycle. With the new policy in place, we are just trying to figure out what to expect.
There could be a million reasons why he got an II so early. There's no way for us to know what's going on there.

Wait, what is the new policy everyone is referring to?? Also, congrats to OP on the II! Did anyone else get one?

Wait, what is the new policy everyone is referring to?? Also, congrats to OP on the II! Did anyone else get one?
Basically, AAMC will no longer issue the Multiple Acceptance Report or National Acceptance Report each spring... so schools that have accepted students will never know if those students are accepted elsewhere. They used the reports to plan how many acceptances they needed to offer and how deep their waitlist may go. So now people speculate that schools might take more ED applicants, or in this case, offer interview invites early. We have no way of truly knowing how medical schools will respond; it will likely be unique to each school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Secondary submitted! My first one!! My LOR's aren't received yet though which is nerve racking but it seems like we just have to wait...

Submitted first day and LOR's are still not received :thumbdown:

did anyone else pay their fee and then have their "Application Fee" portion of the application marked as incomplete?

Should I format my 1 page essay in size 20 Comic Sans?

Reactions: 13 users