2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Lucca

Lucca Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
    Staff Member Administrator Rocket Scientist Verified Expert 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Secondary:
    Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion)

Other Questions:
    1. The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

2. Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Georgetown University School of Medicine

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Lucca, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  2. SadAsian

Hey all. Excited to apply here, hoping to avoid the bloodbath visible on last year's forum :sorry:

Can any current students (hopefully some are on SDN) attest to what they love most about Georgetown as well as if they feel the school/student body emphasize student wellness? Thank you in advance :)

3. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

Anyone know if they have a hard subsection screen and what it is?

4. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    To any current/former students, would you call the atmosphere more competitive or collaborative?

6. DoctorDragon22

Medical Student
    I am a former Georgetown SMP and have some comments that might be helpful. Georgetown is a disorganized institution and they are in the middle of ushering in a new curriculum so this is going to cause issues further down the line. Also, the facilities are very run down and the library is very dreary. With this being said, the environment is very collaborative and the student body as a whole is very friendly. Also, the support of faculty and administrators is fantastic, which will help prep you for residency. Also, in terms of the area itself Georgetown is very preppy and is a place of large wealth. As someone, who came from a modest background, I felt like a fish out of water at times. However, DC itself has a ton of concert venues, bars/clubs as well as touristy stuff. Best of luck to everyone and feel free to DM me with questions.

7. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    I believe GW sends secondaries prior to recieving the primary. Anyone got the secondary yet? I haven't added this school yet as I am still waiting on MCAT score.

8. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

So after calling them a while ago and reading stuff on their site, they have a 125 subsection screen. If you're under that then you're considered non competitive

9. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    I have seen that but it is not a hard cutoff, just a recommendation imho.

10. wwjd777

Medical Student (Accepted)
    This is new to me. How do they know who is seriously considering them without a verified primary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. road-to-MD-123

@futuredoc0307
    i'm verified and have not received a secondary yet

12. wwjd777

Verified primaries would need to be transmitted to schools by AMCAS which happens tomorrow. So next week, people should start receiving secondaries. Good luck!

13. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

They said your app won’t be tossed out but your chances are lower unless you have some wow factor to your app

14. Mr. Peanutbutter

Mr. Peanutbutter SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Secondary Received!

15. Mr. Peanutbutter

Pre-Medical
    Secondary:
    Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion)

Other Questions:
    1. The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

2. Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

prairiemusic and wwjd777 like this.
  16. JugglesMed

Pre-Medical
    Secondary received

17. FroYoOreo

Pre-Medical
    You will also need a photo and a 1-page why essay.

18. FroYoOreo

Pre-Medical
    For the first question
    Is this essentially a diversity essay? Or more like a service-oriented essay?

19. buckoh24

Pre-Medical
    Diversity. They mention caring as the whole person to show that divers elements of a person are important to evaluating them as a whole.

20. FroYoOreo

Pre-Medical
    Got it! Good to know I don't have to write a new essay.

21. ChickRick16

+1!

22. wwjd777

Got my secondary too. Good luck!

23. buckoh24

Pre-Medical
    Now time to take the most *perfect* selfie of my life

24. Mr. Peanutbutter

Pre-Medical
    Oh, you know I did a full portrait mode photo series and even wore my girlfriend's glasses to look smarter

mountainmed likes this.
  25. buckoh24

Pre-Medical
    Considering I have a modeling background and a decent IG following, this may be the strongest part of my application :laugh::drowning:

this is_a foreground and Blanky like this.
  26. Hotsushiking

+1

27. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    so did amcas submit applications? also how OOS friendly is this school?

28. ayebaebae

ayebaebae Accepted! MD Class of 2023

Pre-Medical
    +1

29. SadAsian

Well it being a school located in DC.... is quite OOS friendly.... #MSAR

toedrag, Zathric, 71ubpmk and 4 others like this.
  30. JugglesMed

Pre-Medical
    Submitted!

SadAsian likes this.
  31. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    hahah yah didn't take a second to think of that

SadAsian likes this.
  32. frog301

Pre-Medical
    Wow this library (Dahlgren Memorial) does look very dreary from the outside :oops:

[​IMG]

CheeseIsLife likes this.
  33. Orangecat1234

Secondary!

- Question: I submitted my LORs through interfolio awhile ago and they are marked received on AMCAS primary and I have assigned letters to Georgetown in my school list. However, Georgetown says they do not have the LORs. Is this common?

34. JugglesMed

Pre-Medical
    Mine shows as not received either. I think they will manually enter them soon once they start reviewing apps.

35. Orangecat1234

Okay, good. Glad I’m not alone

norahjc96 likes this.
  36. norahjc96

Pre-Medical
    My LORs have been at AMCAS for 2 weeks and mine also says not received; I would concur with others that the school probably just needs to download them!

P.S. Good luck everyone :)

Orangecat1234 likes this.
  37. imdrbrightside

Seoncdary received!!

38. 4Cheese

Pre-Medical
    Got a secondary. Good luck everyone!

39. Dr.Lady123

Pre-Medical
    Secondary received! How long do people usually take to work on secondaries? A day? A week??

40. norahjc96

Pre-Medical
    I think it all depends on your situation/length of the secondary! I pre-wrote some of mine (Georgetown included mostly because of the bizarre 1 page on "why here?"), but I think overall this one took me two days, with some of my answers pulled from other pre-written stuff.

41. pharmdxmd

Pre-Medical
    Hi guys! Excited to have received the secondary yesterday. The last "Why Georgetown?" question says 1 page, PDF form. Does anyone know if they are specifically looking for just an plain essay, or are they open to something more creative and nontraditional, like for example, a chart? Thanks!

this is_a foreground likes this.
  42. Unlimited Apps

Unlimited Apps King of Appetizers

That would be an interesting secondary submission lol! But I guess it is probably better to be on the safe side unless you REALLY believe that a chart shows Why Georgetown more so than a typical 1 page essay.

On a side note, are people doing 1 page single spaced for this? I am thinking 1 page double spaced.

43. buckoh24

Pre-Medical
    I did 1.5 but then realized my font size is like....10. So just doing single spaced, 12 pt font, and telling them why I luv them with all my heart

Alex1234* likes this.
  44. this is_a foreground

Following!! Would love to see more input on this question as I'm also wondering whether "thinking outside the box" would help or hurt

45. imdrbrightside

I think I’m gonna go for single spaced or 1.5 spaced

46. buckoh24

Pre-Medical
    Reporting back. Selfie done. Have to get that HOLISTIC headshot

47. SadAsian

I feel like I've read somewhere that GUSOM doesn't really prioritize research so that shouldn't be something you add into your "Why Georgetown" essay (I've looked through too many SDN threads to really remember if this is true.....) Can anyone corroborate/refute this? Thank you in advance :)

48. dankestmemes

look at their website. research is a mandatory part of their curriculum.

buckoh24 and SadAsian like this.
  49. mattjup

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone, secondary received! For the "further information" question, do you think talking about gap year plans is a good idea?

SadAsian likes this.
  50. buckoh24

Pre-Medical
    If it isn't addressed in elsewhere then go for it! If you are just continuing stuff in your primary and thats reflected with projected hours, I dont think its really needed and may be seen as "fluff".

krazyape5 likes this.