2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary:
Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion)

Other Questions:
1. The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

2. Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Georgetown University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all. Excited to apply here, hoping to avoid the bloodbath visible on last year's forum :sorry:

Can any current students (hopefully some are on SDN) attest to what they love most about Georgetown as well as if they feel the school/student body emphasize student wellness? Thank you in advance :)

Anyone know if they have a hard subsection screen and what it is?

Members don't see this ad :)
To any current/former students, would you call the atmosphere more competitive or collaborative?

To any current/former students, would you call the atmosphere more competitive or collaborative?

I am a former Georgetown SMP and have some comments that might be helpful. Georgetown is a disorganized institution and they are in the middle of ushering in a new curriculum so this is going to cause issues further down the line. Also, the facilities are very run down and the library is very dreary. With this being said, the environment is very collaborative and the student body as a whole is very friendly. Also, the support of faculty and administrators is fantastic, which will help prep you for residency. Also, in terms of the area itself Georgetown is very preppy and is a place of large wealth. As someone, who came from a modest background, I felt like a fish out of water at times. However, DC itself has a ton of concert venues, bars/clubs as well as touristy stuff. Best of luck to everyone and feel free to DM me with questions.

Reactions: 6 users
I believe GW sends secondaries prior to recieving the primary. Anyone got the secondary yet? I haven't added this school yet as I am still waiting on MCAT score.

I believe GW sends secondaries prior to recieving the primary. Anyone got the secondary yet? I haven't added this school yet as I am still waiting on MCAT score.

This is new to me. How do they know who is seriously considering them without a verified primary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@futuredoc0307
i'm verified and have not received a secondary yet

Verified primaries would need to be transmitted to schools by AMCAS which happens tomorrow. So next week, people should start receiving secondaries. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary:
Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion)

Other Questions:
1. The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

2. Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary:

Other Questions:

You will also need a photo and a 1-page why essay.

For the first question
Is this essentially a diversity essay? Or more like a service-oriented essay?

For the first question
Is this essentially a diversity essay? Or more like a service-oriented essay?
Diversity. They mention caring as the whole person to show that divers elements of a person are important to evaluating them as a whole.

Diversity. They mention caring as the whole person to show that divers elements of a person are important to evaluating them as a whole.
Got it! Good to know I don't have to write a new essay.

Got my secondary too. Good luck!

Now time to take the most *perfect* selfie of my life

Reactions: 4 users
Oh, you know I did a full portrait mode photo series and even wore my girlfriend's glasses to look smarter
Considering I have a modeling background and a decent IG following, this may be the strongest part of my application :laugh::drowning:

so did amcas submit applications? also how OOS friendly is this school?

I am a former Georgetown SMP and have some comments that might be helpful. Georgetown is a disorganized institution and they are in the middle of ushering in a new curriculum so this is going to cause issues further down the line. Also, the facilities are very run down and the library is very dreary. With this being said, the environment is very collaborative and the student body as a whole is very friendly. Also, the support of faculty and administrators is fantastic, which will help prep you for residency. Also, in terms of the area itself Georgetown is very preppy and is a place of large wealth. As someone, who came from a modest background, I felt like a fish out of water at times. However, DC itself has a ton of concert venues, bars/clubs as well as touristy stuff. Best of luck to everyone and feel free to DM me with questions.

Wow this library (Dahlgren Memorial) does look very dreary from the outside :oops:

DML%20768.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary!

- Question: I submitted my LORs through interfolio awhile ago and they are marked received on AMCAS primary and I have assigned letters to Georgetown in my school list. However, Georgetown says they do not have the LORs. Is this common?

Secondary!

- Question: I submitted my LORs through interfolio awhile ago and they are marked received on AMCAS primary and I have assigned letters to Georgetown in my school list. However, Georgetown says they do not have the LORs. Is this common?
Mine shows as not received either. I think they will manually enter them soon once they start reviewing apps.

Reactions: 2 users
My LORs have been at AMCAS for 2 weeks and mine also says not received; I would concur with others that the school probably just needs to download them!

P.S. Good luck everyone :)

Got a secondary. Good luck everyone!

Secondary received! How long do people usually take to work on secondaries? A day? A week??

Secondary received! How long do people usually take to work on secondaries? A day? A week??

I think it all depends on your situation/length of the secondary! I pre-wrote some of mine (Georgetown included mostly because of the bizarre 1 page on "why here?"), but I think overall this one took me two days, with some of my answers pulled from other pre-written stuff.

Hi guys! Excited to have received the secondary yesterday. The last "Why Georgetown?" question says 1 page, PDF form. Does anyone know if they are specifically looking for just an plain essay, or are they open to something more creative and nontraditional, like for example, a chart? Thanks!

Hi guys! Excited to have received the secondary yesterday. The last "Why Georgetown?" question says 1 page, PDF form. Does anyone know if they are specifically looking for just an plain essay, or are they open to something more creative and nontraditional, like for example, a chart? Thanks!

That would be an interesting secondary submission lol! But I guess it is probably better to be on the safe side unless you REALLY believe that a chart shows Why Georgetown more so than a typical 1 page essay.

On a side note, are people doing 1 page single spaced for this? I am thinking 1 page double spaced.

That would be an interesting secondary submission lol! But I guess it is probably better to be on the safe side unless you REALLY believe that a chart shows Why Georgetown more so than a typical 1 page essay.

On a side note, are people doing 1 page single spaced for this? I am thinking 1 page double spaced.
I did 1.5 but then realized my font size is like....10. So just doing single spaced, 12 pt font, and telling them why I luv them with all my heart

Following!! Would love to see more input on this question as I'm also wondering whether "thinking outside the box" would help or hurt

I think I’m gonna go for single spaced or 1.5 spaced

I feel like I've read somewhere that GUSOM doesn't really prioritize research so that shouldn't be something you add into your "Why Georgetown" essay (I've looked through too many SDN threads to really remember if this is true.....) Can anyone corroborate/refute this? Thank you in advance :)

I feel like I've read somewhere that GUSOM doesn't really prioritize research so that shouldn't be something you add into your "Why Georgetown" essay (I've looked through too many SDN threads to really remember if this is true.....) Can anyone corroborate/refute this? Thank you in advance :)
look at their website. research is a mandatory part of their curriculum.

Hey everyone, secondary received! For the "further information" question, do you think talking about gap year plans is a good idea?

Hey everyone, secondary received! For the "further information" question, do you think talking about gap year plans is a good idea?
If it isn't addressed in elsewhere then go for it! If you are just continuing stuff in your primary and thats reflected with projected hours, I dont think its really needed and may be seen as "fluff".