-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 Harvard Medical School
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Not all in my opinion. Did some research last night between here and admissions and found that interview invites do extend out into January.Is it basically all silent R's at this point? Will an update help our file get looked at? Is there anything on the portal where it says "under review?"
Not all in my opinion. Did some research last night between here and admissions and found that interview invites do extend out into January.
That's great! Could you share your source?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's great! Could you share your source?
I recall emailing them once and they said that we will be reviewing application until the end of January. If you don’t here back by then, then you will receive a update in March I believe
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That's great! Could you share your source?
That post was very helpful, but it is measuring density of IIs, which I’m guessing is invitations per day. Multiplied by the total number of invitations, there are maybe a handful left. I always feel like the guy in Dumb and Dumber when the girl says “maybe if you were the last man on Earth” and he says “so you’re saying there’s a chance.”
Hello, quick question for everyone. I scrolled through this thread and got a mixed consensus on the topic so I wanted to ask again since we're later into the cycle. I interviewed here towards the very beginning of the cycle. Since then I've interviewed at more places and I feel that I felt more comfortable and happy during my interview day here at HMS. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to Letters of Intent. I feel that if I was accepted here I would definitely attend. Do LOIs hold any weight for a school like HMS? Also, should a LOI only follow a waitlist or can I send a LOI before decisions have gone out? Thanks everyone!
well its not going to hurt youHello, quick question for everyone. I scrolled through this thread and got a mixed consensus on the topic so I wanted to ask again since we're later into the cycle. I interviewed here towards the very beginning of the cycle. Since then I've interviewed at more places and I feel that I felt more comfortable and happy during my interview day here at HMS. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to Letters of Intent. I feel that if I was accepted here I would definitely attend. Do LOIs hold any weight for a school like HMS? Also, should a LOI only follow a waitlist or can I send a LOI before decisions have gone out? Thanks everyone!
Hello, quick question for everyone. I scrolled through this thread and got a mixed consensus on the topic so I wanted to ask again since we're later into the cycle. I interviewed here towards the very beginning of the cycle. Since then I've interviewed at more places and I feel that I felt more comfortable and happy during my interview day here at HMS. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to Letters of Intent. I feel that if I was accepted here I would definitely attend. Do LOIs hold any weight for a school like HMS? Also, should a LOI only follow a waitlist or can I send a LOI before decisions have gone out? Thanks everyone!
From what I've seen a letter of intent means nothing here. The fact that theyre harvard is enough for them to ensure yield. Your best bet is to just send a meaningful update once you have one (in my opinion).
During the financial aid presentation they said LOIs really only matter if you’re on the waitlist.Hello, quick question for everyone. I scrolled through this thread and got a mixed consensus on the topic so I wanted to ask again since we're later into the cycle. I interviewed here towards the very beginning of the cycle. Since then I've interviewed at more places and I feel that I felt more comfortable and happy during my interview day here at HMS. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to Letters of Intent. I feel that if I was accepted here I would definitely attend. Do LOIs hold any weight for a school like HMS? Also, should a LOI only follow a waitlist or can I send a LOI before decisions have gone out? Thanks everyone!
Pardon the dumb question but we just turn in Fall transcripts to Amcas or Harvard Post interview?
I called admissions and they stated that they "dont anticipate any more interview invites being extended." 🙁 This might be the end, guys.Not all in my opinion. Did some research last night between here and admissions and found that interview invites do extend out into January.
II yesterday! Was complete mid July and only had one date available in January
Dang was yesterday the last? Congrats dude!II yesterday! Was complete mid July and only had one date available in January
I called admissions and they stated that they "dont anticipate any more interview invites being extended." 🙁 This might be the end, guys.
Where did you find the admissions office phone number? I have been trying to get ahold of them via email with no luck, and I could not find a contact number for the admissions office online.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Phone: 617-432-1550Where did you find the admissions office phone number? I have been trying to get ahold of them via email with no luck, and I could not find a contact number for the admissions office online.
Thank you!!Phone: 617-432-1550
Pardon the dumb question but we just turn in Fall transcripts to Amcas or Harvard Post interview?
Directly to Harvard (or whatever school) post ACCEPTANCE. If you are trying to provide an update for grades, you can simply upload a short update letter to your Harvard secondary portal
mysonadoctor
Full Member
I have interview coming up, what do I wear for the Meet and Greet?
I have interview coming up, what do I wear for the Meet and Greet?
It was really casual. Nothing serious. Some people wore business casual but jeans and a t-shirt are fine.
For people who interviewed already, how much free time is there during the day? It seems like in previous years there was a large amount of free time where people could kind of do whatever?
I just found out that my best friend from childhood (who moved to China like 10 years ago and I haven’t seen since!) is randomly going to be in Boston for two days (overlapping with my interview) as kind of a long layover on her way to Canada, and I’m dying to see her but I already booked my flights and will be leaving Boston right after the interview day (and can’t afford to change/cancel the flight) :/
Would it be feasible meet up with her during the day at all?
And follow up q: has anyone attempted coordinating with admissions to specifically schedule morning interviews? Or is there no way to try and arrange morning vs afternoon interviews in advance?
I just found out that my best friend from childhood (who moved to China like 10 years ago and I haven’t seen since!) is randomly going to be in Boston for two days (overlapping with my interview) as kind of a long layover on her way to Canada, and I’m dying to see her but I already booked my flights and will be leaving Boston right after the interview day (and can’t afford to change/cancel the flight) :/
Would it be feasible meet up with her during the day at all?
And follow up q: has anyone attempted coordinating with admissions to specifically schedule morning interviews? Or is there no way to try and arrange morning vs afternoon interviews in advance?
For people who interviewed already, how much free time is there during the day? It seems like in previous years there was a large amount of free time where people could kind of do whatever?
I just found out that my best friend from childhood (who moved to China like 10 years ago and I haven’t seen since!) is randomly going to be in Boston for two days (overlapping with my interview) as kind of a long layover on her way to Canada, and I’m dying to see her but I already booked my flights and will be leaving Boston right after the interview day (and can’t afford to change/cancel the flight) :/
Would it be feasible meet up with her during the day at all?
And follow up q: has anyone attempted coordinating with admissions to specifically schedule morning interviews? Or is there no way to try and arrange morning vs afternoon interviews in advance?
You definitely cannot coordinate your own interviews. They will be assigned to you on interview day. Apart from an intro session at 8am and your two interviews, the rest of the day is free and filled with optional activities. So you could coordinate with your friend around the interviews your assigned and the activities you may or may not want to attend.
Awesome, so it seems like I'll at least be able to have time to grab a quick meal with her or something. thanks!You definitely cannot coordinate your own interviews. They will be assigned to you on interview day. Apart from an intro session at 8am and your two interviews, the rest of the day is free and filled with optional activities. So you could coordinate with your friend around the interviews your assigned and the activities you may or may not want to attend.
Who did people address update letters to?
I assume either Dr. Robert Mayer, Faculty Associate Dean of Admissions, or Ms. Melissa Friedman, Director of Admissions?
Admissions
Edit: Spelling
I assume either Dr. Robert Mayer, Faculty Associate Dean of Admissions, or Ms. Melissa Friedman, Director of Admissions?
Admissions
Edit: Spelling
Last edited:
Who did people address update letters to?
I assume either Dr. Robert Mayer, Faculty Associate Dean of Admissions, or Ms. Melissa Friedman, Director of Admissions?
Admissions
Edit: Spelling
Either is fine. Most people address to the Dean of Admissions + Committee on Admissions, or just the Committee.
So I occasionally see here and on Reddit comments about how HMS students are unhappy and anti-social. I'm not sure if it's a meme, but that was not my experience when I interviewed here. The students seemed really happy around each other and talked a lot about social events, particularity in MS1. Can any other interviewees or current students chime in on the general happiness of the students?
So I occasionally see here and on Reddit comments about how HMS students are unhappy and anti-social. I'm not sure if it's a meme, but that was not my experience when I interviewed here. The students seemed really happy around each other and talked a lot about social events, particularity in MS1. Can any other interviewees or current students chime in on the general happiness of the students?
I had a mixed feeling. My M1 tour guide seemed happy but my M4 interviewer seemed like he hated it lol. Left me pretty conflicted even though because i loved my interview i had with an HMS physician.
Can any other interviewees or current students chime in on the general happiness of the students?
Very happy, down to earth and collaborative.
@freedoctor17 M4s anywhere tend to be a little jadded by the system, but I think most would agree that they love the opportunities they have been given, and the exposure we've gotten here.
I had a mixed feeling. My M1 tour guide seemed happy but my M4 interviewer seemed like he hated it lol. Left me pretty conflicted even though because i loved my interview i had with an HMS physician.
I didn’t have a student interviewer so I didn’t really get a chance to talk to M3s or M4s. But I really enjoyed my faculty interviews as well - they seemed really interested in me and my application.
Very happy, down to earth and collaborative.
@freedoctor17 M4s anywhere tend to be a little jadded by the system, but I think most would agree that they love the opportunities they have been given, and the exposure we've gotten here.
That’s really good to here - thank you for your response! How do you all feel about the madatory attendance?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That’s really good to here - thank you for your response! How do you all feel about the madatory attendance?
I personally love the CBL - can't imagine sitting in lectures everyday anymore, and you become very close with your classmates and faculty. I think some people don't like showing up at 8am every day, but we all knew what we were in for.
So I occasionally see here and on Reddit comments about how HMS students are unhappy and anti-social. I'm not sure if it's a meme, but that was not my experience when I interviewed here. The students seemed really happy around each other and talked a lot about social events, particularity in MS1. Can any other interviewees or current students chime in on the general happiness of the students?
That’s really good to here - thank you for your response! How do you all feel about the madatory attendance?
I'd say that based on comparisons to students I know at other schools or the general consensus on reddit, my classmates seem much happier and less stressed. There is a strong social component for many compared to other schools, which makes sense given the fact our CBCL sessions are mandatory and the majority of the class lives in vandy. You'll find people who are unhappy anywhere. You'll find M4's that are burned out, even at the happiest schools. Our M4's have had a much different experience than the rest of us since they were the first class to go through the Pathways curriculum. Focus more on how you think the lifestyle at a school will fit with your goals.
To your second question, I actually really enjoy the CBCL sessions. I think that is pretty unanimous across the student body. Personally, I think I just learn better in that sort of environment than I do from a lecture. So even if they were optional, I would still go to every one.
freelancePsychic
Full Member
So I occasionally see here and on Reddit comments about how HMS students are unhappy and anti-social. I'm not sure if it's a meme, but that was not my experience when I interviewed here. The students seemed really happy around each other and talked a lot about social events, particularity in MS1. Can any other interviewees or current students chime in on the general happiness of the students?
Everyone there seemed cool to me! When I was waiting for a taxi to get to my next interview multiple students stopped to see if I needed directions and stayed to chat. I don’t get why people think HMS students are antisocial but I’m perfectly happy to take their spots should I get waitlisted.
I don’t get why people think HMS students are antisocial
It’s a conspiracy started by people on the waitlist
So I occasionally see here and on Reddit comments about how HMS students are unhappy and anti-social. I'm not sure if it's a meme, but that was not my experience when I interviewed here. The students seemed really happy around each other and talked a lot about social events, particularity in MS1. Can any other interviewees or current students chime in on the general happiness of the students?
People love to hate on HMS, but overall the students I met there and have met from there have all been perfectly normal people with outstanding accomplishments.
On the research side, HMS/Harvard have a reputation for not being the most collaborative places to work, being highly political, and places where massive empires loom over junior faculty who struggle to compete but came there because they believed it would (and it likely will) make their career. Is that true? It probably depends a lot on the specific department but everyone in science has their pet "Jerk from Very Prestigious Place" story which reinforces these kinds of stereotypes and there are undoubtedly a handful of famously very problematic faculty at Harvard who might be tarnishing the reputation of their perfectly collaborative, collegial peers with their outsized reputations.
This worries me a little. If I'm fortunate enough to gain an acceptance into the MD/PHD program, I want a collaborative environment. I'm interested in many disciplines. Harvard obviously has the resources, but if there is little collaboration, I'm not sure if I will get the breadth of training that I desire.People love to hate on HMS, but overall the students I met there and have met from there have all been perfectly normal people with outstanding accomplishments.
On the research side, HMS/Harvard have a reputation for not being the most collaborative places to work, being highly political, and places where massive empires loom over junior faculty who struggle to compete but came there because they believed it would (and it likely will) make their career. Is that true? It probably depends a lot on the specific department but everyone in science has their pet "Jerk from Very Prestigious Place" story which reinforces these kinds of stereotypes and there are undoubtedly a handful of famously very problematic faculty at Harvard who might be tarnishing the reputation of their perfectly collaborative, collegial peers with their outsized reputations.
Agree on the student part. Two of my friends attend and I know for a fact they are down to earth people. But that's just n=2 lol.
DoctorYoda
Full Member
Do they do silent Rs here? Or is it a good thing if I still haven't heard back yet?
Do they do silent Rs here? Or is it a good thing if I still haven't heard back yet?
Interview season is over. If you have not received an interview invite yet, you will be rejected when decisions are released.
If you did interview, all decisions are released on the same day in March.
DoctorYoda
Full Member
OMG when did interview season end?! :0Interview season is over. If you have not received an interview invite yet, you will be rejected when decisions are released.
If you did interview, all decisions are released on the same day in March.
OMG when did interview season end?! :0
This past week
Jan 18th was the last interview date. Decisions first week of March. I’m assuming they send pre-II rejections then tooOMG when did interview season end?! :0
Every student I met seemed down to earth and pretty chill, but the admissions faculty was cold and barely acknowledged our group on my interview day. I understand they want us to roam and do our own thing during the interview day to “feel what life would be like as an HMS student” but the little contact we had wasn’t encouraging. Do you know if faculty is supportive to actual students?People love to hate on HMS, but overall the students I met there and have met from there have all been perfectly normal people with outstanding accomplishments.
On the research side, HMS/Harvard have a reputation for not being the most collaborative places to work, being highly political, and places where massive empires loom over junior faculty who struggle to compete but came there because they believed it would (and it likely will) make their career. Is that true? It probably depends a lot on the specific department but everyone in science has their pet "Jerk from Very Prestigious Place" story which reinforces these kinds of stereotypes and there are undoubtedly a handful of famously very problematic faculty at Harvard who might be tarnishing the reputation of their perfectly collaborative, collegial peers with their outsized reputations.
Every student I met seemed down to earth and pretty chill, but the admissions faculty was cold and barely acknowledged our group on my interview day. I understand they want us to roam and do our own thing during the interview day to “feel what life would be like as an HMS student” but the little contact we had wasn’t encouraging. Do you know if faculty is supportive to actual students?
Well I don’t personally know. I have one good friend IRL at HMS and they love it there and are very active. But that’s all I know, I’m sure current students would be more helpful. I experienced a similar thing as you, I told my friend and they said that the interview day at HMS is very impersonal but once you’re admitted everyone is very welcoming and helpful
Second look will probably be a much better time to gauge the feel than interview day was.
Second look will probably be a much better time to gauge the feel than interview day was.
True, but I’m half way across the world and wouldn’t be able to make it [emoji25]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
True, but I’m half way across the world and wouldn’t be able to make it [emoji25]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh man in that case that is tough. If you get accepted it might be worthwhile making the trip? I feel like it would be hard to say no to Harvard without giving it a second chance haha.
Oh man in that case that is tough. If you get accepted it might be worthwhile making the trip? I feel like it would be hard to say no to Harvard without giving it a second chance haha.
Haha yes, saying no to harvard would be hard to do. I’ll just worry about second look if and when I get accepted haha
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Every student I met seemed down to earth and pretty chill, but the admissions faculty was cold and barely acknowledged our group on my interview day. I understand they want us to roam and do our own thing during the interview day to “feel what life would be like as an HMS student” but the little contact we had wasn’t encouraging. Do you know if faculty is supportive to actual students?
FWIW, I had the same impression back when I interviewed. In reality, the facult is beyond supportive. So many of them have gone above and beyond to help me in many ways. I have nothing but great experiences with everyone I’ve met. I wouldn’t base your decision on admissions staff. We never see them again after the interview day, so it’s a non-issue.
That's really good to know, thanks for your input!!FWIW, I had the same impression back when I interviewed. In reality, the facult is beyond supportive. So many of them have gone above and beyond to help me in many ways. I have nothing but great experiences with everyone I’ve met. I wouldn’t base your decision on admissions staff. We never see them again after the interview day, so it’s a non-issue.
The same goes for HST and MD-PhD faculty: not the warmest interview experience, but absolutely wonderful and dedicated faculty once you’re “in the door.” I can totally understand the relative coldness during the application process turning people off, though.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K