2018-2019 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At this point in HMS' cycle you should send (meaningful) updates ASAP

I would send that update ASAP. Congratulations!

Question for any current students or applicants who heard anything!

I've been waiting to send in an update (post interview) for a paper that was just accepted but not in print yet (so you can't google it or PubMed it). Is it worth waiting another few weeks until it's in print?

I just don't want to submit it when it's too late lol. I heard they re-assess applicants in December!

Where did everyone hear that they reassess applicants in December? I interviewed in early October- should I be sending an update now? I don’t have any MAJOR updates (aka accepted publications), but I do have some updates that I was gonna inform them about eventually. I was planning to wait till I hear back about a paper submission in late Jan/early feb and do it all at once, but should I send one now and another later?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Where did everyone hear that they reassess applicants in December? I interviewed in early October- should I be sending an update now? I don’t have any MAJOR updates (aka accepted publications), but I do have some updates that I was gonna inform them about eventually. I was planning to wait till I hear back about a paper submission in late Jan/early feb and do it all at once, but should I send one now and another later?
Also curious... when is the best time to send a post-interview update?

Has anyone had success with trying to email them for different (later) dates? I am going to be drowning in Sept/Oct trying to balance interviews with work and would like to try to ask for a late Oct/early Nov date but don't want to come across as uninterested...
Yes!! They were super accommodating.

Members don't see this ad :)

Also curious... when is the best time to send a post-interview update?

I don't think anyone on this forum can really comment on whether or not you should send one now and one later or just one later; we simply don't know for a fact what goes on behind the closed doors of the AdCom. As they say, "it's the blind leading the blind."

That being said, I think the best time to send updates is as soon as you, yourself, deem it as meaningful and significant to your application, bearing in mind that you can only send two updates to Harvard (per cycle). If you have a meaningful update, send it ASAP.

How much “down time” is there during a weekday interview day? Should I take stuff to work on or no?

How much “down time” is there during a weekday interview day? Should I take stuff to work on or no?
I had ~3 hours of unscheduled time that I spent walking around campus, talking to fellow applicants, and hanging out in the lounge. Some applicants did do work on their laptops in the lounge too

I received an II yesterday, and I scheduled the interview for mid December on the portal. I apologize if this sounds very neurotic, but I did not receive an email confirmation like I did with other schools (but the portal has the scheduled date). Would you all recommend that I email the admissions committee just in case? Thank you!

I received an II yesterday, and I scheduled the interview for mid December on the portal. I apologize if this sounds very neurotic, but I did not receive an email confirmation like I did with other schools (but the portal has the scheduled date). Would you all recommend that I email the admissions committee just in case? Thank you!
Nah, I didn't get one when I scheduled it either

congrats!! When were you complete?

Lol just got a phone call from my mom that I got a letter from Harvard... they sent me a letter saying they retrieved my information from AAMC and are encouraging me to apply... in 2019... DUDES I ALREADY APPLIED WHY DON'T YOU INVITE ME... sigh

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A few late December and mid jan dates available for interviews as of now

Reactions: 1 users
II today! Complete mid August. In total shock :)

Reactions: 10 users
has anyone who applied later in the cycle (around early october - don't judge me lol) heard back yet?

has anyone who applied later in the cycle (around early october - don't judge me lol) heard back yet?
No but I can't say I expect to hear anything either. If you look above, someone who was complete on 9/30 did get an invitation.

No but I can't say I expect to hear anything either. If you look above, someone who was complete on 9/30 did get an invitation.

ah ok well i'm crossing my fingers for the both of us! (i too don't expect to get any good news from them but applied on a whim bc i heard harvard takes a chance with people every now and then. who knows - it could be us!)

I wasn’t complete until October last year. I ended up getting my II this week last year. N=1, but I got in

Edit: apparently SDN isn’t emoji-friendly

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone done the interview on Saturday here? What is the schedule/day like? It seems like the day is shorter, and I am just wondering if you miss out on any info sessions etc because it's on a weekend.

Has anyone done the interview on Saturday here? What is the schedule/day like? It seems like the day is shorter, and I am just wondering if you miss out on any info sessions etc because it's on a weekend.

You probably won't get the chance to sit in on a class because of it unless you arrive on friday morning and sit in on one then.

You probably won't get the chance to sit in on a class because of it unless you arrive on friday morning and sit in on one then.

But also I had my interview on a week day but wasn't able to sit in on a class either because my interviews were scheduled off campus during class time. Don't think you'd be missing much by interviewing on a weekend, especially since most of the day is just unstructured exploring anyways.

II to Pathways this morning and am very surprised! Complete late July. I also applied to HST, but I got that rejection at the same time as the invite from Pathways (also surprised because I'm an engineering student with a heavy STEM background, but oh well, can't complain!).

Their calendar showed me 3 available dates in mid-January.

II to Pathways this morning and am very surprised! Complete late July. I also applied to HST, but I got that rejection at the same time as the invite from Pathways (also surprised because I'm an engineering student with a heavy STEM background, but oh well, can't complain!).

Their calendar showed me 3 available dates in mid-January.
Can I ask what your LM score was?

Wednesdays aren’t too bad... II to Pathways today. LM 71, heavy community service & research

Reactions: 7 users
Can I ask what your LM score was?
75, biomedical engineering major.

I actually got two other rejections this morning, so it just goes to show you that you never know what medical schools are looking for. Wishing everyone luck! :)

Last edited:
Does Harvard require a black suit for the interview? I have done my others without, but I can't shake the impression HMS would be a bit more stringent.

Does Harvard require a black suit for the interview? I have done my others without, but I can't shake the impression HMS would be a bit more stringent.

LOL bruh...treat it as any other interview. Blue/gray suit is fine.

Reactions: 12 users
So... I got a letter from Harvard telling me to apply next year but I applied this year, should I email the admissions?

Reactions: 3 users
So... I got a letter from Harvard telling me to apply next year but I applied this year, should I email the admissions?

If it’s the same letter that has made the rounds already, it is from ORMA, which is not associated with the Office of Admissions.

Any clue if there is still a chance of getting an II? I was complete sometime in August, LM ~75. I still haven't heard back from roughly half the schools I applied to and I'm starting to wonder if the silence is good or bad.

Any clue if there is still a chance of getting an II? I was complete sometime in August, LM ~75. I still haven't heard back from roughly half the schools I applied to and I'm starting to wonder if the silence is good or bad.
Still a chance, but we’re almost to the ending. According to their site, interviews conclude in January.

Last year, the last time someone mentioned getting an II was 12/14. The II dates could slide back a bit this year but probably not a lot.

Is it worth updating with a new letter from a job i now have significant hours at? It would be one of my stronger/est letters in a clinical position.