Wahkoon

MD 2023
Gold Donor
Mar 6, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Financial aid package? i thought those would go out later?
I’m assuming she means the acceptance package they mailed out this week. I’m on the other side of the country, so I’m expecting it to take a bit

Jul 12, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m assuming she means the acceptance package they mailed out this week. I’m on the other side of the country, so I’m expecting it to take a bit
yep the acceptance package! i'm also across the country so assuming it will take a little longer

Jan 1, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Do any current students remember what the third day of HMS revisit weekend looks like? I may have to leave early and would like to know what I'd be missing out on
Adding on to this, wondering if anyone can just add on to this about what revisit is like, what types of events are planned, how much of the day is scheduled, etc.

Reactions: A2jordan
Mar 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't we just have to fill out the application that is under the "Applications" tab and then send documents through the Secure Server?
Yeah I think so, but on the online fin aid portal it says there should be a documents section where the returns and FAFSA/CSS show up if they are received

Jul 12, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone know if we can scan and email our Response to Acceptance letter that came in the mail instead of mailing it? I just got it and I'm terrified it'll get there past the deadline...

Mar 12, 2019
Does anyone know how we're supposed to turn in our financial documents, such as our parent's 2017 tax returns? The deadline of March 18th is coming up but there is no option to upload it on the financial portal.

Also, I thought there was supposed to be a status checker on the financial portal for checking whether your CSS profile and FAFSA was received. Does anyone see that?

Wahkoon

MD 2023
Gold Donor
Mar 6, 2018
Status
Does anyone know how we're supposed to turn in our financial documents, such as our parent's 2017 tax returns? The deadline of March 18th is coming up but there is no option to upload it on the financial portal.

Also, I thought there was supposed to be a status checker on the financial portal for checking whether your CSS profile and FAFSA was received. Does anyone see that?
There is currently no status tracker. Tax returns can be sent via HMS Secure File Transfer, check all required documents here under Additional Required Documents.

Jan 1, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone gotten confirmation that the financial aid office received the docs they sent via secure file transfer?

chaim123

MD Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Anyone know if Harvard will match financial aid packages?
You can definitely ask, and they have people free to discuss at revisit. However, all HMS aid is need based - so they won't be matching any merit aid.

Jul 18, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Anyone know if Harvard will match financial aid packages?
I'd wait until you get a financial aid offer from them. With the changes to the scholarships, I imagine offers are going to be rather generous as long as your EFC is not really high. Like someone else said, they don't offer merit aid so it is unlikely that they will give you anything other than what you were already going to get based on financial need. This is why they end up losing students to places like Penn, NYU, and WashU each year.

Nov 28, 2018
I'd wait until you get a financial aid offer from them. With the changes to the scholarships, I imagine offers are going to be rather generous as long as your EFC is not really high. Like someone else said, they don't offer merit aid so it is unlikely that they will give you anything other than what you were already going to get based on financial need. This is why they end up losing students to places like Penn, NYU, and WashU each year.
That's why I'm curious about how or if they would match need-based aid from schools like Columbia. For those who demonstrate need I am sure that Columbia's need-based aid would be more generous than that of Harvard.

Reactions: medschoolmaybe23
Jul 18, 2018
Status
Medical Student
That's why I'm curious about how or if they would match need-based aid from schools like Columbia. For those who demonstrate need I am sure that Columbia's need-based aid would be more generous than that of Harvard.
In my experience, it wasn’t. Especially with HMS’ new financial aid policy where your tuition and fees are covered via scholarships less your EFC.

Nov 2, 2018
Anyone here receive a financial aid package yet? I hear they’re supposed to come out on a rolling basis and that they were trying to get them out before Revisit

Reactions: redeye2019
Mar 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone here receive a financial aid package yet? I hear they’re supposed to come out on a rolling basis and that they were trying to get them out before Revisit
I am still waiting on that and hoping they’ve received all my documentation. Has anyone emailed the fin aid office?

Jan 1, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I am still waiting on that and hoping they’ve received all my documentation. Has anyone emailed the fin aid office?
In the interview day materials I saw that fin aid starts rolling out April 1st and received by revisit, so I'd wait until next week to worry.

May 17, 2018
Has anyone received word about student hosting for the visiting days in April? I requested to stay with a student if possible and am not sure when to start looking for backup options

Mar 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
If you're worried about whether or not all of your documentation was received you can call the financial aid office and ask them. I called them earlier asking about whether I would receive my package before second look, and they confirmed that if they have received all of your documents, then you will receive your package before second look. They then proceeded to look up my name, and told me that I was all set to go since they had received all of my documentation. Cheers!

Mar 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone! I'm currently preparing to apply for the next upcoming application cycle, and have a concern in terms of letters of recommendation that is probably unique to Harvard Medical School (MD-only) since they 'strongly recommend' letters from all of your advisors. I have one advisor for a project I carried out previously who I think would be able to write me a solid, but not an absolutely amazing letter of recommendation based on my work with him. I was wondering, based on your impressions from this cycle, if you would suggest sending this letter in to follow the 'recommended' rule they have regarding letters (at the risk of diluting stronger letters), or to not send the letter in and have the overall average quality of my letters be higher, despite omitting one research letter?

Jul 30, 2018
I
Hi everyone! I'm currently preparing to apply for the next upcoming application cycle, and have a concern in terms of letters of recommendation that is probably unique to Harvard Medical School (MD-only) since they 'strongly recommend' letters from all of your advisors. I have one advisor for a project I carried out previously who I think would be able to write me a solid, but not an absolutely amazing letter of recommendation based on my work with him. I was wondering, based on your impressions from this cycle, if you would suggest sending this letter in to follow the 'recommended' rule they have regarding letters (at the risk of diluting stronger letters), or to not send the letter in and have the overall average quality of my letters be higher, despite omitting one research letter?
Didn't get a letter from one of my past PIs since she was on mat leave and I didn't want to bother her... No problems for me (literally no one asked or mentioned it) and I was fortunate to get an acceptance. Try to get at least one from a different sustained project though!

chaim123

MD Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student
That might be new. When I applied this only held for MD/PhD students, but I see here they want it for MD students now as well. If the experience is listed on your application, then by this policy they'd want a letter for it.

Letters of Evaluation

Mar 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
That might be new. When I applied this only held for MD/PhD students, but I see here they want it for MD students now as well. If the experience is listed on your application, then by this policy they'd want a letter for it.

Letters of Evaluation
@chaim123 : Thanks! When you applied, did you feel that all of your letters were of the absolute highest caliber (on the level of 'this student is the best I've ever worked with' etc.) or did you have a letter / letters which you felt were solid but not of the absolute highest praise?

Mar 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I

Didn't get a letter from one of my past PIs since she was on mat leave and I didn't want to bother her... No problems for me (literally no one asked or mentioned it) and I was fortunate to get an acceptance. Try to get at least one from a different sustained project though!
@desert_tortoise : Thank you for letting me know! When you wrote your AMCAS, did you end up listing that experience as a research experience anyways, without the letter? Also, if I may ask, did you apply to Pathways, HST, or both?

Mar 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
As another question, would a research advisor, whom you've taken an independent study with, count as a 'Science Professor Letter'?

Wahkoon

MD 2023
Gold Donor
Mar 6, 2018
Status
As another question, would a research advisor, whom you've taken an independent study with, count as a 'Science Professor Letter'?
That would be a question for the office of admissions. I would say no, since science LOR are typically from professors of science courses for which you received a letter grade.

Reactions: footballman

chaim123

MD Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student
@chaim123 : Thanks! When you applied, did you feel that all of your letters were of the absolute highest caliber (on the level of 'this student is the best I've ever worked with' etc.) or did you have a letter / letters which you felt were solid but not of the absolute highest praise?
All my letters were of the highest caliber. People who had seen me inside and outside of the classroom and could say with confidence that I was one of the best students they've encountered in their career. That being said, if you have enough high caliber letters, you can include a meh letter due to a requirement. It's not going to hurt you in any way.

DollyB

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Jul 28, 2018
Status
just n=1 here but bcuz I did a career-change post-bac, my 2 required science professor recs were likely "just fine"/in the same boat as your situation (I obviously didn't read them but there were 600 ppl in the class and took those classes for 1 year soooo guessing all they said was what grade I got). was worried about those required letters too because thought it would overall dilute the quality of my recs but apparently it was fine!

that being said, knowing about those two made me careful to pick the remainder of my recs veryyyy deliberately-with colleagues/professors/mentors that I had a longstanding professional relationship with. was complimented on those at several interviews, so if you pick them right, having one mediocre one in the bunch shouldn't be a problem :)

Jul 30, 2018
@desert_tortoise : Thank you for letting me know! When you wrote your AMCAS, did you end up listing that experience as a research experience anyways, without the letter? Also, if I may ask, did you apply to Pathways, HST, or both?
Good questions! I did list it as as research experience but did not make it one of my "Most Significant." I only applied Pathways, so it's good to note that my advice might not be fitting for HST since I am unfamiliar with that process

Jul 30, 2018
One of my science letters from a PI who supervised me for an Independent Research Project which I did for credit and there was a graded component. I did have another from a more "traditional" science teacher in a classroom setting. Those were the only 2 science letters I had and I had no problems!

May 24, 2018
Did anyone else on the Wait list read this typo in the FAQ:

6. If I am offered a position, can I defer my admission?
Unfortunately, we are not able to entertain requests for deferral from candidates accepted from our waitlist. If you are certain you will not be able to start medical school in 2018, you should withdraw from our waitlist.

Welp. Guess all those of us on the WL need to withdraw since it would literally be impossible for us to matriculate last year!!!
I suppose this is why you can't always follow the directions in life :laugh: