2018-2019 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how we're supposed to turn in our financial documents, such as our parent's 2017 tax returns? The deadline of March 18th is coming up but there is no option to upload it on the financial portal.

Also, I thought there was supposed to be a status checker on the financial portal for checking whether your CSS profile and FAFSA was received. Does anyone see that?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how we're supposed to turn in our financial documents, such as our parent's 2017 tax returns? The deadline of March 18th is coming up but there is no option to upload it on the financial portal.

Also, I thought there was supposed to be a status checker on the financial portal for checking whether your CSS profile and FAFSA was received. Does anyone see that?
There is currently no status tracker. Tax returns can be sent via HMS Secure File Transfer, check all required documents here under Additional Required Documents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone gotten confirmation that the financial aid office received the docs they sent via secure file transfer?

Anyone gotten confirmation that the financial aid office received the docs they sent via secure file transfer?
I did not receive confirmation, but the documents are now marked as "received" on the HMS Financial Aid Portal.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if Harvard will match financial aid packages?

I'd wait until you get a financial aid offer from them. With the changes to the scholarships, I imagine offers are going to be rather generous as long as your EFC is not really high. Like someone else said, they don't offer merit aid so it is unlikely that they will give you anything other than what you were already going to get based on financial need. This is why they end up losing students to places like Penn, NYU, and WashU each year.

I'd wait until you get a financial aid offer from them. With the changes to the scholarships, I imagine offers are going to be rather generous as long as your EFC is not really high. Like someone else said, they don't offer merit aid so it is unlikely that they will give you anything other than what you were already going to get based on financial need. This is why they end up losing students to places like Penn, NYU, and WashU each year.

That's why I'm curious about how or if they would match need-based aid from schools like Columbia. For those who demonstrate need I am sure that Columbia's need-based aid would be more generous than that of Harvard.

That's why I'm curious about how or if they would match need-based aid from schools like Columbia. For those who demonstrate need I am sure that Columbia's need-based aid would be more generous than that of Harvard.

In my experience, it wasn’t. Especially with HMS’ new financial aid policy where your tuition and fees are covered via scholarships less your EFC.

Haven't received my admissions decision yet... kind of worried...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here receive a financial aid package yet? I hear they’re supposed to come out on a rolling basis and that they were trying to get them out before Revisit

Anyone here receive a financial aid package yet? I hear they’re supposed to come out on a rolling basis and that they were trying to get them out before Revisit
I am still waiting on that and hoping they’ve received all my documentation. Has anyone emailed the fin aid office?

I am still waiting on that and hoping they’ve received all my documentation. Has anyone emailed the fin aid office?
In the interview day materials I saw that fin aid starts rolling out April 1st and received by revisit, so I'd wait until next week to worry.

Has anyone received word about student hosting for the visiting days in April? I requested to stay with a student if possible and am not sure when to start looking for backup options

Has anyone received word about student hosting for the visiting days in April? I requested to stay with a student if possible and am not sure when to start looking for backup options

They are still trying to find students to host.

Reactions: 2 users

If you're worried about whether or not all of your documentation was received you can call the financial aid office and ask them. I called them earlier asking about whether I would receive my package before second look, and they confirmed that if they have received all of your documents, then you will receive your package before second look. They then proceeded to look up my name, and told me that I was all set to go since they had received all of my documentation. Cheers!

Hi everyone! I'm currently preparing to apply for the next upcoming application cycle, and have a concern in terms of letters of recommendation that is probably unique to Harvard Medical School (MD-only) since they 'strongly recommend' letters from all of your advisors. I have one advisor for a project I carried out previously who I think would be able to write me a solid, but not an absolutely amazing letter of recommendation based on my work with him. I was wondering, based on your impressions from this cycle, if you would suggest sending this letter in to follow the 'recommended' rule they have regarding letters (at the risk of diluting stronger letters), or to not send the letter in and have the overall average quality of my letters be higher, despite omitting one research letter?

I
Hi everyone! I'm currently preparing to apply for the next upcoming application cycle, and have a concern in terms of letters of recommendation that is probably unique to Harvard Medical School (MD-only) since they 'strongly recommend' letters from all of your advisors. I have one advisor for a project I carried out previously who I think would be able to write me a solid, but not an absolutely amazing letter of recommendation based on my work with him. I was wondering, based on your impressions from this cycle, if you would suggest sending this letter in to follow the 'recommended' rule they have regarding letters (at the risk of diluting stronger letters), or to not send the letter in and have the overall average quality of my letters be higher, despite omitting one research letter?
Didn't get a letter from one of my past PIs since she was on mat leave and I didn't want to bother her... No problems for me (literally no one asked or mentioned it) and I was fortunate to get an acceptance. Try to get at least one from a different sustained project though!

That might be new. When I applied this only held for MD/PhD students, but I see here they want it for MD students now as well. If the experience is listed on your application, then by this policy they'd want a letter for it.

Letters of Evaluation

That might be new. When I applied this only held for MD/PhD students, but I see here they want it for MD students now as well. If the experience is listed on your application, then by this policy they'd want a letter for it.

Letters of Evaluation
@chaim123 : Thanks! When you applied, did you feel that all of your letters were of the absolute highest caliber (on the level of 'this student is the best I've ever worked with' etc.) or did you have a letter / letters which you felt were solid but not of the absolute highest praise?

I

Didn't get a letter from one of my past PIs since she was on mat leave and I didn't want to bother her... No problems for me (literally no one asked or mentioned it) and I was fortunate to get an acceptance. Try to get at least one from a different sustained project though!
@desert_tortoise : Thank you for letting me know! When you wrote your AMCAS, did you end up listing that experience as a research experience anyways, without the letter? Also, if I may ask, did you apply to Pathways, HST, or both?

As another question, would a research advisor, whom you've taken an independent study with, count as a 'Science Professor Letter'?

As another question, would a research advisor, whom you've taken an independent study with, count as a 'Science Professor Letter'?
That would be a question for the office of admissions. I would say no, since science LOR are typically from professors of science courses for which you received a letter grade.

@chaim123 : Thanks! When you applied, did you feel that all of your letters were of the absolute highest caliber (on the level of 'this student is the best I've ever worked with' etc.) or did you have a letter / letters which you felt were solid but not of the absolute highest praise?

All my letters were of the highest caliber. People who had seen me inside and outside of the classroom and could say with confidence that I was one of the best students they've encountered in their career. That being said, if you have enough high caliber letters, you can include a meh letter due to a requirement. It's not going to hurt you in any way.

just n=1 here but bcuz I did a career-change post-bac, my 2 required science professor recs were likely "just fine"/in the same boat as your situation (I obviously didn't read them but there were 600 ppl in the class and took those classes for 1 year soooo guessing all they said was what grade I got). was worried about those required letters too because thought it would overall dilute the quality of my recs but apparently it was fine!

that being said, knowing about those two made me careful to pick the remainder of my recs veryyyy deliberately-with colleagues/professors/mentors that I had a longstanding professional relationship with. was complimented on those at several interviews, so if you pick them right, having one mediocre one in the bunch shouldn't be a problem :)

Reactions: 2 users
@desert_tortoise : Thank you for letting me know! When you wrote your AMCAS, did you end up listing that experience as a research experience anyways, without the letter? Also, if I may ask, did you apply to Pathways, HST, or both?
Good questions! I did list it as as research experience but did not make it one of my "Most Significant." I only applied Pathways, so it's good to note that my advice might not be fitting for HST since I am unfamiliar with that process

One of my science letters from a PI who supervised me for an Independent Research Project which I did for credit and there was a graded component. I did have another from a more "traditional" science teacher in a classroom setting. Those were the only 2 science letters I had and I had no problems!

Did anyone else on the Wait list read this typo in the FAQ:

6. If I am offered a position, can I defer my admission?
Unfortunately, we are not able to entertain requests for deferral from candidates accepted from our waitlist. If you are certain you will not be able to start medical school in 2018, you should withdraw from our waitlist.

Welp. Guess all those of us on the WL need to withdraw since it would literally be impossible for us to matriculate last year!!!
I suppose this is why you can't always follow the directions in life :laugh:

Eh, Imo it could be more generous. It still blows my mind that with such a huge endowment, Harvard still gives such large loans with people with low SES. Then again, med school has skewed my perception of what is “good debt” where 70-100k is “good.”

Reactions: 4 users
My financial aid email says "The awards listed below are guaranteed for 4 years of the MD program." I have a sibling graduating from undergrad in 2 years - does that mean my HMS scholarship amount would stay the same even after they graduate?

My financial aid email says "The awards listed below are guaranteed for 4 years of the MD program." I have a sibling graduating from undergrad in 2 years - does that mean my HMS scholarship amount would stay the same even after they graduate?
I would send financial aid an email to clarify, but my assumption is that they already accounted for the change since they ask for years 1-4.

Reactions: 1 users
With a closer look at the HMS financial aid changes, debt only lowered on average by 15-20k...which is basically nothing. Therefore, those with high financial aid and no reach scholarship, before it was 140k with the unit loan and now it's 122k. (Although I assume even with reach, this only lowered by 15-20k) Yay, harvard. You just helped me pay for another month of rent. Really wish these schools moved on to a debt-free model or provided more opportunities for merit scholarships.

Reactions: 4 users
Just want to chime in and say that, with Harvard’s new finaid program, it is actually cheaper for me to attend HMS than a tuition-free school from which I was offered an acceptance. I come from a low SES background and can honestly say the aid package is pretty generous.

Hurray for no more unit loan!

Reactions: 8 users
Was anybody able to accept/decline awards on the financial aid portal?

Just want to chime in and say that, with Harvard’s new finaid program, it is actually cheaper for me to attend HMS than a tuition-free school from which I was offered an acceptance. I come from a low SES background and can honestly say the aid package is pretty generous.

Hurray for no more unit loan!

To each it's own. I do not think 120k is very generous, especially for the type of school we are talking about who has a ridiculous amount of money. For your case, you are comparing two schools that are tuition-free, so it ends up being about which school has a lower COL, assuming no reach scholarship. Also, be aware that COL will only get higher as the years progress. 1st year is the cheapest of the 4. Therefore, your debt will go up in loans ~6k after the first year.

Edit: I also want to add that I think it is good that the unit loan is gone and that Harvard is progressing in the right direction. However, I do think they could be doing much much better. 16k-20k decrease in debt is peanuts in the big scheme of things. I honestly would prefer a unit loan like Hopkins (17k) or Yale (15k) which end up being much much more generous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

@randomname123 - did you complete the sibling verification enrollment form before getting your package? got all my docs in on time and that part only showed up like a week ago on the portal and it says its not due till October so didn't think it was factored in to any award offers right away. but seeing everyone's getting their awards already maybe that needed to be in too?

@randomname123 - did you complete the sibling verification enrollment form before getting your package? got all my docs in on time and that part only showed up like a week ago on the portal and it says its not due till October so didn't think it was factored in to any award offers right away. but seeing everyone's getting their awards already maybe that needed to be in too?
I also have a sibling in college. You don’t have to complete it to receive your financial aid package. In fact, you have to wait until your sibling in enrolled for 2019-2020, so it likely can’t be done now.

Does the status of the Sibling Enrollment Form say waived for anyone? Also did anyone notice that under the terms and conditions when you go to accept the awards it says "financial aid awards are determined on an annual basis and are based upon the most recent financial information." I thought the financial aid amount was guaranteed for 4 years???