2018-2019 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R. I hope they told you why you were rejected :/

Mine was just a generic, “it’s all very competitive, consider us for residency or fellowship” email

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Mine was just a generic, “it’s all very competitive, consider us for residency or fellowship” email
So we can reject you again! #wecantgetenoughofit

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually survived with a 516. I guess anything is possible...

Haha I was just playin, it’s a game of inches at this level and no one thing could be responsible. It’s best not to read too much into individual school decisions and just be thankful for what you get in my experience.

Reactions: 11 users
ACCEPTED PATHWAYS AND REACH SCHOLARSHIP....damn I’m torn between here and UCSF

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Surprised my R hasn't come yet. Didn't even interview here lol. Congrats to everyone who got in.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah i got nominated for that too. Is it just based on financial need?

Exact same situation here...

To clarify, we’re you nominated for REACH? I thought they haven’t made decisions for that yet
Sorry yeah upon closer reading nominated, but I come from a very very low income background so I’d imagine I’d qualify for the “need based” portion easily

Sorry yeah upon closer reading nominated, but I come from a very very low income background so I’d imagine I’d qualify for the “need based” portion easily
Yeah seems like as long as they can confirm that you are need based you would get it?

Yeah seems like as long as they can confirm that you are need based you would get it?
I have a pretty low EFC as well, so I’m interested in what the criteria is. I actually can’t find any information about the scholarship

I got the Reach scholarship!! Anyone know how much that is for LOL

Exact same situation here...

To clarify, we’re you nominated for REACH? I thought they haven’t made decisions for that yet

REACH recipient here. It’s a different kind of scholarship. It’s both merit and need-based. Merit-based in the sense that you had to demonstrate some aspect of the acronym in your application. Need-based in the sense that eligibility and amount come down to your financial need. You’ll find out what you’re eligible for in April when financial aid offers are made. So make sure you get your FAFSA and CSS Profile in ASAP. If you want more specifics about it, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 3 users
I have a pretty low EFC as well, so I’m interested in what the criteria is. I actually can’t find any information about the scholarship

Similar boat, cant find any info online on REACH... wonder if well just have to wait on our acceptance packages to see what it is. Regardless, im stoked!!!

Just got the email for the MSTP too. Hurts my heart but I've accepted it lol.

Yeah no I understand. But hey, congrats on all your other acceptances! You killed this cycle

Can any kind soul explain to me the new financial aid changes at HMS like i am 5 years old. HMS is dope but that unit loan is not, so this is exciting.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else still not heard anything post-II? Haven't gotten any emails yet. I'm assuming I'm rejected at this point...

ACCEPTED TO PATHWAYS, 10:09 THIS MORNING!! Mind-melting. Congratulations everyone!!

Can any kind soul explain to me the new financial aid changes at HMS like i am 5 years old. HMS is dope but that unit loan is not, so this is exciting.
Here is my understanding of it... may not be 100% correct

“The new formula for awarding HMS scholarships will be determined by subtracting the expected family contribution (EFC) from the total of HMS tuition plus fees.”

M1 2019 - 2020 tuition and fees = $65,203

For example, say your EFC is $5,000
65,203 - 5,000 = $60,203 in scholarships.

With a total COA of $95,055, subtracting $60,203 in scholarships, you are now expected to pay $35,055 per year via personal money, outside acholships, and institutional/federal loans.

Accepted Pathways!!!!! Super pumped but I'm 99% positive I'm going to be turning it down for Stanford. Someone come take my spot!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Is this the EFC from FAFSA?
This is what I’m wondering too... I have a feeling it’s based on Harvard’s own calculation because they have you fill out the CSS and another institutional financial aid form in addition to the FAFSA.

So am I the only one wondering if the water bottle theory held true?

Lol, my water bottle is sitting pristinely on my desk but I got a nice rejection from them

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the approximate average number of people that get off the waitlist for the HST program?

To recently accepted students, do any of you know how to accept/respond to an offer of admission? I haven't found anything on the application site.