2018-2019 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To recently accepted students, do any of you know how to accept/respond to an offer of admission? I haven't found anything on the application site.
Also does anyone know if they provide anything for second look? Like housing, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So am I the only one wondering if the water bottle theory held true?
I lost my bottle somewhere between my last interview and arriving home that evening and still managed to pull out an A. Losing/destroying it seems as good a strategy as any to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, for accepted students, is HMS coming up on your AAMC account accepted schools tab?

To the current student lurkers (or more informed pre-meds lol) I have a few questions about HMS life:
1. How much $/month do you live on?
2. In the first year in Vandy: how big are the rooms, mini-fridge in room y/n, best/worst parts of living in vandy?
3. What computer do we need upon matriculation? Also, is a tablet worth it?
4. Have you gotten used to the flipped classroom? Is it helpful/painful?

Thank you all so much! I can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

To add a few more questions:
1. Is any of second look funded? Accommodations, etc. I’m figuring not but thought it would ask.
2. Are clinicals true pass fail? And are there shelf exams?
3. What percent of first years live in Vandy?

To the current student lurkers (or more informed pre-meds lol) I have a few questions about HMS life:
1. How much $/month do you live on?
2. In the first year in Vandy: how big are the rooms, mini-fridge in room y/n, best/worst parts of living in vandy?
3. What computer do we need upon matriculation? Also, is a tablet worth it?
4. Have you gotten used to the flipped classroom? Is it helpful/painful?

Thank you all so much! I can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

1. I live on around $2400/mo
2. Rooms vary in size. You get some say in how big or small you want. Everyone moving out will try to sell you their mini fridge in the Facebook group. Best part: walking across the street to be in class. Worst part: being far from your clinical site if you’re at MGH or CHA.
3. Most people use iPads with apple pencils. I do this and have a MacBook Pro. Both were purchased with the $2400 technology allowance they “give” us.
4. I wouldn’t want to go somewhere that did it any differently.

To add a few more questions:
1. Is any of second look funded? Accommodations, etc. I’m figuring not but thought it would ask.
2. Are clinicals true pass fail? And are there shelf exams?
3. What percent of first years live in Vandy?

1. You can request a student host. That’s about it.
2. No, they move to a honors with distinction/honors/pass/fail system. But we don’t actually have honors. And everyone can get honors with distinction. And our grades are averaged. And only grades relevant to the specialty you’re applying to are included. And shelf exams aren’t factored into our grades. It’s a weird, yet extremely beneficial system that no one really fully understands.
3. I’d guess around 85%. We have some people who are married and some people who choose to live elsewhere in the first year. Quite a bit of people move out for PCE.

Reactions: 3 users
1. I live on around $2400/mo
2. Rooms vary in size. You get some say in how big or small you want. Everyone moving out will try to sell you their mini fridge in the Facebook group. Best part: walking across the street to be in class. Worst part: being far from your clinical site if you’re at MGH or CHA.
3. Most people use iPads with apple pencils. I do this and have a MacBook Pro. Both were purchased with the $2400 technology allowance they “give” us.
4. I wouldn’t want to go somewhere that did it any differently.

1. You can request a student host. That’s about it.
2. No, they move to a honors with distinction/honors/pass/fail system. But we don’t actually have honors. And everyone can get honors with distinction. And our grades are averaged. And only grades relevant to the specialty you’re applying to are included. And shelf exams aren’t factored into our grades. It’s a weird, yet extremely beneficial system that no one really fully understands.
3. I’d guess around 85%. We have some people who are married and some people who choose to live elsewhere in the first year. Quite a bit of people move out for PCE.

very helpful, thank you :thumbup:

re: the curriculum, do you feel like it being "condensed"/shorter than at lots of other schools made it more stressful/any less salient? that's something that is def intimidating!

What is this? Is this part of our tuition or is it just money they say we have to spend?

It’s just a technology allowance that they offer once during the 4 years. It comes in the form of a student loan and you’re under no obligation to take it.

very helpful, thank you :thumbup:

re: the curriculum, do you feel like it being "condensed"/shorter than at lots of other schools made it more stressful/any less salient? that's something that is def intimidating!

That was a concern of mine too, but I wouldn’t worry about it. The downside to the accelerated curriculum isn’t that they condensed 2 years of material into 14 months (they didn’t), it’s that they had to cut some stuff. But it’s not an issue since we spend a year on the wards before we take step 1, which helps a ton. The focus of the curriculum is to establish a conceptual understanding of medicine so it’s been easy to fill in the gaps so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t think this A will be real until this friggin plan to enroll tool updates... keep re-reading my admissions email to be sure I didn’t misunderstand it lol

Reactions: 2 users
It’s just a technology allowance that they offer once during the 4 years. It comes in the form of a student loan and you’re under no obligation to take it.

That was a concern of mine too, but I wouldn’t worry about it. The downside to the accelerated curriculum isn’t that they condensed 2 years of material into 14 months (they didn’t), it’s that they had to cut some stuff. But it’s not an issue since we spend a year on the wards before we take step 1, which helps a ton. The focus of the curriculum is to establish a conceptual understanding of medicine so it’s been easy to fill in the gaps so far.

ok thank you that is helpful!

Don’t think this A will be real until this friggin plan to enroll tool updates... keep re-reading my admissions email to be sure I didn’t misunderstand it lol

lolol right?? keep telling the fam/friends "don't get excited, the email COULD have been sent to the wrong people!" won't believe it until we get this mystery packet. but let's be honest, probs still won't believe it :p

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone with questions about HST or MSTP, I’m happy to talk over messages. Both programs have really great revisits that answered all of my questions, but I know the wait can be excruciating.

Anybody know when we can expect the hard copy in the mail lol?
I spoke with someone on admissions this morning and they let me know that they were sent out today. If you begin to get worried they said you can email them to ask for a digital copy.

Anyone else already make a financial aid account? Not seeing the documents tab...

Is there any info on family housing? Off-campus housing is crazy expensive!

Got wait listed to HST, does anyone know from previous years experiences what are the chances of getting of the waitlist

Is there any info on family housing? Off-campus housing is crazy expensive!

Boston is more expensive than some other cities, but I wouldn't classify the prices as crazy expensive. Many students live off campus in their first years. Information on other Harvard owned housing options can be found here if that is of interest to you: Home | Harvard University Housing

Does anyone see the document status tab on the financial aid portal? I’m aware of the secure file transfer server, but don’t see the document tab that’s mentioned when you log in to the portal

Does anyone see the document status tab on the financial aid portal? I’m aware of the secure file transfer server, but don’t see the document tab that’s mentioned when you log in to the portal
No tab here! Just going to use secure file transfer.

Gosh am I doing something wrong? When I enter my email address and AAMC ID into the Log In section of the Financial Aid portal I just get an error telling me to reset my password. I see the site does say that Mac computers aren't supported. Anyone able to get in on a Mac or do I have to go find a PC?

Edit: called the financial aid office. Sounds like I need to go find myself a PC to log in on

Anyone else still not seeing HMS on their AAMC Choose Your Medical School page?

Reactions: 3 users
Gosh am I doing something wrong? When I enter my email address and AAMC ID into the Log In section of the Financial Aid portal I just get an error telling me to reset my password. I see the site does say that Mac computers aren't supported. Anyone able to get in on a Mac or do I have to go find a PC?

Edit: called the financial aid office. Sounds like I need to go find myself a PC to log in on

Hold up, were we not supposed to reset our password? I also got a message asking me to reset my password so I did. After that, I was able to access the portal just fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else still not seeing HMS on their AAMC Choose Your Medical School page?

Portal also hasn't updated - guessing that in the packet we will have to sign and send back an "acceptance offer" document and then after that these things will change. Just a guess but that's how it was with some other schools as well!

Hold up, were we not supposed to reset our password? I also got a message asking me to reset my password so I did. After that, I was able to access the portal just fine.
Interesting! I wish the instructions were more clear. The woman I talked to in Financial Aid said nothing about having to reset the password. She just said "find a PC and then log in using your email address and your AAMC ID for the 'password'." Anyone out there have success using their AAMC ID or are you just resetting your passwords? @modernnarwhal24 ?

Interesting! I wish the instructions were more clear. The woman I talked to in Financial Aid said nothing about having to reset the password. She just said "find a PC and then log in using your email address and your AAMC ID for the 'password'." Anyone out there have success using their AAMC ID or are you just resetting your passwords? @modernnarwhal24 ?

It really doesn't matter (as someone who goes here and has used that portal multiple times). If you're having trouble, reset your password. It won't affect your ability to apply for aid.

Is this still for the Financial Aid App on Harvards portal? I was able to do it on my Mac!!

Harvard just popped up in the Choose Your Medical School tool, FYI.

Reactions: 4 users
Financial aid package? i thought those would go out later?
I’m assuming she means the acceptance package they mailed out this week. I’m on the other side of the country, so I’m expecting it to take a bit

I’m assuming she means the acceptance package they mailed out this week. I’m on the other side of the country, so I’m expecting it to take a bit
yep the acceptance package! i'm also across the country so assuming it will take a little longer

Do any current students remember what the third day of HMS revisit weekend looks like? I may have to leave early and would like to know what I'd be missing out on
Adding on to this, wondering if anyone can just add on to this about what revisit is like, what types of events are planned, how much of the day is scheduled, etc.

Don't we just have to fill out the application that is under the "Applications" tab and then send documents through the Secure Server?

Yeah I think so, but on the online fin aid portal it says there should be a documents section where the returns and FAFSA/CSS show up if they are received

Yeah I think so, but on the online fin aid portal it says there should be a documents section where the returns and FAFSA/CSS show up if they are received
I see, in that case no, I dont see a documents tab!

Anyone know if we can scan and email our Response to Acceptance letter that came in the mail instead of mailing it? I just got it and I'm terrified it'll get there past the deadline...

Anyone know if we can scan and email our Response to Acceptance letter that came in the mail instead of mailing it? I just got it and I'm terrified it'll get there past the deadline...
Yes you can email it! I did!