2018-2019 Hofstra University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what do you guys think will be the current trend with hofstra for years to come? I was reading some previous threads about it and sometimes it is compared to Einstein and other upper-mid-tiers of the like, but the school has floated ~70 for two years now. I get that the school is new and has the Northwell system, but does anybody else think it should have climbed higher by now? How do you guys think hofstra compares to stonybrook and downstate/how it will compare in a couple years? Thanks :)
I have a strong sense that they’re moving towards free tuition which is why I want to get accepted here! During my interview, they mentioned NYU and one of the admissions ladies said that they’re *really* working towards that (emphasis on the “really”). She mentioned all the funding and donation money that they got from Donald and Barbara Zucker so she was trying to say that they’re working on getting more, hopefully for free tuition

Members don't see this ad.

Welp, so much for hearing by mid january :(

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2nd tier WL interviewed sept. good luck to those still in the game :(

Reactions: 2 users
1st tier WL, interviewed in oct.

First tier waitlist today from interviewing in the beginning of Sept. I was bracing myself for a rejection and now I am so excited to get a second chance!!

Reactions: 1 user
2nd tier wait list interviewed late September. Anyone know anything about the tiers? How many people are in each/ is it nearly impossible to get off second tier?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
received an email saying "your app is still under review we'll let you know by MARCH" (interviewed late nov)

Just received an email saying that my application is under continued review, and will continue to be considered between now and the end of March when I would receive a definitive decision. Interviewed right before Christmas.

Can someone explain what first tier vs second tier waitlist is? I got an email saying I am still under consideration and would hear by March.

How many tiers are there?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Idk what the tiers of waitlists are, but has anyone else received this email?

"Thank you for your continued interest in the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. We enjoyed meeting you on your interview day and appreciate the patience that you have shown while we have evaluated your application.

This email serves as an update that your application remains under review and will continue to be considered for a position in our next class between now and the end of March. By then, you will receive a definitive admissions decision via email and your portal content will also be updated accordingly at that time.

We greatly appreciate your continued patience during this admissions cycle and wish you the very best as the season progresses."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I also just received the continued interest email. I wonder if it means they’re between accept/WL or WL/R or none of those lol

Edit: Interviewed September

"Thank you for your continued interest in the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. We enjoyed meeting you on your interview day and appreciate the patience that you have shown while we have evaluated your application.

This email serves as an update that your application remains under review and will continue to be considered for a position in our next class between now and the end of March. By then, you will receive a definitive admissions decision via email and your portal content will also be updated accordingly at that time.

We greatly appreciate your continued patience during this admissions cycle and wish you the very best as the season progresses."

+1

When'd you interview? Sounds like people from late November/early December and onward got that message, and perhaps they're waiting to finish up their interviews before making final decisions on the rest of us.

+1

I think it means we're not on the waitlist but we're not accepted and they're still thinking about us

Reactions: 2 users
When'd you interview? Sounds like people from late November/early December and onward got that message, and perhaps they're waiting to finish up their interviews before making final decisions on the rest of us.
Got the same message, interviewed mid-Dec.

Did anybody from december get anything other than this message?

Last edited:
Early December interview

According to this doozy of a court case (and the hilarious footnotes) involving some guy suing Hofstra because he got WLed and ultimately rejected, Hofstra had always maintained a two-tiered waitlist, but apparently it used to be split into "preferred WL" and "regular WL" instead of "Tier I" and "Tier II". At least that's what I gather from all this.

Example footnote: "During a court conference on October 6, 2011, plaintiff stated that he chose to sue Hofstra, and not the other institutions, because it 'is the school [he] would most like to go to' and because he 'made it the furthest along in the admissions process at Hofstra.'"

+1

I think it means we're not on the waitlist but we're not accepted and they're still thinking about us
I took it as it has just taken longer than expected to review us again post-II, but who knows? Last year people that interviewed around the new year seemed to get final decisions in early February.

+1

Looks like I’m in the minority here... I interviewed in September and got this email. Super stoked since I LOVED this school... #1 choice if I were to get in :)

Reactions: 3 users
I got the email cited above but yesterday I messaged the director for MD/PhD admissions and she said I was on the waitlist. (But this may be unique the MD/PhD program...)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

According to this doozy of a court case (and the hilarious footnotes) involving some guy suing Hofstra because he got WLed and ultimately rejected, Hofstra had always maintained a two-tiered waitlist, but apparently it used to be split into "preferred WL" and "regular WL" instead of "Tier I" and "Tier II". At least that's what I gather from all this.

Example footnote: "During a court conference on October 6, 2011, plaintiff stated that he chose to sue Hofstra, and not the other institutions, because it 'is the school [he] would most like to go to' and because he 'made it the furthest along in the admissions process at Hofstra.'"
I actually read the entire case...how awkward would it be to then get accepted to a school you sued?!!!

Also got the “still under review” email today, interviewed early Dec!

I actually read the entire case...how awkward would it be to then get accepted to a school you sued?!!!

I read it as well...apparently he sued UCLA Geffen a couple years later too (while a law student there)!

In the famous affirmative action case that struck down racial quotas but upheld affirmative action, Regents of the University of California v. Bakke, the plaintiff was a white male named Allen P Bakke who was rejected from UC Davis's medical school. After the ruling, UC Davis had to admit him due to an order from the Supreme Court. Bakke now works as an anesthesiologist at the Mayo Clinic, so he seems to have done pretty well for himself.

On the topic of Hofstra though, it's interesting that they kept a preferred waitlist but hid its existence until they began announcing Tier I / Tier II waitlist placements last year.

Hofstra sent me an email offering preferred admission to their undergrad after placing me on the second-tier waitlist. That's just cold...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I received the "continued consideration" email on 1/18.

Looks like I’m in the minority here... I interviewed in September and got this email. Super stoked since I LOVED this school... #1 choice if I were to get in :)

Hey! So I noticed that you got into plenty of great schools (Congrats!), but you still prefer Hofstra as your first choice. I was just wondering why you still prefer Hofstra as your #1 choice despite your other acceptances (just curious). We can PM if you like (although I can't start a message with you unfortunately). I am mostly just curious because I have a really tough decision on my hands with choosing between Hofstra and a higher ranked school and I'm not sure what I should be focusing on. Thanks!

Hey! So I noticed that you got into plenty of great schools (Congrats!), but you still prefer Hofstra as your first choice. I was just wondering why you still prefer Hofstra as your #1 choice despite your other acceptances (just curious). We can PM if you like (although I can't start a message with you unfortunately). I am mostly just curious because I have a really tough decision on my hands with choosing between Hofstra and a higher ranked school and I'm not sure what I should be focusing on. Thanks!

1. Money
2. Both my best friends attend.
3. Close to my dog.

When I interviewed back on 11/1, I really loved the school because the facilities are all new and modern. The SOM building was built recently of course since the school opened in 2011. I loved the immediate EMT classes during first year because it gives you real clinical exposure. I love the ultrasound certificate class which admissions people said that residency programs always compliment their students on. I love the great research opportunities overseas and within their institution.

I grew up and currently live in NYC and went to undergrad in the city as well so I like the fact that it’s close to home but far enough away into the suburbs that I feel like I will have some variety in terms of environment.

Honestly, those two things did it for me: the location, and the opportunities offered in the form or research and extracurricular.